Gade flows southwards
Post to the north Gadebridge
Post to the south The Magic Roundabout
Farm. This was on the corner with St. Pauls Road. In the mi-1920s the Statutory
Fair was held here as well as some circuses, etc.
road has been realigned around the site of the disused station
Hempstead Station. This was opened in
1877 by the Midland Railway and was originally a terminus. The station was next
to an embankment at the junction with Midland Road opposite the Midland Hotel.
It had a single platform and a booking office and waiting room. There was a
goods yard to the west of the station. Passenger traffic on the line ended in
1947 and the station closed fully in 1963. Nothing
remains of the station and there is a block of flats on the site and the road layout
has been altered.
Railway. The line was built to provide a town-centre
railway link to Hemel Hempstead which had been lobbied for by the local
authority for many years. The project was eventually taken over by the Midland
Railway and opened in 1877 with trains to Luton and was used for goods
transport, in particular the Luton hat industry.
Church. This was built on land owned by
the Paston-Coopers who wanted to found a New Town. It dates from 1890 to
replacing an iron chapel by Mr. Cranstone of the foundry. Until the 1960s it was affiliated to the
Congregational Union but since then it has become evangelical.
park on the site of a fire station which was adjacent to No.17. .The fire
station was there in the early 1930s and had moved to a site at the rear,
fronting on Queensway by 1970. In the 1920s it appears to have been a post
Alexandra Resource Centre. NHS facility for a range of services
Treetops Project. NSPCC
Alexandra Nursing Home
Green – in the 1970s this was sited between this road and Marlowes in an area
now used for car parking.
Road ran between Marlowes and Leighton Buzzard Road, south of what was Bury
Road and is now Queensway. The West
Herts College now covers it.
beds on the Gade could be accessed from here.
was earlier called Plait Market Yard – involved with the straw plait trade.
Austin was the name of the grocer with a shop on the corner of the yard.
House. Modern sheltered housing block on the site of an independent chapel
fronting onto Chapel Street
Lodge. Residential Care Home.
House. This was a hunting lodge in 1550 and then converted to a gentleman’s
house. It has two 2 blocks from the 16th and 18th. In 1677 it was the home of
Francis King and in 1799 the home of Ebenezer John Collett. Collet added a
bakery, stables and a coach house as well as extending the grounds. The
rainwater head is dated ‘1800’ with initials ‘lC.’ By the 1920s it was a school
and later used by Cavendish School as an annexe. It later became housing
Cottage. A timber- framed brick and
Jolly Drayman Pub. Long gone.
of Collett School. This was called after Collett because it was built in the
grounds of Lockers. It has moved post 1970 and this housing built on the site
the mid 20th Bury Road turned east at the Northern End along the route of what
is now Queensway
Brewery. This was owned initially in 1859
by James Elliott and by Spicer Elliot until 1912 and stood at the bottom of
Bury Hill. The produced XX Mild Ale for
a shilling a gallon, and bottled ales
Six Bells. Pub for Elliott’s the
brewers. Demolished 1954 by which time it was a Beskins House. The site is
under the road widening and roundabout.
used by Bream Coaches in the 1930s/40s
Nags Head pub. Long gone
Ebenezer House. Has this anything to do with the Baptist Burial ground
ground. The site was purchased by the
Carey Baptist Church in 1711
Mill End Junior School. This was a small 19th school. Closed in 1964 and demolished
Gasworks. The Hemel Hempstead
Gas Light and Coke Company was set up in 1835.
seven retorts and a gasholder were built in what was then called Popes
Lane – later Bury Mill End – it would have been on the east side of Bury Road.
It was later to leased to John Cox and in 1860, Mr Cranstone, of the ironworks,
took over this lease. Another gas company was formed at Boxmoor in 1868 and
they started discussions with Cranstone on buying out some of his interests.
There had however been many complaints and another yet company as set up to
take the original works over. The works seems to have lasted into the 1880s.
of Christ Church – this stood next to the congregational chapel. There is now housing
on the site
includes the eastern end of the grounds of Lockers Park School – a private fee
paying school. This part of the grounds includes their heated swimming pool
which dates back to at least before the Great War.
was the name of a local family of gentry
Hempstead Central Library
Station. Hertfordshire Constabulary
is the area of Rose and Crown Meadow. The Statute hiring fair moved here in the
19th and it became a professional showmen’s fair. Flats and houses were built
here in the late 1950s.
Tree Hill Gardens. Part of this is a Baptist Burial Ground
Engineering Works. Joseph Cranstone from Horsham set up an ironmongery business
at 25, High Street in 1798. His son
later set up an iron foundry at the back of the shop known as the Phoenix
works. This, in turn, was taken over by William, his 14th child. In 1906 the
Cranstone Engineering Works were taken over by Summerling and Company which was
liquidated in 1984. The Phoenix Works became part of the Hemel Hempstead
Market. The market has been in what is now Lower Queensway By the end of the
18th this was closed and the market moved to a meadow behind the Rose and
Crown. It survived here up to the Second World War.
of Hope daffodil display. This lies west of the Leighton Buzzard Road
Memorial Garden. In 2004, the Hemel Hempstead and St Albans Still Birth and
Neonatal Death Society memorial garden was opened. It is a garden for anyone
who has been touched by the death of a baby. Statue "Hugging Couple"
is by Mark Humphrey.
House - Walled Garden or Charter Garden is the site of the first Bury House.
Before 1539 this was the home of the Waterhouse family. On the north wall is a plaque commemorating people
from Dacorum who served in South East Asia Command who died in the Far East in
the Second World War
Walk - before 1900 this lay parallel and south of the west end of the road.
Mary’s House. Sheltered housing.
Street Primary School. This was originally a natonal school which was rebuilt
and opened here in 1855 and is the oldest school in Hemel Hempstead. In 1878 the infants department moved to but they were
reunited as George Street Primary School in a new
building in 1969
Old School House
School for Girls. Olive House was here for a short time in the early 20th,
of the Hop Garland. This is now a house but the inn sign bracket remains
This was once
known as Market Street
Lloyd's Bank. Corner building from 1884. This is in red brick with terracotta
floral decorations and a turret over the corner door.
9 site of The
Boot, a 19th pub which closed in the 1930’s, and the licence transferred to a
pub on St. Albans Hill.
11 The House
of Elliott this is a gift shop in a building on the site of the 17th Ship pub. This
was noted in the 1740s as having once been called The Hollybush. The building
is said to be over 300 years old and has also been a tea room and bonnet
makers. It has green faience tiling around the entrance.
Charleston House with a bronze art deco shop front. Built in the 1930s it is said
to be an old car showroom but the front appears to be that of an old
18th front on a 16th or 17th building. Modern shop on
one side and 19th shop on the other
20 probably early 20th
two early 20th shop fronts and flats above
Home and Colonial. A 19th front on an earlier building. The original shop sign
has been uncovered. This building was
once the Cock Inn, one of the first inns here and conveyed by the Earl of
Leicester to the Earl of Bedford in 1574 but by the mid-19th it was a common
lodging house. In 1857 Joseph Cranstone, bought it in order to extend his iron
Half Moon Yard.
The Centre in the Park, Hemel Hempstead Old People’s Day Centre.
Shop which is said to be an old Burtons, with an art deco shopfront. The lettering
of ‘Baldock’ and ‘Welwyn Garden City’ is over the door – which seems to
indicate use by a property agency. It is now in two units as general stores. At
the side and above is The Dance Centre. Over Burton’s was a billiard hall, later The
Betty Bousten Dancing School, and then the Burton Dance Studio. This had been founded
in the 1950s specialising in Ballroom and Latin American dance. Part of the
area was the site of the Half Moon pub which was an 18th pub which closed in
building in red brick with a modern shop front. This is the site of Cranstone’s
ironmongery business which developed into the Phoenix Foundry, behind.
19th stuccoed building with 20th shop front.
former bank. Dated in a pretty decorative panel over the door to 1902. Arts and
Crafts detailing and the building is timber framing with brick infill. This is
the site of The Dolphin, an 18th pub and which later in the century was
converted into The King Harry Coffee Tavern
whitewashed brick building which was once the Swan Inn. In 1756 landlord Thomas
Sellar had five bedrooms and stabling for 31 horses. It was later used by
workers from Cranstone’s Iron Foundry in the alley next door. It closed in 1963.
30-34 The White
Hart Pub. This name is recorded in 1625. It is a 17th timber framed building
with a brick ground floor. There is a carriageway from the front. The pub is clearly expanding and has spread
down the street into other buildings.
Shop with an Edwardian façade the original ground floor is now divided into
two. Above is an oriel window.
18th building with red brick front. A rainwater head has ‘1728 and ‘S’ above ‘W
19th brick building with 19th shop front. Now part of the White Hart
16th or 17th building with timber framework exposed. New front from the 19th
19th building with timber framework at the back.
Rectory. At the rear of 40.
41 The King's
Arms Pub. 17th timber framed building. The back is half timbered with a first
floor open gallery. It has been known as The King's Arms since the early 17th
and dates are shown on the rain water heads. The building retreats into a side
alley and straw plait was sold in the yard. It was created by the merger
The Black Lion (or Lyon), and The Princes Arms, named after The Prince of
Wales, who became King George III.
part of The King's Arms Public House. It has 19th stucco and shop front
19th front on an earlier building
47, 47a modern building on the site of the Three Compasses also called The
Compasses, an 18th pub. At the beginning
of the 20th it was acquired by Benskins Brewery but the lack of stabling and
space for vehicles led to closure in 1912.
The Old Town Hall. This was built in the
1880s by George Low in Jacobean style and has been an arts centre and theatre
since 1978. It is on the site of The Lamb Pub and stands on Church property.
The pub was built by the Vicar of St. Marys in 1527 and was also called The
Paschal Lamb. As the Town Hall it included the Corn Exchange and the Literary
Institute. The central block was built in 1851 and wings added. It has a tower
with an octagonal top. The gates of were designed by a member of the Cranstone family
but due to their size, were cast in Coalbrookdale.
site of the Lamb Inn. On the wall is a
plaque recording information on the Bailiwick of Hemel Hempstead and the
market. In 1539 the town was granted a Royal charter by King Henry VIII to
become a Bailiwick with the right to hold a market and a fair. It says
“Bailiwick of Hemel Hempstead this market place was formed and these buildings
erected by the Bailiff and the Town Improvement Committee 1882”
Close. Old Market Square. There is a long history of markets and market sites
in the town. In the ancient market-place by the start of the 19th was a long
range of corn lofts standing on wooden pillars, beneath which open markets were
held. The court loft was at the north end. In 1825 a town hall was built in the
centre of this area but was demolished in 1852 and the new town hall built
above the open market-place, which in 1857 was enclosed as the corn exchange.
The stalls had to go out in the street. In 1868 the remaining part of the
market-house was demolished and a new one built on the site. A new market place
was later developed out of part of the churchyard. The market moved to a new
site to the south near Marlowes with the inception of the new town.
Tower. This stone porch way into the gardens was the entrance into the second
Bury House, built between 1540 and 1595 by the Combes family. The arms of
Richard Combes are on the upper story of the Tower. Richard Combes building
remained there until 1790. The name derives from a story that Henry VIII stayed
there in 1539 and gave the town its Royal Market Charter from the upper window
Barn – site of a barn, said to be the tithe barn, and used as an ironmongers
store in the 1930s.
Mary. Ancient building of stone, flint rubble and Roman brick built about 1140
and finished about 40 years later making it one of the oldest parish churches
in the county. The spire is one of the tallest in
Europe and was added in the 14th century to reach 200 feet, topped by a gilded
weather vane. In 1302 a cell of Ashridge
Priory was founded here and the church had collegiate status until the
Dissolution. A door in the tower gave the monks access to the church without
meeting ordinary people. It was partly rebuilt in 1846
and ‘restored’ in 1863. There is a
Monument to Sir Paston Cooper -the "sergeant-surgeon" to George IV,
William IV and Queen Victoria; as well as to the Combe family of Bury Manor and
a 14th brass. There is a copy of Foxe's
'Book of Martyrs'. There is a Walker
organ refurbished in 2008. A peal of 5 bells was recorded in the 16th but the present
peal of 8 bells date from 1590 to 1767. They were rehung in 1950 and retuned by
Gillet and Johnson of Croydon.
19th frontage on an earlier building. It might have been an infill to a carriageway
arch. There is a 20th shopfront
51 The Old Bell
Pub. This is an 18th building on the site of an inn of 1603, itself built on
what was described as a ploughed field. it was
Probably named after the Old Market Bell in the Market House There is a
rainwater head dated ‘1725’ and on the first floor is a balcony, with
decorative iron railings.. It could stable 54 horses, and had its own
blacksmith. There are said to be secret
passages to the church and Marchmont House. Some French wallpaper dating
back to 1821, has been cleaned by the V & A Museum
this is a 19th shop with a flat above, it is in an Arts and Crafts style, with mock
timber framing. In the 19th this was the site of the 53 The Legged Inn, or The
-58 19th brick building with shop
-59 19th brick buildings
60 16th or 17th
building with stucco on timber frame. This was once The Red Lion known in 1756 when
it had four bedrooms, and stabling for 16 horses. It closed in 1900.
62 – 64 19th
building with stucco and shop. Site of the Kings Head, or the Old Kings Head,
an 18th pub that closed in 1888.
barn at the back
18th front on a 16th timber framed brick building. A rainwater head has the
date ‘1736’, with initials ‘S’ above ‘W S’. The ground floor is a 19th shop but
there may be 16th panelling inside. This was the Angel Inn in the 19th
with its own pew with an angel carved on it in St. Mary’s church. The inn sign
of The Lord Nelson was discovered in the basement of this pub
- 69 18th building with a rainwater head dated ‘1714’ with initials ‘IW’.
Modern shop fronts.
18th Whitewashed brick building
18th building with a front of brick and plaster on a timber frame with timbers
-72 18th fronted building
18th house with a rainwater head dated ‘1730’ with initials ‘N’ above ‘I S.
Plum’. On the glazing 2nd floor are a pair of dummy windows
19th stucco front on an earlier building
17th or 18th plastered front in a timber framed house
- 77 these were built at street level in the 16th as one building. Until 1781
it was the Mermaid Inn. This was a
substantial business with six beds and stabling for 14 horses. One wing, with
minor extensions in 1800, was the site of the Lord Nelson Pub.
76 – 78 this
was once The Brewers Arms pub. It is an 18th brick building with a rainwater
head dated ‘1719’ with initials ‘TS’. It was also called The Poachers
Retreat. It closed in 1959, and is now housing.
16th and 17th timber frame building with cart way under the taller structure.
15th or 15th building with timber framework exposed internally with a 19th
projecting shop front
81 -83 18th
building with a rainwater head dated ‘1726’ with initials ‘H’ above ‘I M.
Brown’. There is a central carriageway between shop windows and two dummy
windows above. This was The Sun Inn dating from the 17th century when the
publican fought for the King in the Earl of Oxford’s Regiment. It had five beds
and stabling for 30 horses. It became the meeting place for the Artisans
Benefit Society, a sick club. It closed in 1960
- 88 18th or earlier building
20th purpose built shop with a flat above
86 this was the
Coach and Horses, a 19th pub that closed in 1903,
19th stucco front on earlier building with, modern shop window
19 stucco fronted building with 20th shop front
95 18th or 19th building with 19th and 20th shop fronts and a cart entrance
-96 19th brick building
-100 19th building with upstairs central dummy window and some pargetting
18th brick building with a modern shop front and an earlier back which is
timber framed with whitewashed brick.
18th with stucco refacing and 19th shop window
105 – 107 this
is the old Royal Oak Pub which dated from 1523 but is a 19th remodelling of the
earlier house. The name was changed from The Oak to commemorate the restoration
of Charles II to the throne in 1664, a house of correction was established in a
part of the premises with Christopher Mitchell appointed Master. By the
end of the 17rh it was used as an ordinary jail. In the 19th after the jail closed
it became a “public house”, but in reality it was a lodging house and remained
as such up to the Second World War. Finally it closed in the 1970s
107a 19th front
on an earlier building.
-111 19th buildings
and Lamp Post with a plaque which says “Erected by public subscription 1843,
James Cross, Bailiff". This was cast by Joseph Cranston of Hemel Hempstead
and is a cast-iron obelisk with panelled and ornamented sides, including small
portrait of Henry VIII, and surmounted by a lantern.
Walls of the Manor House. These brick walls date from the 16th and were partly
rebuilt in the 19th. They follow the outline of part of the former Manor House
built for Sir Richard Combe.
called Hospital or Infirmary Lane
Herts Hospital. The original West Herts
was founded by Sir Astley Paston
in 1826 in cottages in Piccotts End. This was soon
outgrown and in 1831 Sir Thomas Sebright built “a handsome and substantial infirmary"
This later became Kings College Convalescent Home and then renamed Cheere House
in 1878. By 1946 it was a training school and nurses’ home and subsequently the
Postgraduate Medical Centre. A new 50
bed building was opened in 1877 by the Duchess of Teck. In 1899 the hospital
installed X-Ray facilities. However the Hospital relied on charitable
donations, and by 1910 it was in great financial difficulty. It was enlarged
and a new foundation stone laid by the Prince of Wales in 1926 and the Marnham
Maternity Ward was opened a year after.. The Queen Mother opened new
outpatients block in 1959 and the Tudor Wing opened in 1987. The complex is now
a part of the Hemel Hempstead General Hospital.
School and Reformatory. This was on the corner with Marlowes. It was set up in
the early 1860s to deal with children in custody and taken over by the
Children’s Society in the 1880s. It later became a convalescent home
Herts College. This was established in 1991, as an amalgamation of local further
education colleges such as Cassio, Dacorum and George Stephenson Colleges.
Dacorum College itself replaced a number of shops and a garage when Leighton
Buzzard Road and the roundabout were built.
Printing works – printed the local newspaper. This was on a site to the north
west corner of what is now the roundabout.
Anchor Brewery. This had been started in this area as a small scale concern by
William Liddon. It expanded greatly in the late 19th with different owners and
increase in tied houses. It was eventually take over by Beskins. They made
Imperial Stout and Fine India Pale Ale.
parks. the car parking between the road and the river were part of the original
plans for the New Town. A tall beech hedge runs alongside them. this hard edge
represents the hard tufted back of the serpent
market square was moved here from the old town centre with the inception of the
Mosaic of Henry VIII,
Sebright Arms. Closed and demolished
The Wishing Well. Pub
Maitland Joseph House. Jewish residential home which includes Hemel Hempstead Synagogue - United Synagogue - affiliate,
Previously the site was Brown and Merry Estate Agents and before that
Berkhampstead and District Co-operative Society. Before that it was Foden’s Nursery
The White House. It dates from 1741, but was remodelled in the 19th and it has a
20th extension. It has a single storey
20th Neo-Georgian style projecting shop front. The first Baptist chapel in
Hemel Hempstead was built in 1688 in the grounds of this property
53 Old Marlowe House. Originally built
1650. Until 1678 this was the dower house of The Bury which was sold by Combes
Little Marlowe’s House. 18th cottage with some early Georgian workmanship. This
is now a solicitor’s office.
House – on early 20th maps this is marked as opposite Old Marlowe House and standing
roughly on the site of the market square. Presumably this was New Marlowe House.
first telephone exchange in Hemel Hempstead. Apparatus Room on the ground
floor. Closed in 1965
– 59 19th brick building
-65 19th brick building
19th Colour washed brick building
– 77 19th. Colour washed brick building
78 Seldon family builders firm store was here.
– 85 19th building
Carey Baptist Church. A Baptist
group formed in the town in 1679. In 1861 the current church was opened to replace
a chapel in Crown Yard. It is a large church in Early English Gothic style to
which schoolrooms were added by 1865, and a
manse a year later. Carey Baptist Church was formed in October 1980 by
joint with Boxmoor Baptist Church. It was named Carey after William Carey an
18th founder of the Baptist Missionary Society and a memorial stone was moved
here from Boxmoor.
Church. There was a Methodist church in Hemel Hempstead by the mid 19th. Fundraising for a new chapel in Marlowes began
in 1882 and the church was opened in 1890. It had an upper floor, with a library,
three classrooms and a wash room. An organ was installed in 1907 and a grand
piano was given by the Wesley Church in St Albans.
Pavilion. The Pavilion was built in the 1960s in
front of the library by Clifford Culpin. It was an entertainments venue that
hosted acts until the 1990s.It closed and the building demolished in 2002
Centre, built 1962 as part of the new town development by Clifford Culpin and
Partners. With plaque of Henry VIII
baths – part of the adjacent waterworks. The civic centre now stands on the
This dated from before the mid 1850s ad was set up as a water and laundry
company, including public baths. Demolished for the new town.
Multi Storey car park with Mural by Roland Emmet. 1959
Full House Pub. This was the Odeon cinema for which the foundation stone was laid by Lauren Bacall and it was
opened in 1960. The interior was designed for spaciousness and modern luxury –
the screen was vast. The site included a Presto food outlet which became a Wimpey bar. In 1974 it went
over to bingo for part of the week but in the 1990s a new multiplex opened and the
Odeon closed. It is now a Wetherspoon’s pub.
The road has been developed since the 1960s and at its northern
end crosses and partly encompasses the former goods yard of the defunct railway
Goods yard – there was a timber goods shed, cattle pens
and some sidings and it opened with the station in 1877. It was known as Midland
Yard and remained open until 1963 – much later than the station – and a private
siding for Hemellite remained after
that. Demolished in 1969.
Hall. Jehovah’s Witnesses
Fernville Road or Nannygoat Lane.
House, this was a large house which became subsequently site of Somerfield
supermarket. The turf from the garden
reused on one of the magic roundabouts.
railway crossed it. The bridge has been demolished but the parapet on the north side has survived where the
present-day cycle path to Harpeneden begins.
Part of the former Hemel Hempstead Midland Station site
lies under a grassed area in front of the Midland Hotel.
Hotel. Built to serve the railway in 1899
western section of this was formerly part of Bury Road
Mill. This is said to have been on a site now covered by the roundabout, on the
corner of Bury Road and Bury Hill. In the 20th Howard’s petrol station was on the
ground floor. There were mill ponds to the north of the mill.
Bury. The Bury is an ancient name, usually
referring to a fortified house, in this case the fortification may have been
the marshy valley which is now Gadebridge Park. The first Bury was referred to
in the 1289 Ashridge Charter where "Burymilne"- the Mill near the
Bury - was included. Prior to 1539 the Bury was the home of the Waterhouse
family, whose name today is remembered by Waterhouse Street. In the 20th it
was the HQ of the Divisional Education Offices and Register Office. At the old Kitchen Garden a sailor is said to
have entered a tunnel for a bet and found it connected first with the crypt at
St.Mary's Church and thence under the River Gade to the cellars of Lockers House
Hall. The Territorial Force was formed
in 1908 and the Cavalry unit based here was the Hertfordshire Yeomanry, It was
commanded by Lieutenant Lovel F. Smeathman, son of the Borough Solicitor.
Lodge. DENS Homelessness shelter
Broadway. This was the area between the section which
was Bury Road and the High Street. Tudorised shops at the entrance to
engine house. Joseph Cranstone formed the Volunteer Fire Brigade in 1845 and
was superintendent for 33 years. The fire engine house stood at the entrance to
Gadebridge, and was replaced by a new building on same site in 1905. The
building remains in Queensway.
18th front and 19th back wing with modern shop front. This is a Greek
restaurant – was or is the Hemel Hempstead Club,
18th building with wrought iron front railings.
12 and 14 18th houses with stucco front and modern shop fronts
Hope House - charity working with children
16th or 17th building with an 18th stucco front and 19th shop
-29 19th building with modern shop front. A 16th wing has a carriageway with a
plastered timber framed first floor
19th L-shaped building in brick
the corner of High Street westwards the road was once called Queen Street.
and Ambulance Station
offices on White Lion House. Site of The White Lion, an 18th Pub known from
The Swan and
Trout, 18th lodging house,
Infant School. Long gone and demolished
Air Training Corps
was once called Bell Road
Alleys. Friends Meeting House., Built in 1718 and renovated in 1808 and 1860. Brick
building of purple and red brick with a burial ground at its side. It is the second
oldest place of worship in the town built on land purchased from the Bell Inn
for £26. Quakers also had the right to draw water from the well of the Inn and
to drive their coaches through the arch into the High Street. The oldest part
of the Meeting House has arched windows and there was originally a shuttered
gallery which was later removed. Gravestones were also removed and put by the
walls to create a large garden
House flats. Old Police Station. Became probation offices in 1958
were late medieval owners of The Bury. The road was built as part of the scheme
for Jellicoe’s new town plans in the mid 1950s.
Lawn, the road runs along the eastern edge of the gardens alongside the Eastern
Lawn – a long open area of grass with occasional trees. This
was to represent the underside of the serpent. Originally this was to be a lawn
between the road and the canalised river – but trees have been planted and
ducks and swans have done things to the grass.
Army Citadel. The army moved to this site in 1908 from Albion Hill - although the citadel building is clearly later
gardens were a key part of Geoffrey Jellicoe’s plans for the new town. The canalised Gade forms a key element and the ‘backbone’ of the Gardens.
The water starts as a narrow channel at its northern end running the length of
the Gardens. A culvert under the park removes excess water. There is the hidden allegory of a serpent which
extends the length of the water feature. There is an open plan to allow views
in and out to the surrounding and the design exerts a play with perspectives. Balconies were built out over the water for
Bridges - A series of bridges cross the water. .
Four of these are pedestrian bridges - simple arched concrete structures designed
to appear to spring across the water
mound. A large mound with mature trees is at the northern
end and was an important part of Jellicoe’s design. It was built with material
excavated from the canal and was designed as the hill which the watercourse –
seen as the serpent’s tail – rested against. It was not to be a view point
Lovers Walk. On the west side of the Gade and enclosed
linear space with planting
play area – part of the original design
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Carey Baptist Church. Web site
Cinema Treasures. Web site
Dacorum Council. Web site
Dacorum Heritage Trust. Web site
Dacorum History Digest. Web site
Disused Stations. Web site
Fire station. Web site
Friends. Web site
George Street School., Web site
Hemel Hempstead Station. Wikipedia. Web site
Hertfordshire County Council. Web site
Hertfordshire Genealogy. Web site
National Archives. Web site
Old Town Hall. Web site.
Our Dacorum. Web site
St.Mary’s Church. Web site
St.Mary’s Church. Wikipedia Web site
Whitelaw. Hidden Hertfordshire