Post to the west Central Hammersmith
Post to the east Earls Court
Addison Bridge Place
This was originally called Portland Place
1 Now a shoe shop this was the Olympia Motor Mart in 1911.
3 there is a fire insurance plaque on the side of the house facing the road. It says ‘1790/1810’
4 Blue Plaque to Harold Laski, 1893-1950 'teacher and political philosopher, lived here 1926-1950'. He was a leading light in the Labour Party becoming Chairman of the party in 1945. W S Gilbert also lived there for a while. There is also an old metal bollard on the pavement outside
6 Blue Plaque to Samuel Taylor Coleridge. This was erected in 1950 by the London County Council and says it is to the ‘poet and philosopher 1772-1834’ who stayed there with the Morgan family.
9 Cast iron bollard, with bead decoration to head. This is on the pavement outside
Rowley Cottages. These are behind 6-9 and are in brick dated to about 1870.
Exhibition House. This is a new office building constructed over three interconnecting buildings. It is built on a site to the south east of the main street and at a lower level. The site previously contained about 100 garages known as ‘Exhibition garages’.
Cast iron lamp standard at the entrance, this has its original frog and lantern cage, but the lantern is missing.
Local authority housing built in the early 1970s on the site of the West Kensington Coal and Goods Depot
This was part of an exhibition area which was the idea of John Robinson Whitley who became involved with the idea for an 'American Exhibition' in London. He opened negotiations with the District Railway for use of a site in their ownership, including that in Fulham beyond the West London Extension Railway. He developed three sites here, including what became the main Exhibition centre. One site was between the Midland's sidings and North End Road and here he built pleasure gardens. These included a switchback railway, a toboggan slide, and the largest bandstand in London. The switchback railway and the bandstand are still shown on maps of the 1920s but by the early 1950s the entertainment has gone and it has become the west London coal and goods depot of the Midland Railway.
Buildings here were badly damaged by enemy action during the Second World War. In the air raids of 1944, many houses were completely wrecked and since rebuilt,
Pillar box. This has 'VR' embossed and was made by Andrew Handyside & Co Britannia Iron Works Derby & London
Gordon Cottage. 19th house used as the school keeper’s house.
24 Kingsley House. This has a date plaque for ‘1888’. It is now flats but the ground floor was a warehouse with a loading bay.
York House. That was an industrial building and has its original shop surround. After the Second World War this was a publishing house for the Poplar Press and others.
2a Leigh Court, this was built originally as J. Lyons office with flats above the offices around 1900. It has also been used as a publisher’s office.
16-18 Davidson Motor and Carriage Co., Ltd., This company was here in 1919 as part of the Davidson Aviation Co., Ltd. The aviation company works where their gyrocopter was made was at 231 Hammersmith Road (west of this square),
18 Independent Age. The organisation gives advice and support to the elderly. They were set up in 1863 as United Kingdom Beneficent Association
22 was designed by James MacLaren in 1888 as a studio and house for the society portrait sculptor H. R. Pinker. There are big studio doors and a separate entrance and porch for the house.
Avonmore Primary School. The school is in a single storey 1950s prefabricated building. It includes a nursery. There has been a school on this site since the late 19th.
20 This was a Post Office Sorting Office built in 1887. There are crown plaques by the entrance one says ‘VR’ the other ‘1887’.
51 GLC Blue Plaque for Edward Elgar, the composer, who lived here 1891-1893
Marcus Garvey Park. This is a small 20th park which has been carved out in crowded street from small gaps and disused areas. It is laid out in two adjacent areas. In one there is a circular lawn with shrubs around the edge and there is an area for under 5s play. The other is grass and shrubs along an old brick wall.
Baron’s Court Road
The Baron’s Court area was a development by the Palliser family in the late 19th. The name may relate to nearby Earl’s Court, or to the Court Baron held by the Lord of the Manor – or just be made up to attract wealthy residents.
20 Blue plaque to Mahatma Gandhi. This says ‘Mahatma Gandhi 1869-1948 lived here as a law student’ – Gandhi of course being the leader of Indian nationalism
Barons Court Garden Triangle. This behind the houses at the west end of the road on the south side. It is seen as deriving from ideas which were part of the garden city movement. The gardens are shared and managed by the 34 linked semi-detached houses surrounding it,
Kensington Hall Gardens. Built between 1897 and 1899. Kensington Hall itself had been built in 1834 by a Kensington Butcher Tom Slater. It became known as “Slater’s Folly” –and was occupied as a school and from 1875 leased by the Benevolent Society of St John of Jerusalem and later by a religious sisterhood as an orphanage and convalescent hospital. It was demolished in 1897 and Kensington Hall Gardens built. It was damaged by a V1 in 1944. In 1996 Kensington Hall Gardens Ltd. was formed by leaseholders to buy the freehold.
Lillie Bridge Depot. Permanent Way and traction maintenance depot for the District and Piccadilly Lines. The Metropolitan District Railway opened a depot here in 1872. It is scheduled to be de-commissioned by 2019 and parts are already demolished.
The road was badly damaged bombing in 1944.
2 Blue plaque. This says “This building was the headquarters of the Universal Negro Improvement Association from 1935-1940. The UNIA is an international Pan African movement founded by Marcus Mosiah Garvey in 1914”.
This new road runs between the railway lines and Warwic Road through the site of the old coal depot. It is full of colossal blocks of flats with views over the railway.
4a The Bhavan Centre. Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan. Thus was established in 1938 in Mumbai and operates in over a 100 centres in India. The UK Bhavan is the first and largest overseas branch. Its fundamental purpose is “to preserve for the posterity, the unsurpassed and indisputable beauty of Indian Culture, art and heritage”. The Congregational lecture hall fronting onto Challoner Street is also part of the Centre.
West Kensington Congregational church. Built by Cubitt 1882. The Church was founded in 1885 and in 1972, when the Congregational and Presbyterian Churches merged it joined the newly formed United Reformed Church.
28 Curtains Up Pub. His pub was built as the Admiral Palliser in 1878 and re-named the Barons Court Hotel. This is a Geronimo Pub – actually that’s a Youngs’ brand. It has the 60 seat Baron’s Court Theatre in the cellar.
Comeragh Mews. These are shown as Livery Stables on 19th maps. This is now housing. There is a large arch at each end of the mews.
Counter's Creek. Some of this stream still exists as Chelsea Creek and it originally flowed from Kensal Green to the Thames. The course of it can be followed now as the West London rail line which itself replaced the Kensington Canal. The original stream formed the boundary between the parishes of Kensington and Fulham and it became known as Counter's Creek, as 'Counter's Bridge' is the historic name for the crossing of the creek at Olympia. This name was first recorded in the 14th after the Countess of Oxford who held the manor of Kensington.
This curving road once went round to end in North End Road, but now provides an entrance to Marcus Garvey Park.
21 Cumberland Lodge. This was the caretaker’s lodge to Rugby Mansions built in 1898. It is a red brick cottage said to have a wooden dovecote on the wall.
Mary Boon School. This building stands on the corner with Bishop King’s Road. It is a three storey London School Board school. Built in 1875 by Robson and said to have on the Cumberland Crescent side plaques with ‘1899’, and ‘Boys’ and Girls’. In the 1950s this is shown as a “Secondary school and College of Commerce’ and described as a Secondary Technical School. At some point Mary Boon School moved to other premises in Shepherd’s Bush where it is said to have concentrated in dress making and domestic science. By the mid 1970s this Earsby Street building was in use for adult education classes. It would be interesting to know who Mary Boon herself was.
St James School. This is a private fee paying school set up in 1975. It consists of a girls and a junior school, with a boys' school in Ashford, Surrey. Based in an area with many embassies and departments of international agencies it has an international outlook. It is mainly in the site of the, London School Board built, Mary Boon School.
2 St. Mary’s Vicarage
The road dates from the 1850s and was originally Alma Road, before being renamed Fenelon Road in 1871. It originally was the site of ‘model cottages’ named after the philanthropic Earl of Shaftesbury. These were slum cleared in the 1950s and some of the road changed in road widening schemes. The road is now an alley way in a canyon between the Tesco car park and monolithic blocks of flats.
Laid out in 1897 on part of the grounds of North End House by o Henry Lovatt with blocks designed by Delissa Joseph.
North End Court. Flats here are on the site of North End House demolished in 1928 following a fire. It was designed by Joseph Architects. In the Second World War Gibraltar refugees were housed here.
North End House. This dated from 1791 and was in 7 acres of grounds including a lake. In 1840 it was remodelled into an informal park.
Gardens – on the site of the gardens of North End House. This modern garden was designed by Group Capt E T Haylock around two old trees. An old catalpa was cut down although it is regrowing from the stool and there is a path around it. A lawn, seats and a surrounding bed planted with roses and other shrubs.
Gibbs Green. The Green itself was on North End Road but it has given its name to the area. Gibbs Green Bridge crossed Counters Creek to join a road from Mascottes Bridge to Earl's Court to the west of North End Road. In the 16th it was ‘Gybbesgreen Lane’
Gibbs Green Estate. This was built in 1961
Gibbs Green Community Hall
James Lee Nursery School
Ealing Hammersmith and West London College. This is a further and higher education college with four campuses. The main campus is on the north side of the A4, between Hammersmith and Earls Court. Here the College offers full and part-time courses across a broad range of subjects but specialising in Health and Social Care. The college was built here on some of the playing fields of what had been St Paul’s School.
69 blue plaque to Rider Haggard 'novelist lived here 1885-1888'. Plaque erected 1977.
Gwendwr Gardens. This opened in 1949 after being given to Fulham Council by the Gunter Estate as a memorial to the residents from West Kensington who died in Second World War bombing. There is a plaque about its opening and a statue of Meditation
Crossing into Kensington near Olympia called Countess Bridge. The road is at least medieval and may be a Roman Road. Hammersmith Road has been an important route to London since early times. It began at Counter Bridge, now Addison Bridge. When the first toll road west out of London was designated in 1717 the Hammersmith Turnpike was built here at the junction of Hammersmith Road and North End Road.
Addison Bridge. Boundary stone 1860 for Kensington Parish
Kensington West London Station. A small station was planned in 1840 during the construction of the West London Railway. Originally it was to go by the Kensington Canal basin but it couldn't be seen from Hammersmith Road and so a station was opened on the north side of Hammersmith Road. It was not authorised by Robert Stephenson until 1843 and its sole platform opened in May 1844 and closed in December 1844. It was used again briefly in 1863 when the West London Railway opened fully but closed in 1864 when what is now Olympia Station opened.
1 the Hand and Flower Public House, was built in the 1880’s and is a Fullers House, and was previously Marstons. There is a sign on the east chimney stack inscribed ‘Hand and Flower’. It is said to have been started by a Mr. Hand who was friendly with flower girls. However it is also said that it was rebuilt in 1788 and was renamed then. It has also been called Harvey Wallbangers, Hammersmith Charivari and the Rose and Crown
38- 40 Bell and Anchor. This is said to have been on the site of turnpike gate. It was a Truman’s House but has now been demolished. The site is now part of the Olympia lorry park.
Royal Vineyard Nursery. In the mid 19th this covered a major part of the north side of Hammersmith Road. It covered at least the sites of Olympia and most of Cadby Hall. It was the nursery of Messrs. Lee, of Hammersmith and survived until the early part of the 20th. James Lee was a Scot who has been employed at Syon House and then at Whitton. He opened the Vineyard around 1760 – and grew grapes for wine As well as a Horticultural Nursery for which they collected plants world wide. In particular they specialised in fuchsias. Lee had a wide knowledge of plants and Along with Carl Von Linne, wrote An Introduction to Botany, in 1760. At his death the nursery was carried under James Lee, John and Charles Lee, then William Lee and ended in the early 20th,
Olympia. The bulk of the Olympia building lies in the square to the north but the entrance and a huge wall of buildings lie along Hammersmith road. The main buildings date from the late 19th but the frontage on Hammersmith Road dates from 1929. It was originally called the Empire Hall and is now Olympia Central. It is in an art deco style faced with concrete and completed and introduced the German modernist style into London. Olympia' is written in relief at the top. The original decorative horizontal fixing bars for electric exhibition advertisements are still there.
Offices. These faceless mirror glazed offices are by Scott, Brownrigg & Turner; and replace Lyons' vast offices and factories,
Cadby Hall. This was Joe Lyons office and factory complex and the headquarters of this pioneering catering company for nearly 100 years. Lyons was the largest catering establishment in the world and the first business to ever use a computer system. Lyons took over Cadby Hall in 1889 and it grew to cover over 13 acres spreading along Hammersmith Road. They bought the St Mary’s College campus in 1922 (in the square to the north). The original piano factory became a bakery and many new blocks were added with 30,000 staff and had the first ever business computer, the LEO. By the late 1970s, Lyons & Co. began to decline and was taken over by Allied Breweries. The Cadby Hall complex was scaled down and demolished in 1983.
Cadby Piano Factory. Cadby Hall originated with Charles Cadby, piano manufacturer, who bought the land here in 1874. It had previously been the Croften Estate. The building was designed by Lewis Isaacs with carved portraits of famous composers and reliefs of scenes of music and poetry. After Cadby's death in 1884 the factory was sold and taken over by Kensington Co-operative Stores and Schweppes Mineral Waters.
Omnibus depot. This was present in the 1890s on the north side of the road
122 The Albion. Pub built in 1864 and current building dates from 1923
St Mary's church. Originated in 1814 as a chapel of ease funded by a Mr, Hunt who lived locally and it was the church for the growing village of North End. Became the parish church in 1835. It was still then a propriety chapel. Later a church school was established here. The church was extended in the 1880s as the local population grew. The church was destroyed by a V1 in 1944. A new church was begun in 1960. The new church is smaller but some artefacts from the old church were saved and are still used,
Burial Ground. This was declared full in 1881. Some gravestones remain round the walls of the grounds.
This canal was opened in 1828 to run from the Thames in Chelsea along the line of Counter's Creek, to a basin near Warwick Road. It was not commercially successful, and was bought up by a railway company, which then laid a line along its route on the Fulham side. A second railway line followed.
Kensington Village. This is reached via Avonmore Road. This is a gated housing estate built in structures of the 1880s. When the area was built up in the 1880s the developers Gibbs and Flew went bankrupt and sold surplus land to Whiteley’s. The complex includes warehouses, laundry blocks and stables built in 1895 by Kirk and Randall of Woolwich. The landmark building could e seen from West Cromwell Road and was by Alfred M Ridge. The Warwick Building was used as a depository for furnishings to go to colonial residents. On the railway side is The ‘New Pantechnicon’, was begun in 1892 by William Shepherd of Bermondsey. Avon House, which was the central section of the main building, has been rebuilt as a steel frame curtain walled unit with a dummy central clock tower.
This was once called Little Ebenezer Place built in 1853
Samuel Lewis Housing Trust Estate. This large estate was built in 1928 by the Trust and is now part of the Southern Housing Group.
Whiteley's Cottages. This is a short terrace of workers cottages in brick with stables projecting on the ground floor. Access to the living areas is by a staircase from the road leading to a first floor walkway with metal railings. They were built in 1892 and face onto Cromwell Road.
This once led to the West London Railway Coal Depot, and before that to the westernmost exhibition area. The switchback railway lay immediately at the end of the road.
The Pavilion. Glasshouse which has been used as an estate office and also by the Citizens Advice organisation.
Wedgewood School. This was on the north side of the road in 1981 and listed as an ‘ESN school”
Gibbs Green School. Listed as a co-educational for children with special needs. It closed in 2009
Queensmill School. This school for autistic children used the Mund Street school buildings on a temporary basis and later moved to their permanent site.
Fulham Boys School. This is a ‘Free’ Secondary Boys School founded by local parents and teachers it opened in 2014. It will be at its full capacity in 2020. It was founded with a Christian ethic and a ‘business’ background. It is intended to move the school to another site in 2018 but in the meantime a lot of money has been spent to make it suitable for a boys' school of this type.
14-24 Platarg Engineering. This company had been established here in 1939 by a Czech and specialised in refining platinum and silver. They moved to Brentwood 1966
14 Bendix washing machines. This appears to have been a depot for the company from 1966
Rising Sun Pub. Closed before the Great War. There are now flats on the site.
North End Crescent
The crescent is a stretch of what was North End Road. The road itself was straightened marooning this stretch.
3 Nell's Jazz and Blues. This appears to be part of the Sainsbury premises and the front door is actually in North End Road. It was previously BV – and it appears there have been a series of clubs here when the supermarket was the Cedars Hotel.
7 Barons Court Library. This became the Citizens Advice Bureau. There is also an advice centre for London Irish Care
North End Road
North End, This was originally a hamlet in the parish of Fulham. By the mid-19th it was one of the largest local settlements with multi-storeyed houses with basement quarters for servants.
15 this was St. Mary’s Protestant Mission and is now offices. It dates from 1895 designed by T. Woodbridge Briggs. There is a marble plaque to Miss Ann Louisa Davis dated 1895 on the front
29 Cumberland Arms. 19th pub dating from at least the 1860s and standing on the corner of Cumberland Crescent. Now a ‘gastropub’.
North End House. The grounds of this house fronted onto the road and are now the site of the North End Estate. It was once owned by James Wild who was a collector of curiosities and a nonconformist. He founded Ebenezer Chapel in 1842
Mornington Lodge. This was built about 1834 by Squire Jones. It was the home of various people including the local developer William Gibbs in 1878. The council demolished Mornington Lodge and replaced it with flats.
Marcus Garvey Park. This was created from a car park and redundant roadways. It contains brick walkways, seating areas and planting and acts as an informal play and recreation area. It is laid out in two adjacent areas. In the larger area there is a circular lawn with shrubs around the edge of the space and there is an area for under 5s play. The spaces are marked out by low palisades of white logs. The smaller area is grass with shrubs along an old brick wall that separates blocks of flats from the park.
37 Live and Let Live. The Greene King Pub was at one time called The Pickled Newt. It pub closed in 2016.
39 scrolled metal gas lamp bracket attached to the first floor elevation,
41A this was an Ebenezer Chapel built in the 1840’s in brick. There is a foundation stone dated 1842 in the wall at the side.
43-5 this was built as West London County Court by H. N. Hanks in 1907-8. In the central bay is a crest with a lion and unicorn, and the rainwater hopper heads are inscribed ‘E VII R’. It is now flats.
The Grange. This is on the site of the Lytton Estate. It was a semi detached mansion built in 1715. Samuel Richardson the novelist lived there 1739 - 1754, publishing Pamela. Edward Burne-Jones also lived at the Grange from 1867- 1898. He produced many important works in studios there. After his death the house became derelict and the gardens were used as allotments in the Second World War. It was demolished in 1958 and the Lytton Estate built. A block of flats nearby is named after Burne Jones.
47 Otto House Asylum. This appears to have been used as a private mental hospital in the late 19th and early 20th.
60 Cedars Hotel (or 3 North End Crescent), this is now a supermarket. It closed in 2011 at which time it was known as the Crescent Champagne Bar. It was built on the site of an earlier pub, the Anchor in Hope when the Cedars Estate was developed in the 1880s. It has been described as “the culmination of alternative High Victorian fashion of the 1880s”. The frontage area onto North End Road was added when the road was straightened. It had also been called the Fox, the Rat and Carrot and the Fox Rattle and Hum. A wing added in the 1960s included a club called West One Four, the Orange or the Bird's Nest – and presumably it is this that is now Nell’s Jazz and Blues.
148 The Clarence Pub
160 North End Road Medical Centre. NHS facility.
171 The Famous Three Kings. This pub dates from the 17th but was rebuilt in 1908. This is now a ‘sports pub’, but it was more famous in the late 1970s as the Nashville Rooms, a venue for punk rock and new wave bands. Inside it is a labyrinth of doors
Railway Bridge over the District Line. There is what appears to be the base of a lamp standard at a half way point.
West Kensington Station. This opened in 1874 it lies between Earls Court and Baron’s Court on the District Line and was originally called ‘North End (Fulham)’ Metropolitan District Railway. The name was changed to West Kensington at the request of the developers of the area. In 1927 the entrance building was rebuilt by using similar materials and finishes to those used for the Morden line to a Holden design,
180 The Old Oak. 1870s pub rebuilt in the 1930s.
235-237 The Super Cinema opened in 1922. Initially an independent it was taken over by Denman/Gaumont British Theatres in 1928. It was bombed in 1942 and never re-opened. The building became a warehouse for several years and was demolished in the 1950’s. The site is now part of the flats on the Council’s West Kensington Housing Estate.
West Kensington Estate. Terraces and towers begun in 1970 by Gleeson Industrialised Building Ltd the borough's first Design and Build project, the towers brick clad in response to the Ronan Point disaster,
Palliser – Sir William Pallister was the inventor of armour piercing projectiles called Palliser shot.
Barons Court station. This opened in 1905 and lies between Earls Court and Hammersmith on the Piccadilly and District Lines. The tracks through Barons Court were first opened in 9 1874 when the District Railway opened an extension from Earl's Court to Hammersmith. As time went on the area was developed for housing and in 1905, the District Railway opened the station and in preparation for the opening of what was then still called the Great Northern, Piccadilly and Brompton Railway. This opened in 1906 and became the Piccadilly Line. The station building was designed by Harry Ford and retains many of original features, including a lot of terracotta and Art Nouveau lettering. There are wooden benches on the platform with the station name along the back on enamelled metal panels. The station has two island platforms to provide an interchange between the two lines - the inner tracks are used by the Piccadilly line and the outer tracks by the District line. There is no apparent reason why it is called Baron’s Court - is it an allusion to Earl's Court?
Queen's Club. A private sports club dating from 1887 with facilities which originally included covered tennis courts, billiard rooms, and an ice rink. Many original buildings remain designed William Marshall. It is the national headquarters for real tennis and rackets. It was established in 1886 and was tithe first multipurpose sports complex ever to be built, anywhere in the world. It was named after Queen Victoria. Many famous sporting events have originated here and as they outgrew the Club's facilities, they were transferred to new homes at Twickenham, Wembley and White City.
84 Kensington Arms. This pub was on the corner with Warwick Road. Now closed and turned into offices.
The road passes under a bridge which links the “gardens in the two halves of the Warwick Road Estate’.
Erards, the piano manufacturers., they were on the south side of the road.
Railway lines proliferate in this square
The District and Piccadilly lines run east/west with stations at West Kensington and Baron’s Court
The Overground, aka the West London Extension Railway, runs north/south on the line of what was Counters Creek and the Kensington Canal. The Birmingham, Bristol & Thames Junction Railway was authorised in 1836 to buy the Kensington Canal and to build a railway northward across the proposed route of the Great Western to Bristol creating a through route for freight traffic from Bristol and Birmingham to the Thames, The engineer was Sir William Hosking and the company was soon short of money. A 2.5 mile single line opened in 1844, with passenger services between Willesden and Kensington. The first train had one passenger. And the line closed after less than six months. From the line was only used to carry coal and soon after the canal was filled in. In 1859 it was decided to build the West London Extension Joint Railway which was formed by Act of Parliament. A double track line between Willesden and Clapham Junction opened in 1863 and did very well. Connections were set up to nearby lines and depots and in the early 20th the line was electrified. In the 20th passenger numbers bean to decline and services were closed during the Second World War. But it remained an important freight link. After the war only some services were laid on for events at Olympia, but were not a success. Freight continued to e busy and here were also specials and excursions using this north/south link. In 1966 the Motorail terminal opened at Kensington and continued until 1988 .In 1986 a full passenger service was begun by the District Line and new services ipoend. New stations were planned and opened. . Now Local trains run every half hour operated by London Overground. Hourly trains run between East Croydon and Milton Keynes. There were twice daily services from Brighton to Birmingham New Street via Reading until 2008. There is considerable freight traffic and Eurostar trains used it between Waterloo International and the depot at North Pole
Post war flats on some industrial sites.
George Goldby. Omnibus & Carriage Works. Goldby seems to have been a coach painter from Faringdon in Berkshire who came to London and opened this works. He seems to have been bankrupt in 1891
8-10, Church Army Social Depot, This was the Fulham Church Army Hostel for homeless men and was open in the 1890s and remained post Second World War.
This is part of the A4, Great West Road historically going from London to Bath. This section is a dual carriageway and was upgraded to become the main route to Heathrow in the 1960s. Some of this stretch was previously Colet Gardens.
135-141 St. Paul's Studios built in 1891 by Frederick Wheeler designed for 'bachelor artists', each with a large arched studio window on the first floor, and housekeeper's apartment in the basement.
151 Colet House. This was built in 1885 by Fairfax B Wade-Palmer for Sir Coutts Lindsay, founder of the Grosvenor Gallery. It was bought by Study Society in 1957. The Society is dedicated to continuing the work of P.D.Ouspensky teacher of the Fourth Way. It was built on market gardens in what was then Red Cow Lane, later named Colet Gardens – which became Talgarth Road in the 1960s. Colet House has the largest single studio in London, long enough to hold a cricket pitch and two other substantial studios and has been a workplace of many artists. In the 1930s Colet ballet teacher Nicolai Legat, an emigre from St Petersburg established a school here, attracting dancers from all over the world. Before the Second World War Ouspensky lived here and during the war it was occupied by Naval Intelligence. Later it became home to the Royal Ballet School, with Ninette de Valois and with Margot Fonteyn.
West London Police Court. This court was originally in Kensington from 1841. It moved to Brook Green Lane in 1843 and in 1859 moved to Vernon Street. From 1889 it was known as the West London Police Court. In 1996 it closed and was moved to Talgarth Road. There is now a modern house on the site.
New Apostolic Church. The movement the church represents began in 1863 and the Hamburg schism and there have been other changes since. This was built as St. Barnabas's Church House in the 1880s and is shown as an infant school on some maps in the 1920s
Name refers to the Earls of Warwick who owned Holland House dates from 1847 and extended to Old Brompton Road 1870. The road was developed with small working class houses in the 1870s. These were slum cleared in the 1950s by the London County Council.
Warwick Road Estate. Local authority flats on the east side of the road, in two halves divided by Pembroke Road. They were built on top of the Council’ rubbish depot in 1975 and designed by Arup Associates. There are plans to demolish them
Kensington Council Central depot. This was built in 1972–5 with a frontage of over 550 feet to Warwick Road divided by the roadway of Pembroke Road. The Kensington Vestry purchased the site in 1863 from Williams the local developers. In 1877 they added some of the piano factory opposite for stables. They bought the freehold in 1904. The whole depot was renbuilt in 1917 to designs by Arup and built by Mowlem. It is in reinforced concrete with a vast transport workshop with a roof supported by a central column and sixteen radiating beams. It is on this roof that the garden square is resting.
Empress Telephone Exchange. The Post Office installed the world's first PCM (Pulse Code Modulation) exchange at the Empress telephone exchange. It was built to the designs of G. R. Yeats of the Ministry of Public Buildings and Works. This was opened by Postmaster-General John Stonehouse in 1968. It was demolished in 2014. A decorative mosaic on the exterior of the building had already been removed. It has now been replaced with flats.
245 Warwick House - TA Centre. This was a three-storey block of flats built in 1952 as married soldiers' quarters for the territorial army centre .This site was sold to the Russian Government for never-built diplomatic housing. It has since been demolished for more flats
Kensington Primary ‘Academy’. New school set up by Squires developers as part of the new estates on the west side of the road.
Canal Basin. This was a rectangular structure, the southern end roughly parallel to Pembroke Road, on the other side of Warwick Road. It was filled in and its site and that to the north became a railway goods and coal depot. This stretched almost to Kensington High Street to the north and Warwick Road to the west. By the 1860s there was a row of coal drops almost adjacent to Warwick Road. Within ten years there was a huge complex of sidings and the name ‘Earls Court Junction’ with its own signal box. From the 1950s this was gradually cut back.
247 Radnor Arms. Pub built in 1862, probably to the designs of Josiah Houle,
West Cromwell road
Extension and bridge over the West London Railway built following great local opposition. The Bill was promoted by the London County Council & Middlesex County Council in 1936 and bridge finished by 1941 connecting Cromwell and Talgarth Roads. The resulting Viaduct was bombed in 1940
West Kensington Estate
This 19th estate was undertaken by two Dorset builders – William Henry Gibbs and John P Flew – following the opening of North End Station. They laid out what they called the West Kensington estate on land that had belonged to the confec¬tioner James Gunter.
AIM. Web site
Barons Court Garden Triangle. Web site
Bhavan Centre. Web site
Blue Plaque Guide
British History Online. Survey of London Vo. 42. Web site
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Clunn. The Face of London
Cumberland Arms. Web site
Day. London Underground
Disused Stations. Web site
Fulham & Hammersmith Historical Society, Buildings to see in Fulham and Hammersmith
Goldby family history. Web site
Ealing Hammersmith and West London College. Web site/.
Hand and Flower. Web site
Historic England. Web site
History of the Grange. Web site
Kensington Hall Gardens. Web site
London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham. Web site
London Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. Web site.
London Metropolitan Archive. Web site
London Pubology. Web site
Lost Pubs Project. Web site
Lyons. Web site
Number One London. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. North West London
Pub History. Web site
SABRE. Web site
St. James School. Web site
Study Society.. Web site
Summerson. Georgian London
Symonds. Behind the Blue Plaques of London
Thames Basin Archaeology of Industry Group. A Survey of Industrial Monuments of Greater London
University of Bath. Web site
Waymarking. Web site