Plaistow - Barking Road & Greengate Street South
this post is not finished and not edited or checked
Post to the
Post to the east West Ham Station
Leisure Centre Glowering alongside monstrous swimming pool which superseded A. Saxon Snell’s Plaistow Baths.
317 Canning Town Cinema Hall/K,, 1915-1957 now a shop 6,
West Ham (Baptist) Central Mission, 1921-2 by William Hayne.
The theatre next door began as a Baptist Church
Glory House, an independent Pentecostal church in a large group of cream-painted buildings, converted in 1997. earlier Baptist church of 1876, predecessor to Central Mission, funded by Duncan, a Silvertown sugar refiner. It was originally set back from the road with steps up to two large porches which flaunt a large round-headed window. This building is now subdivided as church offices; the present entrance is at the end of the foyer leading to the church seating c. 1000, in a vast, plain converted warehouse.
Plaistow Police Station, 1912 by John Butler, the domestic concerns of earlier stations now overridden by increasing scale.
Abbey Arms very large. 1882 for Taylor Walker & Co., their name inscribed there. Bars with surviving ironwork.
310 Fairbairn Hall It was remodelled by de Soissons and G. Grey Wornum and there was a commemorative tablet by Eric Gill.. There was also a cafe with decorative work by Miriam Wornum and Ronald Grierson and a galleried gymnasium. An upper floor containing theatre, chapel and workshop was added in 1939 by Philip G. Freeman. The Pethick Lawrences were married there. This is now under the Trinity Gardens flats 461 Fairbairn Hall and Keir Hardie Hall. Women’s Settlement became Lawrence Hall
The Greengate rebuilt in 1953-4. Its sign of a bucolic scene, quite divorced from the grimy reality
Essex Lodge. Now Essex Lodge Surgery. A c gabled cottage orne of 1836, Tudor style with hoodmolds and decorative bargeboards. attached to the rear of the three-storey front block, and entirely disguised, is a two-storey timber-frame structure of the c16 with jettied upper floor and queen-strut roof with arched wind braces: an almost unique survival in Newham. The 1830s part contains older fragments, including, a 1700 shell hood. Inside, a stone chimneypiece with elongated voussoirs and keystone perhaps cut down from an early door case and which bears the crest of the Willyams family, which suggest these fragments may have been salvaged from their residence Essex House, which stood nearby. A new wing added for a surgery by Freeman Ankerman Hickling, 1994, the rest over-vigorously restored.
Wall of Essex House, pulled down 1831 and Essex Lodge built.
West Ham Tramways offices. 1905-6 by John Morley, Borough Engineer, in his trademark Free Style of brick with stone banding and terracotta dressings. Tall and narrow, two big arched windows in the ground floor with shaped gables. The depot lay to the rear.
Memorial to its employees, a plinth with a small obelisk under a flat canopy on four columns.
Plaistow Red Triangle Club, raised up on steps. Erected in 1920-1 by Thomas Brammall Daniel as a youth hostel for the YMCA and YWCA. Steel frame, clad in pale brick with glazed faience. Prominent centre flanked by tall windows. Vaguely Art Nouveau detail, but with lavish ornament. American in spirit, perhaps explained by Daniel having much of his early career there. The facade also serves as Plaistow’s War Memorial, with decorative emblems of the great powers
For Luke Howard
17 Duke of Edinburgh
Alludes to Gordon's famous expedition in 1884, roads in Ilford and remind us of the culmination of that disastrous campaign.
Plaistow Fire Station, 1931 by Arthur Roe, Deputy Architect and T. V. Griffiths Borough Surveyor.
Newham Sixth Form College. Adapted from the buildings of the former Plaistow municipal secondary school of 1926-30.
St Philip and St James, 1954-5 by. Harold Gibbons. On an corner site, contemporary with rebuilt housing of the area.
Hall, also by Gibbons and contemporary with the church repeating the patterned tiling under the eaves. Single room with low vestibule at the front entered through an arch.
Small hall added 1960 by PJ. Tucker. Improved entrance and landscaped courtyard planned by Ronald Wylde Associates.