River Brent - Perivale
The Brent continues to flow west in a convoluted route
This was originally Greenford Road.
Pitshanger Park. This was part of the estate of Pitshanger Manor Farm. Ealing Town Council acquired land for a public park in 1905. In 1914 this was laid out with a bowling green, tennis courts, cricket pitches, and a path lined with horse chestnut, buying extra land to extend it to Argyle road. There is a group of mature oaks near Scotch Common. There is scrub oak and thorn along the River Brent and the golf course is planted with birch, flowering cherry and willow. In 1976 the par became part of the Brent River Park project.
Perivale Park Athletics Ground. A sports area attracted to Pitshanger Park. It is the home of Ealing, Southall and Middlesex Athletics Club and the West London Hammer School.
London School of Tennis. Set up in 1994
Pitshanger Manor Farm. The old manor house, called Pitshanger Farmhouse, was in the modern Meadvale Road. It was a plain house of brick and tile, demolished in 1908.
This means ‘Pear tree valley’ – the old name was ‘Greenford Parva’.
Ealing Golf Club. The Club was launched in 1898 as a commercial venture, Castle Bar Golf Club. It was on a site part of which had been a rifle range. In 1901 it became a members' club and was renamed Ealing Golf Club. In 1926 the course was changed because of the construction of Western Avenue. In 1933 the clubhouse was resited and reopened in order for it to have a better relationship to the course and to the river. During the Second World War, some holes were lost to wartime use and hole three became the site of an anti-aircraft gun. The concrete support for which remains under the grass. Adjacent to the 13th green, the remains of the stable for the Green Keeper's horse was stabled can still be seen. After the war the club was helped to financial stability by H. B. Randolph Chair of Wilkinson Sword, and a ceremonial sword is displayed in the Randolph Room.
St.Mary's Church. This is now an arts centre. It is the smallest church in Middlesex. It dates back to about 1135 with a 16th west tower. It was restored in 1875. It is built of rag stone-rubble with some flints and cement rendered. The tower is weather boarded with a tiled pyramid roof and a sundial from 1818. Inside is a brass to a Myllet of 1500 and wall memorials from 1623. There is a font of 1490
Churchyard. This contains tombs of Londoners who asked to be buried there although they had no connection with the parish. There are some listed tombs. The lytch gate is 1904 with an inscription in the roof truss
Rectory this was 15th but it was pulled down in 1958.
St Benedicts's School Playing Fields. This private school is some way to the south of here in Eaton Rise. The fields are also used by their old boys – Old Priorians.
North Ealing Primary School. Built 1911 for the people who lived in Brentham. Extended 1935. The architect for this and four others schools was the borough surveyor and engineer Charles Jones
163-154 Library. Small library in a local shop
Kent Lodge care home.
Shopping parade – Edwardian shops with fancy terracotta plaques and scrollwork
The Duke of Kent. Large local pub claiming to be ‘Georgian’. It is named for the Duke of Kent who was George III’s son and father of Queen Victoria who lived locally.
3 Lloyds Bank. This was built in the 1920s and predates the Hoover Building. It is part of a parade of shops. The façade to the upper floors has large white tiles with green tiled banding around the windows. There are green tiled palm trees above
The water main runs under the gardens between the road and the A40
Tesco - Hoover Building. The building housed Hoover's UK manufacturing facility making vacuum cleaners. The original building sates from 1932 and was the office block. The factory block was operational by 1933. In 1935 Wallis, Gilbert and Partners designed a new factory behind the original building and in 1938 a separate canteen and recreation centre) was built west of the offices. During the Second World War the Factory made electrical equipment for aircraft and tanks and the buildings camouflaged to avoid bombing. After the war another building was added, Hoover continued manufacturing upright cleaners here until the early 1980s when production moved to Cambuslang, and eventually Hoover left the site. In 1989 Tesco bought the site and built a Supermarket at the rear of the site, The Railings and gateways have stylised vacuum cleaner shapes.
Water Main - this runs along under the grassed frontage to the building.
Canteen building – 1938 by Wallis Gilbert and Partner
Myllett Arms. Vast pub opened in the 1930s on the site of Church Farm. It now incorporates a Premier Inn
British listed buildings. Web site
Clunn. The Face of London
Ealing Golf Club. Web site
Field. London Place Names
Forsyth, Buildings for the Age
London Gardens On Line. Web site
Middlesex County Council History of Middlesex
Middlesex x Churches,
Nairn .Nairn’s London
Pevsner and Cherry. London North West.
St. Mary, Perivale. Web site
Walford. Village London,