London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
this post is not finished and not edited or checked
7 open denehole entered through the
roots of a tree
11, Small depression in corner of rear garden. Almost
certainly a denehole.
320 acre hill top wood was once part of the Mount Mascal Estate and in1956 it was acquired by the Forestry
Commission and in 1987 the wood
and the plantation were purchased by the Woodland Trust who also gained
commoners rights in exchange for land taken for the A2 trunk road. The name
comes from William Jordayne, a16th
Dartford resident, - and the wood has also been called ‘Jordans’.over 240 species of plants, 50 different
fungi, 270 species of moth, 58 species of birds in or over thewood, many butterflies and insects,
plus a small number of animalsand reptiles
have been noted.Forestry Commission which clearedmuch
of the area and planted Corsican Pine, Larch, Maple andWestern Hemlock for commercial purposes . Later, horse rides wereestablished to separate riders and walkers..
craters from the Second World War
Deneholes. in the
1880s Spurrell made a map of Joydens Wood and plotted the locations of the
shafts. He descended many of them and made drawings of some, writing
"Deneholes and Caves with artificial entrances" published in the
Archaeological Journal. there are Roman remains in the woods and some of the
pieces of pottery found their way down the shafts and Spurrell also claimed
that fragments of human bone had been found. His map
however showed that the shafts were nearly always associated with ancient the
earthworks often next to them.They are associated with mediaeval field systems
which pre date the square earthwork. Of the 120 deneholes noted by
Spurrell only 5 remained by 1966 and later there were only 2. Some of them
including the square enclosure in the north east portion are
now under a housing estate and were excavated in 1958.. The date of construction of the deneholes is
therefore before 1280 and a date of around 1250 is suggested.
square earthwork located a few
hundred meters to the west. Excavations here found the footings of buildings
dated 1280 to 1320, and are thought to be part of the lost mediaeval manor of
Ocholt. Ocholt was held, with Baldwyns, by Lesnes Abbey in the
Earth banks excavated by H.A. Hogg. It was
wartime and he seems to have laboured alone, shifting many tons of earth and
drawing beautiful sections. He found that the bases of the banks were chalk and flint,
while pottery gave evidence of the enclosures being built around 1250 to 1300.
As noted above there is a discernable correlation between these earth banks and
the deneholes. So that some of the excavations may be contemporary with the
earth bank construction.
Memorial posts in Summerhouse Drive area
Tump with Woodland Trust plaques
Faesten Dic adefensive earthwork,Anglo Saxon, dated at about 450 AD. this ancient defensive ditch that crosses north to south and it is
thought ditches like this marked the frontier of the last Roman power base in
London and there was also local tribal warefare at the time it was constructed.
The name means ‘The Strong Rampart’and
it goes across a sandy gravel slope of the Cray valley. It is 1.67 km long and
is a series of connected zig zag ditches.There is a layer of gravel on the east side of the dyke which may be a
military walk way.
Hollow Way – reference to an old
road through the wood running north-south.
Roundhouses – sites of two iron age roundhouses have been
identified plus four post granaries.
site of the City of Caswallonoccupying
this and Rowhill Woods. They were a tribe of Celts called the Cassii.
Entrance to the wood – Horticultural hut there
Kissing gate and electricity transformer
Denehole said to have been utilised by a
'self build' housing group as a storm drain. The shaft was 460 yards east of the Summer House.
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by