Pymmes Brook - Weir Hall
Pymmes Brook flows eastwards
Post to the west Palmers Green
Post to the east Tanners End
Post to the south White Hart Lane
Great Cambridge Road
Great Cambridge Junction. This is where the North Circular road and the A10 meet. It is the most northerly point of the North Circular.
The Cambridge Hotel and Off Licence. Demolished when the roundabout was upgraded.
Weir Hall Library. Demolished when the roundabout was upgraded
Public toilets. Demolished when the roundabout was upgraded
Hollywood Gardens. Sited on the site of Hedge Lane Gravel Pit given to Edmonton Borough Council in the 1930s for use as a public park and developed as Tatem Park. This ornamental garden was laid out on the level part of the site in the south some time later. The entrance has gates with red-brick piers and railings. In 1983 a central area was developed as a nature park with over 1,000 trees plus wild flowers and native grasses. On the corner with Great Cambridge Road is a plaque saying “These Gardens were opened on 21st June 1958 to honour Alderman A.J.G. Hollywood ex-Mayor of Edmonton”.
Wyerhall Nurseries. Market gardens on the land to the east of the road before housing developments.
Wyer-hall. An old house which took its name, from a family who owned property in Edmonton in the 14th. In the late 16thit belonged to Jasper Leeke, Esq. and it was later leased to the Huxley family. The site of the medieval house is not clear since nothing of that date was found on the site of the later house. A house was built by George Huxley in 1611 and this date was displayed in the house. Musket shot in the walls led to an idea that this originated from the Civil War .It was later used as a boarding house and demolished in 1818. The site became a market garden, and a wall and outbuildings survived into the 20th.
Tatem Recreation Ground. Tatem Park is on the site of Hedge Lane Gravel Pit owned by the Harman sisters who gave the site to Edmonton Borough Council in the 1930s for use as a public park. It was opened in 1938 on an informal area made out of the quarry. There is a plaque which says “This ground was opened by Councillor R.A. Young Chairmen of the Edmonton Urban District Council 1936-7 on the 5th May 1937 In memory of James George Tatem the last of the Huxley-Tatem’s of Weir Hall. Presented by his nieces Ellen & Margaret Harman
The Hermitage. The Hermitage seems to have been a house adjacent to Weir Hall. It too had a moat along one side.
Wier Hall. With moat and boat house 1914. House was built on the current site of the park. It was used as a nursing home and then a boys' school and was demolished in 1934. This house was surrounded by a moat, averaging 30ft. wide. The banks slope upwards towards the centre of the interior site, where the house stood. It is fed by Pymmes Brook.
Wier Hall park. Strange park with mounds and hollows. Are these the remains of the moats around Wier Hall and the Hermitage or spoil heaps? On maps during the period of the Great War there appears to be a complex of small buildings on the northern end of the site
Sterling Way Open Space. Impenetrable woodland
1 Mayfield Athletic Club. Founded in 1925 offering community sports facilities and a clubhouse which they bought in 1947.
Edmonton Mill stood on the south side of Pymme’s Brook behind what is now Millfield House. It is shown on the Rocque’s map of 1754. Remains of the mill were found in 1974 and a granite millstone is on display in the grounds
Millfield House, this is an unremarkable 18th country house linked at the back to later hospital buildings. It is two storeys in brick. It has a long cast iron verandah with a corrugated iron roof. There is a well in the cellar. It belonged to John Wigston of Trent Park in 1796 when it was let to the Imperial Ambassador of the German Empire. In 1801 it was owned by Daniel Beale and In 1828 Robert Mushet of the Royal Mint lived and died here, his widow continued to live there until the 1840s. In 1849 it was sold to the Guardians of the Poor of the Strand Union
Lodge. 19th single storey stock brick lodge. This is the survivor of two, one each side
Lodge on the eastern side of the entrance drive was replaced between 1867 and 1986 with a larger, double-fronted brick structure
Wall – an 18th brick wall ran along the northern boundary and was listed as a grade II monument. Demolished suddenly and not preserved despite listing,
Air raid shelters. Beneath an area of laurel shrubbery is one of the few remaining communal shelters in Enfield.
Gardens and St David's Play Area. The gardens of Millfield House have been cut down through the construction of the north circular. Together with farm yard, cottages and some hospital strictures
Millfield House School. In 1868-the Strand Union – made up of parishes around the Strand in central London - decided that they would build a new workhouse at Edmonton. In 1849 they decided to open a union school and acquired Millfield House about quarter of a mile to the west of the workhouse. Two infirmary blocks were added in 1878. The school building was behind the house probably designed by Finder and Lewis, of London. There is a foundation stone in in the wall of what is now the car park which says “Strand Union Schools. This stone was laid by George Wilkinson and Henry Mason Esq Chairman and Vice Chairman of the Board”. The mansion and its extension contained the schoolrooms while boys and girls separate dormitories were above. There was also isolation and probation buildings, superintendent's house, and porter's lodge- and also a swimming bath. The school took nearly 400 children and they were taught various skills in the hope of equipping them for adult life. The school closed in 1913 and the buildings were used for Belgian refugees. In 1915 the site was used by the Metropolitan Asylums Board as a ‘colony’ for up to epileptic men. It was taken over by the London County Council in 1930, and renamed St David's Hospital. It closed in 1971. The entrance buildings, main house and a few other blocks survive.
Millfield Arts Complex. The house was re-opened as an Arts Centre in 1979 and includes Millfield Theatre and for a long time there was also a library here. The space which the library once used has now been redeveloped as a cafe bar and performance space
Weir Hall Library was moved here when the Great Cambridge Roundabout was upgraded and was here until December 2008, it has now been relocated to Fore Street
Millfield Theatre. Built in 1988 by Enfield Borough Architect's Department. The theatre is a brick box with green-painted windows, and the café space once used by the library projects out towards the road. It is on the site of Millfield House’s kitchen garden and the garden’s brick wall surrounds the car park.
Gladys Aylward School. Silver Street School was designed by the Edmonton School Board architect, Henry Dobbs who copied the designs of the London County Council. Inside the school is a plaque commemorating the opening of the school in 1901. This is now part of the Aylward ‘Academy’.
North Circular Road section, upgraded in the 1990s
Tile Kiln Lane
Tile making site
Open space and community green
Edmonton Rangers Youth Football Club. Dates from 1988
Oakthorpe Primary School. Oakthorpe Infant School and Oakthorpe Junior School were originally opened as separate schools in 1937 by Middlesex County Council. They were amalgamated in 1997 to form a single primary. 1937. It was built as a formal composition of one-storey pavilions. The central building has a cupola
Cartridge Factory. This was set up by the Eley Brothers before 1865. Innovations here included smokeless powder, and in the 1890s 400 types of cartridges were produced. They moved to Angel Road in the early 20th
Globe Motor Works, here by 1914
Weir Hall Gardens
8 said to be a plaque here about the site of Wyer Hall.
Wilbury Primary School Built in 1951-3 by Middlesex County Council under Cecil Stillman. Wilbury Way School was significant for its informal style of windows and walls which attempted to put small children at their ease
Windmill RoadThe Windmill stood opposite the end of Henley Road and the site included a warehouse and chimney. The earliest reference to the existence of the mill was in 1720. From the 1820s it was run by members of the Robinson family. Members of the Parfrey family owned the leasehold and managed the mill from the 1840s and it was auctioned in 1872. The remains of the mill were demolished in the 1920s, and the granary in the 1940s.
Aylward School St. Aldhelm's National Infants' School built in 1883 it was superseded by Silver Street board school. Silver Street board school was later called Huxley primary school and it opened in 1901. Edmonton's education committee opened secondary departments at Silver Street in the late 1920s. Silver Street senior school changed its name in 1955 to Huxley County Secondary School and in 1967 closed when comprehensives cane in. In 1972 along with other secondary schools it was replaced by Aylward School, which included a new building in Silver Street the school is now an ‘academy’ and named for Gladys Aylward, the missionary to China who was brought up locally.
Edmonton Ambulance Station
SourcesPevsner and Cherry. London North
History of Middlesex
Enfield Society web site
1900s web site
History of Edmonton web site
History of Middlesex web site
Dalling. Southgate and Edmonton Past
Gladys Aylward School Wikipedia web site
London Borough of Enfield web site
The Workhouse web site
British Listed Buildings web site
London Gardens web site
Enfield Archaeological society web site
Millfield Arts Centre web site
Oakthorpe Primary School web site
Wilbury Way Primary School web site
LMA web site