Thames Tributaries – the River Wandle - the Bourne tributary - Whyteleafe South
The Bourne stream continues underground in a northerly direction towards the Wandle.
Post to the west Kenley Commone
Post to the east Bug Hill
This road from Whyteleafe station was built by the railway company as a carriage road for George Padbury, JP who was the owner of the estate and it led to now vanished Manor Cottage.
Caterham and Whyteleafe Tennis Club
Coney Bury Close
This is all that remains of a path which extended from Salmons Lane in the valley,
Court Bushes Road
It is thought possible that this was the alignment of the Roman road, rather than the Godstone Road
A22 this is the old Lewes Road - the ancient road into Sussex going to iron working sites and on to the coast. It was turnpike in 1718 and became established as the earliest route to Brighton and used by coaches. A bus service was established in 1812. In the 1930s it was turned into an arterial road. In 1967 the road from Wapses Lodge roundabout to Whyteleafe South station was made into a dual carriage way
Bourne stream - south of the roundabout the Bourne is in a concrete culvert on the east side of the road. This culvert becomes square as it to passes under buildings. Before the road was upgraded it ran in an open stream to Well Farm.Wapses Lodge roundabout. In 1939 it was said that this roundabout was the first of its kind in Britain. It has pedestrian subways under the six converging roads which meet in the open submerged centre. During the Second World War it was camouflaged with netting and fir trees were planted. Despite this allied airmen used it the roundabout as a navigational aid back to Kenley airfield. The subways were used as air-raid shelters. There is flooding here in heavy rain. before it was built there was a big pool here when the Bourne flooded.
439 Rank Organisation. offices on stilts. Lot of problems preventing it flooding.
475 Bourne House. Office block standing over the Bourne stream
Toll house on the west side of the roundabout. From the time when this was a coach road.
Coal Tax Post outside 376 Godstone Road, part of the inscription is illegible
Whyteleafe South Station. 1856. Between Whyteleafe and Caterham on Southern Trains. When Caterham railway was built the only station in what is now the village of Whyteleafe was called’ Warlingham’. The Caterham Railway Act had required a station to be built where the railway crossed the road on the level. 'Station House' of 1857, still remains although the station itself was rebuilt in 1862. Its front door is bricked up and has a piece of South Eastern Railway awning over it with a wooden seat under it. In 1956 its name changed to ‘Whyteleafe South’.
Haliloo Platform. This is said to have been a railway halt on the Caterham line which was replaced by Whyteleafe. Closed 1900. The site is not clear but this stretch of line is closed to the Halliloo Valley – but not close to Whyteleafe Station.
This is an ancient footpath including 200 steps.
This private housing estate seems to be named after a copper mining company village in Burra, New South Wales.
The name of the park refers to the Manor of Portley. A group of cottages here were part of the manor house – they became the golf course clubhouse but were removed during the Second World War. Now has an Old Surrey Downs sheep grazing Project.
Salmons Lane at one time continued across the Godstone Road and the railway – where there was a bridge. It was known as Coney Burrow. In the 1960s the bridge was removed and the path has since disappeared – apart from Coney Bury Close off West View
South View Road
White House. Naturist club founded in 1933.
Windmill Shaw. Windmill 1198-1325 and one of the earliest every recorded
Well Farm Road
Well Farm Heights housing estate. Affordable housing designed by Hawkins Brown. Built on a site previously used for offices.
Mountain Pool – there was once a local swimming pool on the Well Farm Heights site
Coal post on the north side 100 yards east of Godstone Road. Gone
The Warlingham Borehole a hole was bored 1956-8 for the British Geological Survey. It was 750 feet deep and one of the deepest then ever undertaken. It was in a field near the roundabout and it was to investigate a 'low gravity anomaly' in the vicinity, which might have indicated oil or coal, however nothing was found,