Riverside north of the river and west of the Tower. Teddington
This post shows sites north of the river only. south of the river is Ham Lands and Teddington Lock
Post to the east Teddington Broom Hall and Ham and Hawker
Post to the north Ham Lands and Twickenham Crossdeep
Teddington Studios. This was a British TV studio. The site is owned by the Haymarket Group and was run by the Pinewood Studios Group – whose lease expired in 2014. The site is to become a housing estate. It was first opened in 1910 following use of a green house at Weir House – and expanded to become Teddington Film Studios Limited in 1931. It was taken over by Warner Brothers to make ‘quota quickies’. M 1944 it was damaged by a V2. In 1958 it was bought by ABC as a television studio and became the main production centre for Thames Television. In 1993 when Thames lost its franchise it became independent and in 2005 was bought by Pinewood Studios. In February 2016 a 213-on site was announced having been sold to Singaporean firm City Developers. The site has eight studios in total and post production editing facilities as well as set and prop storage, green rooms, wardrobe and makeup and car parking. Many businesses in Teddington rely on the studio as a customer for products and services
Lensbury Club. This was set up in 1920 as a sports club for Shell staff. The land in Broom Road provided space for cricket, rugby, football, ladies' hockey, tennis and chess. In 1933 they merged with BP’s Britannic House and in 1938 a new clubhouse was opened with 162 bedrooms, a dining room, and a ballroom. In the Second World War it was Shell office with allotments on the sports grounds. The connection with BP ended in 1962 while new sports were introduced. It gradually became independently managed although funded by Shell. The club and its facilities continued to expand to become the largest such centre in Europe –but changes meant that wealthy local people were targeted as customers rather than Shell employees. There is said to be little sign of Shell today and the main centre is now a commercial hotel and conference facility while playing fields to the west of Broom Road have been sold.]
St.Mary’s University. Teddington Lock Campus. St Mary’s began as a Catholic teacher training college in 1850 based in Brook Green. They later moved to Strawberry Hill House and in 2014 it got university status. The main campus remains there but the Teddington lock Campus provides sports facilities.
3 The Anglers. This is a Fuller’s house which dates from 1853 and lams to have catered for fishermen in the past.
1-3 This house has a plaque with a head on it above the first floor windows. This is thought to be a portrait of the builder, a Mr Nurse.
58-84 Shell Houses. This is part of a 1920s cottage estate built by the Royal Dutch Shell Company, planned on garden city principles to rent to their employees, but only partially completed. The scheme was designed in 1921 by Joseph, Architects of Godliman’s Street on behalf of St. Helen’s Housing Company, which was a Shell subsidiary. These houses were on the site of the paddock at Teddington Grove House.
Boundary walls of Teddington Grove. These remain alongside side the footpath between Cambridge Road and Twickenham Road.
This was known as Water Lane and has only been Ferry Road since the 19th
2 St. Johns Care Home. It was at one time used as a school and known as Colombo House.
The Boathouse. This is now a chandlery business. It was built probably in 12 at the upper limit of the tidal river and predates Richmond Lock. It has been extended since. James Messenger established a business here and was later Queen's Bargemaster. He built small boats and some unusual craft. During the Great War the yard supplied vessels to Thornycrofts. The Tough family took it over in the 1930s. They also ran a passenger boat service between Richmond and Kingston.
8 The Tide End Cottage. This pub was originally two cottages, and dated from the1820. The pub sign depicts the evacuation of the British Expeditionary Force under German fire from Dunkirk,
Landmark Arts Centre. This is in what was the Church of St Alban the Martyr built in 1889 which was in use as a church until the early 1970s. Following a local campaign it became an art centre. It was designed by local architect William S Niven. Niven had been a pupil of George Gilbert Scott. It was never finished and its west end always had as temporary asbestos wall. The pulpit is thought to be particularly important.
St.Mary. Originally the building was on land belonging to the Benedictine Abbey of Westminster. The oldest part is now the south aisle built in the 16th century. As Teddington grew in the 19th it was decided a larger church was needed and St Alban's was dedicated in 1888 while St Mary’s was closed and allowed to decay. Eventually in 1938 it was rededicated and used while St Alban’s declined. It is a small brick building with brickwork in a diaper pattern. Most of it dates from 1753 with a battlemented tower rebuilt by the scientist Stephen Hales when he was vicar.
Teddington Grove. This was an 18th house designed by William Chambers for Moses Franks. It was later the home of John Walter, founder of ‘The Times’. It was demolished about 1920 having been bought by Royal Dutch Shell. The estate stretched to Twickenham Road with the house on the site of Grove Gardens.
Houses. This is part of a 1920s cottage estate built by the Royal Dutch Shell Company. These houses however are not those as originally designed but conventional semi-detached houses. This was one of the last parts of the estate to be built.
Grove Gardens. These gardens were included as a feature of the estate. They are railed round and have a bowling green and there was once also a putting green. There are two timber pavilions and a sculpture of Diana the huntress with a deer. Cedar trees survive from the grounds of Teddington Grove. An information plaque was installed in 2009.
The Grove estate was laid out here on the site of an orchard and some fruit trees and walls survive
2-18 Shell houses
1-21 Some boundary walls of Teddington Grove remain in the rear gardens here
19 Royal Mail building. This was originally the main Post Office but the main entrance is closed and there is an entrance in Elmfield Avenue for parcel collections. It dates from around 1909.
23 Lloyds Bank. A strange building with a stone facade designed in 1929 by Randall Wells.
38-40 Teddington Arms. Art Deco prints and drink-related posters. To the rear is a traditionally wood-panelled dining area with historic Teddington photographs.
43-47 These are shops in front of and on the site of the vicarage for St. Mary’s Church. This was sold off by auction in 1881.
53-55 Shops built in front of Grove Villas, which was a terrace of houses dating from 1839.
71 The Clock House. This was the The King’s Arms dating from 1853 and as such was a conversion of three 19th cottages with yards & outbuildings. It is first noted as a beer house in 1851 held by the Farrel brewers of Isleworth. It was renamed the Clockhouse in 2013
88 Telephone Exchange. This was built on the site of Bridgeman House. Orlando Bridgeman, lord keeper 1667-72, retired in 1672 to his house here. The house which survived later seems to have been later in date. It was demolished in 1911 and the Telephone Exchange built in 1931
112-118 Grand Parade. These are shops and flats built, probably, in the early 20th. They are on the site of Udney House which was said to have on it the date 1768 and the initials I. K. A picture gallery and collection of paintings here was made by Robert Udney who died in 1802. The gallery was demolished about 1825 and the house was later the home of Niven who built St. Albans church. It was demolished around 1899.
123 The King’s Head Pub. This is recorded in 1689 as having been sold and thus is older – it may be the property described in 1657 with a malthouse and brewhouse. Thomas Cole of the Twickenham brewing family acquired it in 1816. It was rebuilt in the 19th when Cambridge Road was built alongside it. In 2010 it became an upmarket restaurant with the chef Raymond Blanc
135 British Legion. This is an ex-servicemens' club which offers pub games and has a beer garden. It also provides care services and undertakes charitable functions.
172 The Royal Oak. This is listed from 1726 but may date from 1654. It was sold to the Coles brewing family of Twickenham in 1770. It was rebuilt in 1936 and set back on its site. It has been rebuilt again since and renamed Sammy’s Bar
Parish Hall. This was St. Alban’s Parish Hall but is now St Mary with St Alban's Parish Hall and it was built in the 1880s. The hall was renovated with money left for the completion of St Alban's which had never been used and was unable to be used for anything else until eventually Charity Commissioners allowed the money to be released.
Udney Hall. Sir Charles Duncombe, an early 18th banker, built a house just south of the present St. Alban's church. It, or its successor, was later called Udney Hall and was demolished in 1940. It was also known as Teddington House. The house was on the west side of the road south of the Parish Hall.
Udney Hall Gardens, The gardens are an open area of grass, with some mature trees and paths running across it
Manor House. There was a manor-house at Teddington in the 13th and later one on the site had two halls and a private chamber plies farm buildings. It was once said that the manor-house which stood in the 18th had been built by Thomas Sackville, Lord Buckhurst in the 16th. In the 18th ornamental grounds were laid out around the house. It was altered by successive occupiers until by 1816 very little original was left. It was demolished in 1895.
Manor Road Recreation Ground. This stretches to the river and provides access to it. It has mature horse-chestnuts in an avenue of three trees leading towards the river where there is a terrace with seats. The park is mainly grass otherwise with some semi-circular structures set into the slope and a wildflower meadow. It also had a Great War commemorative poppy meadow. There are some sweet chestnut trees planted in 1995 to commemorate the fiftieth anniversary of the United Nations.
The Wharf. This is a brick building which was once a boat house. It is now use as a restaurant
Obelisk erected in 1909 to mark the boundary between Thames Conservancy and Port of London Authority jurisdiction. It carries a plaque which reads "Thames Conservancy Lower Limit 1909". The Thames is tidal to Teddington Lock which is about 200 yards south of the obelisk.
Thames Aqueducts. The ring main passes under here thus area -– a tunnel to take water from the Thames above Teddington to North London. It is built in 102in diameter tunnel in interlocking concrete rings for 19 miles, starts at Hampton Water Works and finishes at the Lockwood reservoir. It was built by Sir William Halcrow & Partners.
Teddington Lifeboat Station. RNLI. This is one of the RNLI’s newest lifeboat stations and one of the first to cover a river rather than estuarial waters or the sea. Teddington is one of four lifeboat stations on the River Thames and it became fully operational in 2002. It was thought that the lifeboat stations on the Thames would have to deal with approximately 50 call outs per year. However, in the first year of operation there were over 800 call outs.
The Grove estate was laid out firstly in the grounds of the paddock of Teddington Grove, now The Grove and Cambridge Road, then on orchard land where many fruit trees and the orchard walls still survive, now Grove Terrace, and finally on the site of the original house, now Grove Gardens.
Houses. This is an estate built by the Royal Dutch Shell Company in the 1920s to their employees. It was designed in 1921 by Joseph, Architects of Godliman’s Street on behalf of St. Helen’s Housing Company, a Shell subsidiary. The original were completed by 1925 and the remainder completed by 1930.
28 Teddington Foundry. Engineering works present in the 1920s at the same address in the 1930s was the Square Grip Reinforced Concrete Co.
Houses. These are part of the 1920s estate built by the Royal Dutch Shell Company, for their employees, but the house types fronting Twickenham Road are later conventional semi-detached houses.
Some boundary walls of Teddington Grove still remain along Twickenham Road,
91 The coach house and part of the stable yard of Teddington Grove
Udney Park Road
Sports ground owned by Imperial College and now sold to developers. These were laid out after the Great War as a memorial to the fallen heroes of the Merchant Taylor’s School, and were later given to St Mary’s Hospital Medical School by Lord Beaverbrook. This gift was on the basis that use of the fields would continue to be restricted to sport, and there were covenants to this effect.
Teddington Lawn Tennis Club. This has evolved from a Baptist Club. The Baptist Sunday School Library set up a tennis club in 1908 called the Queens Road Club. They used three; later four, grass courts, and in 1914 moved to a rented plot in Vicarage Road and changed its name to Teddington Lawn Tennis Club. In 1922 the Secretary bought the land and leased it to the club. The club has continued and developed since,
Teddington Pools and Fitness Centre. This is owned and operated by the London Borough of Richmond. It was originally a lido built 1931, probably on the site of an orchard, and closed in 1976. It was rebuilt as an indoor pool in 1978. There are two pools and a hydrotherapy pool plus a gym and studio space. It is home to Richmond Swimming Club, Teddington Swimming Club and Teddington Sub Aqua Club.
This is named after a 19th landlord of the adjacent Kings Arms.
Playground which may include a paddling pool which may be a relic of the old lido.
British History OnLine. Teddington. Web site
Clunn. The Face of London
Field. London place names
Greater London Council. Thames Guidelines
Landmark Art Centre. Web site
Lidos in London. Web site
London Borough of Richmond. Web site
London Gardens Online. Web site
London Transport. Country walks-
Middlesex County Council. History of Middlesex,
Parker. North Surrey
Pevsner and Cherry. South London
RNLI. Web site
St. Mary’s University. Web site
Teddington Lawn Tennis Club. Web site
Teddington Society. Web site
The Lensbury, Web site
Tide End Cottage, Web site
Twickenham Museum. Web site
Walford .Village London
Wikipedia. As appropriate