Dollis Brook - West Finchley
The Dollis Brook flows south west
Post to the north Woodside Park
Post to the west Mill Hill East
Post to the south Finchley Church End
Friends Meeting House. In 1945 Finchley Quakers began to meet hiring the Boy Scout headquarters. From 1955, it met in in a Nether Street house owned by a member. In 1967 the Meeting House was built using the same garden. For some time it was used by the Finchley and District Peace Campaign.
The road name was noted in 1424
Park Entrance. There are decorative gates and piers and what is described as ‘municipal-style planting; along a grass strip outside the park. A crenellated lodge of red and yellow brick.
Victoria Park. The park opened in 1902 but had been planned to commemorate Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee in 1887. The layout includes a rectangular formal garden enclosed by a hedge on the south-east and to the rear of the park are tennis courts, hedged bowling green and the recreation ground. A small area of garden in the north is dedicated to Vyvyan Wells, former Councillor and Mayor, opened in 1955.
Police Station. This location for the police dates from 1886 when they bought Wentworth Lodge on this site and opened in 1889. It was rebuilt in 1965.
Finchley Methodist church. The church hall is the original chapel designed by Charles Bell in 1879 when it opened as Wentworth Park Wesleyan chapel.
Cornwall House. Villa from 1795 in brick. Now used as a doctor’s surgery.
Court House Gardens
The name relate to Court House which was in this area and may have been here in 1664. In 1790 it was the main house of the Frith estate and it is possible that the manorial courts were held there. It was demolished and the remains of the estate sold in 1936. The farm house was partly demolished in 1927 and completly by 1936. The buildings were however used by the Sandwell Ladies College.
60 plaque to the great Harry Beck, designer of the London Underground tube map.
Etchingham Park Road
Finchley Bowling Club. Opened here in 1922
Entrance lodge to Brent Lodge remains
Fursby House. Late 18th house. The grounds of the house became the site of Batho's nursery
Sellers Hall Close
On the site of a house called Elm Grange demolished after 1894.
This ran on the 'nether' or far side of Finchley Common
Site of Moss Hall - a house which may have existed in the 15th, home of the Moss family, and which was demolished in 1927 after much of the estate had been built up.
West Finchley Station. Opened 1933. It now lies between High Barnet and Woodside Park on the Northern Line but was built by the London North East Railway. This section of the High Barnet branch was incorporated into the London Underground network as part of the Northern Heights scheme begun in the late 1930s. West Finchley station was first served by Northern line trains in 1940 and LNER services ended in 1941. The area was originally called ‘Nether Street’ but this was not thought to be a good name for the railway station and it was therefore called ‘West Finchley’. It was cheaply built in a style similar to the earlier, 1872, stations on the line and in this older style since material and fittings from old stations in Northern England were used – the footbridge came from Wintersett and Ryhill, near Barnsley. In 1940 it was first used by underground trains.
187 Mosshall Junior School
200 Gate house to Brent Lodge. Remains of the Brent Lodge Estate, were bought by the Brent Garden College Society and building plots leased out. The House itself was demolished after the Second World War.
361 Lodge Cottage. 19th house with scalloped bargeboards and a rustic wooden porch.
Pillar box by A. Handyside & Co. Ltd. 1879 - c.1884
Cedar Court. This was built before 1935 on the site of Brent Lodge, home of banker Francis Hamilton demolished in 1905.. This had been itself built on the site of Elm Grange and Elm Villa in 1824.
Entrance lodge to Brent Lodge remains
Cedars Court part of the Brent Garden Village development
Site of Jersey Farm. Large dairy farm, gone by 1920
British History, Finchley web site
Heathfield. Finchley and Whetstone Past
London Gardens Online web site
Finchley Friends web site
Pevsner and Cherry. North London.