this post is not finished and not edted or checked
Bonneville School LSB 1905.
Back along South Side there are lesser Georgian houses of different dates. once had a succession of large Georgian mansions, but little remains.
Henry Thornton school ,1965-9 by Farmer & Dark. The dominant motif, deliberately different from the usual run of school buildings of the 1960s, is the rapid rhythm of the narrow arched window panels in a concrete frame. Contrasting red brick staircase towers. The building has not worn well.
44 a small villa of c. 1820, set back.
53 once a fine three-bay house of c. 1780. Good Venetian window behind a garage.
Wlndmill Inn of c. 1790 forms part of a little enclave on the common.
78 dated 1888, is well endowed with gables, in the tile-hung Norman Shaw manner.
14 Alexandra Hostel. 1866, with large slate-covered domed roof with crest- ing, and polychrome brick detail
third milestone; 1745.
Montrose Court Hotel
1825 Thomas Cubit. Not completed until 1850s because of financial and property slide. laid out with large detached mansions in their own grounds by Thomas Cubitt, the great builder. He bought the estate in 1825, but it was not fully built up until the 1850s-60s. It was one of the most fashionable areas in South London in the mid c19. The main roads are Poynders Road-Atkins Road, crossed by Clarence Avenue and Kings Avenue. Cubitt's own house was in Clarence Avenue. This and most of the other houses have gone.
Southern Motor Co.
Cubit himself lived here – house demolished
After 1965 redevelopment by Lambeth Council, in a different mode three of Lambeth's earliest tower blocks, polygonal with projecting bay-windows, 1966-7.
group of 'quad' houses four back-to-back houses in a cluster, an experimental type of the 1970s;
Clifton an old people's home, low patio houses and flats behind, with a doctor's surgery, a pleasantly varied group completed in 1970 which makes use of a tiny Cubitt remnant perhaps a gardener's cottage as a warden's house
Glenbrook Primary 1949/54 post-war schools is one of the standardized industrial buildings put up by ILEA. immediately after the Second World War, an attractive example which has worn well: 1949-54, job architect L. Pemberton.
Clapham Library 1887 site completed and opened 1889 by Lubbock.
modest flats by W. H. Beesley, early post-war housing for Wandsworth Council.
1 'dell' garden inspired by Arthur Rackham.
73 South Side. old games room of Eagle House.
Some lesser survivors of the Cubitt estate
St.James. church 1857 by N. F. Cachemaille Day, replacing a proprietary chapel of 1829 by Vulliamy, enlarged 1870-1 by F. J.& H. Francis and destroyed in the Second World War.
72 Former residence surrounded by garages and workshops in late 1920's . In 1946 - 59, the chassis of some 2000 custom-built Allard sports cars were assembled here. The firm eventually closed in 1977.
11 Modest little factory, at the rear, spoilt by additions. 1911 for the Direct Supply Aerated Water Co., who had fizzed off by the early 1920's.
127 Clapham Park School for the partially sighted with lots of natural light. 1967-9, architect Peter Banting
St.Michaels Convent Park Hill. plain chapel of 1939 and older house which is a stuccoed villa on top of a hill in its own grounds. Built for William Leaf, a London draper. later owner. Sir Henry Tate. At the end of the terrace a summer house overlooking ground sloping down to a small lake with a grotto. summer house of rustic branches, and a Gothic ruin,; octagonal tower.
Maternity Home 1920 memorial to first world war
Part of original Cubit development
Oaklands estate 1936 London County Council flats
13 Home of the Rt. Hon. Arthur Henderson, pioneer Labour politician, Home and Foreign Secretary, a local preacher and National President of the Brotherhood Movement. Plaque erected 1980.
The Clapham Orangery. Listed Grade II. Orangery of 1793 in Palladian style, now in the middle of a housing estate. designed by Dr William Burgh of York in 1793, once a handsome building with Ionic columns, Coade stone capitals, and pediment.