Colne Brook - Thorney
Post to the north Little Britain
Post to the east West Drayton
Post to the south Thorney
Thorney Lane South
Tower Arms Hotel. The Tower Arms is said be named after former owners members of the Tower family. In the mid 19th it was the 1850 the Hare and Hounds Beer House and later the Fox and Hounds. It was the Tower Arms by 1874.
Thorney Mill Road
North Star. Pub
Thorney Farm – stables in red brick
Gravel extraction site between the Tower Arms Hotel and Thorney Farm. Important finds of iron age pottery
Thorney Park Golf Course. Part of the site was an area of land restoration and the rest a market garden site. The original farm buildings are on the site and have been converted to luxury housing
Thorney Mill. Modern housing on the site of buildings marked as a factory as late as 1989. This is to the north of the road and appears to be the site of a 19th paper mill which was built over the Colne Brook here. A mill leat runs on the east side of the site under the road and returns to the brook. In 1831 the Grand Junction Water Company had a plan for water extraction from here.
Kingfisher Gardens - Community Garden. This is on what is effectively an island between the Colne Brook and a parallel millstream. The original mill was on the north side of the road between the two streams and on the south side was the mill barn. The land passed into local authority ownership and later owned by a family of travellers who built without planning consent and following legal action was compulsorily purchased by South Bucks District. Richings Park Resident’s Association and Ground Work Thames Valley established this community garden with funding from the local authority and local industries.
Thorney Country Park. This is on a site previously used for gravel extraction for construction of the M25
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Buckinghamshire County Council. Web site
Richings Park Residents Association. Web site
The Neighbourhood Page. Web site
Thorney Golf Club. Web site
Tower Hotel. Web site