Tributaries to River Roding = Chigwell Station

Thames Tributary – tributaries to the River Roding
The tributary flows south west and is joined by a tributary from the south

TQ 43620 92978

Area along Chigwell High Road with the station and shops surrounded by Essex style posh suburbia

Post to the west Chigwell
Post to the north Roding Lane
Post to the east Chigwell
Post to the south Chigwell

Chigwell High Road
Chigwell Hall. Built by Norman Shaw in 1876. It was commissioned by Alfred Savill and built by Norman Shaw. Alfred Savill who founded Savill’s Estate Agency. In 1905, it was bought by Walter Waugh and in 1938, by the Metropolitan Police. It is now used for events and weddings.
Metropolitan Police Sports Ground
Chigwell Station. Half a mile from the village centre with handsome staircases, ticket office and waiting rooms. It was opened in 1903 by the Great Eastern Railway on the Fairlop Loop. This became part of London Underground Central Line as part of the New Works Programme and electric Underground trains served the station from 1948
Siding on the east side was used to load fruit from local orchards. It had gone by the 1920s,
Orchard opened near the station by the Great Eastern Railway for fruit for its own hotels
Cottages built near the station by the Great Eastern Railway
William IV. Modern pub which has replaced an older one
Barstow Eve’s estate agents in the old building of William IV.

Hainault Road

Day. London Underground
Essex County Council. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. Essex


Popular posts from this blog

Bromley by Bow

South Norwood

River Lea/Bow Creek Canning Town