The London/Surrey boundary carries on up the middle of the river. North of the river is Hampton
This post covers only sites south of the River
Post to the east Hampton and Hurst Park
Post to the south West Molesey
Post to the west Kempton Park
South of the River - Surrey, Elmbridge
Wharf was a busy cargo wharf, pick up place for ferries, Hurst Park was next to it.
Lambeth Waterworks intake in 1872 and Chelsea Waterworks Intake in 1875. Both had pumping stations and concrete wharves on the bank. Chelsea abandoned in 1924, engine house foundations there, very overgrown. Lambeth also abandoned then and foundations and front steps of Engine House still there.
West Molesey wharf, until early this .century it was very active with cargoes generally carried in sailing barges) of coal, timber, building materials. The-wharf was also used as a pick up point for Platt’s Eyot the works ferryman for- staff who lived on that side of the river.
Islands on the Thames are invariably referred to by the ancient name of 'ayot' pronounced "eight" prefixed with the name of a previous and well known owner. In this particular case it was a resident of Molesey by the name of Platt who used the Eyot for the growing of withies.
Bridge to it from the shore, rabbits got over it and caused trouble. 'Gateway' to London. It rises 'significantly' out of the water.
Osiers. used for the making of eel bucks, fish traps, and numerous other items. varieties used were Salix viminalis and Salix purpurea. last used for osiers in 1884 by E.Clark of Sunbury Ferry and Tom Tagg of Molesey.
Spoil from reservoirs Excavation of the filter beds began in 1900 and spoil was disposed dumped on Platt's Eyot. The result being was barren tumulus in 1901. because of the weight the water-company installed camp shedding at strategic points.
Pipes. In 1888 a channel was driven through the island, which took water from the river on the Middlesex side leaving a and wet dock which became part of the boatyard. Water from this channel percolated down to earthenware pipes laid with open joint. Water flowed through a tunnel under the river to the engine house. The remains of two large cast iron valves are still on the south side of the island. There is also the remains of a brick shaft with iron rungs down to another valve.
Tom Tagg boatyard. A Dutchman by the name of Taag came to Hampton Court in the18th Tom Tagg started boat building on Platt's c.1860. He built house boats, one of which was Satsuma a double storey craft for Hewett of Hampton. Tagg's business was called "The Island Works” and in 1864 his house and offices had a water tower. Southwark and Vauxhall Water Company agreed that Taggs would keep a quarter of the island, the company bought the rest
Immisch built electric launches and a charging station. Inmisch undertook Thornycroft contracts using the old Tagg boatbuilding sheds and workshops. Moritz Immisch was interned at the outbreak of war in 1914.
Thornycroft's need larger premises than their works at Chiswick. they movedthe building of small craft here and the yard became Hampton Launch Works Ltd.in the First World War was fantastic they built C.M.B's (Coastal Motor Boats); powered by a Thornycroft V12 engine and carried a single torpedo fired from the stern. In peace time they built luxury yachts craft for foreign navies, passenger boats tugs. In the 1960s taken over by Vospers and The Hampton yard was taken over by of Port Hampton Ltd.,
Slip 1 1916 by A.A.H.Scott for Thorneycroft for building fast torpedo carrying launches for the Admiralty. Slipway timber framed with zinc sheeting. Industrial glass in fixed casement.
Slip 2 . With Belfast Truss roof.
3. as 1 & 2
4. As 1 & 2 Curved slipway and thus curved unusual roof.
Offices. 1864 but really 1890 brief might have been built by Tagg or they might be Thorneycroft's rebuilt sheds from Chiswick.
Shed over the wet dock 1913.
Material for this work has been collected over many years and from many source. Clearly The Buildings of England has been useful for some of the posher housing and material from members of GLIAS for both the water works and Platts Eyot