West Ham (Plaistow)
This post is not finished and has not been edited or checked
Railway bridge site is centre of Abbey
Electricity sub station is site of burial ground, burials removed when it was built. NE of this is scheduled ancient monument, waste ground with medieval buildings covered in fly tipping.
Pre-historic burial of a horse
Abbey. The abbey buildings were east of what was Adam and Eve Road (originally a right angled northwards arm of Abbey Lane) in the crook of the bend, Stratford Langhorne Abbey, or the Abbey of St Mary's. This was a Cistercian monastry founded in 1135. It was one of the largest Cistercian abbeys in England with 1,500 acres of land, and 20 Essex manors. It was a daughter house of Savigny Abbey. The Abbey church included a presbytery, and chapels and was surrounded by buildings for lay brothers and hospitality. There were workshops for brewing, shearing, weaving and a tannery with farm buildings. In 1267 the Abbey was used by Henry III for visits by Papal legates and it was here that the Dictum of Kenilworth was agreed. At the dissolution it was the fifth largest Abbey in England and the land was handed to Peter Meautas. Nothing visible remains on the site. By 1840, the railway had been built through the site, and factories were built here and now the Jubilee Line depot. Recent archaeology had identified some elements of the Abbey. 674 burials were reburied in Leicestershire. the Abbey gatehouse has been identified of the Abbey - to the north east of the Abbey Church and defining the eastern edge of the precinct. This area, where former council stables were situated, is now protected from further development status and a major community garden designed by artists Karen Guthrie and Nina Pope has been created on the site by the "Friends of Abbey Gardens"
South of it in 1983, British Rail engineers found bricks in the cutting. Also, found north east chancel wall and north transept of the abbey church. Great deal more detail in the article.
Adam and Eve pub was there when it was built. In the garden in 1759 was found a stone coffin. Pub is the site of conventual church. North Woolwich railway crossed this garden and more burials were found then.
West Ham chemical works James Childs. Vitriol 1866-1880. Then taken over by Bacon and Co until 1917.
Riverine site. The Site was the site of the former Abbey Mills Chemical Works. The origin of these works can be traced back to the mid 1860s with the leasing of two acres of the site to Thomas Bell, a manufacturer of superphosphates, who required the area to produce sulphuric acid. Historical mapping for 1869 show three distinct works alongside the west boundary adjacent to the Channelsea River; a naptha works, oil and stearine works and a chemical works. Even at this early time the Site was isolated in its setting by railway lines to the south and east.
West Ham Abbey Print Works Site a large single storey shed has been revealed by excavation. Marked as Dye House- on one mid-nineteenth century map. The large shed was erected in' 1891 by the Patent Victoria Stone Company Ltd later used for paper for the Daily Mirror. The stone could be used for building. Large concrete steeping tanks have been unearthed works taken over by 1840. The Abbey Print Works
Saul Harrison. Rag recycled cloths. Plant included a huge rag washing machine
Unexploded bombs 13 Western Road and 49 Barons Road
Coates printing ink from 1883-1937
Stirling chemical works. f. 1856 by Dunn Squires and Co. Leased by Thomas Tyler in 1891 and associated with Albright and Wilson, taken over by them in 1940s Dunn & Co, Hydrochloric acid 1885. Thomas Tyrer & Co. 1876. Taken over by Spencer Dunn and William Heathfield and later became Thos Tyrer. Squire and Messel developed contact process for sulphuric acid. (1922) Tyrer trained at the Royal College of Chemistry under Hoffmann; after he left the College he became works chemist to May and Bajer and ultimately a partner in that firm. He devoted most of his energy and attention to the Society of Chemical Industry, with Abel, G. E. Davis, Roscoe, and Blond, and was one of its founders.1890 He acquired the business of Dunn & o manufacturing chemists of Stratford, which he continued as Tyrer and Co. 1896-7 He was President of the Society of Chemical Industry. 1907 He was Chairman of the British Pharmaceutical Conference.Manufacturing chemists owe much to hs zeal and energy
11 King’s Head, recorded from 1765, rebuilt 1885
Angel. Muskets. Site of 12th century monastery. In grounds of Cistercians. Poster on the wall. Bollards for the Local Board. Ex timber framed building of the 16th or 17th century rebuilt in 1910
Star Picture Palace, 1910-1914, demolished
New Plaistow Road
Plaistow Press went there in 1955 when Plaistow Road works demolished. Had been Whitell Press founded in 1901 by the Society of Divine Compassion
1939 linking West Ham village and Plaistow Road, part of development scheme
Plaistow Station. 31st March 1858. Between West Ham and Upton Park on the District and Hammersmith and City Lines. Built by the London, Tilbury and Southend railway on the line to Barking. In 1858 it became the London North East Railway to Bow and Barking. In 1902 it was first used by underground trains. In 1903-5 it was rebuilt. It has a tripartite composition of entrances set slightly back from the main façade. There was a pierced parapet, which has now gone. There are LTSR benches and brackets on the platform canopy. And the LTSR motif can still be seen around the station. It is listed.
Surrounding area known as Rob Roy Town. 1855
John Street & Plaistow
‘Playstowe’ 1414, ‘Plastow’ 16th century, ‘Plaistow’ 1805, meaning 'place where people gather for play or sport', from Old English. The current local pronunciation is 'Plasstow', as already indicated by the 16th-century
Pickford and Keen, 1857 acid manufacture.
Charles Tothill & Co. 1856-8 acid manufacture
The scene is one of unrelieved housing estates 1950s and later, with almost nothing to divert
London Tilbury and Southend Railway works, 1875-1934
Baths, West Ham Borough, not swimming but washhouses, 1932, some for men and 13 for women, after dispensary
Housing the first building is housing, of the live/work type, by Stock. Primary colours, timber facings and projecting windows in aluminium. Interesting more for novelty than anything.
All Saints Church School very old
Park Cottage, old cottage once used as a church school.
The Cedars. Essex Regiment. Elizabeth Fry’s home
Old substation replaced in the 1940s, original running sheds yellow brick with red facings down
Mineral water manufacturer A. Wells 1878 - 1941
West Ham Lane
All Saints Church. Built mid-13th but with has many complications and there are bits from the 15th and 16th and 18th. there are Bits of Stratford Langhorne Abbey inside including some Stained glass. There are six old bells, which were given to the Abbey by the son of the Abbey Founder. Rebuilt in the Early English style in 1216-22 and in 1240 from the east wall to the tower. In 1400 the nave was lengthened and a tower 74’ high built and a perpendicular. Turret was added. There are Tudor dual aisles. The Registers date from 1652. The South and east walls were rebuilt in 18th. Organ rebuilt. The font dates from 1797. In 1844 the pews were new. Wall paintings of dooms were destroyed. The 10 commandments were changed in 1929. Stoves and electric light. In 1934 the pillars near the door were put in, they had been found in a field and were supposed to have come from the Abbey. There are 1000 seats. Glass added in the early 1900s. The covered walk is very old. There is a list of vicars in the vestry – they were appointed by the abbot until the dissolution and then by the Crown. . Sanctuary is by George Gilbert Scott. Lord Mayor and Commonwealth. Smyth, Lord Hay. Etc. Wardens' names instead of the usual two. The clock in the tower is the prototype for Big Ben.
Opposite church to the North note on the ground about the site of a house. Probably part of the Abbey.
Trojan Works. 1916 Left in 1958. Tool makers.
Until 1880 site of Abbey Mills Distillery.
Strict Baptist church
West Ham Old Court House. The crest of the Abbey can be seen over the doorway to the Old Court House, in Tramway Avenue (Stratford). The chevrons from this device were incorporated into the arms of the West Ham upon its incorporation.
Abbey Lane West Ham, Steetley Bell Thomas and Co., 1876 B1 1870s Bell, Thos & Co. Parkes Sainsbury (Kelly 1870) 1872 1900 Oil of Vitriol, acid and mauve 1871 nitric 1888 Abbey Berk Site Canning Road Abbey Mills 1848 Whites dir Essex 48,63 1 Bell & Black 1851 Parkes WHrate 1851 Bell & Black 1839 B. Sainsbury 1839 1884 wax vestas, camphorated gas wire fuses Stratford High Street Bell & Black 1882 Parl Alk list 82 sulphate & chem.manure works Taken over by Berk 1872 l872 & 1805 on doors Bells till 1893 Hubert Llewyelln Smith History of East London 1939 Macmillan Alum manufacture Bell & Black John Bell London wholesaler roberts tBell: factory for superhosphates at Abbey Mills. Financial troubles and sold to Burkes. lead chambers put there. martin; parkes, Clow 453, 482, 229, 323 Bell,imp dir indswand, Clow 229, 194