Yeading Brook - North Harrow Station
The brook flows south west
Post to the north Pinner Park
Built on the field called Hooken Green. Houses built by Cutler in 1914 have four tiles grouped as a diamond as his logo.
The site on the corner of Imperial Drive has a large site which appears to be some sort of electrical sub station, but with elaborate street side buildings, large sheds inside the site and a pylon. It appears to date from the late 1930s- mid 1940s, and the cable run which includes the pylon dates from
considerably before this.
The original name for the area now known as North Harrow. The area however covered by this green appears to have been only fields – in this case called Lower Hungerlands
80 St John Fisher. Built in a Romanesque style. In 1935, as the population grew it was decided to form a new Roman Catholic parish in North Harrow. From 1937, masses were celebrated in the ballroom of the Headstone Hotel. The new church in Imperial Drive, not quite completed, was opened in 1939, just before the outbreak of war. In 1964, at their Silver Jubilee, the priest announced that the church building was to be completed and a parish centre built. St. John is now the second largest Catholic parish in the area
Tower built in brick with a clock at the end of a parade of shops
North Harrow Car Park. In area between Cambridge and Pinner Roads
North Harrow Home Guard Club. Has a hall used by local community groups. In area between Cambridge and Pinner Roads
Three Wishes, Pub
Embassy Cinema. This was on the northwest side of Pinner Road at the corner of Station Road. It was opened in 1928, built for the Pinner Cinema Co. Ltd by Emden & Egan and architect T.C. Overstone. It was taken over by Associated British Cinemas (ABC) in 1936. It closed in 1963 and demolished, a bowling alley and Safeway supermarket were built there and was it replaced by a new supermarket and flats in 2008.
Hooking Green Bridge. The crossing over the Yeading Brook and related to a field called Hooken Green Close, and not to any village area. The field was in the area between Pinner Road, Durham and Canterbury Roads.
North Harrow Assembly Halls. This was a sort of hut like building, it is now Shia Ithna'ashari Community of Middlesex which is a Muslim youth community origination
Headstone Hotel, a popular social centre opposite North Harrow Station recently been replaced by an office block
North Harrow Station. Opened in 1915 it is on the London to Birmingham Line but this, as Children Railway and the fast Metropolitan Line do not stop here and use reserved tracks. The Metropolitan railway opened here originally in 1885 with the opening of their extension to Pinner. The station opened in 1914 and was rebuilt in 1930 to the designs of Charles Clark as part of the Metropolitan Railway's modernisation programme. The station is prone to flooding due to the nearness of the Yeading Brook. It is also said to be haunted. The top of an old railway bridge exists near the railway track
St Alban's Church. As population grew in the area in 1930 a new parish was formed and in in 1937a of St. Alban was opened. It was designed by A. W. Kenyon, and built with a reinforced concrete frame, yellow brick walls, and a north-east tower. There is a statue of St. Alban by J. C. Blair. It was damaged in the Second World War
Woodlands Open Space
Woodlands Open Space is located in North Harrow with entrances from North Harrow Car Park and Cambridge Road. The park provides nearly 3 hectares of informal recreation space. This includes an open grass area and a conservation area of woodland and scrub.
Yeading Brook Open Space
Parkland along the length of the brook in this area
CAMRA. Real Beer in London,
Cinema Treasures. Web site
Field. London Place Names,
Pevsner and Cherry. London North West
Pinner Local History Society. Web site