Post to the north River Crane, Fulwell
Alpha Road Gardens. A former allotment site now with shrubs, trees and a play area. It is possible that this was a bomb site resulting from destruction by a landmine in November 1940.
6 Currently a garage and MOT Centre, in the 1960s this was Electronic Ades making compact control equipment
Hampton Hill Spiritualist Church - "New Church" . In the late 1990s, the Church negotiated with a developer and the current church was built in 2000 on land to the rear of the Old Church. It opened in 2000.
Built on the site of gravel pits
Housing on area of a gravel pit. This includes units for disabled people leased to Richmond upon Thames Churches Housing Trust
This is on the line of an ancient track. The ditch it runs along beside the road used to mark the dividing line between Hounslow Heath and the Common – which is known as Hampton Hill.
Gibbet – this was said to stand at the end of the road.
Bushy Park Gardens
Oval estate of 1896 built around a garden which was originally a tennis court.
East Bank Road
The bank is that of the railway
81 this was Fulwell Evangelical Free church, built on the site of a gravel pit, possibly in the mid-1880s.it is now the Building Blocks Nursery
128 Epic House. Serviced offices, now closed
129 site of The Northcote Photo Works Ltd., which closed in 1971
This was previously called Teddington Lane
117 Care home. Laurel Dene, NHS Care Home. The original house, called The Laurels, was the family home of the Norton Motorcycle manufacturers’. It was the home of Downes Elland Norton who patented a gearig system in 1902. He died in 1934 the house was sold to Middlesex County Council in 1943 who converted it into a Care Home. Since then modern specialist housing has been built on the site. The showplace gardens remain,
72 Roebuck. Pub, inside includes transport-related memorabilia. The pub is in Teddington but adjacent to the border with Hampton Hill and probably dates from 1867. It was bombed in the Second World War.
80 This was the Jenny Lind Pub, built in 1839 and named after the singer.
York Laundry which later became the West End Cleaners.
90 Hampton Hill Theatre. Teddington Theatre Club was founded in 1927, it moved to its own premises, Hampton Hill Theatre, in 1998.
99 La Familia Restaurant. This was the Crown & Anchor which dated from before 1850 but was rebuilt in 1908 when the road was widened for double tram tracks. It was later renamed The Valiant Knight, then Joe’s Restaurant
110 Templeton Lodge. This dates from the 1820s with a battlemented pediment. Originally owed by John Templeton, “a finest tenor but the house was then known as Temple Lodge.
124 Central House, this has housed a number of industrial and other units. It appears to be on the site of a 19th Methodist Church.
161 West Products (Metals) Ltd set up an Investment Castings Plant here in the 1950s.
163 a variety of industrial firms were at this address from the 1930s. Walton Photographic in 1935. In 1939 Carmac Laboratories (1938), Ltd. making pharmaceuticals. In 1971 Surrey, Autelco and Startronic Move Surrey Printed Circuits Ltd. and Autelco Ltd. were there.
165 site of Hampton Press printing works. Up to 1835 this was the Post Office building and then part became a printing works owned by Edwin Makepeace. Later this was owned by. W. Austin, as Hampton Press” until the 1970s.
165-187 Clarence House. Private ‘preparatory’ school for girls aged 7-11 school. Opened 2016 on the site of a previous bank.
Kings Works. This was the X Factory Studios Ltd before 2013
Area of gravel pit
Twickenham Fire Station. Built in 1958 that was a Middlesex station enlarged in 1989. It replaced an older Twickenham station prior to GLC taking over Middlesex Fire Brigadge in 1965
St James Avenue
Hampton Hill Junior School. In 1928 a mixed senior school was opened on the site of the present school with entrances in Windmill Road and St. James’s Avenue. There was an air raid shelter and school allotment. It later became a primary school. The flat roofed parts of the school were added in the mid-1970’s to give a new staffroom, hall, kitchen and storage and in the 1980’s a library, computer suite, cookery room, music rooms, art centre and inclusion rooms. They are now federated with Carlisle Infant School when we federated in 2014.
St James's. This was built in 1864 by Wigginton to try and serve the riotous labourers working in the area and serve the scattered village on the hill above Hampton. The parish of St Mary’s gave some glebe land and a simple church, with a nave, a chancel and a small vestry room, was built and consecrated in 1863. By 1873 the population had grown and more space was needed. There were many alterations and extensions to celebrate Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee in 1887, the tower and spire were planned. In 2004-5 the west porch was rebuilt as a new parish office and small store room.
Church hall. This was opened in 1964. a new garage was built for the vicarage, and the old garage given to the Nursery School.
Twickenham Depot – Fulwell Garage. The bus depot is currently operated by Abellio London and London United. The site was originally part of the Freake Fulwell Park Estate and was purchased by London United Tramways for a new tram depot in 1902. The garage had an entrance at Stanley Road and Wellington Road with 20 tracks under cover. In 1931 early trolleybuses moved in, in 1933 In 1933 London United Tramways were taken over by LPTB and the last trams left in 1935. Fulwell became London Transport’s main trolleybus works.and was of the last depots to convert to motor buses in 1962. In 1986/87 it was rebuilt and split across its width with the sports ground between the garage and South Road. The northern half of the garage, together with the front yard at the Wellington Road end, and a small rear yard were used for bus operation and initially used for the sale of withdrawn buses. Now both halves of the garage are in use. The Stanley Road end is occupied by Abellio London as its Twickenham garage. The Wellington Road end is occupied by London United as its Fulwell garage and head office
Fulwell Station. This lines between Teddington and Shepperton Stations and opened on the Shepperton Line in 1864. It was named after the Deputy Chairman of the Thames Valley Railway Co, who lived nearby at Fulwell Park and named also for the farm which is was built on the site of. It is now operated by South West Trains. The station building is a yellow brick house with gables and round arched windows. It was originally called Fulwell and New Hampton but changed through a resident petition in the 1860s from Fulwell and Hampton Hill.
1 Duke of Wellington Pub. This is now housing. Closed 1989 but apparently in existence before 1816
St.Frances de Sales. Roman Catholic Church It was founded in 1920 and the original church was built in 1928. The new church was built in 1966 and consecrated on 1976. Designed by Buries, Newton & Partners as a Large brick rectangle with slit windows with coloured glass and Campanile. Church hall to the rear.
Fulwell Golf Course. This is built on the land of Blackmoor Farm and some of Slade Farm. Slade Lodge, built as the farmhouse in 1830 is now the course manager's house. The agricultural heritage of the site is still visible as drainage ditches and mature tree lines still reflect 19th century field boundaries. Recently non-native trees have been removed. The site became an estate built in 1871 by property developer, Charles James Freake, called Fulwell Park. In 1904 the club was set up local enthusiasts with a course designed by John Henry Taylor and professionals were employed. In the Second World War the inner area was used for growing wheat and the remaining course was opened to the public. After the war Middlesex County Council reinstated the whole course. In 1981 the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames bought the freehold from the Greater London Council and in 1983 they sold some of it to Squires Garden Centre who then leased it back to the Golf Club. In 1975 it became a 9-hole public golf course, known as Twickenham Golf Course. Part of the site was used by Thamesians Rugby Football club which was transferred to David Lloyd Leisure. The 'Amida' sports facility dates from 2002 and a swimming pool added in 2011
St.Michael and St.George built in 1913 and designed by JS Adkins. Its design stands between Gothic Revival and the Perpendicular manners in stock brick. Pulpit and lectern from St.Thomas Bethnal Green and there is a wooden reredos which is said to have come from Bavaria. It was closed for worship in 2000 and few records concerning the building of the church appear to survive. In late 2014 at the invitation of the Bishop of Kensington and with the support of local churches, a small group from St Peter's Fulham were asked to re-establish a church community here,
Wolsey House. This is on the corner with of Wolsey Road and is reputed to have been part of a farm owned by Cardinal Wolsey, and interior walls are thought to have been part of the original farm. Also maybe an underground passage from the basement to Hampton Court. Unlikely
12 Spiritualist church moved here between 1921 and 1928, and it became known as the Old Church. It had been a congregational chapel 1838 -1870, after later was a glove factory. It was formally registered as a spiritualist church in 1937 but had been used since the mid 1920s. The building and land were bought in 1957 by the church. In 2000 a new church was built at the rear.
School. A boy’s school was built here in 1867 called Windmill School and later the Hampton Hill Junior School. The Vicar of St. James’s made a grant of land in Mill Lane for this. The Girls ‘School was in School Road
Teacher’s houses. Built at the junction with School Road in 1886.
Caretaker’s house, adjacent to the school in Windmill Road was converted into a community centre in 2009 as the Children’s Centre for Hampton Hill. It was renamed after Norman Jackson VC, a former parent of the school.
Abellio. Web site
Field. London Place Names
Fulwell Golf Club . Web site
Hampton Society. Web site
Historic England. Web site
London Borough of Richmond. Web site
London Railway Record
Orton. The Birth and Growth of Hampton Hill’
Pevsner and Cherry. ‘South London
St James Church. Web site
Twickenham Fire Station. Web sit
Twickenham Local History Society. Web site
Twickenham Museum. Web site
Victoria History of the County of Middlesex
Walford. Village London