Gospel Oak to Barking Railway. Tufnell Park
The railway from Gospel Oak Station runs north east wards
Post to the north Archway
This posting covers only the south west corner of this square, The other three are:
Archway to the north west
Upper Holloway the the north east
Upper Holloway to the south east
1-16 built 1860
10 This was St. John’s High School for Girls 1886-1895
16 in 1896 this was Stella House Collegiate School for Girls. Then until 1914 it was Cathcart College for Boys.
Dartmouth Park Hill
Lord Palmerston. 19th pub with a film club upstairs.
A private gated housing area on an old rail side site.
Constructed in 1813 as a feeder road to Archway. It is now cut off at the north end.
142 -144 Tufnell Park Cricket and Football Club – now Tufnell Park Playing Fields – appears from map evidence to have had its original 19th entrance between 142 and 144, both of which are different to other houses in the road, both appear to have crosses on the gables, and may have been lodge but the northern one appears to be a chapel something similar. The southern one has a date plaque of 1884. A pavilion is shown at the rear of them. These date from some time before 1895 goods yard
Halls of Residence. London Metropolitan University private student accommodation on part of the site of the old goods yard. This was the site of cattle sheds initially.
Links Kentish Town and Holloway, 1811
102 St Christopher’s Court. This was Junction Road Congregational Church built in 1866-1867 by G.S.Harrison. It was damaged in Second World War bombing and in 1952 became the Church of the Growing Light. In 1972 it became Junction Road United Reform Church, but was closed in 1978It is now housing.
112a this address now consists of a walkway to the Tremlett Grove Estate. In the past it led to an industrial area on which the estate is now built. In 1895 it was a depot for London Street Tramways. They ran horse tram services in parts of east and north east London and maps show tram lines running into the depot through an entrance on the site of the current walkway. Small buildings shown to the rear are presumably stables. Bus operations may have continued from here and the site was used before the Second World War by both the Central Omnibus Co. and Dauntless Bus Co. From the early 1920s the site was used by Coventon Freights and Associated Commercial Car Hirers Ltd. They were a heavy freight and haulage contracting business, undertaking regular services and running a fleet of specially equipped 10-ton Scammell tractor lorries. After the Second World War this became the Tremlett Grove Works and used by Junction Moulds & Tools Ltd., and W. & A. Williamson & Co., Ltd., who made radiators and lamps for passenger transport vehicles. The current flats on the site were built in 1960
151 Prince of Denmark. This was opened in 1869 in what was then Hargrave Park Terrace. It was a Charrington’s Pub which closed in 1984. The building is now housing.
207a Shaolin Temple. This is a martial arts school based on Shaolin culture - Gong Fu-Ch'an, Qi Gong and Ch'an Buddhist Meditation. It was founded in 2000 by Shifu Shi Yanzi
Junction Road Station. This stood at the corner of Station Road and was opened in 1872 by the Tottenham & Hampstead Junction Railway. It had two wooden platforms, accessed by a footbridge and stairs. Passenger numbers dropped after the opening of Tufnell Park tube. It was closed to passengers in 1916 and thereafter was used for goods.
Odeon. Work began to build this by T.P. Bennett & Son in 1939. It was planned to be part of the Oscar Deutsch chain of Odeon Theatres. By the outbreak of the Second World War only half of the outside walls were finished but permission to complete the building was granted and a roof was added. The building was used for storage during the war. The cinema was eventually opened in 1955. The facade was made up with cream tiles and there was a short tower on the left side. Inside decoration was minimal with clustered lights on the ceiling. It was closed by the Rank Organisation in 1973. The building and land was sold and it was demolished in 1974. Some of the exterior wall may remain on the Junction Road frontage.
The road was built before 1871on land owned by the Corporation of the Sons of the Clergy. Named for Sir James Pemberton a 17th freeholder of Highbury and Lord Mayor.
St John’s Church of England Primary School. This was built on the site of houses in 1967. It had originated as a 19th school in Hornsey Lane and moved to Pemberton Gardens. It stood next to St. Johns Church in 1931 and later moved to this site.
Holloway Bus Garage. Built by the London County Council as a conduit electric tram depot in 1907. Initially called Holloway Garage it was afterwards renamed as Highgate. After the Second World War it was the only north London tram depot still in operation. It operated buses and trolleybuses until 1961 and then became a motor bus garage. It became known as Holloway Garage again after 1971. It is now owned by Metroline Travel Ltd.
Advertisment. On the wall of the corner shop with Junction Road is a painted advertisement for auction rooms
Reservoirs. Dartmouth Park Hill Gardens is on the site of two covered reservoirs built here in 1855 by the New River Company and connected to the Green Lanes pumping station and Stoke Newington reservoirs. The park was laid out on the edge of the reservoirs and opened to the public in 1972
Tufnell Park Goods Depot -, opened in 1886 largely to serve the Metropolitan Cattle Market. Cattle were unloaded here and taken along Tufnell Park Road to the Caledonian Road market. The depot closed in 1968 and is now the site of the Bush Industrial Estate. The site was also used as a British Road Services Depot.
Signal box which served the goods depot.
Bush Industrial Estate
The Tremlett Grove Estate consists of 5 low-rise apartment blocks, built c1960. The blocks are of modular concrete frame construction with infill insulated steel panels to the front and rear elevations.
Tufnell Park Playing Fields
Tufnell Park Playing Fields were formed on the site of a 19th-century cricket pitch. It later became the playing fields for the Northern Polytechnic and was used by Tufnell Park Football Club and there were grandstands aroid the ground. Trench Air raid shelters were built there in the Second World War. It was later the University of London Playing Field, but is now owned by LB Islington.
Large ceramic mural on the wall of a house in Junction Road, Appears to be sub-Matisse 1950s possibly
Abandoned Stations. Web site
Aim Archive. Web site
BGO History. Web site
Cathcart Hill Historical Society. Web site
Cinema Treasures. Web site
Clunn. Face of London
Connor. Forgotten Stations,
Day. London Underground
Dodds. London Then
Glazier. London Transport Garages
London Borough of Islington. Web site
London Gardens on Line. Web site
Nairn. Modern Buildings,
Pevsner and Cherry. London North
Shaolin Temple. Web site
Summerson. Georgian London
Willats. Streets of Islington