Thames Tributaries – the River Wandle - The Wrythe
The Wandle continues to flow in a generally north westerly direction in two loops of which this is the westerly one.
Post to the north St.Helier
Post to the east Hackbridge
Post to the south Carshalton
Site of the rubbish destructor
Where the river divides
Culvers. The estate was between Beddington Corner and Hackbridge, used as a very large bleaching ground by the Reynolds after they bought it in 1781. They were Quakers and the house was later owned by the banker Samuel Gurney, who married one of the Reynolds. He bred black swans there until 1836. The crash of the Gurney bank in 1866 meant that the estate in the area was sold piecemeal. The house was used as Culvers colony for Spanish refugees in the 1930s.
Follows the line of the carriage drive to the house at Culvers. Built by the Reynolds family and called The Limes.
Culvers Mill. Site also called Carshalton Mill and later as Hackbridge Mill. The mill was built as a corn mill in the 1777 century and was taken over by Foster Reynolds, whose family ran it until 1824 and it later belonged to Gurney. .However it remained in use until 1902. The main mill was demolished in 1960 but the wheel pit remains plus some millstones.
Millstones in the grounds of flats at the junction of Millside.
Millstones in the grass
Dale Park Avenue
Victor Seymour Infant School
Depot now gone
Refuse destructor, now gone.
Green Wrythe Lane
Open space opposite 6-30
Playing Field on site of Laundry
Muschamp Primary School
1-3 Listed 19th houses
Carshalton College of Further Education. Originally Carshalton Technical Institute opened in 1954
Rushey Meadow Lane
Rushey Meadow Primary School
Wrythe is thought to derive either from ’rye’ grown there or from the Anglo Saxon word for a small stream.
Stream – a spring rose in the area near the BP garage. It is now in a culvert and flows to join the Wandle at Hackbridge.
Wrythe Green Road
1-2 listed 19th houses used as shops, 2 has unusual window structures
1-6 Bedford Villas
1-2 Ivy Cottages
1-2 Waterloo Place
Woodcote House.This might have been a toll house moved here. Diagonal weatherboarding and a semi-octagonal bay. built 1861-7.
Cricketers pub. Gone. Housing on the site.
1-5 Kings Parade
1-5 Waterloo cottages
Gas works site with some holders still in place and original wall
Wrythe Recreation Ground. Underground air raid shelter with some above ground structures. Drinking fountain.