Broomhouse and Hurlingham

 this post has not been hecked or edited

Broomhouse Lane

Broomhouse Lane seems to date from at least the medieval period when there was a small hamlet in the area. This was surrounded by meadows and there was a warren belonging to the Bishops of London

The Elizabethan Open Air School. In 1855 Laurence Sulivan, established a Ragged School for the children of his estate workers.  He built a Gothic Revival building in Broomhouse Lane and called it the Elizabethan Schools, after his late wife Elizabeth. It was designed by Horace Francis with flats for the schoolmaster and schoolmistress and two almshouses. It is symmetrical with a central black brick diaper patterned tower. In 1920 the London County Council bought the building as an open air school to use for delicate, particularly tuberculous, children.  By 1948 the building old with only gas lighting – and thus no electricity for a radio - and two cold draughty rooms. There were two open-air huts and a building for a kitchen and dining room.  The toilets were in the playground. The School had three classes divided into ages. Gradually new drugs meant less need for open air treatments and the school closed in 1960. The building then became a youth club which closed itself in 2007. The building was sold by Hammersmith & Fulham Council for £4m and it now has planning permission to convert into housing. On the Daisy Lane frontage is a stonework shield with an inscription '1855'.

Parsons Green Club. This was founded in 1885, and moved here in the 1920s.  The club had begun as the Ray of Hope coffee house founded by Miss Sulivan.  Various sports facilities were opened on a field at the north end of the road. When Miss Sullivan died there was a dispute on her will and the club lost their clubhouse.  In 1912 Hurlingham Club offered to swap the land at the north end in return for a site south of Daisy Lane. This was agreed and a new clubhouse was built along with new sporting facilities. Since then facilities have expanded, although limited by the two world wars and the council’s purchase of the cricket and golf areas. The site is now being reconfigured and a new club house is due to open in 2017.

Broom House. From 1823 this was the home of the philanthropic Sulivan family including Laurence Sulivan, who was Palmerston’s brother-in-law.   This 18th house was demolished in the early 1900s and became part of the Hurlingham Club grounds along with its notable garden. The site of the house appears to be marked by terraces to the east of Hurlingham Club House.

Carnworth House. This stood at the south eastern end of the road was originally called Lonsdale House, having begun as a cottage in the 18th with several well connected residents including  In the early 19th members of Lonsdale family. This continued with society and political leaders and by the late 19th the Earl of Carnwath.

Carnwath road

Broomhouse dock. Broom House draw dock is an ancient access to the river, dating from the Middle Ages

 92-116 Baltic Sawmills, this is a development of flats and this is the developers name for them

106-113 Jewson. Building supplies

74-86 Hitchcock King, timber merchant

Broomhouse Laundry. This was present in the late 19th and early 20th

25 Carnwath Industrial Estate. Includes Howdens, Timber wholesaler and joiners

Petrofina wharf petroleum storage depot

Reinforced concrete works 1950s

Xyz wharf 1950s

Hurlingham Wharf. This was a cement works in the 1960s.  In use for the Tideway Tunnel, It is a safe-guarded wharf

Tideway Tunnel. `The main tunnel will run from here to Acton Storm Tanks. The site here will include an above ground ventilation building with a ventilation column and a below ground main tunnel shaft, with access openings, 

Whiffin Wharf. This is part of the Thames Tideway site. In 1854 a London pharmacist, Thomas Whiffen became part of a small firm manufacturing chemicals in the Borough. In 1868 he moved the business to Battersea. They made poisons and alkaloids from imported raw materials.  In 1887 they moved to Southall and took over the Aldersgate Chemical Works and some other companies.  The Aldersgate Chemical Works were later based here from 1923 as a leading British Chemical company. . In 1947 it was acquired by Fisons Limited.

Gravel pit 1914

Mead wharf 1960s

Watson house—is this now energie

St John’s wharf this is a road to the river 1960s

United wharf 1960s

Trinidad wharf

West wharf metropolitan asylums board

Table waters works

Claytons wharf

Christiana wharf

Town mead wharf

Malt house north side behind pub at east end

Victoria wharf 1914

Corrison works 1950s

Trogon wharf  1950s

Wandsworth bridge wharf 1950s

Riverside wharf 1960s now the trading estate on Wansdworth bridge road

Daisy Lane

De Morgan road

Pottery

Dymoke

 Street

Greer Street

Hamble Street

Hugon road

Hurlingham Square

Hurlingham club

Hurlingham Farm Cottage, 1873

Hurlingham House. A gentleman’s retreat built by William Cadogan, surgeon, in 1760.  Later, the home of John Horsley Palmer, a governor of the Bank of England and later the Duke of Wellington’s brother. It is a plain three-bay, three-storey house of brown brick flanked by additions made by George Byfield in 1797-8 for John Ellis who transformed the river frontage into a white stucco-faced mansion in Nash's grand manner. A service wing and stables formed the sides of what is now the entrance courtyard.  More work was carried out for the club by Lutyens c.1906-12. Interiors dated from Byfield's time but there have been many additions. A conservatory was demolished after war damage. It is the only survivor among the Georgian mansions which once fringed this part of the river, insulated by its grounds, still spacious, though less extensive than before the Second World War.

Hurlingham Club. Since 1869 the house was the Hurlingham Club, founded initially for pigeon shooting but later famous for polo – when it became the headquarters of the British game. Polo ended here in 1939 and the sport is now based in Oxfordshire. The Garden is a 40-acre 'country-house' garden with lawns mainly laid to bowls, croquet and tennis

Peterborough Road

Watson House.  British Gas Offices and Laboratories 1961-3 by E.R. Collister & Partners, an enterprising effort to brighten an indifferent industrial area. Six-storey curtain-walled slab with blue spandrels, with low projecting exhibition wing on stilts, faced with a cheerful coloured abstract relief in polyester resin and glass, designed by John Piper and made by Gillespie & Mamerolli Associates.  

Hurlingham academy

St Thomas school Fulham

Piper building

South Park

Stephenson road

Sullivan Court

Sullivan Court on the former No. 2 polo ground of the Hurlingham Club.  Ot os aa estate of 432 flats built in , 1949-56 by the Fulham Borough Housing Department under J. Pritchard Lovell.

The estate has been had 432 flats disposed in L-shaped blocks of mainly 3- to 5-storeys set in a spacious, informal landscape  The land was once known as Hurlingham Field by the C18th there were villas as well as meadows and nursery gardens.

Hurlingham House built in 1760 for Dr William Cadogan who leased from the Bishop of London. John Ellis enlarged with Humphry Repton landscaping, the Hurlingham estate was sold to George O'Brien Wyndham 3rd Earl of Egrement, who in 1820 sold it to John Horsley Palmer Governor of the Bank of England, and he let it to the Duke of Wellington's brother.

Richard Naylor in 1867 gave permission to Frank Heathcote to use the grounds for pigeon shooting matches byThe Gun Club of London ,. Hurlingham became a popular and fashionable venue, and Heathcote founded the Hurlingham Club as a country resort. The Club in 1874 bought the freehold pigeon shooting continued until 1905 whe the main activity was polo, a sport that had originated in Persia before being played in India, coming to England in 1869. The first polo match was played here in 1874, watched by the Prince and Princess of Wales, and Hurlingham become the game's headquarters for the British Empire. Tennis played in 1877 and a lawn racquet ground was provided in the 1880s, and croquet in c.1900.

enlarged in 1879 by Mulgrave House, demolished in 1927, and its grounds including its lake. Broom House acquired by the Club in 1912 and No. 2 Polo Ground was on the site of Sulivan Court Estate. Lutyens engaged as architect pavilions.1906-12, and half-timbered lodge by Broomhouse Lane. IN the Great War became the base for Yeomanry and an RNAS balloon detachment. In the 1930s an outdoor swimming pool, squash courts and bowling facilities were added and a 9-hole golf course. In hr Secibd wrld War used as quarters for the Army and Air Force and an anti-aircraft battery and balloon barrage unit were based here, with the main polo ground turned over to allotments. the LCC compulsorily purchased the Club's polo grounds in order to provide Hurlingham Park and Fulham Borough Council purchased No. 2 Polo Ground for Sulivan School and housing at Sulivan Court Estate.

Sullivan estate. This covers the second polo ground

Sullivan Road

Sullivan enterprise centre

50 bathstore big block

Townmead road

Wandsworth Bridge Road

Site of Townmead Road small hospital for small pox hospital 1876. Then West Wharf - to the east market gardens until the gasworks.

Grove House here - The Grove - Sandford Manor across Stanley Bridge.

St.Matthew. Nasty and built by son of Bishop of London. 

Townmead estate

Sources

Catalyst. Web site.

Fulham and Hammersmith History Society.  Buildings to see in Hammersmith and Fulham

Hasker. The Place that is called Fulanham­

London’s Ghost Acres. Web site

London Metropolitan Archive. Web site

Lost Hospitals of London. Web site

Parsons Green Club. Web site

Pevsner and Cherry. North West London

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South Norwood

Bromley by Bow

Phillibrook Stream - Leytonstone