River Brent - Alperton
The Brent flows south westwards
A suburban and industrial area it lies on the Piccadilly Underground Line. The square is crossed by the river Brent and the Grand Union Canal as well as the North Circular Road. The main A40 is a short distance to the south. Despite the ancient church and the so-called Abbey, the area was mainly developed with housing and industry in the 1930s. There are many industrial sites and trading estates and some important companies have originated here - for instance glass works, metal works, abrasives and so on.
Post to the north Wembley
Post to the east Park Royal
Post to the south Hangar Lane
Factories and trading units at the east end from the 1930s
Anglo Abrasive Works. On site in the 1930s as manufacturers of grinding wheels. "Angloite" Grinding Wheels and Segments
Factories and trading units
Kego Electric. Electric light fittings 1950s
Amplivox Hearing aids. 1950s
St.Mary. the church probably stands on the site of the medieval parish chapel, adjacent to the manor house and first recorded in 1181. It was one of the smallest churches in Middlesex, seating only 40 people. The Moyle family appear to have remodelled it in the 17th and there is a tablet, to Walter Moyle and his sons outside the church. In 1807-9 the house and chapel were remodelled and Gothicised by William Atkinson for Thomas Willan. Atkinson may have used his Roman cement in dressings on the church to give the appearance of stone. In 1902 the house was bought by the Alexian Brotherhood as a nursing home and the chapel was again restored. They tried to use it as a private chapel but there were local objections and it was taken over by the bishop. The Brothers’ burial ground lies to the south of the church. In 1958 N.F.Cachemaille-Day enlarged it using the original church as the Lady Chapel. The front elevation is now dominated by a tall tower with vertical, glazed panels above the entrance with a cast concrete figure of the Virgin and Child by Kathleen Parbury. The chapel contains some wall monuments to the Moyle family and to Thomas Willan. In 1994 it was closed as being structurally unsound but following works the interior is now used as a community centre. It is now part of the Parish of the Ascension linked with a church in Hangar Hill.
Filipino International Seventh-day Adventist Church. This is in what was the church hall.
Wooler Engineering Co. Wooler motorcycles were produced 1911 - 1926 and 1945 - 1956 here. In 1909 John Wooler designed his first motorcycle. The bike was made by Wilkinson and there was a break during the Great War and restarted. In 1925 production moved from Alperton to Twickenham
Glacier House. Glacier Metal Co. The company was founded in 1899. The Glacier Anti-Friction Metal Company was formed in 1899 by two Americans, with premises in St. John's Wood. During the Great War, they made diesel parts for hand-grenades and later plain bearings. In 1922 they moved to Alperton to a half-timbered building owned by Wooler. Wilfred Brown joined in 1931, becoming Chairman, and after the Second World War presided over the Glacier Project, with the Tavistock Institute and Professor Elliott Jaques. He later joined the first Wilson Labour government. During the Second World War satellite factory were established in Ayr, and Kilmarnock. By 1961 they made bearings of all types for petrol and diesel engines, turbines, compressors, fans, machine tools and pumps and much else. They also began to acquire factories around the world. In 1968 Glacier acquired the premises of the Crosby Valve & Engineering Works on the east side of the road, In 1964 Glacier became part of the Associated Engineering group. They later moved to Kilmarnock and are currently under threat of closure.
L. P. S. Electrical Co, founded in 1913 electric wire and cord manufacturers
Key Glass works. Key Glass had been founded in New Cross and opened a second factory in Alperton in 1926. Here they had three furnaces and thirteen machines. The two factories produced some 45,000 gross of bottles. They later moved to Harlow where they remain having merged with other firms.
Crosby Works. Crosby Valve & Engineering Co. Ltd. Industrial valves
Lancia motor works. Italian car manufacturer Lancia had a depot here. The parent company in Turin owned the works at Alperton
Rexoleum Works. Harvey Brown Co. bitumen based floor coverings.
Wiseman Spectacle works
Alperton Bottling Company Limited, a subsidiary company to Taylor Walker Brewers. This was a mechanised plant for handling ‘sparkling’ beers and also bottled Guinness delivered by tanker from their nearby brewery.
The Plough pub. Was recently an Irish pub called Tommy Ryans but is also reported to be Polish. The pub was here and licensed from at least the early 18th
Pleasure Boat pub. This is alongside the canal and at one time was a stop for boat services and also catered for anglers.
Alperton Station. Opened in 1903 it lies between Park Royal and Sudbury Town on the Piccadilly Line. In 1903 The Metropolitan District Railway Electric opened a service from Ealing to Park Royal on which this station, opened as Perivale – Alperton, was sited. The original station building was of corrugated iron in the road below the platforms on which there were wooden canopies. In 1910 the name was changed to ‘Alperton’ and in 1932 the Piccadilly Line was extended here and eventually took the line over from the District. At the same time the station was re-designed by Charles Holden with low wings with shops and a tall ticket hall rising above offices and shops. It is said that an escalator from Festival of Britain site was installed in the station and that it is still there but walled up.
Grand Union Canal
Footbridge. Flats called The Rise by Mount Anvil on the north bank at Sunleigh Road are connected to a new footbridge going towards Alperton Station.
Sculpture - Steles - by Keith Wilson for Mount Anvil. It comprises five bars of colour chosen for their similarity to colours used in marine industries and picks up on the canal's reflected light.
Piccadilly Line Bridge