Edgware Brook Great Stanmore

Edgware Brook

The Edgware brook flows south and east. At this point it is called the Stanburn Stream

Post to the west Bentley Priory
Post to the south Stanmore Park

Aylmer Close
1 House built in 1963 and Designed by Edward Samuel. There is an entrance terrace, with unpainted board-marked reinforced concrete beams and a  timber-framed structure above, There is an adults' wing and  children's wing- the children's bedrooms each have a mezzanine gallery with a timber balustrade. This is a modern house of quality with many original interior features.

Aylmer Drive
Private road with manned gatehouse at the eastern end. It is on the site of a mediaeval tenement called Aylwards which also owned fields going down the hill. Aylwards was still extant in 1934 when Sir John Rees, Bt., M.P. and his son Sir Richard Had successively owned it.

Bentley Priory Park
Deer park. The herd of fallow deer are said to be in a private park.
Boot Pond. Spring fed pond, allegedly boot shaped. 

Bowls Close
Site of Bowls House.

Chambers Walk
Gated development on the Stanmore Park Estate. Built early 21st

Cherry Tree Way
Married quarters built here for officers stationed at Bentley Priory in the 1960s and have since been sold. New houses and flats in an 'Olde Worlde' Arts and Crafts style have been built as the RAF properties were sold and sometimes they incorporated parts of the older building

Church Road
Church Road follows the line of an old route at the bottom of which linked Watling Street with Harrow Weald and Uxbridge.
21 Regent House a red brick 18th house with an 18th door case
35 Spice Rack. In an old post office building from the 1930s
43 The Crazy Horse. This tapas and late night cocktail bar is a conversion of the Crown Hotel first licensed in 1803.
Bernays Gardens. The gardens are on two sides by 19th brick walls. Red brick walls to Bernays Gardens enclose it to form a "secret" garden within. They have been repaired and rebuilt several times and are made up of blocked doorways, buttresses and assorted bricks. Samuel Wallrock planted the grounds of the Croft with mature trees some of which were rare species replanted from Aldenham House and some of which remain in the Gardens. It is entered through a wooden gateway with grilles. Serpentine paths cross the gardens, and there are many mature trees including a copper beech, oaks, yew, and horse chestnuts.  The Park Shelter – also called the Cowsheds – backs onto the garden of Cowman’s Cottage. The Tudor well cover, now used as a large, ornate plant pot, is an interesting relic. The northern part of the grounds were purchased from the Parochial Church Council in 1948 and opened to the public as Bernays Gardens in 1950. The name relates to the Bernays family - Leopold Bernays was Rector here from 1860-1883, followed by his son Stewart 1898-1924.

Dennis Lane
Dennis Lane, so called by 1578, and its southerly extensions may mark a north to south prehistoric track way older than Watling Street. In 1865 it sloped upwards between fields.
Stanmore Tennis Club. Dates from 1936

Elm Park Road
A cul-de-sac with detached houses

Green Lane
5 Pinnacle Place. 19th house
Pynnacles. This was the name of a medieval tenement and covered the land between Green Lane and Stanmore Hill. The area included “Butts Field”, which was used fir archery practice in the 16th. The house known as Pynnacles was at the junction with Church Road and fronted onto Green Lane. The house was at one time occupied by Col. Hamilton Tovey Tennent who, encouraged by the Hamilton-Gordons and Queen Adelaide was responsible for providing the new church. It was burnt down in 1930 and thus released several acres of land for development.
1-2 brick cottages built 1820,
1-4 Franklyn Cottages, built 1813 with some original timber features
1-4 Park Cottages are set back down a lane. They are semi-detached cottages in brick.
1-4 Pinnacle Place. Dated as 1822 by a wall plaque.
5 Pinnacle Place. Early 19th and set back
3-6 Green Lane Cottages in red brick
7, 8, 9 row of 19th cottages in brick with a weather boarded first-floor
11-12 Green Lane Cottages in brick
Benhale Close. On the site of a 19th mansion of this name
Boveda. 20th building with white render and a pantile roof.
Chart Cottages, built in 1903 with some original features remaining.
Cherchefelle Mews. Sheltered housing built in the late 1980s which includes the 19th lodge to Pynnacles House.
Culverlands Close. On the site of a 19th mansion of this name
Fordyce, built 1908 and designed by K Wilson in brick and mock timber framing
Hillcrest Cottages. Built 1903
Littlecote built around 1910 by Francis Creamer, a local builder,
Martinsell built around 1910 by Francis Creamer, a local builder,
Olde Cottage, a low building with timber framing. And white washed weather-boarding. It could be 17th
Park House. 19th house in red brick with some blind, painted windows.
Rylands. Building of 1880, containing three timber framed bays possibly from a 17th barn. In the garden is a section of the wall of the original Pynnacles House.
Tremar. Built in 1935 by A. Abbot for a Mr Smith. It rendered in pink
Woodside. Built 1893 by Arnold Mitchell in the style of Norman Shaw. Demolished in 1962.

Halsbury Close
1 house built in 1938-9 by Rudolf Frankel in brick for his sister. A wing incorporates the garage. The main rooms face the garden, and at a corner is a set back paved verandah under am oversailing first floor, supported on single post.  Inside are some original features including the bell system to the former maid's room and original bookcases in the lounge.
2 also by Frankel, but has been much altered.

Lady Aylesford Avenue
Site of Stanmore Park and development of RAF Station early  21st

Old Church Lane
The line of Old Church Lane follows a medieval route which was extended southward by successive developments. The site of the medieval village was marked only by the moat of the manor-house and population gradually moved from this area to the present Church Road.
St John the Evangelist. Nice new church begun in 1849 by Henry Clutton in Kentish Rag and Bath stone - materials which stand out against the dark red brick of the surrounding buildings.  Its battlemented tower is the focus of views around the area. The land was given by Colonel Hamilton Tovey Tennent of Pynnacles. Inside are two stained glass windows by Edward Burne-Jones, 1885 and one by Thomas Willement 1849. The font has the Wolstenholme Arms. Monuments were transferred from the Old Church, including those to John Burnell, John Dalton, Sir John Wolstenholme and others.
Old church. St John the Evangelist. The ruined church built 1632 is picturesque but of architectural importance as an early classical brick church without aisles or a choir. It replaced an earlier medieval building amd was built on a more northerly site to follow population movements. It was paid for by the City merchant adventurer Sir John Wolstenholme and is attributed to Nicholas Stone It was dedicated by Archbishop Laud, and this consecration was one of the reasons given for beheading him.   The roof was removed when the new church was built in 1849. It has a west tower and a mortuary chapel attached to the side. The Hollond tomb of 1867 was in the centre of the old nave and the coffin of the 4th Earl of Aberdeen, Prime Minister 1852-55, is in a vault here, recently recovered. The ivy-covered ruins were abandoned in 1845 on account of its alleged dangerous condition. There were protests against proposed demolition and Considerable renovation work has been done and the church is still consecrated and occasionally used. It has been paved inside.
Saint Mary's Church. This replaced a Saxon church on the same site possibly in the 14th. . It was south of the present churches and its foundations were found in the construction of the railway.
Churchyard.  This is surrounded by clipped hedging and contains a war memorial and many monuments. These include: tomb of Philip Jackson; an urn to Mary Wood; the tomb of librettist W. S. Gilbert; tomb of Mark Beaufoy astronomer and vinegar brewer; a grave with 'Mackintosh' on it; an obelisk erected by J C Loudon to his parents; Tomb of Betty Jellicoe the five-year old daughter of Admiral of the Fleet Earl Jellicoe. Among the trees are two yews, a large Wellingtonia and an oak tree. There is a lych gate at the entrance.
War Memorial. This is in Cornish granite in the shape of a Celtic cross.  Rectangular bronze panels list the names of the 57 men of Stanmore who did not return from action in the Great War. A panel read '1914 - 1918. Remember with thanksgiving the true and faithful men who in these years of war went forth from this place for God and the right, the names of those who returned not again are here inscribed to be honoured for evermore'. The memorial was dedicated in by the local vicar
Bowl of a water fountain. This stood originally at the junction of Green Lane and Stanmore Hill but is now outside St John's.
Cowman’s Cottage, Church House Cottage and Church House. 16th 13 windows length range of buildings which are all linked and form a whole. They are  ‘Tudorbethan’ buildings done up by Samuel Wallrock to create "period" buildings using historic details.  They have ornate Tudor style chimneys, stone mullion windows with leaded lights and the rear has exposed timber work with infill render panels. They were made up of cottages and outbuildings, probably of the old Manor, to form a 'Tudor' banqueting hall and guest accommodation for Wallrock’s new Manor House. He became bankrupt in 1932 having spent an estimated £100,000 on all this so the Church took over the decorative outbuildings as a church hall and verger's residence. On Church House Cottage is a plaque saying 'Children of our hearts learn from flowers that grow in golden days' and in front is a terrace with flower beds and palms,
Tithe Barn.  17th barn extensively rebuilt in the 18th. This was used to store crops given in payment to the manor by the Parish. Long, brick range with gabled timbered entrance.
Lych-gate, located in the open space by Cherry Tree Way.  It appears to have been placed here after 1935. It is built of old timbers, although these are not joined together.
Gate House Lodge. Another Tudornbethan building by Wallrock
Old Church House and Stanmore House. This is converted from stabling for 6 horses and a covered way added in the 18th

Pynnacles Close
10 Oak Trees, is thought to be by Rudolf Frankel
Elms Lawn Tennis Club
The Elms had been built by 1879 behind the buildings on the north side of Church Road, with a drive from near the Crown pub,

Rectory Close
Developed in 1958

Rectory Lane
Rectory Lane, previously known as Colliers Lane, was a public highway and is now a dead end. It is lined with trees in the churchyard and the hedge. This creates a green 'tunnel' over the lane.
Rectory.  In 1721 the 1st Duke of Chandos assisted George Hudson to build a rectory. It had a pedimented gable. It was demolished in 1960 and replaced on the same site.
Wolstemhome, sheltered housing for Harrow Churches Housing Association.

Stanmore Hill
Stanmore Hill, reaching the Uxbridge road between Dennis Lane and Green Lane, may have started as a branch from Green Lane, which it meets half-way up the slope; since the 18th.
The Queen's Head, licensed by 1751 and was on the corner of the hill and Church Road in 1888, when it was no longer an inn;
5 Lebanese restaurant. Previously Alfies and before that a pub called The Malthouse.
13 gardener’s cottage,  19th house in yellow brick.
17 Elm House. Three-quarters of an 18th  red brick house. In 1888 it had a kitchen garden, greenhouse, orchard and tennis lawn. It retains a boundary wall.
19-21 19th houses of with diapered blue brick, fretted bargeboards and decorative chimneys. This was a bank.
23 Nunlands, with a 19th stucco refacing but built 1720. In the 18th it was called Talbot House. It is now offices.
33 19th house in red brick.
37 is an early 18th building taken over in 1898 by Hendon Rural District Council as Council Offices. One room was used as the council chamber. In 1927 Alfred Busbridge and Sons, builders bought it from the Council.
42-44 Goodengate. 19th house divided up into flats.  There is an iron balcony at the first floor.
52 Ivy Cottage - 54 late 18th cottages in brick.
56 19th house in stock brick with gables plus fretted barge- boards
Adjacent to 56. High Street Infants School. Set up in 1845 by Miss Martin of Woodlands. The architect was H.E. Kendall who designed a schoolroom and a master’s house in an ornamental half-timbered style. Control lay with the rector until 1899, when it went under the same management as the National School. In 1960 the pupils moved to the National School building and then to St. John's school in Green Lane. The original building was then demolished,
60 The Cott. 1839 with alterations in 1907 by E.H. Appleton. It has mock timber framing, white render and fish scale roof tiles
73 18th houses with a Venetian window and over the door a keystone carved with a bearded face. It is featured in Richardson and Eberlein’s “The Smaller English House of the Later Renaissance 1660-1830” as a particularly good example. It was once the police station with basement cells– the iron bars on the windows are still visible. . It was called Robin Hill in the 1930s and Loscombe Lodge in 1899, when for two years it was the home of Edward Wilson when he was studying as a doctor in Stanmore. He was then junior surgeon and zoologist on the Discovery with Captain Scott. He died during the expedition and Cape Wilson in Antarctica is named after him.
75-81 late 19th houses in mirrored pairs. They have timber casement windows.
78 Abercorn Arms. Named after the Marquis of Abercorn who owned Bentley Priory Estate in 1788. It was temporarily renamed the Royal hotel by 1865. It is a three-storeyed building of 1800 in red brick, with a veranda along the end facing the road and a 20th extension. It was here that the Prince Regent met the King of Prussia and Louis XVIII of France in 1814, at the end of Louis’ years of exile. Louis was returning to France and there was a procession through the town
Signpost outside the Abercorn Arms.
K6 telephone box outside the pub
83-85 the former Post Office with a modern shop front.
97 a shop front in front of a two storey white rendered building
99 smithy converted to a car repair workshop. Inside are mid-19th fittings. It has a cast iron front window with rosettes decoration.
103-107 a late 19th composition in red brick with an octagonal corner turret. It has a 19th shop front and hanging sign.
111 Early 19th building with a modern shop front. It was formerly an abattoir
113 Early 19th building with a shop front and entrance on the corner. There is timber-cladding on the first floor plus gothic windows
129 a 19th house in Gothic style with timber and render.
BP filling station on the site of Woodlands, owned from 1885 by Lord Halsbury, Lord Chancellor
Load of Hay pub at the top of the road. It was made up of three former cottages in 1868. 1938.
Black Horse pub listed in 1851,
King's Head, formerly the Three Pigeons, stood in 1730
National School.  Founded before 1826 when it joined the National Society. It was supported by voluntary contributions and had 60 pupils in 1833. A new building was opened in 1861 consisting of boys' and girls' school rooms and teacher’s house. By 1906 it could take 488 children although there were actually far less. In 1960, the juniors moved to St. John's school and the infants in 1964 by which time a new school had been built. The old school was demolished.
Ravendene.   19th house which has been divided and facing Stangate Gardens
Workhouse on the east side of Stanmore Hill from 1788 plus a separate schoolhouse from 1826. It was built by Messrs Grove and Fitch and there was also a cage for imprisoning wrongdoers. It was closed by 1865
Stanmore Recreation ground
Stanmore Library

Stanmore Park
Stanmore Park, excavations undertaken have revealed a smaller building, dating to the early 18th which became part of a larger house, built in the 1760s, for the banker Andrew Drummond. Drummond began to acquire kind in Stanmore after the Duke of Chandos opened an account at his Charing Cross bank. Drummond is thought to have had a Palladian mansion built in 1763 on his estate designed by architect John Vardy on the site of the earlier building. It was completed by William Chambers after Vardy's death and later altered by Henry Holland in 1786/7. In 1816, it was the home of the Countess of Aylesford as Drummond's tenant.  The mansion stood in extensive grounds, which extended to Belmont to the south and Boot pond to the north. The parkland was reputedly laid out for Andrew Drummond by 'Capability' Brown and later Repton. Old Church farm formed part of the area and this was bought by the Marquis of Abercorn, as the Stanmore Park estate, in 1839. Abercorn, sold the Stanmore mansion in 1848to George Carr Glyn, later Lord Wolverton a partner in Glyn, Mills & Co. The house, after some 50 years as a boys' preparatory school belonging to Herbert Kemball Cook which came here from Brighton and in 1937 merged with Stratton School in Brickendon. It was the sold to the air ministry and the mansion was demolished in 1938 to make way for RAF Stanmore. Many trees, including oaks, elms, birch and the very rare willow-leaved oak, upwards of 200 years old, were uprooted.
Swimming pool - During the period as a school an earlier fish pond became an outdoor swimming pool.
RAF Stanmore Park was opened in 1939 and closed in 1997. In 1939 Balloon command was established here. Some buildings remain in community use.

Tudor Well Close
The Tudor well cover, from which Tudor Well Close gets its name, is thought to have been moved from the grounds of the original Manor House

Uxbridge Road
Uxbridge Road was previously called Colliers Lane but it was a 'new' road in 1800. The Stanburn flowed through a culvert
1 Church Lodge. Holland Lodge sited in the churchyard. It is a 19th building with fish scale tile roof, ornate ceramic panels and it has exposed timber framing. On the barge boards is a crest and the motto ‘Vincit Qui Se Vincit’ over the central window is 'Erected in Loving Memory of Robert Holland by Ellen Julia his widow 1881 B. Binyon architect'. Behind is a red brick range with a gateway to a small yard. It was designed in 1881 by Brightwen Binyon an Ipswich architect. Hollond was an MP and balloonist.
Entrance piers to Stanmore Park. 19th Stone decorative frieze. They are an attractive reminder of the scale and grandeur of the house that once stood there
Fingerpost sign of a type introduced in the 1920s

British History, Stanmore. Web site
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Clunn.  Face of London
London Borough of Harrow. Web site.
London Encyclopaedia
London Gardens Online web site
Middlesex County Council. History of Middlesex
Nairn, Nairn’s’ London
Pevsner and Cherry. North West London
Pubs Galore web site
Stanmore Tennis Club. Web site
Stevenson. Middlesex
St.John’s church, Stanmore. Web site
Walford.  Village London


Mike Roberts said…
43 The Crazy Horse - Now demolished.

Popular posts from this blog

Bromley by Bow

South Norwood

River Lea/Bow Creek Canning Town