Thames Tributary Neckinger -St.George's and Waterloo
The Neckinger wound around Lambeth and Kennington from a source which probably in Mary Harmsworth Park. It appears to go to the Thames in two directions – one to the East at St. Saviours, and three to the west around Westminster Bridge.
Post to the north Southwark
Post to the west Lambeth Riverside
Post to the east Borough
27 Two Eagles two-bar side street ex-pub
Was Oakley Street and renamed after Lillian Baylis niece to the Victorian 'lady who transformed the Old Vic into a theatre of the first rank. Features in films 'File of the Golden Goose’.
33 Duke of Sussex. Pub opposite the Old Vic, popular with London Transport staff from the nearby bus depot. Old pictures of the surrounding area on the walls.
Flats an unusually attractive cluster, 8-19 storeys, and load-bearing brick, with crisply projecting balconies. By Stillman & Eastwick Field, 1963 part of the G.L.C.'s Tanswell Estate.
Millennium Gardens. Contemporary gardens on the corner with Waterloo Road with large expanses of grass and a modern water feature with large naturalistic boulders and atmospheric planting. Features in films 'Ring of Spies’.
Campbell Buildings, c.1905. On site of works of Maudslay, Sons & Field, engineers. Built when Waterloo Station was enlarged, 1907-22. Said that they were for L&SW Railway employees, or for those displaced from streets on which Waterloo Station was built. Demolished 1980/1. Excavations here revealed deep water channels.
Board School 1874. Now gone.
Friendship House. Zinc tiles and bright colours around a courtyard with a pool. Self catering accommodation for 179 working people and students with a common room and dining room provided by the London Hostels Association
Was called Albion Road. Runs due north to the bridge across the Thames and was laid out as an approach to that bridge. Much manufacturing in the area: John Bally Fairy soap makers were here, there were Lots of beer engine manufacturers in the 18th - John Chadwell in 1801. G.Green 1809 Thomas Towntre in 1801.
72 Ring. The pub takes its name from the Blackfriar's Ring, a boxing venue before 1940. Original Friary Meux windows. In keeping with the boxing tradition, the pub had a gym upstairs and photographs of boxers around the bar. One landlord once trained a Commonwealth Flyweight champion.
74-86 remains of Georgian terraces. Some listed Grade II.
108 Crown. Pub built in 1837 with a bright facade.
115 David Barker House. Salvation Army Hostel for homeless men who have slept rough,
123 Flowers of the Forest pub. Gone. Demolished
154/6. Blackfriars Foundry. Office centre in building of 1896/7 built for Rotary Type-Casting Co., makers of compositing machines. It has since been used as a type foundry, brewers engineer's, exporters' and switch gear maker and suppliers.
173 Imbibe was recently Babushka. Modern styled Bar and Restaurant which specialised in vodka. Was the Old King's Head which apart from a dart board, had no other facilities
176 Sons of Temperance. Building designed by Arthur Russell and opened in 1910 by Sir Vesey Strong, Lord Mayor of London. The Friendly Society began 19th and continues to promote the benefits of alcohol-free lifestyles. This is the national headquarters of the organisation but it was built for the London Grand Division. Its former chairmen are known as Grand Worthy Patriarchs.
186-189 c.1777 74-86
Peabody Square. Built 1872- 80. By H.A.Darbyshire on the site of the Magdalen Hospital. Sixteen four-storey blocks around two courtyards with trees. Separate laundries. The flats had shared sculleries, and staircase access. Modernised in the 1988; Grade II listed
Magdalen Hospital was founded in 1758 at Whitechapel for the training of penitent prostitutes. Thus six acre site was later developed. Later, the hospital moved to Streatham
133 Erlang House. Used by the University of the South Bank
Surrey Theatre. Established 1782 by Charles Hughes, a trick horse rider and song-writer Charles Dibdin as the Royal Circus and Equestrian Philharmonic Academy. Burnt down 1803 and rebuilt and then renamed the Surrey Theatre in 1816. Rebuilt again after another fire in 1865.In 1921 it became a cinema and it was demolished in 1935.
Royal Eye Hospital. Hospital founded in 1857 by John Zachariah Laurence. It was first called the South London Ophthalmic Hospital. The foundation stone of the new building was laid in 1890 by the Prince of Wales. It had forty beds, but fourteen were closed through lack of funds. It was built on sand and had no drain underneath. Open in all directions; every corner was rounded for cleanliness and for the blindfolded patients. It went into the National Health Service in 1948 and eventually became part of St Thomas's Hospital. It closed in 1984. During demolition in 1994 it collapsed on to the roader
Hostel for South Bank University students. On the site of the Royal Eye Hospital.
109-112 Presbyterian chapel. Built 1848 with a frontage of giant pilasters. It was used as –part of Hoe's printing-press manufactory which was next door and demolished. Listed Grade II. The frontage is due to be renovated by Lifschutz Davidson Sandilands as part of a development by London South Bank University.
170 and extended into also Rotary Street. Robert Hoe's factory which made rotary printing presses. The factory extended into a number of other buildings. The main factory included the former chapel. Demolished 1983.
Tower Block. South Bank University – houses the Tower Restaurant and the National Bakery School.
Learning Resources Centre South Bank University –
30 Bridge House. Was a pub now a café, street comer local.
South Bank University - Borough Polytechnic. Founded because of Joseph Lancaster, who started a free school for poor children in 1801 on what became the Lancastrian system. Schools followed all over England and other countries. In 1843 the British and Foreign Bible Society opened a training college in Borough Road on Lancaster's school site and this was followed in 1892 by the establishment of the Polytechnic .The front of the building is by Le Maitre 1930; but the older buildings are those of the British and Foreign School Society.
7-12 St George's Library Passmore Edwards library. Foundation stone laid in December 1897 by Passmore Edwards. He had written a letter to the press in which he offered to build the library on condition that the parish adopted the Public Libraries Act 1892. It is no longer a library. Originally there was a newsroom, lending library, ladies' rooms and boys' room. A reference library was on the first floor with a bookstore attached, a committee room, and the librarian's residence.
The Neckinger is said to have run down it.
Built along a dyke, following a branch of the Neckinger and enclosing Paris Garden.
British Trolley Track Company 1939 works and store built. 1930's utilitarian style.
Called after George Davidge who was a Harlequin who performed at Surrey Theatre and elsewhere. Previously called Little Surrey Street.
Bazeley House, Corporation of London housing.
42 Dover Castle now housing and offices
Elephant and Castle
The Neckinger is said to run underneath it
Elephant & Castle., This was a circus of six converging roads and the best known of south London junctions. A comprehensive development was proposed in the L.C.C. plan of 1951; and began in 1956 There was a re-alignment of roads, pedestrian subways, car parks, office blocks, shopping mall and twenty-five storey blocks of flats, and a modern College of Printing.
Elephant & Castle. . In 1641 a forge was set here up by a John Flaxman to pick up passing trade. In 1760 the smithy became a tavern and a coaching terminus in the 18th. The tavern was replaced in the 19th and has since moved to a different site. The pub had a large model of an elephant and castle as its sign - One story says that this represents the Infanta di Castille who fled from the Inquisition and stayed at the pub. However, an elephant and castle was a common enough heraldic sign, used in the arms of the Cutlers' Company which dealt in ivory from 1622.
Faraday Memorial Generating station. On the main island, the inscription says:” This stainless steel sculpture commemorates Michael Faraday 1791-1867 English chemist and physicist known for his research into electricity and magnetism who lived locally.' Faraday was born in 1791 in Newington Butts. The structure also contains an electrical substation for the Northern Line.
London College of Communication was the London College of Printing. Built 1964 by L.C.C. The earlier parts consist of two curtain-walled blocks of four and fourteen storeys, by the L.C.C. Architect's Department. An extension of 1969-73 is more idiosyncratic.
Elephant and Castle Station. Intermediate station of the City of London and Southwark Railway Which opened later than the rest of the line in 1906. The railway was taken over by Yerkes in 1902. It has a concrete and iron platform and its original lift gate was worked by compressed air. Thus us a Leslie Green designed station with a Steel frame and glazed with ruby red bricks.
Johanna Primary School. 1967. By Andrew Renton & Associates, a low red brick building with taller hall. Web site leads on uniforms.
Almshouses for the Drapers Company 1820. Founded by John Walter, Clerk to the Drapers' Company in 1616 for forty years. By his will he left property in trust for the maintenance of the alms folk. New almshouses known as St Georges Cottages were built on a different site in the street and including gardens, stores and washhouses.
Great Suffolk Street
Gravel Lane in 1914. Recalls the historic Tudor mansion of Suffolk Park that once stood here. This was built along a dyke on a branch of the Neckinger enclosing the manor of Paris Garden.
Grande Vitesse goods depot. Now industrial centre. Built 1900 by the South Eastern & Chatham Railway for Continental goods. Just before the viaduct is a spur up to the LCDR
59 Southwark Bacon Company. Founded c. 1925, drying and curing bacon in traditional kilns. Yellow and blue brick. Stoves stood in a range behind. It was he Empire Bacon Curing Co. and became Friars Bacon Co. until 1921. Later it was the Southwark Bacon Drying Co. in Fitch and Co. closed 1980. Loading bay in Loman Street with goods doors on the first floor.
Bridges of the South Eastern Railway - Piransian arches. Features in films 'Trauma’ as St.Mary’s Apartments.
London Fire Brigade Community Sports Facility
79-83 The Wireworks
Built in the 18th on marshland. In Roman times must have been a large lake. Much of the area was developed by the horse showman, Philip Astley, who lived in Hercules Hall at the north corner of the street. Hercules referred to one of his shows, ‘Twelve Labours. Features in film 'Passport to Pimlico’.
Hercules Buildings was developed by Philip Astley on the east side of the road. William Blake lived at 13.
28-34, nice early C 19 cottages with iron verandas. Pleasant
William Blake Estate. Blake lived locally although his house has been demolished. This Corporation of London estate has 126 properties, including ten houses, shops and parking. Blake House was built in 1922, Donnelly House and McAuley Close in 1981. The estate also includes York House, Lynton Mansions and St James Mansions
Central Office of Information
53 Pineapple pub. Large free house, popular with locals, office workers and students. Features in films 'Melody’
The A23: a long straight road, about a mile long. Built on open land, in 1751, shortly after Westminster Bridge was opened, by the Turnpike Trust.
Christ Church. Congregational. Only the Lincoln Memorial Tower survives of the original bombed church by Paull & Bickerdike, 1873-6, standing at the fork of two main roads. The spire is decorated with stars and stripes because the building funds came from America. The tower now contains a lift as now part of an office block, with the church on the ground floor shown by a window behind a concrete screen. The church was built in 1958-60, the halls and offices slightly later. The architect was Peter J. Darvall. Replaced Rowland Hill’s Surrey Chapel which was in Blackfriars Road. In 1859 the trustees bought this site and built a complex of buildings, which included Christ Church, Hawkstone Hall and the Tower. Hawkstone Hall used for community activities and named after Rowland Hill’s birthplace.
2 Meeting Point Chinese restaurant. Was the Hercules Tavern - A one-bar local with an art-deco style interior.
Kennington police station
67 Three Stags. Large pub opposite the Imperial War Museum. Charlie Chaplin is alleged to have used the pub and it is reputed that his father lived here.
111 Grand Union pub, was once called The Tankard
China Walk estate 1929. London County Council.
King James Street
Hunter House - more traditional by Joseph, Son & Smithem, of 1899, relieved only by Jacobean trimmings. London County council
Kings Bench Street
Kings Bench Prison. This is within the area covered by the rules of the Kings Bench. A prison which took its name from the King's Bench court where cases of defamation, bankruptcy were heard and the prison was used as a debtor's prison. During the reign of Henry VIII, a new prison was built in this area within a brick wall. This was moved and demolished in 1761.
St Alphege Church which was in Lancaster Street until the 1980s. The new church has furniture from the old building.
Leads south-west From St. George's Circus to Lambeth and Lambeth Bridge. Several terraces of c. 1800 houses. Features in films 'Melody’
Barkham London Clinic. Site of Baptist chapel
Upton Baptist Chapel, 1813-14. Demolished 1950. Now merged with Christ Church
St.Saviour 1874/5 cross.
17 Lambeth Walk. This one bar pub has modern interior and a wall frieze, depicting the Pearly Kings. Previously this was the Mesons Arms.
52 Elizabeth Baxter Hostel. Oasis Trust Health Centre for homeless people. It is a Grade II listed building by Mr. Sydney Smirke. Set up as The Royal South London Dispensary in 1821 to provide medical aid to poor sick people. The hostel was founded in 1906 for the welfare of girls and women at risk. Elizabeth Baxter was the wife of the Revd M.P. Baxter who gave tickets to people in desperate need.
98 Late 18th terrace. Stock brick with parapets.
Lambeth public baths built in 1897 and hit by a V2
44 St George's Tavern. Pub opposite the Imperial War Museum. Carved wood mirrored back to the bar. Public and Saloon Bars are separated by a wooden screen with a connecting door.
Lodge a small stucco lodge date 1837 for Bethlehem Hospital.
St Georges Cathedral. RC. Building originally designed by A. W. Pugin and consecrated by Dr Wiseman in 1848 and in 1850. Wiseman was enthroned as the Archbishop of Westminster. In April 1941 the cathedral was badly damaged by fire bombs but some of the original fabric was safe incorporated in the rebuilt structure which opened in July 1958. It is a light brick and Portland stone. The Chantry was designed by Edward Pugin, son of the architect. Chapel of the Blessed Sacrament. Chapel of St. Joseph, and t. Patrick's Chapel, with the only statue that escaped damage in bombing. Petre Chantry, Lady Chapel, with a statue, the cathedral's oldest, of the Virgin Mary. Statue by H.J.Youngman of St. George to whom the cathedral is dedicated.
Bishop's Palace adjoins. Late 19th
The Lambeth Mission at the eastern end of Lambeth Road has a hostel accommodating 85 students, mainly from overseas. Methodist Mission Hostel Joint Anglican-Methodist church
Imperial War Museum. The building was part of the former Bethlem Royal Hospital, or Bedlam, founded in 1247 in the City. The front was the administrative block of Bedlam's third building built in 1815 to designs of James Lewis. extensions of 1837 and 1896 also survive but the patients wings were demolished in the early 1930s, The Dome was added in 1846 designed by Sydney Smirke but rebuilt in the 1970s. It contained the hospital chapel with galleries on cast iron supports but is now a library reading room. The hospital moved to Eden Park in 1926. The Museum collection was founded in 1917 and established by Act of Parliament in 1920. It was at Crystal Palace until 1923 when it moved to the Imperial Institute at South Kensington and in 1936 moved here. The building was bombed and was closed in the Second World War. Outside two fifteen-inch naval guns point out. It has now been refurbished by Ove Arup with a glazed atrium in the middle of the building.
Geraldine Mary Harmsworth Gardens. It opened in 1934. The land was given to the "splendid struggling mothers of Southwark" by Harmsworth, Lord Rothermere in memory of his mother. Soviet War Memorial 1999 by Sergei Shcherbakov to commemorate the loss of 27 million citizens of the former Soviet Union in the Second World War. Tibetan Peace Garden by Hamish Horsley for contemplation and reflection opened 1999 by the Dalai Lama. Copse, a family orchard, a world garden and an Ice Age Tree trail. The Neckinger is said to rise in the front
St.Alfege chapel. Built 1880-2 by Robert Willey. Famous for its extreme Anglo- Catholicism. This was on the corner with King James Street and, is now flats.
Albury and Clandon. London County Council blocks. Staircases with Tudor details. The scale of these early flats should be compared with what the L.C.C. put up shortly afterwards
Danzig Street in Booth but he says late Market Street
A short but busy street of shops that leads to the Elephant and Castle. Modest terraces of the 1820s survive;
South London Palace of Varieties a music hall which was bombed in the Second World War. Built on the site of a chapel for French refugees. The site is now under the college complex.
South London Press. Above the Elephant and Castle tube station now based in Streatham - a local paper founded in 1865
Depot for Bakerloo Line. Repair shops on a 3-acre open site. This was the original repair depot for the Bakerloo opened in 1906.
South Bank Polytechnic. This is what used to be the Borough Polytechnic and the College of Commerce. These buildings are by the G.L.C. Architect's Department Peter Jones and John Weller 1976. Four storeys, the lowest below road level. Inside is a three storey 'street' with offices, students' rooms, etc. on one side and on the other sports hall, library, and auditorium.
Perronet House, eleven storey residential tower block. Built 1969 by Sir Roger Walters commissioned by the Greater London Council.
This area was marshland and used for duck shooting until the 19th hence the street name. Around 1810 it was drained and developed. It became an area for prostitutes and cardsharpers.
Street market which operates every day and has done so since the 19th
5 Waterloo Health Centre
34 Ruby Lounge which was the Spanish Patriot. Corner pub 19th.
114-118 Waterloo Library
121 Camel and Artichoke. This was formerly known as The Artichoke. Pub with a balcony.
127 Thai restaurant. Had above the doors oil jars, dog and pot coalhole cover.
Wellington Mills. Housing Co-operative. Built by the G.L.C. job architect, 1970-6. 138 maisonettes grouped in low ranges round courtyards. The long brick balconies reminiscent of the thirties but are private spaces and not used for access.
Site of Wellington Mills built on some of the Coade works site. Joshua Oakley & Sons manufacturer’s made emery and sand paper, and blacking. etc.
Hole in the Wall. A busy Free House located in railway arches adjacent to Waterloo Mainline railway station.
6 home of Emma Cons and Lillian Baylis, founders of the Old Vic.
A square of Georgian houses which was badly bombed. Infill of modern flats. Past inhabitants include Shelley, Thomas Barnes, editor of The Times 1817- 1841, Lloyd John engineer and millwright
44 Blackfriars Settlement left Nelson Square in 2001, having been based there for over a century. It began as the Women's University Settlement. Alice Gruner worked from here.
44-47 only original buildings
Flats blocks by Southwark Borough Council
Previously called Wellington Street
Wellington Street Gas Works Perhaps built by South London Gas Co. before 1821 or rented by them in 1824. Used as a holder station until the 1870s. The site was taken over by London School Board, and a second school building is now on it.
Named for the Hoe printing press works which stretched along it.
1-5 Blackfriars Settlement, left Nelson Square in 2001, having been based there for over a century. It began as the Women's University Settlement and was set up by women's colleges in London, Cambridge and Oxford. WUS changed its name to Blackfriars Settlement in 1961.
Merrow and Ripley Houses. London County Council houses of 1896/7. . Noteworthy early. By R. M.Taylor of the L.C.C.'s Housing Branch. Only three storeys high, with quirky Arts and Crafts details to the street. See the angular chimney, gables, and big eaves, and on the inside a small friendly court. Plain central staircases and short access balconies.
Academy Costumes in St Alphege House, 1910 by William Bucknall old church
Convent of the Reparation. In other use. A well detailed house in the style of the early c 18, by Walter Tapper, 1911-12.
Chapel behind, in simple Renaissance style, with a pedimented centre to King’s Bench Street
Southwark Bridge Road
235 Pocock House part of University of the South Bank
St Andrew with St Thomas. 1960 by David Nye & Partners. replacement for two churches by Teulon damaged in the war. Gone
St Georges Road
St.Jude Now closed. 1897-9 by W. J. H. Leverton, replacing the Philanthropic Society's Chapel. Simple red brick, Early English. Used as a community centre.
118 Notre Dame Roman Catholic Girls School
Charlotte Sharman Primary School
Prince of Wales Pub
Salvation Army Community Church
It had been St George's Fields, where Gerard collected wild flowers. It is the earliest of the Southwark major road junctions. Six highways radiate from it. In 19th it was used by lay preachers, for archery practice and no popery riots. The Wilkes and Liberty meetings were held here and the Gordon Rioters assembled here. , Methodist preachers and Lunardi's balloon in 1785. Named after St.George the Martyr church. The route from Blackfriars Bridge to Newington Butts was laid out in 1769 by Robert Mylne, surveyor to the Blackfriars Bridge Committee. In the centre of the Circus, was the obelisk dated 1771 but in 1905 it was moved to the outside of Bethlem Hospital. It is in honour of Mayor Brass Crosby who was put in the tower for doing his duty as a magistrate. It was put back in the Circus in 2000.
Offices. Douglas Mamott Worby & Robinson's offices. 1973-5.
The Blackfriars Road end was named Great Charlotte Street – it was a Cut between Blackfriars and Westminster bridges. Also called New Cut at the west end.
66 Young Vic. The idea Dates from the 1960s' ‘spirit of iconoclasm and improvisation’ and it opened in 1970 as a place for younger directors, designers, actors, writers and technicians in productions and at the lowest possible seat prices. Cheap short life theatre. One auditorium with thrust-stage built cheaply with a rough, light-industrial feel. . Refurbished 2007.
Henry Ellwood hat factory to make pith helmets in an Indian design which had been brought back by Lord Napier
36 Anchor & Hope. Comfortable saloons. Handy for the Old and Young Vic theatres.
86 Windmill Tavern. Two-bar pub which gets very busy when the shows at the Old and Young Vic theatres finish.
Southwark College – branch of borough based training college.
Southwark Station. 24th September 1999. Between Waterloo and London Bridge on the Jubilee Line designed by Richard MacCormac and built on a cramped site. The platforms are under the railway viaduct of Waterloo East with is a concourse between them connected at either end. It is effectively a tunnel illuminated by glass and steel "beacons" and faced with stainless steel panels. Stairs go up to a floor in the centre of the tunnel, where escalators go to the concourse above which is has a glass wall, made of 660 pieces of blue glass, designed by Alexander Beleschenko.
Old Vic. It stands where, in the 18th there were open fields full of streams and ponds. Built originally as the Coburg Theatre 1816-18 with a gas works under the stage. It was then notorious for melodrama but the name was changed. Also called Royal Victoria Hall in 1833. In 1880 it was remodelled and taken over by Emma Cons, who turned it into a home for opera and classical plays at popular prices. Her work was continued after 1912 by her niece, Lillian Baylis. She turned it from an alcohol-free music hall into a place for Shakespeare' plays. In 1982 the theatre was relaunched by the Canadian entrepreneur Ed Mirvish. . The sidewall with large blind arches was built as part of the original building by R. Cabanel, 1816. It was remodelled in 1880 by E. Hoole, with a Baroque stucco front and again in 1950 by Douglas Rowntree.
Leading east from Blackfriars Road and parallels the railway. West end was once called Charlotte Street
Joseph Wallis 1860s flute business
202-206 Travel Lodge
Railway bridge on spur line built by SER 1878.
204 Union Theatre/ family run theatre in an old paper warehouse.
243 Lord Nelson
225 The Union Jack
164-180 Paxman. Musical instrument maker and sales. Horn Centre
James Ashby “Embassy Tea and Coffee” and “Rose Brand Fine Teas” signs on the building. The Sculpture Gallery
12-11 Fire Station. built in 1910. Now a restaurant and bar. L.C.C fire station more staid than earlier Arts and Crafts examples,
131 Waterloo Bar. Was also called Baron's Bar.
157/183 Church Mission Society HQ. Built 1964/6. five storey building with a chapel by Ansell & Bailey. Bold lettering on the band between the two. Due for demolition in 2010 as the Society moves to Oxford.
152 Wellington House. Department of Health in David Grieg offices. Built 1928. by Payne Wyatt, preserved in front of a building of 1979-80. Headquarters and storehouse for David Greig, provision merchants.
81 The Wellington
Living space. designed by Lambeth Council’s Design & Technical Services, run by Lambeth Council Children & Young People's Service as a community social enterprise. two-storey glass rotunda, with a café and UK Online centre, and offices of local community organisations. Incorporates solar power and The roof and terrace can collect 156,600 litres of rainwater a year, The roofs of both the rotunda and first floor are covered with a sedum vegetation blanket, and water storage mineral wool drainage reservoir board.
London Ambulance Headquarters. Grey mosaic By the G.L.C. Architect's Department, c. 1970.
Maudsley Building L.C.C flats early 20th.
Old Vic Workshop, by Lyons Israel & Ellis, 1957, with a frame of shuttered concrete, an early example of brutalism.
Union Jack Club. 1907 like an Edwardian Hotel. For soldiers and sailors as a war memorial for South African and Chinese Wars. Brown brick and bronze glazed towers by Fitzroy Robinson & Partners, 1975- 6. The club accommodation is at the back in a twenty-five-storey tower with continuous oriel windows; the office block facing Waterloo Road has a freestanding upright forming a monumental and overpowering portal.
Waterloo Main Line Station
Opened 11th July 1848 It was first called Waterloo Bridge. It is Britain's largest railway station, with 28 platforms including Waterloo (East) and Waterloo and City. It Opened when the line to Woking was opened and extended on from original LSWR terminus at Vauxhall. Some bomb damage. The present building dates mainly from 1900-1922 and was Opened by Queen Mary because King George had a cold. There are earlier remains including the 1885 roof over the ‘Windsor Lines' 16-21 built 1901-22. The engineer J. W. Jacomb Hood was succeeded by A.W. Stumper. the grand Edwardian façade is by J. R. Scott. The steelwork inside is functional, no arches, no wide spaces. Beneath the station is an extensive system of brick tunnel-vaults and ramps down to the Waterloo and City Railway. Rolling stock can be lifted from this line by a hydraulic hoist north of the station.
memorial - Inside the station is a memorial to Herbert A. Walker, General Manager of the LSWR and its successor, the Southern Railway. under the clock are destination plaques of the counties served by the railway and also stained glass coats of arms on office windows
Victory Arch, which commemorates 585 London and South Western Railway employees killed in World War I. This is the main entrance. Plaques around the arch name the battlefields where the men died and in the centre is the LSWR coat of arms. The company's initials are on the lamps.
Taxi Road – the news cinema bridged it in the 1930s.
news cinema 1934 by Alister MacDonald. the auditorium was actually outside the station perimeter wall while the 'show facade' and foyer were inside. The paybox and entrance were on the station concourse. At the top of the stairs was a 245 seat auditorium. resting on stanchions, two in the station and two outside all of them going not only down to the taxi road but down to the viaduct on which the whole station is built. Due to the small of space, the projection box was on the roof and the projection beam was angled down a chute with a transparent screen at the far end which reflected the image back through a mirror.
Waterloo International Station. 1991 by Nicholas Grimshaw and Partners. It has a long, sinuous roof straddling the platforms engineered by YRM Anthony Hunt Associates. Beneath the platforms are the concourse, ticket hall, customs, shopping, etc. Closed.
Waterloo East footbridge. The footbridge leading to Waterloo East is along the line of an old rail link between the LSWR 'Windsor' lines and the SER Junction station.
Signal Box concrete in the International Modern style of the 1930s
Waterloo East Station 1864. Built by South Eastern Railway as Waterloo Junction station when the line was extended from London Bridge to Charing Cross. In 1935 it was renamed Waterloo, in 1977 renamed Waterloo East
Generator station for Waterloo and City Line. Stone-capped chimney.
Waterloo and city Line. Tube link to the Bank opened by LSWR in 1898 Remained in Southern Railway ownership.
Carriages Hoist, for repair facilities for Waterloo and City line trains. as there is no direct rail connection.
Second world war telephone exchange for the bunker system. This was in one of the arches below the platforms 1 to 8. Entry was from a public passage leading to the Waterloo and City Line station. Inside was a passage with half way along it a weir two or three steps high to keep out floodwaters, an armed guard, and a gas lock built into the supporting brickwork. A second gas lock gave access to the battery room and generator room and an exit door to one of the access roads under the station. workshop, where repairs and construction of switchboards and signal box equipment was carried out. Beyond were the mess room and stores for the strategic stocks of vital spares. a further gas lock provided an emergency exit to the lost property office under Waterloo General Offices. The complex was protected by a concrete slab poured into the crown of the arch.
Called Friar Street in Booth. Features in films 'Elephant Juice’.
26 Stage Door. Very handy for the Old Vie – hence the name. Popular with office workers and theatricals. Extensive one-bar Saloon.
57 Bell. Pleasant locals' pub
61 Colorama. Film studios.
63 photographic film studios
6-8 Waterloo Christian Centre. Part of London City Mission
94 Abbey. bar pub also called General Abercrombie. And now offices
Barons Place, new Housing by the Peabody Trust
Flats – London .County .Council 1905 by. R. Stark of the Architect's Department, tall blocks with detailed eaves.
Friars Primary School. built 1963. Single storey building with front and rear garden and a 'large' playground
Hope Mission. Now flats.
The Priory, 1893 now flats. Plaque to Bert Hardy, picture post photographer,
Warehouse and bacon stoves were behind the David Grieg shop on Waterloo Road
Waterloo Film Studios with four sound stages make-up areas and green rooms, and post-production facilities.
1791-4, south side c. 1800-10.
Westminster Bridge Road
100 Perspective building was Century House, matchbox that 1966 -1995, was home to the UK's overseas intelligence agency, or more commonly MI6 now housing and done up a bit.
122 Horse & Groom. Well-decorated, airy, Youngers "free house".
14 Flowers of the Forest. Previously known as the Oxford Arms, the pub was renamed by the landlord when the original Flowers in the Forest closed down in Blackfriars Road. typical Courage wood panelled interior.
199 Florence Nightingale. Large open-plan rotunda style bar on a split level. Designed for the office trade, Closed.
45Peabody Housing head office
61 Morley College founded in 1885. It developed out of the penny lectures at Emma Cons's Old Vic. The present site is 1924 with buildings by Maufe of the 1930s, and t 1958 by Brandon-Jones, Ashton & Broadbent. Wrapped around two sides of these is John Winter's additions of 1973-5.
Canterbury music hall beside Charles Morton’s pub supposed to be first music hall. Large Canterbury Music Hall converted to a cinema in 1927. It was bombed in 1942, and its site is now covered by the Eurostar terminal.
133-135 Crown and cushion
Lambeth North Station. 1905. Between Waterloo and Elephant and Castle on the Bakerloo Line. Baker Street and Waterloo Railway from Baker Street to Kennington Road. 10th March. Opened as Kennington Road as the temporary terminus before Elephant and Castle was opened. Station designed by Leslie Green 1906 Name changed to ‘Westminster Bridge Road’. 1917 Name changed to ‘Lambeth (North)’. Changed to Lambeth North in 1928. Very little original work left and much modernisation in the early 1990s including painting of the façade. Ticket Hall was changed when part of the building was used as a staff training school in the 1930s and some evidence of this remains. Still some Edwardian feel to it. Plaque to ownership of the site by Maudslay. Iron railings and mosaic flooring are original and much tiling in the corridors has been replaced to match the originals.
Methodist chapel. China Terrace 1808. The Lambeth Mission church is shared by St. Mary's Anglican parish. It is on the site of the China Terrace Chapel which replaced Mr. John Edwards' school chapel on Westminster Bridge Road, where Wesley had preached on several occasions.
28 Royal Freemasons School for Girls. A famous building here until 1852 when it moved to Wandsworth
St Paul demolished since 1950, by W. Rogers, 1857.
The chandlery Office centre consisting of three buildings set in a courtyard within the site of Melina Place.
The Morley gallery. opened in 1968 in an old pub adjacent. It has a painting and drawing studio and a print studio on the first, second and third floors.
172 Walrus. Social club
Westminster bridge house. Built for the London Necropolis railway as a station for funeral trains to serve their Brookwood Cemetery. opened in 1854. Three-carriage trains took coffins and mourners from the station to the cemetery.In 1941 the station was bombed and was never re-opened. Now flats
Maudslay Son and Field Works. Henry Maudslay took on the site north of Baylis Road in 1820. The firm became Henry Maudslay & Co, which later Maudslay, Field & Co, when he took Joshua Field as his partner, and subsequently Maudslay, Sons & Field which it remained as successive sons and grandsons took over. He developed machinery and standardised screws and other parts, and constantly made use of the micrometer. He supplied to other engineering establishments lathes, planning, slotting and drilling machines and also developed steam powered marine engines. He fostered tgalent among a generation of British mechanical engineers. Two of his sons became partners in the business, and his great-grandson, Reginald Walter Maudslay was one of the pioneers of the British motor industry, established the Standard Motor Co at Coventry in 1903.