Thames Tributary River Roding - Charlie Brown's
The Roding continues to flow south
TQ 41114 90415
Major road junction which intersects with the Roding and its linear park.
Post to the north Woodford Bridge
Post to the south Wanstead
Winn Bridge. This is where a stream – the Wynn Brook – joins the Roding. The bridge was passed to the Middlesex and Essex turnpike trust, and then the county in 1872
Parish water pump by the bridge, restored and repainted
Parish water pump eastern side of the road, restored and
Eastern sewage works. Built by the local board in 1882 and modernised to serves the greater part of Woodford in the 1950s. This area is now part of the park.
Chigwell Road Depot. This is now the Redbridge Reuse and Recycling Centre or Chigwell Reuse and Recycling Centre. It is managed by Shanks East London.
Roding Valley Park. Linear park along the river originally associated with the construction of the motorway
Storm tanks owned by Thames Water
Maybank Works – trading estate with many small works
The Bridge Church
The Bridge Community Centre. Part of the Bridge Church and opened in 2004
Football and Cricket Store.
North Circular Road
North circular. On this stretch the road is still called Southend Road up to Charlie Brown’s Roundabout where it turns south as the North Circular Road and Southend Road continues eastwards. Above the roundabout it is on an elevated junction with the M11. A bridge on the current northbound north circular to the M11 slip-road marks the location of an un-built southern section of the M11.
Junction 4 – Charlie Brown’s Roundabout. This is the start of the M11 at the north circular junction heading north in three lanes both ways. It is lit using high pressure sodium lighting replacing yellow low pressure sodium lighting. Originally the road was supposed to start at The Angel, Islington and junction numbers 1, 2 and 3 were kept for an inner London section. It was to connect here with a motorway to Essex and a motorway standard North Circular and it was built with spaces which would allow the road to merge. This section was built by W & C French Engineering,
Charlie Brown’s. in the 1890s Charlie Brown, a former boxer, took over the ownership of the Railway Tavern in Limehouse. Sailors brought mementoes from round the world and hang them on the wall of the pub. Charlie died in 1932 and his son Charlie ran the Blue Posts also in Limehouse but in 1938 he moved to Woodford, and opened The Roundabout pub here where the mementoes were displayed. The pub was demolished for road construction
Medieval watermill under the roundabout on the Roding.
Woodford trading Estate
The Orbital Centre
Unity Trading Estate
British History on line
London Borough of Redbridge, Web site
Pub History. Web site
SABRE Web site
Victoria County History. Essex