Railway from London Bridge to Gravesend = North Charlton
The railway continues north eastwards
Post to the west East Greenwich - North Charlton
Post to the east West Woolwich
Post to the north Silvertown and Charlton Riverside
Anchor and Hope Lane
British Ropes. The works was set up in 1912 as the Charlton Ropeworks Ltd. in association with Frost Bros. of Poplar. They were on the east side of the road with access to a riverside wharf. The ropewalk was designed by J.J.Frost was 300' by 100' on the twisted steel bar principle, but it was commandeered as an Ordnance Depot in the Great War. In 1924 with Frosts they became the British Ropes Group. The ropewalk was rebuilt in the 1920 with rails along the 145 fathoms from the factory to the river. 1927 wire rope works. They took over other companies and production from Commercial Road and Falmouth as well as a southern England sales office. They developed wire rope production and in the Second World War made, among much else, the cables for the Mulberry Harbours. After the War they handled cordage made from synthetics and also a speciality in plaited ropes. A new braiding department was opened in 1967. The company name changed to Bridon in 1973. Giant machines were developed for synthetic rope manufacture and in 1980 they stopped using natural fibres. In 1978 they began to make TAP the largest and strongest manmade fibre rope in the world. The works closed after 1995 but Bridon itself continues as a multi-national with factories worldwide. Considerable remains of the rope works remain on what is now a trading estate. Many buildings remain on site as do rails and other features – the Bridon Ropes Football Team being a major local club.
VIP Industrial Site. Light industrial units on the site of some of the Bridon factory
Ropery Business Park. Light industrial units on the site of some of the Bridon factory
Charlton Gate Business Park. Light industrial units on the site of some of the Bridon factory
Sofnal Water Softeners and Purification Materials. This was for use in steam raising plant and they also made fertilisers and limes. Turfsoil also laid out aerodromes and sports fields. They took over a transport depot in the Great War to make water softening materials here. They also made chemicals for use in gardens and allotments. In the Second World War they made chemicals for gas masks and also vast amounts of turf for use in airdromes. Following bombing they moved into the adjacent unit and set up a company called Turfsoil. In the 1970s the company moved out of London
Moravia Anti-Fouling works. This was set up in 1905 by Austrian, Veneziani Gioachino making an anti corrosive for ships hulls. The works was renamed in 1914. In the Second World War following bombing the company moved to Kingston. The premises were taken over by Signal. The works was connected to author Svevo to whom there is a plaque in Charlton Church Lane.
UG closures and Plastics Ld. Kork and Seal. This was on part of the United Glass site making bottle closers. Closed 1976.
Manchester’s Transport Depot. In 1912 Alfred Manchester leased a yard previously used by Lee District Board of Works as a maintenance depot for steam wagons. After the Great War they bought ex-ammunition lorries and ran haulage contracts for local firms. In the 1930s these were gradually replaced and after the Second World War expanded to a new and larger fleet. At the Charlton depot a new oil tank, offices and repair shops were installed. The company was restructured in the early 1970s but distribution networks were changing and the company went out of business in 1981.
Housing built by Cory’s for their workers on land bought from Roupell estates. Designed by local architect Dinwiddy in 1913 and named after Cory's hulk of 1860 'Atlas'. Ocean Trading sold the freeholds to the London Borough of Greenwich in 1979.
Housing built in the late 1970s by the Greater London Council – said to be their last estate.
Charlton Church Lane
Charlton Station. The station dates from 1849 and now lies between Blackheath and also Westcombe Park and Woolwich Dockyard on Southern Eastern Trains. Charlton was opened on the original North Kent Line and was very like that at Woolwich Arsenal with a two-storey building on the up side. There was no footbridge and the line was crossed on foot and initially there was no goods yard. In 1852 a junction to the Angerstein line was added west of the station. A double-track line to Maze Hill opened in 1873, and this led to layout revisions and a name change to Charlton Junction. A third bay platform was added and west of the station were crossovers joining the two lines. A goods siding was also added and a footbridge. In 1905 a high-level entrance above the tracks was installed alongside the road bridge and passenger waiting areas were added. In 1926, the Southern Railway electrified the line. The station was subject to a rocket attack in 1944 destroying most of it except for the signal box and the substation in Troughton Road. In 1956 the platforms were lengthened and the name changed back to simply ‘Charlton’. The goods yard closed in 1963 and in 1968, a two-storey CLASP building was installed on the up platform. In 1999, a 90-foot long tent-like structure was put up on the down side to handle passengers going to the Dome and a lift was installed on a brick tower. In 2014 a local group of gardeners has planted trees and shrubs in the area alongside the down side exit and the tents.
Signal box. From the start this was west of the station on the up side. In 1905 this was demolished and replaced by a much bigger building. It was built to the designs of the, by then, defunct South Eastern Railway and controlled a larger layout as additional tracks were installed. It survived the bombing of the station but in 1970 it was closed
Hindwoods. Estate Agents. In 1910 the firm moved to Cedar Lodge which stood on the corner with what is now Floyd Road – but which was then Cedar Grove. The original front of the building was to the rear in what was then Cedar Place. This has been demolished in 2014 and new buildings erected on the site
51 Charlton Social and Conservative Club. This was purpose built by the local Conservative Association who had previously met on the other side of the road in a shop at no.12. It was opened in 1898 and built by J.B.Sanford. It had a flat, offices, a billiard room and a garden at the back. In 1908 an iron hall was added at the back along with a bowling green; later a rifle range was also added. In the 1920s a new hall was added at the side and yet another hall and bar in 1967. In the 2000s the building has been sold and its current use is unclear.
59 Charlton Liberal Club. The club premises had been in the Woolwich Road but were compulsorily purchased for housing in the 1960s. This property was bought with the compensation money. It has bars and meeting rooms.
Wellington Mansions. This block of flats and shops is said to have been built as the Wellington Temperance Hotel in the 1890s.
Level Crossing. There are not many level crossings left in the built-up area of London and this is between Charlton and Woolwich Dockyard Stations. It is the nearest to central London for the South Eastern Division. At least twenty trains an hour pass through it during the peak.
Signal Box. It opened on the North Kent Line around 1900 with a structure designed by contractor Saxby & Farmer. Charlton Lane's signal box survived after signalling became automatic but only in order to handle the traditional level crossing gates. Full automatic barriers, with warning lights, were installed in 1973, and were controlled directly from the signal cabin. In 2002, the cabin's traditional four-quarter wooden window frames were replaced with double-glazing, complete with thick plastic rims. It still has its original mechanical levers.
Footbridge – traditional bridge over the line in latticed metal
Prentiss Court. These flats, now local authority housing managed by Greenwich Council who bought them in 1972. They were built by G.A.Harvey and Co. for their workers in 1952. Dr Harold Prentiss was Harvey's Medical Officer. They were opened by Harold Macmillan. They are on the site of the Kent Water Works.
Charlton Well. This was originally a pumping station for the Kent Water Co built in 1864 in part of an old chalk quarry. There was a Cornish engine there from Harvey’s of Hayle. However pumping stopped in 1875 and the engine was sent to Orpington. In 1881 it was taken over by the Plumstead District Waterworks Co. who pumped water for non domestic purposes. It had closed by 1900 but the engine house remained until 1910.m
46 Infant Welfare Centre and Artificial Sunlight Centre. Metropolitan Borough of Greenwich bought land here for a clinic and this was opened in 1935. In the Second World War the building was used as an Air Road First Aid Post. It is now private housing
Steps lead into Maryon Park and up the hillside to the top of Gilbert’s Pit
Footpath. From the bottom of the steps a footpath leads between the perimeter of the park and Thorntree Road. It skirts the base of Gilbert’s Pit and passes through areas of wild and apparently unmanaged woodland.
St. Paul’s Close. This is the site of St Pauls Church. This stood on the northern corner with Fairfield Road. It was opened in 1866 and designed by W.Wiggiton in the Gothic style. Soon after it had been built the north side began so subside. The church was completely destroyed by a bomb in 1940. The site was eventually sold to the council and is now the site of housing.
Rectory to St Pauls. This was west of the church and built in 1884. It remained in use until 1972 and was eventually demolished in 1975.
67 Vicarage built for Holy Trinity Church. It has however more recently been used but the vicar from St. Luke’s Church. It was also used as St.Luke’s Training House a pre-theological college but this closed in 1971.
54 Royal Oak. Traditional style pub with an L-shaped bar very close to Charlton Football Ground.
Local authority housing built in 1974. This housing replaced traditional terraced housing, including the corner shop featuring as an antique dealer's in the film ‘Blow Up’.
Entrance to Maryon Park. This entrance features in the film ‘Blow Up’.
The name is attributed to a nearby area in the park – to the east of this square. Housing built by the Metropolitan Borough of Greenwich in the early 1920s.
Charlton Mission Hall. This was built as a parish mission hall for St.Paul's church.
Like Atlas Gardens built by Cory for their workers. Named for the equipment on the Atlas hulk
Originally called East Street
The Fair Field once stood at the top of Charlton Lane. It was associated with the Horn Fair held between 1819 and 1871 and belonged to the Maryon Wilson Estate. It was bought by the Metropolitan Borough of Greenwich in 1921 for housing.
The Fairfield Centre. NHS Health Centre. This is on the site of the Rectory for St.Paul’s Church.
This was once called Cedar Grove and the western end was lined with cedar trees.
Cedar Grove Postal Sorting Office. This opened in 1907 with six postmen and closed in 196l.
Mural. The Local Community Halting Demolition. This was painted in 1976 by the Greenwich Mural Workshop.
Charlton Athletic Football Club. The club was founded in 1905 and had used various local parks and fields to play in. After the Great War they needed somewhere permanent and the area considered was called The Swamps. This was an old chalk and sand pit used by Glentons surrounded by high cliffs and full of debris from the London County Council sewer works. In 1919 volunteer supporters dug out the site and army huts used as changing rooms. The ground eventually held 75,000 spectators and the East Stand claimed to be the world's biggest football terrace. The club was the first to televise live soccer matches. Charlton became a First Division Club in the Football League in 1937, and remained there for 21 years. They played twice in the FA Cup Final and won it in 1947. They now have a large building which doubles as a stand and offices. The ground has trees on three sides.
Charlton Station pit. This was also known as West Pit. It was bounded by Charlton Hill on the west, the railway on the north, and Charlton Lane on the east. It is shown as Ballast Pits - meaning sand and chalk - in 1866 – 67. Here the excavation of Thanet Sand was carried downwards to exploit the underlying chalk. This is now the area occupied by the football pitch and stands
Disinfectant factory. This is shown on late 19th maps. It looks to be on the edge of the chalk pit which became Charlton Football grounds and could thus be on the site of offices for Glenton’s, who exploited that pit.
The part of the road from Woolwich Road to the railway is an adaption of what was Ransom Road. It became part of a late 1970s housing estate built by the Greater London Council.
Terrace of houses by BPTW and managed by Family Mosaic, said to be some of the greenest housing in London. Opened 2010.
Glenton's Sand and Ballast Railway.
This railway was built in 1840 by entrepreneur and developer Lewis Glenton. It ran from sand pits in the Charlton Football Ground area to the river. Later British Ropes took over the northern portion to move flax and hemp from the river to their works, and some remains of the railway remain on that site.
Named after Joanna Gollogly, local Labour councillor and Mayor. This is local authority housing built on the site of Warren sandpits
Named for the Guild of Master Builders who built much of this estate.
Built from Woolwich Road to the River by S.Hardin, local farmer, in the 18th. The southern section of the road is cut off from Woolwich Road and runs alongside the park
Barrier Park - Hardens Manorway Park. This is a flat linear north-south block of land that was at one stage occupied by part of the Siemens Brothers Telegraph Works. London Borough of Greenwich took over the land as derelict in the mid-1980s and landscaped it with funding from the Greater London Council to be in keeping with new landscaping in Maryon Park. This consists of bed planted with native trees and shrubs and grassland with wildflowers with features of chalkland including bee orchid and common centuary supporting butterflies and insects. There is a pond with dragonflies
Built by Harvey’s & Co. for their workers in 1935. Sold to the London Borough of Greenwich in 1972.
Named after the 18th Kentish historian.
Thorntree Road Primary School. The bungalow style school was built by the London County Council in 1927. It was initially an infant school and has had a nursery on the premises also. In the Second World War it was used by an RAF Balloon Unit.
Named after Lord Lansdowne 19th Whig politician
Lansdowne Workshops. These are in the reconditioned buildings of the Kentish Sanitary Laundry. These date from 1906 but were refurbished after Second World War bombing. The works finally closed in 1978.
Maryon Park. This square only covers the eastern portion of the park – which does not include the area made famous in the film ‘Blow Up’. The area was originally part of Hanging Wood and it is named after the local landowners – the Maryon Wilson family. Much of the park is part of an old sandpit – known as East Pit - worked for sand for scouring, ballast or glass and bottle manufacture and which was exploited from the early 18th to 1870. Under the Metropolitan 'Open Spaces' Act, twelve acres of exhausted sand workings were given by Sir Spencer Maryon-Wilson Bt. to the London County Council in 1889. The area was levelled, grassed over and opened as a park in 1890. Over the next thirty years more land and old workings were added by the L.C.C.
Roman Camp. The high embankment between Gilbert’s Pit and the main park is part of the inner ring of earthworks of a Romano-British settlement. This was excavated in the late 19th and it was thought it was used from the 1st to the 5th centuries A.D.
Gilbert's Pit. Charlton Sandpit. This is an immense sandpit dug in the 18th and 19th when sand was used on London floors and was used in glass works and for moulding purposes at the Royal Arsenal. The exposed strata have made the pit geologically important. It is separated from the Park and fenced off. It was designated a 'site of special scientific interest' in 1959 and more recently a site of ‘geodiversity interest’.
Maryon Wilson Park
Maryon Wilson Park. This square only covers the eastern side Maryon Wilson Park. The area was once known as Hanging Woods. It is likely that the name refers to the hanging formation of the trees nevertheless the highwaymen who frequented the main Dover Road no doubt also hid there. The land was given by Sir S.P.M. Maryon-Wilson Bart to the London County Council in 1912 and opened as a park in 1926. The southern part is narrow, with a path running alongside a stream in a valley or 'combe'. There is a small animal enclosure for deer, sheep and other small animals. This grew from a group of deer presented to the council by Sir Maryon Wilson. In 1950 three Exmoor ponies were added, and in the past there have been muntjac. There are now ponies which belong to Riding for the Disabled, linked to Charlton Park School to the south.
The road name is an amalgam of Penfold, whose vehicles transported the hardcore for the road and Beatall, the first occupier
Beatall Furniture Ltd. This was set up in 1935 by R.S.Whybrow who made wooden furniture & made a lot of money in furnishings for evacuation centres. Then Utility Furniture came along and they made a lot of money out of cheap furniture and their sub-assembly system. Went out of business in 1962 when they were unable to face competition from competitors. A large building on the site of their works remains
Tramatorium. This was on the corner with Woolwich Road and was a site leased from Stones in 1950 to dispose of the trams. Here they were stripped and burnt. Disposal depended on geographical relation of the route to the site. There were Civic processions with many lots as they arrived. Last Tram Week was in June 1952
Pound Park Road
Name derived from the pound, a 19th fenced area for confining animals overnight before they continued their journey along the Lower Woolwich Road. In 1889 it was opened as a Recreation Ground in 1889 and renamed Pound Park. Charlton Athletic played here for 5 years. In 1920 the Park was transferred to the Greenwich Borough’s housing department and became the site of Charlton’s first council houses, built as family homes with three bedrooms and gardens.
Pound Park Nursery. This was built in 1944 to cater for children whose parents were involved in the war effort. It continued as a nursery school for the next 60 years and became a model of good practice for the education of children aged three and four years. In 2006 Pound Park, in conjunction with Sure Start Charlton, became a Children’s Centre and a new family room was added.
Charlton Tunnel. This runs from Charlton Lane under a portion of Maryon Park. Features of the portals included a stone string course, now replaced in brick, and a peaked parapet. Around the arch ring is decorative brickwork and there are massive wing walls. Apart from quite extensive modern repairs to the west portal the original design has been retained.
The road follows the route of Glenton’s railway from the sand pits to the railway – originally to the Woolwich Road. The name is said to come from the type of skips used on the railway.
Railway bridge. Low bridge to allow Glenton’s Railway under the main line.
Charlton Mosque. Charlton Mosque & Pakistan Welfare Association - established in 1970 moved to Ransom Road in 1974.This is Sufi – Bareilvi
Sam Bartram Close
Housing on part of what was part of the football ground and named for one of their players.
The road itself runs across the top of the pit in which the football ground now sits. It has been used as a market garden but was bought by a housing developer in 1937 and the houses are from that date.
Estate built on an old sand pit area which stands above the football ground. A great deal of infill was needed to make the ground up and therefore houses here are of light weight wooden construction. Built in 1974.
Until 1925 this was Hanging Wood Lane said to be a retreat of robbers who preyed on travellers on the Dover Road. It runs between Maryon Park and Maryon Wilson Park.
Terrace of housing on what was an area of railway sidings and good facilities
Valley Grove Estate. Built in 1935 on land bought from Boyd Estates and flats were built Greenwich Borough Council.
Valiant House. The London Borough of Greenwich bought land on the edge of the football ground from Glikstein in 1967. The tower block was built in 1975 and is 17 storeys
Reservoir. This was built in the 1920s to the south of the football ground.
Thames Water Utilities. At the end of the road is a brick building which stands over the sewer. Thirty feet below is a huge weir where the Eltham sewer meets No.2 southern outfall sewer.
ACE Machinery. The company were pioneers in the manufacture of hoists for the civil engineering industry. It began in Brixton as the Australian Concrete Equipment Co. in 1919. In 1966 they took over William Jones and moved to their Westmoor Street site. In 1979 they were taken over by Scottish construction company F.J.C.Lilley. Lilley went out of business in the 1990s citing problems with Ace Machinery.
William Jones. This company originated in a railway track and conveyor production based in Upper Thames Street, then Creek Road and then Banning Street. In 1936 they took on the Westmoor Street site and had begun to specialise in sewage works equipment. They had four long corrugated iron sheds here. They were taken over by ACE in 1966. As a subsidiary company they became in specialists solid/liquid separation methods
Built by Metropolitan Borough of Greenwich in the 1920s, at the time when the Wolfe statue was given to Greenwich Park.
428 Antigallican. This was probably an 18th ale house on a slightly different site. The name comes from an anti French movement in the 18th. It was taken over by John McDonnell in 1984 having previously been leased by Charringtons to Hallam Co. of Bexleyheath
Fire station - Next to the Antigallcan pub is a house for the engine & fire escape
331 This was Chants Snowflake Laundry in 1906.
444 Lime Villas. There were two kilns here for the Greenwich Pottery. Built in 1871 by John Nicholls replacing some earlier ones on a site previously owned by Lewis Glenton. John Nichols was a lime merchant previously based in Hardens Manorway and when he moved here named the house Lime Villa and concentrating on lime burning installed two Staffordshire bottle kilns. The raw materials were obtained from the Rose and Crown Pit at Riddlesdown which Nichols also owned. In the early 1920s, Eric Nichols sold the premises and bottle kilns, with a chalk capital 'N' in the neck of both, were bought by the Crown Fuel Company to make heating elements for gas fires. In 1950 the Company made pottery and figurines were advertised in the 1951 Greenwich Festival Guide. Demolished in 1965 by the Greater London Council and Barney Close built on the site.
482- 484 Armstrong works. This later became Armstrong Gardens and the home of the Earlswood Sanitary Steam Laundry
Earlswood Sanitary Steam Laundry. This became part of the same company as the Kentish Laundry in 1920.
Cable Trade Park.
503-505 Waterman’s Arms. This began as a beer house in the 1840s. In 1900 it was taken over by Mann, Crossman and Paulin who rebuilt it. It was rebuilt again in 1978 and demolished in the 1980s for road widening.
Mashland. In the 19th on open ground to the west of Anchor and Hope Lane much of London’s refuse was tipped, slop being brought by barges. An embankment was made round the area with solid material, using refuse from gas works.
602 Cherubim and Seraphim Church. This was the Horse and Groom pub. Originally on the turnpike road it dates from about 1840 and was a coaching inn, as the name suggests, had a collection of old enamel advertising signs. It was modernised in the 1890s and 1930s. It is now closed
Tollgate. This is said to have stood on the turnpike road at the bottom of Charlton Lane
Charlton Well. North side of Woolwich Road opposite Charlton Lane and called Charlton Well. It was originally a pumping station for the Plumstead Woolwich and Charlton Waterworks, built in 1859 which became Kent Water Co in 1861. It had a Cornish beam engine from Harvey’s of Hale. It was polluted with river water and closed in 1874
Holy Trinity Church. This stood on the corner with Charlton Lane. This had been an iron church since 1887 it the new church was built in memory of Frederick Maryon Wilson who died in 1893. It was designed by local architect John Rowland and it was a large stone building paid for by the Maryon Wilson family. Many families left the area during and after the Second World War and congregations fell until the church was unused and it closed in 1974. It was demolished in 1975.
Trinity Court. Flats built by London Borough of Greenwich in 1983 on the site of Holy Trinity church.
Stone Lake Retail Park. This is on the site of Stone’s Sports Club ground. Stones had bought the site in 1928 when it was very warerlogged and needed a lot of infilling. They also bought the old National School buildings which were used on the site for a while. In 1980 it was sold to a developer but permission was refused for a superstore there. The land remained unused and returning to marsh until the current retail park was built.
Stone Lake Industrial Park
Stone Foundries. The firm can trace its origins back to 1830 when founder, Josiah Stone, set up his business on the Thames in south-east London to cast copper nails for the shipbuilding industry in Deptford. The company expanded to a large site on Arklow Road, Deptford. The firm built foundries on the riverside in Charlton to make anchors. The firm had several works north of this site and some parts of it failed. The foundry was bought by John Langham along with the sports field. .As the aerospace industry developed during the early 1900's, the focus of the business moved towards magnesium and aluminium light alloy castings to supply the needs of this rapidly growing industry. In 1939, a new plant was established in Charlton, and this plant continues to produce aerospace castings today. In 1982, Stone Foundries was acquired by Langham Industries.
704 White Horse. Large 19th one-bar pub between Woolwich and Charlton. In the 1860s the landlord had a tame bear o the premises. It was once owned by some professional footballers.
National School. Sir Thomas Maryon Wilson convened the land to the Charlton parish for a National Society school. Opened in a Gothic structure in 1862. Lot of problems with children from poor families leaving to work, and not able to pay, etc. In 1892 infants were moved to a building on the future church site. When the local school board was set up they found the school needed a lot of repairs. It was closed and the building was later leased as a factory.
Guy Hurrell. In 1928 Hurrel bought the old national school premises. He had a works in Blackheath where he refurbished machines and manufactured the Hurrell Homogeniser. The firm flourished and Hurrell invented several more useful things. The works was bought up by Stones in 1946 and Hurrell moved to Strood
Methodist Chapel. This was built in the 1880s with donations from Siemens among others. It was for Methodists in the Woolwich Cifcut.ghe building had a tower to the side and community facilities. The church was totally destroyed by bombing in 1940. The site was eventually sold to the Roman Catholic Church
Methodist Chapel. An iron chapel with a schoolroom was built on the corner with Hardens Manorway in 1847. The congregation eventually moved to the other side of the road and the building was sold to the Salvation Army.
Salvation Army Citadel. This was on the site of the old Methodist chapel. A citadel style building was erected here in 1847. It closed in 1908 and was eventually demolished for road widening.
757 The Victoria. Built in about 1860 and rebuilt in 1909 by Truman. It has a bad slope to the floor but is notable for the two large Truman eagles in bas relief on the exterior. Closed and very very derelict
765 The Royal Greenwich UTC is a University Technical College, for 14 - 19 year old students to GCSEs and A-levels alongside technical qualifications. It is sponsored by Transport for London and Wates Group. A new three-storey building designed by Walters & Cohen forms the entrance, admin and general teaching building. The rest is in a reconditioned single-storey warehouse dating from 1957.
Westminster Industrial Estate. This is on part of the site of the Siemens works. The majority of the factory was to the north
Maryon Park School. This was a London School Board School on Bowater Estate land – a pig farm was being operated from an existing house on the site. It was expensive to build on marshy ground but it opened in 1896. Extended in 1910. In the Second World War it was used by Siemens detachment of the Home Guard. After the War it became a girls' secondary school with junior mixed and infants. It was closed in 1954 and became an annexe to Charlton Secondary school for Boys. But closed finally in 1961. It was then modernised and became the upper schools of the Charlton schools. It finally closed in 1981 and the pupils were transferred to Westcombe Park Road. Became College of Further Education.
Woolwich College of Further Education. When Maryon Park School closed the building was adapted into an adult college. It opened in 1983 for City and Guilds, O levels etc. A handsome multi-gabled London School Board building of 1896 with twin turrets
Windrush Primary School. This is now in the old Maryon Park School/ FE College buildings
St.Catherine Laboure. Roman Catholic Church. This was built on the site of the bombed Methodist church. It was intended to be a chapel of ease to st.Peters in Woolwich but the site was very small. Eventually the petrol company who had bought the adjacent site agreed to sell giving enough space for a building and also agreed to build a retaining wall against slippage from Maryon Park to the rear. The church was built in 1961 by Walters & Kerr Bate plus a parish hall at the back.
Glen-Mohr House. On the site where Maryon Park School was later built was a club house with stables and bowling alley. Previously home of Squire Harrington who owned a sawmill and of Lewis Glenton.
853. Web site
Bird. The Port of London
Charlton Average. Web site
Charlton Champion. Web site
Charlton Society. Walks
Chelsea Speleological Society. Newsletter
Derelict London. Web site
Field. Place Names of London
Kent Rail. Web site
London Borough of Greenwich. Local List
London Mural Preservation Society. Web site.
Metropolitan Borough of Greenwich. Festival Brochure
Nature Conservation in Greenwich
Pound Park Nursery. Web site
Smith. History of Charlton
Spurgeon. Discover Woolwich
Spurgeon. Discover Greenwich and Charlton,
South East London Industrial Archaeology
Voice of the Valley
Much of this square has depended on information contained in the late John Smith’s excellent History of Charlton. Thanks to him for this