London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
Drinking fountain at Harland Road
junction. Horse trough and basin, inscription about ‘A drop of cold water in
Fire hydrant iron pavement cover. Made by Stantonwith Thames Water logo
Burnt Ash Hill
test centre 4 very early centre;
Rev Charles Prest. President of
Methodist Conference Home
South Lee Tabernacle
117 Crown large Young’s pub
Horn Park Farmhouse site on the
junction with Alnwick Road
Horn Park Estate.
on former EItham Palace parkland from 1936. Many houses have 'mock Tudor'
gables. Estate built partly to
rehouse hutment tenants
Part of old palace estate made into a
farm. Farm once owned by Woods of Crockenhill
Private development from the 1930s
Colfe’s School. There since 1964.Founded by Rev. Abraham Colfe in 1652 in
Lewisham with the Leathersellers' Company.Independent from 1977.
The 12th manor is a
bulge in the Eltham Palace boundary so ‘Horn’ may refer to this shape. Called
‘West Horne’ and consisted of 345 acres enclosed in the 15th. In
1481 there was a park keeper with a moated lodge, dairy, barn, stable and
orchard.By the 17th it was
no longer a park but a farm.In 1860
bought by Thomas Blenkiron for grazing racehorses.Orchards planted in the 19thbut the lease ran out in 1930 and
development followed.Woolwich Council
built on the site of the orchards but was halted because of the Second World
War – some prefabs remained there a long time.
Area of park trees all felled for the
Navy.Once a fruit farm.
Old pond railed off as a nature
There is a small shopping centre
and from here a lane leads to footbridge (the only structure pre-dating the
estate) across the railway line, which ruins in a cutting through the estate.
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by
Phillibrook Stream The Phillibrook, or Fillebrook, comes through this area and flows south west Post to the west Leyton Post to the south Leytonstone Post to the east Wanstead - Golf course and basin A12 Section through Leytonstone opened in 1999 as the Hackney-M11 link road Aylmer Road. London City Mission . Building dates from 1885. It was later a clothing factory Browning Road This was Back Lane which went from the High Road to the Forest. Also known as Green Man Lane and in 1893 as Park Road. It became Browning Road in 1900 Cottages built by Lord Wellesley, probably in the 1840’s, to house the workforce which serviced local big houses. 24 North Star . Built as a 'beer house by Lord Wellesley. It was originally two cottages knocked together and first referred to in 1858. There was an off-sales serving hatch. It is either named after a famous steamship or famous train or a ship which an early landlord sailed on. Henry Reynolds Gardens . This is a small park n