North London Railway - Kensal Rise
Post to the north Brondesbury Park
Post to the west Kensal Rise
This posting covers only the south east corner of this square
Chamberlayne was a separate manor named after Richard de Camera, prebendary and rector of St.Mary, Willesden, who was given it in 1215. Later leased to the Roberts family. This area built up by developers Charles Langler and Sir Charles Pinkham, of Middlesex County Council. This road was built by All Souls College on the line of an existing footpath.
Church of the Transfiguration. This was an old Methodist chapel to which the Catholics moved in 1977. It is a red-brick building
Methodist Church. The Wesleyan Methodists had met until 1886 in a Kensal Rise house and later opened a tin chapel. In 1900 the opened a brick chapel in Gothic style with tower and spire here. It was sold to the Roman Catholics in 1977 and the Methodists met in the adjacent hall
Kensal Rise Station. This was opened in 1873 and now lies between Brondesbury Park and Willesden Junction on the North London Line. It was first called ‘Harlesden’ and replaced a station a distance to the west. In 1890 the name was changed to ‘Kensal Rise’ and in 1911 was rebuilt. It served the Royal Agricultural Show Ground.
The Chamberlayne. Pub and steakhouse
Minkies Deli – cafe in converted public toilets.
Built as an approach road to the Royal Agricultural Show in 1879 by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners.
The housing was built in 1896 by Langler and Pinkham.
Harvist named after Edward Harvist, a 16th brewer who left money to keep local roads in good repair. The name was changed from Mortimer Road
ARK Franklin Primary Academy. This is what was Kensal Rise Primary School and originally Harvist Road Elementary School. It opened in 1898 as a Board School for boys and girls. It was reorganised in. 1930 and again in 1977 as a junior mixed school plus a nursery. Some problems in the early 21st led to its current privatisation. It is a large three decker London School Board building by G.E.Laurence, with battlemented turrets.
Names for Kempe who was a 19th prebendary of St. Pauls Cathedral. The houses built here by Chares Langler and Charles Pinkham.
A tributary of the Kilburn stream rose here and went down to join other streams feeding into the Kilburn to the south.
Named for Peploe who was a prebendary of St. Pauls
Originally called Ladysmith Road, thus dating it to the Boer War period. After the nasty Crossman trunk murder the name was changed.
Clunn. Face of London
London Borough of Brent. Web site
National Archives. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. North West London
Willesden History society newsletter