North London Railway - Mildmay
The North London Railway turns to the west, via the western curve, and is also joined by the original line of the railway from the east. It then proceeds westwards
Post to the south Balls Pond Road
Post to the west Newington Green
This post covers only the south west corner of the square
30 Church Of God World Fellowship. This was formerly The Welsh Congregational Chapel, Gohebydd Memorial chapel founded in to 1846 and followed by an iron chapel here in 1873. A stone chapel was built in 1884. It was disrupted by war and services ended 1946
Neighbourhood Centres. Borough Council offices. Islington’s four local centres to house decentralized day-to-day services n 1982. They new built or converted from existing buildings by Chris Purslow, Borough Architect and looked cheap but approachable. It is mostly open-plan offices, with central gallery and tiny interview rooms and a waiting area opening onto a garden segment. This has now gone.
Mayville Estate built by the London County Council Included Campion House, Southwell House, and Meredith House between 1948 and 1952
148 Arundel Arms public house for Truman Hanbury and Buxton. . The sign has a portrait of Thomas Howard 21st Earl of Arundel (1585-1646). Closed 2006 and demolished 2013
68 Cholmeley Boys Club. This is a 19th mission building designed by Herbert O Ellis in 1898 for St Mark’s Church. The parish of St Mark’s had close links with Highgate School, founded by Sir Roger Cholmeley in 1565. The school set up a mission in what was seen as a deprived area of London. The elevation on Boleyn Road is in red brick with a first floor bay window and cast iron rainwater pipes. There is a plaque which says THIS STONE WAS LAID BY LT COL THE RT HON HORATIO D DAVIES MP. LORD MAYOR OF LONDON ON THE 5TH DAY OF NOVEMBER 1898. REVD A B SANDERS MA VICAR OF ST MARK’S, DALSTON. W NORETON? PHILLIPS. THOMAS J RUSSELL, CHURCHWARDENS. HOLLIDAY AND GREENWOOD CONTRCTORS. HERBERT O ELLIS ARCHITECT. The building was originally used as a Sunday School, mission hall, working men’s club and soup kitchen.
190 The Woodman. Now flats.
3 Bradbury Street Workspace. Small workspaces and jazz bar in what was the Youth Enterprise Centre. Designed in 1997 by Hawkins Brown as a youth a training centre in a white rotunda at the end of a rehabilitated terrace.
Once called Cock and Castle Lane
Hammam. Turkish Bath
In 1993 Hackney Cooperative Development commissioned Collective Building Design to produce sketches for a town square in Gillett Street and then in 1997 work was done on a Dalston Town Centre area feasibility study by Stock Woolstencroft. This led, in 1998, Hackney Council’s designation of the Gillett Street car park as the future town square for Dalston. In 1999 ten market pod kiosks were built along the south side of the car park and also a project to redevelop a factory at 11 Gillett Street to create Dalston Culture House. Macdonald Egan, had recently bought derelict a furniture factory Stamford Works and eventually in 2001 the Gillett Square Partnership was formed and outline plans developed
11 Dalston Culture Centre. New home for the Vortex Jazz Club.
Stamford Works. Workplace units and housing.
King Henrys Street
Mayville Estate built by the London County Council Included Webster House built between 1947 and 1952.
Conrad House. Twelve storey London County Council block, 1960s
King Henrys Walk
57 Shop which was once a bake house with an oven in the basement. It opened in 1863 when it was 6 St Jude’s Place. The baker in 1867 was a German, Adam Hexamer. Later it was called King Henry’s Bakery and owned by Simon Mill also a German. In 1907 the baker was John Jacobi. It was a bakery until 1944. And then between 1951-82 a builders and printers
Mildmay Lodge. Three houses built b1855 by Alexander Dick Gough of Kentish rag stone in random rubble. The lodge is at the front and the rear buildings were used as a school. It has been speculated that the front onto this road was the master’s house
This was once called Coach and Horses Lane
1-3 The Army and Navy. A 1930s pub by A E Newell for Trumans. It has a wedge-shaped exterior in brick and stone. On the corner is a stone panel with the pub name and the Truman eagle. On the parapets right and left is lettering: 'TRUMAN'. Iside is panelling with lettering in gold advertising Truman's range of beers; plus TRUMAN'S lettering in a mirror.
Anvil House. This is now Travis Perkins. Huge building with an Anvil above the fascia. This was Smith & Sons. Builders merchants
48 The Lawns, housing managed by Hanover HA for older people. Flats built 1975
69 New Coach and Horses pub closed and converted to flats. Plaque saying ‘Reid and Company Entire’. The previous pub was here from at least 1720
Mayville Estate. London County Council flats with streamlined balconies. They include Patmore House and Congreve Houses built in 1949 and Bronte House built in 1953, Skelton House 1954,. Gay, Waller and Sewell Houses built 1956. All these houses are named after writers,
Hewling Estate. Plain five storey blocks. Built 1938 by Howes & Jackman, for Stoke Newington Council, between Matthias and Howard Roads. It is made up of Hewling and Matthias Houses. A third block was destroyed by a Second World War bomb
Matthias Road Board School. Opened in 1884 by the London School Board and partly destroyed in Second World War bombing.
Newington Green Primary School. Building opened in 1951 with juniors and infants separate.
89-105 This was Keppel Row, since demolished. It included 103 Henry Keat, makers of hunting horns.
Factory Children’s Centre. The Factory Community Project was an idea of 1973 from Islington Voluntary Action Council and architect, Simon Kaplinsky. In 1973 the building was derelict having been a piano factory, an ink factory, a mail order warehouse and as an air raid/fire wardens lookout in two world wars. The playground site was a print works and the nursery site to the rear was a garage for spray painting. In 1975 Islington Council, with Home Office approval, converted it to the Factory Community Centre. The Childrens Cenre is part of it.
Mildmay Grove North
St.Jude’s Church. This is an Anglican church designed in 1855 by Alexander Dick Gough, and enlarged in the 1880s by Edwin Clare. It is in Kentish ragstone and random rubble. There is a tower of four stages with carved figures at the corners and a broach spire. The church was known for missionary work and for supporting missions. The vicar 1864 -1873 was William Pennefather, a well known churchman and mission preacher; he and his wife Catherine also wrote hymns
86 Woodville Arms. Now housing
Queen Margaret’s Grove
National School in the buildings at the rear of Mildmay Lodge and connected to St.Jude’s Church
2 Railway Tavern. This was once called Old Henry’s.
St. Jude's Street Garden. Playground and shrubs replacing housing which backed onto the railway
Lydgate House and Emerson House built in 1953 and part of the Mayville Estate
St Matthias. Huge church which was the spearhead of the High Church campaign in Hackney and Stoke Newington, led by Robert Brett, and funded by Richard Foster. It was designed by William Butterfield in 1849-53. It has a towering front with a steep saddleback roof for a tall tower and is built of plain brick . It was damaged by bombing in the Second World War and the 19th fittings were destroyed. Post-war repairs, completed in 1954, replaced the roof in plain timber .
St Matthais Church of England Primary School. Opened in 1849.
British History Online. Web site
Clarke. Hackney and Stoke Newington
Clunn. The Face of London
Factory Centre. Web site
Field. London Place Names
Hammam Web site
London Borough of Hackney. Web site
London Borough of Islington. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. London North
Robinson. Lost Hackney
Willatts. Streets of Islington