Riverside south of the river and west of the Tower. Canbury Gardens

Riverside south of the river and west of the Tower. Canbury Gardens

This post shows sites south of the river only. North of the river is Teddington Normansfield and Trowlock

Post to the north Ham and Hawker and Teddington Broom Hall
Post to the south Kingston and Hampton Wick

Albany Mews
Albany Park Canoeing and Sailing Centre. Part of Albany Outdoors, Kingston Council
Canbury Gardens
Canbury Gardens. This riverside area had been marshland and osier beds. From 1863. It was known as Corporation Eyot and was a rubbish dump. In 1884, Samuel Gray a local maltster and lighterman who had founded the Canbury Ratepayers' Association in the early 1880s suggested there should be a garden here. Plans were drawn up by Henry Macaulay, the Borough Surveyor, and work began in 1889 on topsoil brought in from the nearby reservoir excavations. The gardens were raised above the tow path and plane trees were planted along it and The Park was opened in 1890. A bandstand was erected in 1891 but later removed for Second World War munitions. There was also an octagonal shelter, benches and lamp column and from the early 1900s sports facilities were added. Surrounding industry has now been largely demolished and anew bandstand has now been erected.
Barge Walk. This is the riverside walk through Canbury Gardens.
Kingston Rowing Club was founded in 1858 by Mr George Bennett at Messenger’s Boathouse, Kingston, from 1861 it was in a building on Raven’s Ait.In 1935 the club moved downstream to the Albany Boathouse in Lower Ham Road. In 1968 the club moved to a custom built premises in Canbury Gardens. Only one year after its founding the club competed at Henley Royal Regatta. In 1897 they were instrumental in the creation of the Amateur Rowing Association. Women were not admitted as members until 1976 but by 1994 the club had its first women captain - who represented Britain at the Barcelona Olympics and who has been followed by others.
Plaque erected by the Thames Landscape Strategy with Working in partnership with the Kingston Aviation Centenary Project to show the history of Aviation in Kingston, including a map of the old factories. The plaque was unveiled by Sir Tommy Sopwith
Boaters Inn. Riverside pub in Canbury Gardens.
Barge Walk Cottage. This appears on maps before 1900
The Pavilion, This is a community resource and centre. The old Council bowling pavilion, dating from the late 19th was going to be demolished. A group of local residents now run it as a community hub.

Lower Ham Road
Boathouse for Leander Sea Scout Troop. The “Leander” Group grew out of the 2nd Kingston Scout Troop which originated from around 1908. The first scoutmaster Erik Robinson was the son of a marine engineer. By 1912, the Troop had begun Sea Scouting activities; their first boat was presented to them by the great-grandson of Captain Francis Grove, who had commanded H.M.S. LEANDER in the early 20th. In 1913 they were based in central Kingston near the Hogs Mill River but from 1921 rented a building in Lower Ham Road. The group now has a fleet of boats and new headquarters.
Albany Boathouse. Gabled boathouse with the Royal Crest built in 1893. It was owned by the Turk family who constructed light river craft. Later they hired out pleasure boats but went out of business in the 1970s. The building was restored recently and is now home to local businessesThe Skiff Club was initially based at the Albany Club in Kingston and in 1897 took over Turk's Albany Boathouse which had been vacated by the Royal Canoe Club that year. In 1914 the Schneider Trophy winning Sopwith float plane was tested on the slipway here. In 1935 Kingston Rowing Club moved here but later went to their present site in Canbury Gardens. It is now the headquarters of an office interiors firm.

Richmond Road
This was once called Canbury Lane

The Albany
The Bank Estate was known as Point Pleasant, Mount Pleasant, Bank Farm and Bank Grove. Created in 1797 by John Nash for Henry St. John. The grounds were landscaped by Humphrey Repton. This was the first completed collaboration between Repton and Nash. The scheme aimed to take advantage of the views both up and down the river. It was later the home of a succession of local gentry. The gardens were said to be magnificent throughout this period. By 1890 it the house was the Albany club, and was later burnt down. The site is now occupied by three blocks of flats. The raised situation still commands the river bend and the two fine Lebanon Cedars which survive may date back to Repton
The three Albany blocks stand out along the river, built on the site of Point Pleasant

Albany Park Canoeing and Sailing Centre. Web site
Boaters Inn. Web site
Kingston Rowing Club. Web site
London Borough of Kingston. Web site
London Gardens Online. Web site
Sampson. All Change
Thames Landscape Strategy. Web site


Popular posts from this blog

South Norwood

Bromley by Bow

River Lea/Bow Creek Canning Town