Thames Tributary Beverley- Worcester Park
The Beverley flows northwards towards the Thames
Post to the west Old Malden
Post to the north Motspur Park
Post to the east Morden Common
Post to the south Cheam Common
181 The Huntsman. Built between 1856 and 1861 and the original name was the Railway Tavern
The Beverley flows down the western side of Green Lane and the area suffers considerably from flooding.
Telephone Exchange Bank Chambers – a minimal brick box
Worcester Park Sewage Works. Lo
cal authority sewage works dating from the 1950s. –the main flow used to feed into the Beverley. Works closed in 1996
Sutton Local Authority Computer Centre also demolished for the posh housing
Green Lane Primary School
Wooden boarded house.
260 John Major’s childhood home
Rosa Smith Playground – named after the benefactor who bequeathed the land to the people of Worcester Park a century ago.
Green to the north of Worcester Park Station also called Lower Green. In 1844 William Baker, Cheam tea dealer, was found guilty of enclosing some of it - but very little is left now anyway although it is protected by an Act of Parliament of 1908 Some of it has became a sports ground managed by London Borough of Sutton.
Malden Green farmhouse Brick and stucco, 17th but altered Grade II listed and juts onto the Green. This was known as Lower Green Farm
Weatherboarded barn, stables and a horse training arena, plus factory units, sheds and concrete hardstanding
Worcester Park Station. Between Stoneleigh and Motspur Park on South Western Rail. Built 1859 on common land, which it split in two. It was opened on the Wimbledon and Dorking Railway from Wimbledon to Epsom and was originally called ‘Old Malden’ - In 1862 it was changed to ‘Worcester Park’. There was a small stock brick house for the staff with barge boards. Initially there was no footbridge and passengers had to cross over the lines, but in 1903 a lattice steel girder bridge was supplied from Wimbledon Signal Works. The station was almost totally rebuilt in the 1930s. With New up side building in red brick and concrete, new offices and a new entrance on the down side.
Goods yard by the up platform. This was swamped by building materials in the 1930s and urgently enlarged. Closed 1963 but had to reopen again because of the bad winter.
Hollybrook estate. Barratt development on the land of Malden Green farm.
The Worcester Park. Big triangular 1930s roadhouse style pub
The Doris Venner Youth and Community Centre
Line to Chessington built off the Southern Railway line to Epsom in 1936.
Housing on the site of the sewage works
Worcester Park Baptist Church
Housing on the site of the sewage works and computer centre.
Canterbury Hall flats built in 2004 by 'St James Homes'
Vermont Hall is another one in unbelievable pretentious ‘New England’ style.
The area is named as this on the Ordnance Survey map of 1819. Worcester House was the home of the Earl of Worcester who in 1606 was appointed Keeper of Henry VIII's Nonsuch Park.