Thames Tributary Falcon - Hyde Farm
Joined by small tributaries, the stream heads north and west to join another branch
Post to the west Balham
Originally part of Cubit development - Clapham Park estate planned from 1825 as an area of large villas
La Retraite Convent. Incorporating two of Cubitt's Clapham Park villas of c.1860; additions by L. Stokes, 1908. La Retraite School founded 1880, by "Les Dames De La Retraite" – French sisters from an order founded by Catherine De Francheville in Vannes in 1674. The sisters first bought Oakfield House, owned by the family of Victorian portrait painter, De Lazlo. In 1897, they bought The Oaks since demolished for a chapel and refectory. In 1904, Springfield House was bought from the family of Dan Leno, who had died there, and this is now the Sixth Form Centre. They also bought Burlington House. In 1913, another block and a gym were added. In the 1970s, the grammar school became comprehensive school, and in the 1990s, it became a Grant-Maintained school. In 1999 it linked with other local schools as the South London Sixth - SL6.
St Bernadette Roman Catholic Primary School. Founded in 1958 by the La Retraite Sisters. Sisters from the Order acted as Headteachers until 1985. It had existed as a prep school within the La Retraite building since the 1880s. Under the Butler Education Act of 1944 no primary prep school could be part of a senior school. The Sisters taught infant children in the coach houses behind St. Bede's Church. Work began on a new building in 1956 and the opening marked the centenary of the first apparition to Saint Bernadette.
Eamon Fortell Centre mental health care unit.
At Cavendish Road, the brook heads north, with two tributaries joining from the park south and south east. Cavendish Road was once called Dragmire Lane.
The area was acquired by Emmanuel College Cambridge in 1587 when it was a field called Hyde. In the 1890s they developed it as the Hyde Farm Estate
Falcon The stream then runs along the top of Tooting Bec Common. Three large elm trees used to mark the course here alongside Emmanuel RoadHyde Farm. The farm was leased out to farmers until the late 19th century, when Hyde field was turned over to sport and recreation, and the farm, to pig farming.
70-72 shops built along with the school, church and centre as the focus to the Hyde Farm Estate.
Hyde Farm Mews
Housing on the site of Hyde Farm School playing field.
Emmanuel College began to develop the area with this road in the 1890s.
Dashwood Foundation. Properties in the area were built by Ernest Dashwood from 189 and some put aside for occupation by war wounded from the Boer War and the First World War, The Dashwood Foundation was set up in 1946 and rent free accommodation was set aside for men and women from the Services who were injured during World War II, commemorated with a number of plaques.
77 Hyde Farm Estate Works Department building with a plaque dated 1899-1904
Molly Huggins Close
Built on the site of the Weir Maternity Hospital by the Metropolitan Housing Trust
Weir Maternity Hospital opened 1931 in Edwardian buildings closed and demolished 1877. The hospital had been founded under the Will of Benjamin Weir, and opened in 1911, Weir’s home was 'The Hawthorns', used with other land for the hospital. During the First World War it became a military hospital reverting to a general hospital in 1920. In 1931 Wandsworth Borough Council built the Wandsworth War Memorial Maternity Home on a next door site. In 1948 the NHS combine the two hospitals as a maternity unit. The Wandsworth Hospital Group office was also in the building. It closed in 1977, when government policy ended maternity units outside district hospitals.
Hospital boundary railings on the front of the site
Wandsworth War Memorial unit. Built 1931 by architect R.J.Thompson
1938, a little more daring, with curved corners and horizontal bands. Post- war buildings are more generously laid out
Part of the Clapham Park estate planned by Cubitt from 1825 as an area of large villas. Now part of the South Circular the southern part of the estate is now cut off from the northern.
42-65 a quadrant of shops with flats above, c. 1955
Flats on the site of the Library which was closed in 2000
Agnes Riley Gardens. The site of one of Cubitt’s villas and named after the benefactor.
Radbourne Centre used as a youth club and community base. This was built as Hyde Farm Club in 1912 for the use of war veterans.
Hyde Farm School. Smaller than the others in the area. Used as a special needs school but now private housing. It was a London School Board School of 1904 by T.J.Bailey
On the site of St.Anne’s Home
Named after the scholars at Emmanuel College Cambridge which bought the area in 1587 when it was a field called Hyde.
Hyde Field was part of Hyde Farm until the 19th when it became Hyde Farm Athletic Grounds for cricket, golf, athletics, cycle racing and, baseball. There was a grandstand, refreshment bar and teahouse.
Low housing, late 1950s
St Thomas Church. 1898
31-33 plaque about occupation by ex-service personnel.
Telferscot School. London School Board building of 1904 by T.J.Bailey. Six storeys with a bell tower and cupola. Primary school.
Simple low housing of the late 1950s
58 St.Bede’s Roman Catholic Church. Built 1924 and designed by Edward Maufe
St. Bede’s Infant School. Listed Grade II
St.Anne’s Home for Girls.
Was Grove Road and renamed for Benjamin Weir who in 1902 left his house, the Hawthorns, for a hospital to be built. A ward in St. George’s Hospital is named after him.
3 Memon Centre. A centre providing facilities for the Muslim organisation.
St Stephen. Opened in 1867, and built to designs of James Knowles. It was bombed but reopened in 1954. It has since been demolished and replaced by a new multi-purpose church in 1974
Grange Mills. Trading Estate on the south side of the road, included a laundry, Chapman Stationery.
Clapham Park Bottling Plant
1 Charlwood Mansions, 1861
Phoenix Motor Co. - house with factory extension to the side
General Catering Supplies
Big Yellow10-12 Standwood House