Riverside west of the Tower, north of the river Twickenham Park
Post to the south Marble Hill
Post to the west St,Margarets
Post to the east Richmond Hill
Arlington Works – this includes Twickenham Sound Studio and some light industrial units
This is a small group of houses between Park House Gardens and the Railway. It is named for early 20th owners of The Elms
The Elms. Early 19th house hidden away with an apparent address in Ducks Walk – but very unclear how it is reached from there. Used as a boarding house in the early 20th it is now divided into flats.
Part of Twickenham Park, this area was tennis courts in the early 20th with housing built in the 1930s.
Named from the Cambridge family and marked as this on the 1876 Ordnance map. It is an estate development of Italianate villas on the site of Cambridge House and its grounds.
Cambridge House. This stood near the old ferry. It was built in 1616 by Sir Humphrey Lynd. By 1751 the house was called Twickenham Meadows and was purchased by Richard Cambridge who moved here following a large inheritance and the area became known as Cambridge Park. His son, George, later moved to the smaller house, Meadowbank. In 1824 it became the home of Lord Mount-Edgcumbe. In the early 20th it became the Middlesex County Club and was then sold as the Cambridge House Residential Hotel in 1915. It was eventually demolished in 1937.
Cambridge Gardens. The site was part of the large riverside estate around Cambridge House. In the 17th the grounds shad been enlarged by Sir Joseph Ashe before it passed to the Cambridge family. The estate was divided in 1835 and part sold to Henry Bevan who commissioned Lewis Vulliamy to add a large conservatory, beautify the grounds and add a kitchen garden. In 1897 it was sold to a builder Henry Cresswell Foulkes, who had plans to build over the remaining parkland. In 1907 building began on Clevedon Road, separating the house from the riverside. By 1908 160 houses, 7 blocks of flats and 54 shops with living accommodation had been erected but Foulkes became bankrupt.
This is a recreation ground, local park and playground, overlooking Richmond Bridge. The far end of the Gardens meets the site of the former Richmond Ice Rink. There is a cafe and play facilities. Local groups promote biodiversity to support birds, butterflies and bees, and it is part of the riverain bats' super-highway. There are tennis courts with coaching facilities and a field for ball games, fitness devotees, and local dog-walkers.
Twickenham Garage. This was a London Transport bus garage in operation until 1971. It is said to have been built on the site of a skating rink. In the Great War it was requisitioned by the Royal Flying Corps and reopened in 1919. During the early 1920s it was used as a workshop for repairing and building bus bodies. The blind for garage journeys always referred to this location as Richmond Bridge. On closure, all its routes and vehicles were transferred to Fulwell bus garage, but the building continued to be owned by London Transport until the mid-1990s and used for the storage of privately owned old LT buses for the Routemaster Heritage Trust. It was later demolished for housing.
The Sports-Drome. This area was separated from Cambridge Gardens and a skating rink was built there before the Great War.
Pelabon Works. The disused rink was bought in 1914 by French Charles Pelabon as a munitions factory. He built four or five more workshops here including the building which later became Richmond Ice Rink. From 1914–15 about 6,000 Belgian refugees, some injured soldiers came here and many worked at the factory. As a Belgian owned works munitions were produced for the Belgian Army, not the British. After the Great War Pelabon used the site for general engineering until 1924.
Richmond Ice Rink. Charles Langdon bought the site and converted the factory into an ice rink which opened in 1928. When it opened the ice surface was the longest in any indoor rink in the world. It included an indoor golf range, outside bowling green, tennis courts, pitch and putt and a children's playground with tea gardens onto the river. It was used by several ice hockey teams. It was purchased in the 1980s by the London and Edinburgh Trust for housing development ‘executive’ houses - now Richmond Bridge Estates.
Ribbentrop. The wartime Nazi Germany Foreign Minister, Joachim von Ribbentrop, was German Ambassador to Britain in 1936. He bought a house next door to the ice rink as his hobby was ice dancing. He was eventually executed for war crimes.
Warren Gardens. These are landscaped lawns running in front of the old Ice Rink. A memorial is planned here to the Belgian refugees who lived in the area in the Great War.
Richmond Bridge Works. In the 1940s Merron Ltd. was here. Merron made items from laminated or moulded wood. The Merron dinghy was designed here by Arthur Robb and built by the firm. It was the first design to use this autoclave hot moulding technique for a strong, lightweight and stable little boat. In the 1960s the works was used by Reliance Name Plates. They made decorative trim, dial and nameplates. Later Metal Trim Ltd. were at this works making large sheet metal items. They later moved to Daventry. The site is now – flats.
Richmond Slipways. This was a small boatyard which built and repaired police boats. It was managed by Charles Lightoller who was second officer on Titanic when it sank
Plaque to Charles Lightoller on an adjacent building.
Madingley Club. This appears to have been in Madingley House and was a jazz and rock venue in the 1960s. It was burnt down in the 1970s and Madingley Court flats are on site.
Boundary stone made of concrete marks the junction of the parishes stands near Richmond Bridge.
This road was not developed with the surrounding roads in the 1860s but was left until the 1930s. It is on the line of the drive to Twickenham Park House
Park House Gardens
In the 1820s, a substantial house was built site about halfway down what is now this road. It became known as Twickenham Park House. It was sold again in the late 1890s and for a short while was a school. The site was then acquired by Thames Sand and Gravel who demolished in 1929 having excavated the surrounding land for gravel.
64 Moderne style house
River Garden. This is part of the St.Margaret's estate on the square to the west. It is one of three private pleasure gardens belonging to the estate. This one is River Garden and consists of riverside trees and grass.
Richmond Lock north side. Foot bridge incorporating lock and sluices. Built in 1891, and designed by engineer F.G.M. Stoney. The lock houses were designed by the surveyors Hunt and Steward and ironwork by the firm of Ransome and Rapier of Ipswich. At the bank the bridge is elevated on a brick base serving as a lock keepers cottage with stone dressings and double flight of steps.
Turret-like building. This is immediately beyond Twickenham Bridge alongside the road. Gives access to the underground water main which was constructed under the river around the turn of the 20th for the Hampton - Barn Elms 42" diameter main.
Gate posts of Twickenham Park are restored as a feature with seating halfway down the street
The road marks the southern boundary of the medieval Twickenham Park. It was at first an ancient track from Church Street to the ferry to Richmond. It ran across what was then the Great East Field and ran along the boundary of Twickenham Park. By the 18th the approach to the Ferry was known as “Ferry Lane”. Richmond Bridge was built in 1777 it became known as Richmond Road.
429 Training Centre. This was built in 1912 as The Grand Picture Theatre. Within a year it was renamed the Gaiety Electric Playhouse and, in 1916, the Albert Cinema. It was known locally as the Gaiety Cinema until it closed in 1931. It then became a Temperance Billiards Saloon. It is near the site of Spring Lodge which was a villa from 1830 demolished in 1913
393 Old Ryde house. Stucco villa built in 1838 with an eagle over the door. This was restored in the 1980s by the Thomas Saunders partnership as part of the adjacent development. Then in use by a building society it has had subsequent use as offices. Before restoration it was part of a garage with a forecourt in front of the house.
397 Ryde House. This was a housing, shopping, and office development by Thomas Saunders Partnership from 1979. It has been empty since 2006 and is being considered for a ‘free’ school.
St.Stephen. In the 18th on this site was a brick yard. As Twickenham grew in the 19th it was felt that a church was needed and The Little family donated a he triangle of land – the shape of the land explains why the church faces north rather than east as is usual practice. Local fund raising provided money for building and Lockwood and Mawson were commissioned to desing it and did so for a church in Kentish Rag. A new parish was divided off from Twickenham, and 1875 the nave was ready for consecration. The tower was added in 1907. Stones from the Montpelier chapel were brought used to make a bench outside the new 2011 spring extension to the church.
304 Crossway Pregnancy Crisis Centre. This ¬was set up in 1999, to support those facing the trauma of an unplanned pregnancy or pregnancy loss. It is in a building for community and church use opened in 1999
2a Modern style house by Quad Architects
This is the first road which was built during the 1860s development and was initially called Twickenham Park. It ran between two gate lodges in an arc from and to St, Margaret’s road. It was renamed Rosslyn Road in the mid 1860s.
1a Victoria Lodge. This is a 19th lodge to Twickenham Park House designed as a Doric temple.
13 East Twickenham Neighbourhood and Community Centre. The centre dates from the mid-1980s and offers the usual facilities
15 Rosslyn Clinic of the British Pregnancy Advice Service. Abortion Clinic. Previously this was known as the Richmond Private Clinic and Nursing Home;
15a Twickenham Park surgery. This is in The Cottage which was presumably some sort of amenity building to no. 15
40 Sandycombe Lodge. Built by J.W.M.Turner, RA, for himself he was his own architect, contractor, surveyor, foreman and clerk of the works, said to have been inspired by his friend, John Soane. Turner's bought the land here in 1843 then built the house and moved in two years later. It was also a home for his father William and originally called as Solus Lodge, Turner lived here from 1814 to 1826. It is a symmetrical house, with central gable and lower wings with rounded corners. A plaque was placed on the building in 1977. It was used as a factory producing airmen's uniforms during the Second World War and vibrations from the machinery damaged the staircase and ceilings. In 1947 the house was bought by Harold Livermore who created the Sandycombe Lodge Trust which is now the Turner's House Trust. Livermore’s bequeathed the house to the trust to be preserved as a monument to Turner. It is hoped to open it to visitors.
St Margaret's road
Marks the southern boundary of the medieval Twickenham Park
St Stephens Passage
This is an old right of way marking property boundaries
This begins as the A316 the approach road to Twickenham Bridge, but then diverges away to the riverside.
The area between the river, St Margaret’s and Richmond Road lie in an area which was part of a much bigger Twickenham Park stretching to the north outside this square
Twickenham Park House stood roughly at the junction with Arlington Close. The first major house on the site was built in 1601. The boundary line between Twickenham and Isleworth parishes ran through the middle of the house. It was demolished in the early 19th, sold, and a new house built on the site
Twickenham Park Mews
These are workshops in the what were the stables of the Twickenham Park House alongside the railway
1 Willoughby House. This is an old house with a tall campanile. It was refurbished as offices by Manning Clamp & Partners in 1981. It was also once known as Bertie House and also as Caen Lodge.
3 Halibut House. Howlett boatyard
The Watermark. Modernist house with curved roofs by Edward Cullinan Architects
Behind Blue Plaques,
Blue Plaque Guide.
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Cinema Treasures. Web site
Crossway. Web site
Field; London Place Names
Friends of Cambridge Gardens. Web site
Greater London Council. Thames Guidelines,
Middlesex County Council. History of Middlesex
Pevsner and Cherry. South London,
Port of London Magazine
St.Stephen. Web site
Twickenham Museum. Web site
Twickenham Park Residents’ Association. Web site
Wheatley and Meulenkamp. Follies
Wikipedia, as relevant