Moselle River - Hornsey

Moselle River
Tributaries to the Moselle flow eastwards. St.James Brook is met by the Cranley/Etheldene stream from the south west which has itself converged in the area of The Chine. It later meets the stream from Queens Wood from the south east.

Post to the north Alexandra Park
Post to the west Muswell Hill
Post to the south Crouch End
Post to the east Hornsey

Alexandra Park
This square takes in the southern half of the palace
Race meeting entrance
Sea cadet site
Garden centre and ecological area opened in 1986. Commercially run
Tennis courts: there were once three in The Grove, six at The Avenue.
Old oak tree – boundary oak between old local authority areas still remaining and fenced off
Phoenix Bar. Pub in the room at the south western corner of the palace with panoramic views of North London. There is a palm court to the rear.

Baden Road
One of the first roads to be developed on the Warner estate, around 1900

Beechwood Avenue
Hornsey Borough Council pioneering council houses were built here in early 20th. John Farrer also designed many of the private houses, maisonettes and shops here.

Cascade Avenue
St.James Brook flows from a pond at the bottom of Alexandra Gardens, through the Rookfield Estate and crosses Cascade Avenue. There were two ponds in the bends between Cascade and Rookfield Avenues
Rookfield Garden Estate – housing in the surround area was built up in 1899 by Collins and his sons – who had Garden City ideas. The houses on the right were built by Herbert Collins in 1913. Most of the houses on the left are by William Brannan Collins
The Court - there was once a pond here which was part of the St.James Brook
8-10 The St.James Brook pond lay behind these.

Clovelley Road
One of the first roads to be developed on the Warner estate, around 1900

Cranley Gardens
The Imperial Property Investment Co.  Bought Upton Farm land from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners and built this area in 1890s
104 1928 a pot containing over 600 Roman Coins was unearthed here.
St.Mary with St.George. The church dates from 1959 built Randall Morris and replaced a bombed and demolished church in Priory Road. In 1981 it was amalgamated with St Mary, Hornsey High Street.  Some artifacts, including the font are here from the medieval church, via St George, Priory Road. 
Parish Rooms – until 1984. Inside is a monument from St Mary's Church, a floor slab to George Rey 1599 with two wives, and one kneeling son.  There are also some brasses.

Cranmore Way
William Collins built the Rookfield Garden Village Company in 1912 which included the demolition of the Collins family home, Rookfield House, on part of the site. 
Rookfield – St.James Brook formed an ornamental pond in the grounds
1-37 & 2-18 were built by W.B.Collins in 1914
14-16 cedar in the gardens from the grounds of Lalla Rookh
23-27 a ‘big house’ Lalla Rookh stood behind the site of these houses at the end of Etheldene Avenue. It was occupied for six months in 1817 by the poet Thomas Moore and named after a poem by him. Lalla Rookh was an Indian princess whose name meant "tulip cheek".

Danvers Road
This was the last road to be laid out on the Warner Estate, by 1905. Danvers was the name of a Warner family friend

Duke’s Avenue
Edwardian houses with features typical of the period.
Alexandra Palace railway line  - Beyond Muswell Hill, the route of the rail line curved slightly more eastward, at first in shallow cutting, and then on embankment. It passed above a minor road off Duke's Avenue on a brick bridge
Pedestrian entrance into the Alexandra Park, once giving access to the tram route gained a Civic Trust Award for its re-design
Letter Box Edward VII

Etheldene Avenue
The stream from Cranley Gardens runs along the south side of the road towards the St.James Brook.
St.James Brook met the Cranley/Etheldene stream in the grounds of Lalla Rookah here
Straight road with narrow fronted houses with casements and tile hanging.  Designed by Collins, the builder’s’ two architect sons.

Farrer Road
John Farrer much involved with building throughout Hornsey, and was responsible for developing the Priory Estate in the 1890s

Hawthorn Road
Hornsey Borough Council built pioneering council houses here in the early 20th. John Farrer also designed many of the private houses here.

Muswell Hill
Muswell Hill. The name means ‘mossy or boggy spring', with the addition of ‘hill’. The reference is to an ancient spring or well here on land bestowed on the Augustinian priory of St Mary at Clerkenwell by the Bishop of London in the 12th.  The area was known as "Clerkenwell Detached" until 1900 when it came under the control of Hornsey Urban District Council. The hill itself - rising to over 300 f - was earlier ‘Pinnesknol’ that is 'Finn's hill’. Muswell Hill was not. Part of London's built environment until the end of the 19th. But change transformation came quickly from 1896 when James Edmondson and Sons of Highbury bought a large estate, erected shops and began to buy up estates. This developer was soon joined by others, including the Collins family.
5 -7 Moravian Church House. 18th building to house the Moravian library of Peter Bohler. Wesley owed a great deal to the Moravians, and soon after his conversion he visited Herrnhut in Germany to meet Count Zinzendorf. The Moravian Archive includes a number of items relating to this period when the two movements were still closely related.
9 Early 19th building
Grove Lodge.  Rebuilt in 1854 by Cubitt.  William Henry Ashburt lived there and Mazzini stayed with him.  Converted for housing in 1995-6
17-33 William Jefferies Collins houses from 1904  
Victoria Stakes.  Pub in 19th house. It is named after a race run on the racetrack which used to be opposite at Alexandra Park.   

North View Road
Hornsey Borough Council built pioneering council houses here in the early 20th. John Farrer also designed many of the private houses here.

Park Avenue North
One of the first roads to be developed on the Warner estate around 1900

Park Avenue South
One of the first roads to be developed on the Warner estate around 1900

Park Road
The St. James Brook crosses the road
Dale Court – on the site of a lake which was part of the confluence of St. James Brook and the Cranley Gardens/Etheldene streams

Priory Avenue
One of the first roads to be developed on the Warner estate around 1900
Priory. The house itself was on the north side of Priory Road - roughly in the area of the Avenue. In 1898 it was sold and the land sold in lots. Four years later the house was demolished. Plans for the development of roads on the estate had already been drawn up by John Farrer.

Priory Road
The St.James Brook runs behind the parade of shops on the corner, this was once the grounds of Rose Cottage. It then ran down the south side of the road where it met the stream from Queens Wood and continued along the road
Low building used as a solicitor’s office. This was a 1930s built a public toilet on Priory Common, near where the cattle pound had been
Moravian Church.  Built 1907-8 by W.D. Church & Son
Palace Parade shops were designed by designed by John Farrer as part of the Warner Estate
169 The Priory Pub
Priory Park. Henry Reader Williams, the Chairman of the Hornsey Local Board proposed the purchase of the farm land adjoining Middle Lane in 1891, despite development proposals. Two fields were bought from Colonel Warner plus more from Mr. Linzee. This became a recreation ground but then in 1923/24 the Council bought "Lewcock's Field" and in 1926 it was renamed Priory Park.  In 1909 the Corporation of London presented the Borough with a fountain which came from St Paul’s Cathedral churchyard, It has a four foot high basin, with a carved City of London coat of arms.
Cottage for the gate-keeper for the Recreation Ground. It is at the entrance to Priory Park, with the inscription "H.L.B." for Hornsey Local Board on the gable.
Fire Station, corner of Park Avenue south. This was the Site of St.George’s Church 1906-7 by J. S. Alder, destroyed in World War II, bombed. The suite had been given by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners.

Redston road
Named for Redston Warner. Laid out 1902 by Farrar for the Warners

Rookfield Avenue
St.James Brook crossed the avenue
19-21 site of Avenue House. Demolished 1906 with its entrance drive running north onto Muswell Hill
1-43 built 1906-7 by Herbert Collins
2-8 built by William Brannan Collins in 1920.
Rookfield House stood behind the site of 8 and the surviving cedar tree once stood at the edge of its lawn.

Rookfield Close
Lake in the centre made up of water from the St. James brook. This was replaced by a bomb shelter
Plaque to William Collins. He established the Rookfield Garden Village Company in 1912 and laid it out in a garden village style. It was on 23 he had bought in 1899 when he moved into Rookfield House. The last 15 acres were developed by his architect sons. Herbert and William Brannan ("Billy"). Until 1969 the Rookfield Estate roads remained unadopted by the local authority and there were gates at the estate entrances to deter through traffic.

South View Road
Hornsey Borough Council pioneering council houses here in early 20th. John Farrer also designed many of the private houses, maisonettes and shops here.

Springfield Avenue
The Grove.  This 18th house in the 1770s was the home of Topham Beauclerk and visited by Dr Samuel Johnson and others. Beauclerk had his own resident astronomer. The house was demolished in the 1870s when the railway was built and the grounds added to Alexandra Park.

St James Lane
101 home of W.B.Tegetmeier 1816-1912. A naturalist and writer mentioned by Darwin who undertook on honeycomb in a "bee-house". In 1871 he organised the first international pigeon race.  
103 weather boarded, probably 18th
108-110 houses dating from the rural past.
112 Manor Farm Cottages 1903
76 Performing Arts Centre in what was Yeoman House office block

The Chine
The two streams from Cranley Gardens and Woodland Rise converge here. 
Most of the houses are by William Brannan Collins and date from the early 1920s.

The Grove
A part of Alexandra Palace Park made up of the grounds of The Grove house. Some oaks and yews remain from the 18th landscaping carried out when it was the summer home of Topham Beauclerk. It also included farmland to which was laid out with an avenue aligned on the now disused entrance but this area was sold for building after 1901.
Chalet for bands and teas 
Recreational buildings for children put up in the 1970s by the Greater London Council)
Dr Johnson's Walk. The trees lining this path. Were replanted in 1915 by German prisoners of war held in the park.
Bus route (W3) through the park, created when two tram routes, servicing each end of the Palace, were replaced in 1938 by a through bus service.

Warner Road
Named for the Warner family who developed some of this area
Wolverton flats. During the Second World War 1-7 were bombed and after the war council flats built here


Business cavalcade of London
Field. Place Names of London
Friends of Priory Park web site
Lambert. London Night & Day,
London Encyclopedia
Middlesex Churches
Moravian church web site
Muswell Hill Baptist Church web site
Nairn. Modern Buildings,
Pevsner and Cherry. London North
Pinching and Dell. Haringey’s Hidden Streams
Smyth, City Wildspace,
Stevenson. Middlesex
Walford. Highgate to the Lea,
Walk around Muswell hill,
Warner Estate Residents Association web site


Popular posts from this blog

Bromley by Bow

South Norwood

River Lea/Bow Creek Canning Town