Sunday, 21 November 2021

Hatton Cross

 Post to the east Hatton

Post to the south Hatton Road

Chaucer Avenue
Internal Airport Road

Cranford Lane
Internal Airport Road

Dick Turpin's Way
The area was apparently notorious for highway robbery
Hatton Farm. Open storage land, etc derelict site

Dockwell Lane
This lane was replaced by the South West Road
Hatton House, This was thought to date from the 18th. In the 1940s it became Dick Turpin’s Kitchen, a roadhouse. It was demolished in 1978

Eagle Road
Internal Airport Road

Eastchurch Road
Internal Airport Road

Eastern Perimeter Road

Electra Avenue
Internal Airport Road

Elmdon Road
Internal Airport Road

Ensign Close
Internal Airport Road

Envoy Avenue
Internal Airport Road

Exeter Road
Internal Airport Road

Faggs  Road
Mission Room. 1930s, Baptist Chapel/Anglican Mission Room converted for office use in 2000
Radius Park  Trading Estate, Airport Industrial Properties. On the site of St. Anthony’s Home
St.Anthony’s Home. This was Temple Hatton, owned by  Sir Frederick Pollock. It appears originally to have been a farmhouse and/or a chapel. In 1899 it was sold to a Roman Catholic order and became an orphanage called St. Anthony's Home. In 1958 it was sold and the site is now Radius Park.
Lodge to St. Anthony’s Home
Green Man pub. Parts of the building date back to c.1639, but much altered. It was once thatched and had stables, now part of a bar. Hidey hole behind the chimney.

Great South West Road
Replaced Dockwell Lane. This is now the A30 and it ends at Land’s End. The section around Heathrow had been planned as the western end of the Great West Road an early bypass for motor traffic. Work began in 1914 but was halted because of Great War.  It resumed in 1919.
Cut and cover trench provided alongside the road for the tube extension to Heathrow.

Hatton Road (northern section)
Until the airport was built this road came from the north – Sipson- to the South West Road at Hatton Cross.  A stump of it remains from the South West Road to a roundabout.  The road continues south of the  roundabouit
Dog and Partridge. Demolished 1949 for the airport. The licence was transferred to a pub in Staines
Hatton Gore and kennels. Built 1840s it incorporated York stone from the Bank of England. Home of plant collector Frank Kingdon-Ward 1920s who built a rockery on the model of a river ravine in the Himalayas. Demolished 1940s for the airport. The site is part of the truck depot west Enfield Road Roundabout.
The Cedars: house, with a big pond in the front of it. Built around 1840. Demolished 1940s for the airport. Now the site of car parks in line with the north runway.
Hatton Road Farm
The Common Farm,
The Magpies pub became Cyclist's Rest cafe

Hatton Road
South west section south of the South West Road
Atrium Hotel. Aggressive blue outside.  Opened 2018. Described as ‘weird’.
Steam Farm, the first in the area to have a steam-powered plough. Real name was Rayner’s Farm

Lock Lane
Demolished for the airport

Southern Perimeter Road
Hatton Cross Station. Opened 19th July 1975.  It lies between Hounslow West and Heathrow Terminals 1 2 3 and Heathrow Terminal 4 on the Piccadilly Line. It first became an intermediate terminus on the Piccadilly Line and the first trains to Heathrow terminated here. It was built to tube line standards rather than those of the District Line. The platforms are in a tunnel but constructed as cut and cover and the tiling on central columns features patterns made up from the British Airways Speed bird logo. The station building is in brutalist concrete and includes a bus station. In 1986 Terminal 4 opened with a new line which acts as a loop to the other Terminals.  In the 1970s there were island platforms and a ticket hall at surface level plus below surface platforms.

St.Anthony’s Way.
Internal road on Radius Estate

St.Theresa Road
Internal road on Radius Estate

Vanguard Way
Internal airport road
Boadicea House. BOAC data centre
British Airways Flight Training Centre
British Airways Global Learning Academy

Viscount Way
Internal airport road
 
 
Sources
Day. London Underground
Green Man pub website
Hatton History web site
Wikipedia

No comments: