London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
this post has not been checked, edited or finished
South of Lessness Heath was the Bedon Stream,
306-320 Two adjacent groups of farm workers houses c.1894,impressive, each group having fine end gables.
Baptist Mission chapel
V2 attack February
1945 Overhead electricity lines brought down in Bedonwell Road. 5 killed, 62
injured. 4.34 pm
Council housing. Name of old house
struck on 8 February 1945. At noon one person was killed and 82 injured.
Little Heath Road
Earl Haig. Built by Charringtons 1936.
Because of Second World War, huts for bombed out families.
Baptist church, 1805, older foundation,
Shops replaced in 1963, Library in 1964,
39 Royal Standard,
Lessness Heath Primary School
Orchard area of Dixon's Farm built up by Freakes and
Richards in 1930s,
Area west of Lessness Heath.Built up from 1882. another
tract of common which meant that heathland stretched almost continuously as far
as Bostall Heath.
Tyndale Preparatory School
West Heath Recreation Ground opened by Minister of Health
open land was retained to the west of the West Heath House until 1924, when it
too was sold for building development, and Westergate Road was made
The West Heath was sold for
development in 1882, and the large houses formerly fronting Woolwich Road
between Belvedere and Bostall were built.
West Heath House, where the one-time owner General Hulse was
visited by George IV, still survives in modified form in Woolwich Road. In
later years the property belonged to the Seth-Smith family, but for many years until
1921 the house was occupied by Sir Tom Callender of cable fame. The house had
extensive coach houses and stables, in which were kept the horses for a local
hunt. Part of the stables was converted into a bungalow which still remains.
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by
Phillibrook Stream The Phillibrook, or Fillebrook, comes through this area and flows south west Post to the west Leyton Post to the south Leytonstone Post to the east Wanstead - Golf course and basin A12 Section through Leytonstone opened in 1999 as the Hackney-M11 link road Aylmer Road. London City Mission . Building dates from 1885. It was later a clothing factory Browning Road This was Back Lane which went from the High Road to the Forest. Also known as Green Man Lane and in 1893 as Park Road. It became Browning Road in 1900 Cottages built by Lord Wellesley, probably in the 1840’s, to house the workforce which serviced local big houses. 24 North Star . Built as a 'beer house by Lord Wellesley. It was originally two cottages knocked together and first referred to in 1858. There was an off-sales serving hatch. It is either named after a famous steamship or famous train or a ship which an early landlord sailed on. Henry Reynolds Gardens . This is a small park n