Plaistow High Street
this post is not finished and not edited or checked
Its name is corruption of Balun, a family recorded in Plaistow from the cl2. Its once fashionable status is now long forgotten, although. One side is open to the featureless Plaistow Park. . The rest is a mixture of dilapidated Victorian shops mixed with 1950s housing, which is over a large area to the around the churches.
42-4. Of the Georgian terraces that once lined Balaam Street only these survive . Owned by the Franciscan Society of Compassion since the 1890s.
Coach and Horses. Here by 1742 but rebuilt in the 19th. Pub is now closed.
The road continues as an avenue of lesser houses of similar date.
Chesterton House. The late Georgian residence of the Quaker meteorologist Luke Howard, The house was demolished in 1960 A fragment survives of a scheme, laid out in its gardens for a crescent of paired stucco villas.
All Saints, church for the deaf and dumb
1 Will Thorne
Used to be Cordwainers Lane. Leather industry.
1920 Day Continuation Institution compulsory for some but other authorities did not do it & they had to make it voluntary. 1933 amalgamated with other Institution- Lister Institute
Curwen Press. Tonic Solfa Press. Invented by John Curwen. 1862 music printing specialist
7 Meeting House. 1936 council school. Pillars from Wanstead House in the portico. Bits of original building in it
Plaistow Library 1902-3 by S.B. Russell. Single storey, in brick with concave inset corners banded. A reduced, le version of Russell's design for the Passmore Edwards Museum in Romford Road The borough has no money, therefore Passmore Edwards paid - his 73rd library. Memorial stone laid by Asquith 1902. Opened by A.Carnegie, as a result Carnegie gave £5,000 for Custom House library
Everest and Co., confectionery, taken over by Brown and Polson
Upton Manor estate in 1866
Hudson’s estate, Hudson’s Road and Ireland Estate, Denmark Street
Globe Picture Palace 1908-1915
Exclusively post-war and with little feeling of a centre except for a
Shops short, covered parade of shops
Richmond Court, a fifteen-storey block of flats
Bit of old wall part of monk’s garden before the dissolution. Plaistow means ‘play place’. Gardiner Street in 1527
Post office from 1897
59 Black Lion. Originally a 16th coaching inn.A physical reminder of old Plaistow and thus set in the last hamlet before reaching the City -‘un-pub like but put together with flair and there you are, it has gone back to the fountainhead of human pubbiness inside’. It was recorded in 1742 but rebuilt in 1875 and a new frontage later added and altered again in 1892. It is a two-bay house with a cranked gable and tiled four-bay section and a window, perhaps of 1875. The range beyond is early and connects the carriageway to the yard. The stable block remain has become West Ham Boys and Amateur Boxing Club. There is an unusual long, curved bar counter in the public bar and the old bottle collection in the other. the name refers to the badge of Queen Phillipa, queen of Edward III.
Postman’s Office, behind it an old barn pulled down for the sewer
Partly created from land vacated by the tram depot.
Playarc. A generic play centre designed by Hawkins Brown, 1991 as a self-contained unit,
John Slater and Son, silk weaver 1882. Became Baily Fox until 1943
Richmond House, Duke of Richmond, iron gate was sent to the US, Dick Turpin lived there when he was the servant of a farmer Jeyes sanitary compounds, 1879
Central Cinema/Plaza 1913-1940
Hospital, Built 1899-1902 as a fever Hospital, by Edwin T. Hall. Hot red brick with dressings and ornament by James Stiff & Sons. Pavilion plan of ward blocks, originally with open elements. The essential element of separation (which included no access between floors within the individual blocks) is now rendered scarcely visible by progressive enlargement and later additions. The Nurses' Home has a cut brick panel of the West Ham Borough arms.
Mineral water manufacturer Thomas Curno 1890-1961
St Mary’s Church lot of philanthropic work and team of nurses in the 1880s. church demolished 1976.
Church House, was Pond House
A pedestrian footpath from Bow to Beckton following the line of Bazalgette Northern Outfall Sewer. Greenway - look out for Danewort
St.Mary’s Hospital for women & children founded by the Vicar of Plaistow patron. Money Settlement. Started clinic and nursery in 1886. New building 1893. 1946 improved
Upton Lane/ Plashet Road
West Ham Electricity show room.
Lodge of big house 1840 thatched roof replaced