North London Railway - Willesden Junction
Post to the east Willesden Junction
This square only covers the north east corner of the square
Channel Gate Road
A new street driven through the railway cottages estate, demolishing the School in Old Oak Lane, and 8 houses in Goodhall and Stephenson Streets. It provides access to a Channel Tunnel Freight Depot
Housing for London North West Railway employees built in 1889 in a remote corner of North Acton. Originally, the whole estate was the private property of the railway company and thus called Railway Cottages. The former Borough of Acton may have named the streets when they were adopted; choosing names Stoke for their railway associations.
Notice saying ‘Any person leaving the gate open will be liable to pay 40 shillings’
Trading and industrial area on the site of old allotments
Housing for London North West Railway employees
76-78 clubhouse. This was a private club and institute for railway workers. It is now flats.
Grand Union Canal
Old Oak Lane Bridge. There is a bench mark on the south west side.
Railway Bridge (Willesden to Acton)
Industrial and trading units
Old Oak Lane
50 Fishermans Arms. Built Between 1915 and 1935, and replaced three houses. There appears to have been an earlier pub adjacent to the north which was later used as a British Railways hostel – ie somewhere for railway staff to stay when they finished a shift far from home.
St Luke mission church, Founded 1894- 1898, Gone
Willesden Junction Station. The station is made up of a number of parts – in effect three sites. It currently services a complex array of services with London Underground trains on the Bakerloo line running between Elephant and Castle and Harrow and Wealdstone, with some going to Stonebridge Park. Overground trains run to Watford Junction, Euston, Richmond, Stratford and Clapham Junction, in addition to non-stopping trains between Euston and the Midlands. Historically there have been other routes and a more complex pattern of services.
The West Coast Main Line station opened by the London and North West Railway in 1866. This closed to passengers in 1962 when platforms were removed to aid electrification and straighten the tracks. There are no platforms on this station serving this line now.
The High-Level station on the North London Line opened in 1869 above the West Coast Main line station at right angles. This now has an island platform rebuilt in 1956, which serve the North London and the West London Line. An additional siding from in the late 1990s was built to allow Royal Mail trains to reach their Stonebridge Park depot.
The Low-Level station on the Watford Direct Current Line opened in 1910 north of the Main Line station. This had bay platforms which could take Bakerloo trains but in the 1960s were curtailed by a new toilet block. This also now has an island platform, used by Bakerloo line trains, since 1915 and also London Overground services from Euston to Watford Junction. There were no London Underground staff beyond here to service Bakerloo line passengers but since 2007 London Underground staff f stations on the line the North London
The original station built in of 1841 was half a mile to the northwest and swerved the London and Birmingham Railway. This was replaced in 1866 by a station sited where the West London Railway and the North and West Junction Railway diverged and to this was added a junction with the Hampstead Junction Railway. This was a low level station soon known as 'Bewildering Junction' and had no direction boards. It was rebuilt in 1894.
Edward VII letterbox, by the bus station.
Barton. Lost Rivers of London
Caine. The Kingston Zodiac
Connor. Forgotten Stations of London
Day. London Underground,
Fulham and Hammersmith History Society. Buildings to see in Fulham and Hammersmith
London Borough of Ealing. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. London North West
Trench and Hillman. London Under London
Walford. Village London
Willesden Junction. Disused Railways. Web site