Riverside east of the Tower and north of the River. Purfleet Unilever

Riverside north of the river and east of the Tower
Purfleet Unilever
TQ 56405 77889

A stretch of industrial riverside with oil storage a major factor - along with the Unilever margerine factory.

Post to the west Purfleet. Purfleet Board Mills (north bank) and Long Reach Hospital (south bank)
Post to the south Purfleet jetties (north bank) and Littlebrook (south bank)

Jurgens Road.
Unilever.  This was originally the Van der Bergh Jurgens works set up in 1917. It is now Unilever's‘spreads’ factory - Stork, Flora, Bertolli, and ICBINB margarine.  It is an integrated refinery for crude oils and fats alongside a jetty .The plant produces 180,000 tonnes of margarine and olive oil based spreads per year, the equivalent of nearly one million 500g packs every day. Waste mayonnaise from is turned into biofuel and plastic laminates
Pura Foods. This company makes a range of edible oil and fat produces and dates from 1987.

London Road
Mountain of Fire and Miracles. Purfleet Branch this is in what was Purfleet Baptist church.
Purfleet Baptist Church. In 1892 a congregation met in a member’s home. Charles Hall, a Baptist and manager of the Anglo American Oil Company offered them a room in the Company offices. A site for a church was leased from Samuel Whitbread this opened in 1897 under the Grays Baptist Tabernacle. A new church was built in 1938 and the old church became the Sunday School. Both buildings were bombed in 1940 and demolished and a new church opened in 1950.
Esso Refinery.  The oil installation, now belonging to Esso, was established in 1888, and by the end of the Great War about 50,000,000 gallons of oil were passing it each year.  It provides fuel to customers in the South and East of England receiving it direct from Esso’s Fawley refinery via cross country pipeline. It can also accept deliveries by ship to its jetty. The site had five bottom loading bays of which three are typical retail bays for Mogas, Super Unleaded and Diesel and two bays for Diesel and Gasoil.  No refining takes place and the tanks, are for storage purposes only.
Purfleet Wharf and Saw Mills. a company for marketing West Australian timber, and had bought forty-two acres of ground at Purfleet in Essex to use as a depot known as Purfleet Wharf and Saw Mills, Ltd. It was set up in 1902 and closed in 1941
The Fleet. Restaurant and bar. This was previously Purfleet Club and Institute founded in 1904 although the building was formally opened in 1909. The club closed in 2004.
Jarrah Cottages. These were built by Purfleet Wharf and Saw Mills for their workers. Jarrah is a type of Australian hard wood.
Cobelfret. Purfleet Deep Wharf. This is the C Ro Ports London Ltd ro-ro terminal owned by the Cobelfret Group which handles cars and trailers in conventional ro-ro style as well as using two rail-mounted gantry cranes and a fleet of reachstackers. Annual throughput is around 200,000 containers, 250,000 trailers and 250,000 cars. There are three daily sailings to Zeebrugge and one to Rotterdam. The terminal has its own rail sidings from the London-Southend line which can handle container and car traffic. Among the manufacturers using the terminal are General Motors (Vauxhall and Opel), BMW, Mercedes and Mazda. C Ro ports operate in Europe and Scandinavia and date from 1928.

Archives online. Web site
British History Online. West Thurrock
Francis. The Cement Industry
Port of London Magazine
Thurrock Council. Web site
Unilever. Web site


Popular posts from this blog

Bromley by Bow

South Norwood

River Lea/Bow Creek Canning Town