this post has not been checked or edited
Academy Orchard. Planted in 1990s over a reservoir. Old hedge and bank with a rare vetch.
Castle Wood. An area of woodland, in part forming a dense pattern of tall trees. Its dominant features are Severndroog Castle and a large rose garden, which is on the site of Castlewood House (built 1870, now demolished). The house and its grounds were acquired by the London County Council in 1922 as the result of a campaign, and added to the public park already existing around Severndroog Castle. From the terrace above the garden there is a fine view over Eltham towards the North Downs.
Rose Cottage To the east of the terrace a highly ornamented house of the 1870s with rustic porch and great Dutch gables, formerly the lodge for Castlewood House.
Reservoir - In 1914 Metropolitan Board of Works bought the area and built a small reservoir in the woods to the west of Severndroog Castle. On the west side of the Wood is a grassed area. 1920
Rose garden with giant redwood tree, looking incongruous
Castlewood House, demolished by London County Council
Clarke’s soft water plant was on the green flat area on the right. This is the site of a former plant, which was supposed by most people to be a reservoir. In fact it was used to supply the Royal Herbert Hospital with soft water. Without being too scientific, "hardness” in water describes its inability to form lather with soap. It is due to compounds of calcium and magnesium, which enter the water from certain types of ground through which the water flows. The effects of these, apart from difficult lathering, can be damaging and even dangerous in hot water systems, boilers, etc. A large institution such as a hospital must therefore have a "soft" water supply. In this case the plant used Clark's process, in which certain of the compounds mentioned are dealt with by adding controlled quantities of lime. The actual building was removed in the 1930s
Severndroog Castle built as a Memorial to William James. He died at his daughter's wedding and his widow built the tower. Originally had armour from the siege in it. The Royal Engineers used it for an observation post while making early OS maps. eccentric, triangular. In darkness or poor light, the tower takes on a rather menacing appearance, and provided a perfect location for the sinister 2001 movie, Mr In-Between. A tall triangular battlemented tower by Richard Jupp 1784, an extraordinary folly with Gothic arches and windows, surrounded by the trees of Castle Wood. The inscription on the stone plaque on the side facing south-west is transcribed on a tablet in a more legible position on the side facing north. It was built by the widow of Commodore Sir William James to celebrate his naval exploits, in particular his capture in 1755 of the island fortress of Severndroog (no longer existing) off the Malabar Coast of India. At that time the Castle was just to the north of the grounds of the James mansion of Park Farm Place, Eltham. In 1869 the Castle became part of the grounds of Castlewood House, which was built on the wooded slopes below. The Castle and the area around it were sold to the London County Council c 1900 to become a public park. From one of the turrets there are some of the finest views anywhere in London, unrestricted in all directions except to the north-east. The main room on the first floor has a fine ornamental plaster ceiling. Listed Grade II* but at one time considered to be at risk.
Ancient wall in the grounds of the flats. There are two possibilities. The Manor House, originally called the Shrubbery, could have had some off-site structures. Or the wall is a fragment of part of the old "Bull" complex. Entrance to the Manor House was from Cleanthus Road, which was a through road until the present site was laid out. From the gate could be seen a pair of large urns and a figure in the form of a harp which looked somewhat like a small ship's figurehead.
Reservoir 1890. 300,000 gall. 320' OD Kent Water Co.
Cut that was made in 1980
Vicarage first house
Called after the Chief Superintendent of Ordnance Factories from 1903 to 1916, Sir F. Donaldson, KCB. He was drowned in the latter year when HMS Hampshire, which was also carrying Lord Kitchener, struck a mine on the way to Russia. Marks the western extremity of Broomhall and was formed to lead into the Wimpey estate.
Does this have a connection with Lidgebird's eagles on his crest
Eaglesfield School, buildings of 1925 the science extensions of 1961-2 are a prominent landmark. Shuttered concrete and brick, with the tough detailing typical of the L.C.C.'s work of the time. GLC extensions 1975 Has become used as a sixth form and further education college.
Flats in the Eaglesfield fire station 1912 vaguely arts and crafts. A handsome building of 1912 Note the oriel windows and the impressive skyline with closely packed dormers. Fire Brigade Branch of the L C C Architect's Department. typical of their best designs. 1912, probably by C.-C. Winmill. Romantic roof-line with high pitched gables and tall chimneys- facade with oriel windows. Has become housing.
Eaglesfield Wood. in the school grounds. This is a wood on a steep slope with a pond, mature trees, newts, tipping rough, clearings with brambles, birds, etc..
Eaglesfield Recreation Ground. Highest point on shooters hill. Children’s playground on the site of the Lily Pond - 14ft higher than the cross on St. Paul’s. Embraces the actual summit of the hill. There are sensational views towards the east over Erith, Bexleyheath and Bexley.
Lowood. A large house in stuccoed concrete of 1874; since 1925 it has been the clubhouse of the Shooters Hill Golf Club. The east front has three distinctive gables.
Site of Lidgebird family’s brickfields in Plumstead. Built Broom Hall in 1733 demolished in the 1930s. Workmens cottages called Old Granary. High Sheriff of Kent and two eagles on the crest – having made a fortune from supplying brick to the Arsenal.
Jack Wood. Name Probably from the word jack in the sense 'smaller in size' - that is, relative to Oxleas Wood. The wood has a wide variety of trees - Oak, birch, hornbeam, guelder rose, midland thorn, buckthorn, wild cherry and service. A streams runs through the wood and beside grows remote sedge, tufted hairgrass and yellow pimpernel. Another rarity to be found is butcher's broom, a member of the lily family. Several people sighted an escaped puma.
Site of Nightingale Hall built by Sir John Shaw in the 1780s. The lease expired in 1811 and a house called Wood Lodge was built there, and called ‘Crown’ in 1916. Jackwood House built 1862-3 and became the home of Ned Goodwin and Maxine Elliott. It was visited by Edward VII and Beerbolm Tree. The walled garden and the grounds were open to the public. There is a wrought iron gate with a coronet and letter ‘P’ for James Palisted Wilde QC, Lord Penzance who lived there. This house was demolished in 1927 and the site was taken over by the London County Council who opened the grounds when the leases expired. They built the cafe and toilets. The north part of the woodland is dominated by the ornamental terrace and gardens of Jackwood House - including a fountain of 1873 with a lion's head. To the west of the terrace is an enclosed ornamental garden. The site of the house is an area of flower-beds east of the terrace.
House late 19th century to the north of this site. Rather fanciful – it was the staff quarters.
The Lodge a late 19th century house which was the lodge for Jackwood House, is on Crown Woods Lane by the entrance into Jackwood.
Hillwood House. Parks Department London County Council.
This was the original road from Shooters Hill to Woolwich. The southern part is a tree-lined village-type street, with considerable atmosphere. The west side consists mainly of varied mid 19th century cottages.
126 of c 1840
Original Road from Shooters Hill to Woolwich. An enclave of houses c1886.
6 Red Lion, A pub of 1902, replacing a much older building. It is attractive externally and internally. Note the grotesque figure on top of the corner gable. The pub is at the centre of Red Lion Place,
Post Office. Shooters Hill Post Office next door to the Red Lion from 1640s till 1971
Boundary marker. This used to be seen on the west side of Red Lion Lane opposite the entrance to Eaglesfield School, though in late 1988 the owner of no. 12 put up a fence enclosing it
Back of Red Lion Pumping Station and a pump
80 behind it was a medicinal well magnesium sulphate, Nathaniel Grew and Epsom salts Moult Brothers made Epsom Salts from the water, did not succeeds as a spa because the military were interested in it, 1884 still there with a sapper in charge
Isolated mass of London clay covered with sand and gravel, rainwater comes out as springs. Syncline ENE/WSW. has preserved a great thickness of the tertiary cover overlying the chalk and Shooters Hill rising to 424 ft is composed largely of a remnant of Tertiary London clay. British trackway to early burials then Roman Road. Hills steam wagon at 16 mph at Shooters Hill. 8 mph. General Steam Carriage Co. Gibbet. Top taken off it in 1817 by the Turnpike Trust.
157/159 old site of Bull. Corner of Cleanthus Road - at the eastern extremity of the old "Bull" Hotel as it was in its heyday, a much larger establishment than the present pub and situated to the east of it; houses now occupy this part of the site. At one time it was used for banqueting by officers of The Royal Artillery before they had their own mess. It is recorded that in 1783 the officers entertained General Williams there after his return from the siege of Gibraltar
Stepped stone block. On the pavement by the kerbside there is a truly venerable relic - a horse-mounting block. The stone was part of the facilities of the "Bull" in the days when customers travelled on horseback. It disappeared from local knowledge in the 1870s, to make a dramatic reappearance in 1926 in Bexleyheath, where, it transpired, it had arrived as the result of a drunken prank. Once discovered, it was installed once more as near as possible to the place it occupied formerly, as shown in a sketch of the "Bull" made in 1857. During the preparation of the stone for its restoration with substantial foundations to prevent any future pranks it was stated that the age of the block is 200 to 300 years. In fact, upper limit of the possible age of the block is no less than a staggering 700 years. Back wrong way up. White stone block at the back could be a hinge support. It is in front of the site of The Bull, a large and well-known tavern demolished in 1881. The block was re-erected here in 1929.
162 Holbrook House. 1780, enlarged 1838. Dr. Remington lived there and became nursery of GLC Parks Dept.. A villa c1838, which may incorporate some late 18th century structure; it was enlarged in 1862. It is the sole survivor of a number of 19th century villas which were formerly near the crown of the road.
red brick house built in 1784 by Dr.Gore at the back of the Red Lion and insured and then burnt it. He was hanged. General Grant lived there
30 A deep well with 50 ft of brickwork and a boring to 300 ft, believed not to have been filled in lying under the roadway. unchecked rumour included in the report of Greenwich Committee on underground cavities
53, a house c1835 with a modern shop front,
57 Prospect Cottage, a house c1816 with 'Gothick' windows. Dr. Watson 1747 experiment with electrical condensers for wireless signals Member of the Royal Society passed electricity through 9,000 ft of earth water on the Thames and through 10,000 ft or wire at Shooters Hill, Princess Charlotte's tutor
Gateway leads to the aerials used by the Port of London Authority for river traffic control.
Castlewood Day Hospital. . Splendid foundation stone of the Cottage Hospital. Properly called the Woolwich and Plumstead Cottage Hospital, and having 14 beds, it was built on land leased by the War Department. Patients were admitted in 1890. The opening ceremony was performed by the Viscountess Wolseley in 1890, her husband having been called away to Dublin to take over command of the forces in Ireland. In 1928 the hospital affairs were absorbed by the new War Memorial Hospital, and the building was used as accommodation for nurses of that establishment. The Cottage Hospital later worked as a Day Centre. There was also a brass plate. It was in the main hall but was subsequently missing. It was an acknowledgement of the debt owed to William Woodford. It recorded that Mr. Woodford initiated the idea of the Hospital, gave £500 towards it, and worked assiduously to bring it into being. He was Honorary Secretary for 22 years. An unusual vernacular building of 1889, with a tile-hung upper floor and attractive decorative features. Note the foundation stone by the entrance.
Ancient wall to the left of the PLA gate the part beyond having been replaced by a modern version. The OS map for 1869 shows the ancient wall, while the 1897 map shows this wall plus an extension rearwards. A map of 1930 shows the corner site as the "Old Granary" and the wall appears to have been the division between this and Broomhall. The Old Granary was formed from three 18th century cottages and disappeared about the same time as Broom Hall. There is no evidence that grain was ever stored there and the place was renamed Hollyhurst for many years before its destruction.
Bench mark. On the corner wall of the last house before Donaldson Road, a cement or concrete patch on the wall bench mark of 385.6 feet at this point.
Broom Hall. This was built in 1733 by john Lidgbird, a notable local landowner and lasted until 1932, when it was demolished by Wates Ltd. to build the semi-detached villas between the wall and Shrewsbury Lane. The evidence for the 1733 date is curious. The shutters of the dining room were acquired by Colonel Bagnold. The date was on the shutters, executed in clout nails, with the initials I.L. above. The Colonel interpreted the initials as J.L., for John Lidgbird. Broom Hall name may be derived from the profusion of the plant genesta, commonly called broom, which grew abundantly hereabouts.
Bull Hotel. Used to be much bigger, and to the east. On the corner of Shrewsbury Lane is the name stone over the corner door of the "Bull,” which is now bricked up. The stone carries the date of the present building, 1881, and the alleged date of the original "Bull,” 1749. The roof of the building has been renewed in recent years, and roof ornaments in the form of sunflowers, probably of iron, were discarded, in spite of the building's listed status. In the rear garden is a white stone block of uncertain origin, which may have been a hinge support for an outer gate on to the highway. Landmann 1785 dinner at Bull Tavern. Once had Assembly Rooms and was very much bigger. Unused rooms became Wickham House Academy, a private school.
Castle House Lodge. A mid 19th century house, originally the lodge for Castle House (built 1823, now demolished), whose site is now in the grounds of the Woolwich Memorial Hospital
Catherine Wheel in 1778 demolished and replaced with Hazelwood House. Opposite The Bull.
Christ Church School. dates from 1857, having had its beginnings in a private house in Red Lion Lane. It has been extended since, and plans are under way for a further expansion at the rear. The 1963 extension, to the west, has the following legend on its front: CHRIST CHURCH SCHOOL Built 1857 Enlarged 1963 M.V.WOOD E.W.HANCOCK Headmistress Vicar. The windows of the original building were altered at the time of the enlargement. To the east is Christ Church School. Old village school .
Christ Church. On land to replace Wickham House when demolished. A small Victorian Gothic church of 1856, the east end added in 1869. The exterior is unexceptional, but the interior is interesting, with the atmosphere of a village church. Fine east end stained glass window of 1869 and a series of unusual roof shields. In 1900 Temple Moore added a coloured chancel screen, two large figures of winged angels in the chancel, and the decorated cornices. 1855-6 by Tress & Chambers. Small.
Campbell House. Where the pavement is several feet above the road surface. In this bank, are the steps from the pavement to the road surface, which served the occupants of two large semi-detached houses, which existed until the Second World War? They were called Campbell House and The Limes. Large stone balls surmounted the entrance gate pillars. The houses, of five storeys, were built in 1779 by John Burton on ground leased by Henry Lidgbird. It is just possible that they were intended as one residence, and it is invariably the Campbell House name that figures in articles about them. The earlier name was Shooters Hill House, the new name coming in about 1860. Local worthies who resided at Campbell House include Sir John Campbell Bt. of Airde, Major-General Sir W. Campbell Bt., the Reverend T. B. Wilson, while Vicar of Christ Church, and A. F. Hogg, when Principal of Woolwich Polytechnic. The present LCC structure retains the Campbell name.
Gibbet – by the site of the police station at the crossroads, another site used was in the Golf Course and stump of a third was in a house by Lower Eaglesfield.
Golden Lion. halfway down the London side of the hill. The Golden Lion was the badge of the Lion of Flanders
Well. Hamlet round the Red Lion in eighteenth century and near Christ Church school was 'the dipping well' and a pump filled in in 1863 when Kent Water Works laid on a pipe, In 1904 supply still intermittent.
Telegraph. Memorial Hospital. Built on what was then known as the Telegraph Field. This name commemorates the Admiralty Telegraph, which operated on the site from 1796 to 1816. Telegraph tower. Semaphore station, Sent messages to Swanscombe from Telegraph Hill
Memorial Hospital. Major C. E. S. Phillips, owner of Castle House on the south face of the hill, offered the site for the War Memorial Hospital, the deal being concluded at £2,500 in 1919. At the opening ceremony of the Hospital, carried out in November 1927 by the Duke and Duchess of York, Major and Mrs. Phillips presented the Association with £2,500, making, in effect, a gift of the land. The foundation stone of the hospital next to the main entrance commemorates the ceremony undertaken by Field Marshal His Royal Highness Arthur Duke of Connaught KG on July 7th 1925. Hall of Remembrance inside. A modest classical building of 1927 set in large grounds including woodland similar to the adjoining Castle Wood. Just beyond the vestibule is the Hall of Remembrance, a small marble rotunda. Note the enamelled roundel of The Good Samaritan by Gilbert Bayes, and stained glass windows of St Joan and St George.
Memorial Hospital Grounds. There is, in a remote part of the hospital grounds, a mysterious group of stones so massive that they could have come only from a major building. They lie on a centre line through the hospital plan, about twenty yards from the boundary with Stoney Alley. The maps show no such building on the spot. They are laid out in some order, and it appears that they must have been transported from nearby. The most likely place would be Castle House, for the ground on which the Hospital was built, as stated above, was in the ownership of Major and Mrs. Phillips of that house.
Milestone. On the bank grassy bank in front of Christ Church, This was once on the north side of the road, but in 1903 a steamroller hit it. It lay disregarded in two pieces, but due to the vigilance of the Reverend T. B. Wilson, the Vicar of Christ Church, the pieces were rescued and repaired with rivets by Mr. Joseph Randall. Mr. Randall lived at Summer Court on the east side of the hill and was a partner in the company of Kirke & Randall, building contractors and civil engineers, whose works were at Warren Lane in Woolwich. Colonel Bagnold asserts that the “7-Miles to Dartford" plate was completely destroyed. The stone was re-erected alongside the path leading to the church door, but later moved to its present position. One side was fitted with an iron plate bearing details of losses at Ypres in France during the fearful First World War battles there. It is likely that the “8-Miles to London Bridge" plate was also renewed, but by the late 1970s both mileage plates had disappeared. The stone also carries a bench mark. It is an 18th century milestone converted to a First World War memorial. It reads: '130 miles to Ypres, in defending the salient our casualties were 90,000 killed, 70,500 missing, and 410,000 wounded'.
Milestone of 1968 on the original site on the north side of the road in front of Prospect Cottage. Concrete but Its plates also had disappeared, one theory being that they were removed during the Second World War to make life difficult for any invaders! In 1974 attempts were made to have replacement plates made and fitted. After one or two false starts, the task was eventually undertaken by the Borough Engineer, Mr. C. A. Toogood, finance being provided by the GLC. replicas of 19th century iron plates reading '8 miles to London Bridge' and 7 miles to Dartford', which used to be on the Ypres milestone
Parish boundary marker. Ordnance Terrace. The boundary between Plumstead and Woolwich parishes goes off to the right just beyond the "Red Lion" public house at an angle of about 45 degrees, but turns north and runs down to Woolwich Town. The changes of direction of the boundary indicated on the 1869 OS map were shown by three stones. One was outside one of the houses of Ordnance Terrace. Labeled "BS,” that is boundary stone. At one time it was nowhere to be seen; but the western end of Ordnance Terrace underwent an upheaval in the late 1970s. The stone was discovered in the rear garden of one of the houses, probably No.32, rescued by two local enthusiasts, and spirited away for its own safety.
Parish boundary marker. The boundary between Plumstead and Woolwich parishes goes off to the right just beyond the "Red Lion" public house at an angle of about 45 degrees, but turns north and runs down to Woolwich Town. The changes of direction of the boundary indicated on the 1869 OS map were shown by three stones. One stood at the junction of the alley that joins the "Red Lion" forecourt to Red Lion Lane. Labeled "BS,” that is boundary stone. It had a even narrow escape. In 1976 the stone was smashed by builders working on the Red Lion Lane flanking wall of No.31, Shooters Hill. A local enthusiast collected all the fragments that could be found, and conveyed the remains to his own workshop. Hours of patient study of the three-dimensional jigsaw puzzle resulted in a solution and a reasonable repair. The WP letters, while still discernible, had to be deepened, but the PP side needed no treatment, having been sheltered from the weather by the wall mentioned above. In 1978 the "Red Lion" public house underwent a major refit after the departure of landlord Monty Banks and the chance was taken of restoring the stone to public gaze by installing it in the house. Redecoration took place again in 1984, when the stone was moved outside to stand in the corner porch. However, after this careful preservation work the stone went missing again. Fortunately the Engineers' Department of Greenwich Borough Council provided a new boundary stone and installed it in Red Lion Lane about 60 yards north of the original site.
Parish boundary marker. The boundary between Plumstead and Woolwich parishes goes off to the right just beyond the "Red Lion" public house at an angle of about 45 degrees, but turns north and runs down to Woolwich Town. The changes of direction of the boundary indicated on the 1869 OS map were shown by three stones. The third appeared behind the site on which the Cottage Hospital was built. , And the last as "BP marked BO" - BP for boundary post and BO for Board of Ordnance. In the case of the third marker, the OS map for 1897 said "WD BP No. 12", although the caption remained "BS" for the other two. The change from Board of Ordnance to War Department occurred in 1855, the Crimean War having shown the need for a new looks in military affairs. The site is no longer accessible. It would be at the rear of either 2 Red Lion Lane or 2 Academy Place. Outside the entrance to the Cottage Hospital is to be seen an iron post marked BO, which does not appear on the 1869 map. This could be the marker, transplanted when the Hospital was built.
Raised pavement. Indicates the original level and contour of the Dover Road before the gradients were eased by the New Cross Turnpike Trust in the late 18th century.
Replacement plates fitted in 1977
Seat on the wayside seat with tiled canopy. This is a memorial to Samuel Edmund Phillips, who died in 1893. He was the father of the Major Phillips who gave the land for the Memorial Hospital. At one time he lived in Holbrook, but moved to Castle House in 1884. With Mr. Walter Johnson he founded the well-known firm of Johnson and Phillips, which specialised in the manufacture of submarine cables and associated equipment. In 1985 the seat was reduced to a pile of rubble by a heavy vehicle, but has since been restored by the local council. In its original form it included a drinking fountain, and there is a modern version of this on the eastern side. The top beam of the structure carries the legend: In Memoriam Samuel Edmund Phillips. Born April 9th 1848. Died July 22nd 1893. "Write me as one who loves his fellow men.” which is also on his tomb in Charlton Cemetery. c1895 has a nice lych-gate style roof.
Water Pumping Station by the Royal Herbert hospital, Steam engines to repump water to the hill from the Brookmill works,
Wall on the south side similar in height to the raised pavement and built of random stones. Until 1980 or thereabouts, this was the boundary of the vicarage of Christ Church. In 1780 a cottage stood upon the site, occupied by Richard Holtam. It was demolished in 1840 and replaced by another, which was called Bankside. It was sublet in 1872 to Mr. Bartleet, who renamed it Severndroog, an obvious reference to the nearby castle of that name. He secured the freehold from the Crown Commissioners. In the 1920s, the Parish of Christ Church found itself unable to appoint a married man owing to the lack of a vicarage. Provision of a parsonage house was planned, a design produced and money raised against an estimated cost of £2,800. In 1929, Mr. Bartleet died and the cottage "Severndroog" became available. It was bought by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in 1930 for £2,000. This was reduced to £1,270 by selling part of the site to Major Phillips of Castle House. The Reverend P. Read, the first occupant, took over in 1931. Mr. Bartleet was, by account, a man of parts. A prolific collector and experimenter, in his greenhouses, in horticulture, he exhibited as a member of the Rose Society. He loved music and took great interest in Christ Church and its school. Colonel Bagnold said: "Were he able to return to us there can be little doubt but that he would be much pleased to find that the home which he loved is occupied as a vicarage."
Cross in the Church grounds, behind the milestone. This is a granite memorial to the fallen of the Great War of 1914-1918. The design and erection were carried out by Mr. Reginald Hoare, of Messrs Hoare & Sons. graceful
Shooters Hill Water Pumping Station by the Royal Herbert Hospital. Steam engines to repump water to the hill from the Brookmill works
Water tower built in 1909 and top level is 488 ft. on site of a house called Woodcot which had a big pond in front used for skating. Steel tank 75ft high and 25ft diameter. Water pumped from wells in Orpington and also goes to the Academy Road reservoir. Gravity to pumping station in Well Hall Road. Grade II listed. 17. A heavy fortress-like tower a prominent landmark which pinpoints Shooters Hill from very many miles around. It was built to bring water to residents at the top of the hill; the water is forced up to the tower from a reservoir under Castle Wood by a pumping station next to the Welcome Inn
1-2 Woodcot Cottages
Wickham Cottage Rev. Dillon school and assembly rooms, became part of pub Demolished and new pub built further down,
Winding lane, 1844. Over the gorse to the river. 1826 straightened and became dividing line between Dallins and Hacksons
40 Elmhurst Cottage, 1975, replica of its predecessor. A weather-boarded cottage
Short flight of stone steps leading to the back fence of a modern corner residence of the Kenilworth estate. Crown Woods Lane formerly reached the road at this point, but was diverted to do so further east, leaving a building plot on this corner. Three cottages were built, two as a semi-detached pair. In 1877, after several changes of ownership, the semi-detached cottages were bought by one owner who formed them into a single dwelling called "Forest Cottage,” and later simply "The Cottage.” The steps we are looking at served this Cottage, which lasted until recent times, when it, with the third cottage which had become a noted house called Forest Lodge, was replaced by the present mock Georgian layout We may date the formation of the Alley between 1749 and 1805. The southern part of the path serves as the boundary between Jackwood and Castle Wood, and in this area are several very tall sweet chestnut trees. Became a Narrow alley between two pleasure gardens, was a gravel pit, white quartz pebbles
House. Built in 1864 by Lord Penzance’s brother. Col Bagnold and Enid lived there now Lewisham Children’s home