London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
this post is not finished and not edted or checked
All Saints Church, 1904-6 by Temple Moore. Built through a bequest from Lady Charles
Brudenell-Bruce in memory of her husband, the first Marquess of Ailesbury. The
church is the centrepiece of the L.C.C.'s Totterdown Fields Estate.
Graveney School LSB
1898 Notable examples of the symmetrical, three-decker
later design, with giant arches in terracotta. The school is a merger of
Furzedown Secondary School and Ensham School.
Relatively recent name referring to gorse on the common.
Marked as ‘Furze Down’ on the Ordnance Survey map of 1876, that is ‘down on
which furze or gorse grows', from Middle English ‘furse’. Local records from
the 17th century refer to the cutting of furze for fuel by the inhabitants of Tooting on
the common land here. Furzedown (east of Tooting).
Furzedown Training College. The core is a large plain
mansion Furzedown House 1794 and later enlarged, which once stood in its own
grounds here. It was bought in 1862 by Philip Flower and
altered by James Knowles, Sen. in 1862-7. Five-bay front with cornice and
parapet. Conservatory of c. 1865 on the side with a barrel-vaulted glass
roof.Bought by the LCC in 1915 and
turned into a teacher training college. Additions for the college leave some exotic
c19 planting. The new buildings are by L. Manasseh and Partners, 1961-5.
Tooting Library William
Lancaster Hope gave it. Ballet. Memorial to the Rev.Anderson, 1902 ext.
1908. And plaque to Alderman. In addition, clock about his work.
Furzedown estate.Wandsworth Borough Council.In
the 1920s this was the council’s largest interwar estate.
St.Paul’s church 1925
Recreation ground provided by Wandsworth Council.
Furzedown Project opened by Dr.Norman Levinson as a
meeting place for older people.
former hospital. A stately brick neo-Georgian front on a grand scale. Built as
Tooting College for St Joseph's R.C. College, Clapham in 1887-8 by William
Harvey; later used as an old people's home before becoming
a hospital. It was built in the grounds of Hill House, a mid c18 country house
which survived in Rectory Lane until replaced by a nurses' home c. 1961. Mr. Hill was going to build a
workhouse but the Vestry cancelled it.Used the building for a mansion and became the house of St. Benedict's
Hospital.Transferred to London County
Council from Wandsworth Board of Guardians
St.Andrew's Court.General Fairfax there.
Penworthy Primary School. Notable examples of the symmetrical, three decker turreted
Furzedown Secondary, has a big Baroque centrepiece of c. 1910, with rusticated brick
surround to a large window. Good additions gymnasium and
science blocks by Trevor Dannatt & Partners, 1965-7-
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by