this post has not been edited or checked
The Avenue (not on AZ)
Is a fine avenue of trees from Old Dover Rd to Shooters Hill Rd. South Eastern Railway passes below. Part has been enclosed and there is only a footpath left
Used to be Sheepgate Lane. Meeting another lane going northwards along the Westcombe boundary and Coombe Farm to Woolwich road, called Sheepgate Lane, Coombe Farm Lane, or Angerstein's Lane. Area where drovers put their sheep. Batley was a Blackheath corn merchant. 1950 for Greenwich Borough Council gold jubilee.
Bedford Place (Not on AZ)
1970 town houses in a cul-de-sac was formerly "The Firs' estate. Initially a private house it subsequently housed the St.Joseph's High School for Girls (1914 -37) and from 1937 until demolished in 1969, the local Battalion of the Territorial Army, now reduced to a small wooden hut for a company of Army Cadets.
Part of Bowater Estate
Blackheath and Charlton Cottage Hospital. The Cottage Home was a four-bed home opened in 1880 in Bowater Place. Moved to Shooters Hill Road.
St John's working men's club
Bought from Drapers Co. three houses - flats built in 1936. Greenwich borough council. All ex councillors’ names: Jackson, Kelly, Matthews, Norris, Turner, and Harold Gibbons.
Area of Eastcombe Estate
Charlton United Reformed Church. formerly the Charlton Congregational Church erected in 1909. The Charlton Congregationalists held their first services in 1902 and along with their sister parishes linked with the Presbyterian Churches to constitute the United Reformed Church in 1972.
Alexander Hall 1957. Named in remembrance of Alexander Hall, Penge, which was totally destroyed in the 'blitz', and whose congregation contributed generously towards the cost of the new hall.
Annexe to Morden College 1952 .a cosy group of brick old people'' flats for Morden College, by the College Surveyor, Percy W. Reed, 1951, but in the style of thirty years earlier.
Board School and school-keeper's house
Charlton Fire Station. London County Council, 1906. Fire station for 11 men & families. Flats opened by Lygan, Chairman of Fire Brigades Committee. One of the first stations to have a motorised unit - Merryweather equipment. Closed in 1920. Leased to motor firm & the flats used for homeless families.
Tills Motor Repairs
80 Poplar Cottage Charlton, brick back 19th . The only rural survival a weather boarded cottage
103 Kingsbury Lodge is a 19th villa.
129 doorstep steel plate GP/CP boundary marker
Rectory Field Blackheath football club forecourt trust stone for 1851 perambulation of Greenwich, Blackheath Rugby Club
145 Highcombe. 1825. Presbytery of Our Lady of Grace, the RC Church House bought by the Oblate sisters in 1984 and then sold to the Augustinian Fathers of the Assumption. At one time home of Peter Barlow.
East Combe became Crown property following the Dissolution of Monasteries in 1537. By Royal Assent it was leased to persons in favour and subsequently to Capt.Saunderson Captain of the vessel which brought King William of Orange to the English throne who instructed the first East Combe House to be erected in 1710. In 1833, John Angerstein purchased the estate and in due course sold portions for house building. Estate built by Norwich Union 02/10 Eastcombe/Wyndcliffe etc
Fossdene School which opened in 1895 to cater for huge influx of children following the erection of artisan houses on the Roupell estate that lay in a large pocket east of the school. Damage from V2 rockets on 8 February, 1945 in Victoria Way.
Old coach houses
St.Austin’s RC Secondary School for Boys. Opened in 1957. The land, originally the High Combe estate, was purchased by the Oblate Sisters in 1903 but later sold to the Augustian Fathers of the Assumption. The rear of High Combe House, now the R.C.Presbytery can be clearly seen at the south end of the playing field. It is expected that under the 1980 Education Act, St.Austin's became an enlargement of St.Joseph's Academy, Lee and further, the use of the Highcombe premises was discontinued in 1991.
Mineral Water Manufacturer
Board School .
St.George, 1891 by Newman & Newman. red brick church in the Brooks manner standing on a steep slope; No tower. Small apsidal sanctuary added later in place of the intended chancel.
In the former vicarage garden, facing housing for the elderly and disabled by Trevor Dannatt & Partners, 1975-7, with splayed wings building up to three storeys, and many canted windows to catch the sun.
4A, by Peter Bell & Richard McCormack, 1975, is an especially well designed single-storey house, with garage neatly included, on a grid plan, with interlocking indoor and outdoor spaces.
Mews for big houses
Named after excavation in 1873
90 Woodlands. Built for Angerstein with nucleus of National Gallery pictures here. John Julius Angerstein and Woodlands. LBG 1974. Elegant mosaic on the step beneath the columned portal. The mosaic has existed since 1774 when John Julius Angerstein ordered the building of the house. Angerstein had married and built Woodlands as a healthy retreat from his Pall Mall house. He installed a central heating system with hot air flues. The house was guest to many a royal visitor including George and Princess Caroline. Other visitors included Dr Samuel Johnson and his friend Sir Thomas Lawrence whose portrait of Angerstein hangs in the National Gallery. House became home to Woodlands Art Gallery on the ground floor and Greenwich Local History Library on the first floor. Once a villa, built in 1774 by G. Gibson jun. for J. J. Angerstein, whose picture collection formed the first purchase for the proposed National Gallery. Wing demolished c. 1876 for the road; wing largely replaced by convent buildings of the 1930s, The entrance was formerly in the front; the portico is now blocked. .
Grounds. much reduced, they once included a lake, an icehouse, and a large heated conservatory. Nevertheless they retain almost 100 species of wild flowers and trees. Shrubberies and grass.
99 Glenwood, by E. R. Robson, 1881-2, a large house of red brick with quite picturesque half-timbered gables. Good interiors. 1895 -1924 the home of the Rt. Hon. Lord Justice Sir Thomas Edward Scrutton, P.O., K.C., MA., LL.B. From 1928 occupied by Sir James Cooper and afterwards until 1960, by his widow.
Kidbrooke House built for the Little Sisters of the Assumption
111 Built 1892; large 5-storey detached house, red brick, gables, tiled roof.
Old Dover Road
Roman Road thought to have gone down Old Dover Road, across Park to meet the Ravensbourne mouth road name is not an old one, parish boundary
Blackheath Bluecoat School Transformed into a 1,000-pupil comprehensive with additions by Stillman & Eastwick-Field, 1972-4. Linked two-storey pavilions grouped around paved courtyards, on a domestic scale. Closed and demolishe
109 British Oak, 1847. Typical Courage interior but note the double tier cast-iron balcony frontage.
Estate 1976, London County Council housing
Holywell Close. A pleasant composition of 1974-5, pitched roofs irregularly grouped, an early example of revival of the vernacular mode by the G.L.C. job architect John Hopkinson
Russell Place (not on AZ)
Sherington Road School on site of East Combe House erected in 1710. Later occupants included John Campbell, Lord Lyon of Scotland and Lt.Gen. Wm.Congreve 1 before purchased in 1805 by an import merchant David Hunter. He demolished the old house and erected a new East Combe House nearby. Which later became the seat of the Dowager, Countess of Buckinghamshire. East Combe House was demolished in 1904 and Sherington Road Elementary School and Charlton Central School built. Until recently two schools existed at Sherington Road. - Sherington Elementary School for Infants & Juniors, and Charlton Central School for Senior Boys & Girls. The latter educated children who had passed their eleven-plus exams, but could not be accommodated at the local Grammar Schools. The Central system was a 1910/11 scheme in education with a curriculum somewhere between that of technical and grammar.
South Eastern Railway workshops .
Shooters Hill Road
Arnold House. A residential home of 1983. It incorporates the dispensary of the old Charlton and Blackheath Cottage Hospital. A small mock Tudor building of 1904. adjacent surgery .
Blackheath and Charlton Cottage Hospital. In 1889, new building opened for this hospital, which began as the Cottage Home. Previously in Bowater Place. During the 1880s the capacity had been increased by the adaptation of two small houses in Old Dover Road, thus providing ten beds in all. The new building was opened on Shooters Hill Road in May 1889, on the site opposite where the Baptist Church now stands. The inaugural ceremony was performed by Her Royal Highness Princess Christian of Schleswig- Holstein, and the reporter listed the very august body who attended the occasion. The only disappointment was for the officers and men of the 2nd Volunteer Battalion, the Royal West Kent Regiment, who marched up punctually to mount a guard of honour in time for the advertised start of 3.00 pm, only to find that the Royal Party was already in place. As a cottage hospital, it continued to provide a local, friendly, "small is beautiful" service to the community, where local G.Ps often operated on their patients. The 30 beds and the operating theatre were equipped for major surgery, which nowadays would be handled by a general hospital. After damage by enemy action in October 1940 the building was used as a First Aid Post, and by the Council as an Ambulance Post and Nursery School. In 1948 it was offered to the British Hospital for Mothers and Babies in Woolwich but it was subsequently used as offices by the Woolwich Hospital Group, and largely demolished in 1980. The smaller dispensary block has been retained.
Blackheath and Charlton Baptist Chapel 1905 by S. S. Dottridge & W. J. Walford. In the free late Gothic typical of this date; corner tower with battered buttresses. Another chapel-church which dates its origins from before the re-establishment of the Kidbrooke parish church at St James's. This church was founded in 1863 in Sunfields Chapel in Sunfields Place. This building had a non-conformist tradition and was rented, until a new chapel was built in 1869 by the Baptists on the south side of Shooters Hill Road where Belgrave Court now stands. However, the chapel was felt inadequate to accommodate its flourishing congregation and the present Blackheath and Charlton Baptist Church was built on the corner of Marlborough Lane. Its foundation stone shows the date 4 May 1905, and the opening ceremony was performed in November that year.
Belgrave Court. A new chapel was built in 1869 by the Baptists on the south side of Shooters Hill Road. It was rectangular in shape, with a ridge roof, and a lobby inside the doors, under a balcony which was a later addition both for the choir and to increase the capacity of the chapel. The "Shooters Hill Road Baptist Chapel" was built on land leased from the earl of St Germans, and in the 1920s the freehold was also purchased. However, the chapel was felt inadequate to accommodate its flourishing congregation and the present Blackheath and Charlton Baptist Church was built The church retained its building in Kidbrooke for Sunday School and Youth Work until it was demolished in 1970 and the site was sold for a housing development.
Sun in the Sands. A pub of 1842, with a modern ground floor, on the site of an older pub
Westcombe Park Station. Opened 1st May 1879 because of planned development in the area. Between Charlton and Maze Hill on South Eastern Trains
St George's Road (not in AZ)
St John's Park
Area all heath in 1830s and belonged to the Angerstein. Enclosed illegally and St John's Church built in 1853 and built on Stratheden Road started. Called St John's Road and finished in 1890. A mid Victorian suburb now truncated by the Rochester Way underpass. The church is on an island site
St John, 1852-3 by Arthur Ashpitel. Perpendicular, Kentish rag, with a good spire, prominently sited on an island in the centre of the Victorian suburb of Blackheath. Later c 19 furnishings: Reredos and screen by H. S. Rogers; stained glass by Heaton, Butler &' Bayne
Victorian wall pillar box
50 Vicarage to St John's then the Library 1874
St John's Road. (Not on AZ)
Livery Stable in mews
Shooters Hill Road area mainly developed in the 1840s as part of Sun Field, an area which also embraces the rebuilt Sun in the Sands
Was originally Bedford Place
Thomas Tallis was ‘Father of English music’ and Greenwich resident.
44 Royal Standard 1858 Large main road pub
The wide pedestrian way formed is due to the shallow depth of the railway tunnel between Blackheath and Charlton at this point.
Church Hall 1896 with plaque to Elsie Marshall
Like the local street names Eastcombe Avenue and Westcombe HilL preserves the name of the old manor of Cumbe 1044,1226, shown on Bowen's map ofc.1762 as divided into East Combe and West Combe, from Old English cumb 'valley'.
Called Angerstein's Lane. Footpath over a stile at the end of Westcombe Park Road to go to Woodlands and field on site of Vanbrugh Park and Vanbrugh Park Road
58 Sofnol and Turfsoil soda lime.
Woodlands Road (not on AZ)