Woolwich Common

  this post has not been checked or edited


Post to the north Railway from London Bridge to Gravesend. Woolwich West

Post to the east Shooters Hill

Post to the south Eltham Common

Post to the west Charlton



Cemetery Lane
Unigate Dairy Depot a reminder that the area was once dairy farmland; the depot replacing the original milking sheds. 
Charlton Cemetery.  this is on what was once on Maryon-Wilson waste land. It was purchased in 1855 by the local Burial Board from Sir Thomas M.Wilson. The high scale of charges to non-parishioners originally made by the Board had the effect of attracting wealthy Blackheath and Woolwich families and they left some  handsome monuments. The Chapels - one Anglican, the other Non- conformist, are in Kentish ragstone with Bath stone dressings. The rear wall marks the boundary of Charlton parish. Memorials: a canopy over an effigy of Jemima Ayley 1860; memorial to General Orde Wingate of the 'Chindits', killed during the Burma campaign 1944; a tomb within a railed enclosure to Samuel Phillips 1893, founder of Johnson & Phillips, with the inscription 'Write me as one who loved his fellow men'; Thomas Murphy 1932, owner of the former Charlton greyhound track, with three conspicuous columns and two greyhounds.;Turkish graves.
Drinking fountain. Dark grey granite, circular drinking bowl raised on a column rising from hexagonal granite plinth. Inscribed: 'PRESENTED BY THE METROPOLITAN DRINKING FOUNTAIN AND CATTLE TROUGH ASSOCIATION.' Erected in 1901 at the junction of Charlton Way and Duke Humphrey Road, it was removed here in 1977 for protection from vandalism and with commemorative a plaque recording the change.

Charlton Common
The Common was first used for housing military families after the Napoleonic Wars and then for stabling cavalry of the Royal Horse Artillery.

Charlton Park Lane
Queen Elizabeth Hospital. The hospital was originally the Military Hospital, the foundation stone of which was laid in November 1972 by the Queen Mother and opened six years later, stands on land that was once Charlton Common. modern complex, consisting of wards linked by low-lying white blocks designed by Powell & Moya, replaced the Royal Herbert Hospital as a military hospital in 1978. It came into National Health Service use at the end of 1995. The entrance is across a low bridge over an ornamental pool with fountains on either side. The staff accommodation and a social club are in separate blocks to the south. Replaced three former army hospitals. Built on an industrial system evolved by the Oxford Regional Hospital Board; exposed concrete structure with dark panels. Not specially attractive, but less overwhelming than many contemporary hospitals of this size because entirely of two storeys. Many internal courtyards.
Meridian Sports originally Stonefield Farm.  17 acre sports ground and two-storeyed pavilion.  Developed in 1921 by Messrs Siemens Bros.Ltd. A large local electrical concern later acquired by the General Electric Co. When the works closed down in 1968, the G.E.C. offered the sports ground for a peppercorn rent to a consortium of sports clubs provided they maintained it.
K6. The sole surviving example in the Woolwich area of the K6 type of red cast-iron telephone kiosk, designed by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott in 1935. This type is distinguishable from the earlier K2 by its narrow rectangular panes of glass.

Charlton Park Road
Charlton Park School, started by Mary Bridges Adams first at Bostall Woods and then Shrewsbury Park, delicate school and a strong outdoor element 1990. GLC 1966

Charlton Park Terrace
GBC 1953/54.

Engineer Road

Gildersome Street.

Ha Ha Road
Ha Ha. A ha-ha is a sunken lane, ditch or wall, and here the sunken wall lies to the left of the footpath. Built originally to prevent cattle from wandering over military land when most of the area was still common land. . The north side of the ha-ha is brick the whole length of 600 metres (excepting breaks for road access). Originally constructed between 1777 and 1804, it separates the Barrack Field from Woolwich Common
Telephone box
Drinking Fountain

Inigo Jones Road,
Association with James I

Jackson Street.

Manor Street (Not on az)

Milward Street (not on az)
These streets are tenanted chiefly by soldiers and their wives and families. The majority are kept by army pensioners who let off to the regiment that happen to be stationed at Woolwich. (Booth)

Repository Road
Repository Gatehouse. A building of c1806 with a classical pedimented portico, converted to a private house.
Gateposts 19th century of the Royal Military Repository, now flanking the beginning the road.
The Royal Military Repository was set up in 1779. The grounds extending north to Hillreach were enclosed in 1805-06, and much of the present wall between Repository Road and Maryon Road survives from that time.
Repository Wood.  Ministry of  Defence and Royal  Artillery training ground.  It was the eastern flank of Hanging Wood. There is a lake, two ponds, grass and waste. Flowers and things and dense woodland -   birch, sycamofre, oak and sweet chestnut. Nice plants in the pond and ducks, coots, but it is part of an assault course..
Army Medical Stores; In The southern part of the wood handsome Edwardian building which was originally the a group of large late 19th century storage buildings- and one building, basically mid 19th century though much altered, with a series of exterior iron columns used to support the roof of adjoining buildings since demolished.

Rotunda Close

Shrapnel Park
staff accommodation for the military hospital. Terraces of white concrete blockwork around  courtyards, one tall block of flats,
Squire House, 1911 neo-Georgian

Stadium Road
Woolwich Stadium occupied a site opposite the Hospital from 1920 to c1975. The outline of the stadium can be readily detected
Gun Park Block
Repository gatehouse
Telephone Box

Woolwich Common
Woolwich Common. The Common originally extended as far as Charlton but was gradually encroached upon by the army. In 1774 The Royal Academy started to take over the land when they built in Academy Road and in 1802 it was purchased by the Ordnance Board for use as a drill ground; they also bought rights over Barracks Field and Repository Ground. Charlton Vestry got nothing for opposition. A shanty town full of cholera grew up and Lady Maryon Wilson replaced it with huts. There were barracks and a hospital on the Common. It is still controlled by the Ministry of Defence and is 'closed' for one day a year.  In 1928 there was a big row and the Ministry of Defence had to promise to leave the Common alone. It lies half way down a five-foot drop from the Blackheath Beds to the London clay - pebbles can seen indicating this drop and the vegetation changes too. It is an old river terrace going down to Woolwich. It is now semi wild land with neutral grassland and flowers. An old filter bed in the south east corner has been colonised by reeds. At the northern end is a low bank and which goes down onto the hard turf on sand and gravel which is the original land surface before infilling. There are wet hollows. The old stadium site supports colourful wasteland flora.  There is acid grassland on the north boundary.  The north part is sometimes used for fairs and circuses while the south part is wild with rough grass, scrubland and thorn thickets. It is managed as a meadow with butterflies and grasshoppers.
Atomic weapons research establishment. Signals experimental station 1916. Wireless, telephonic communication between aeroplanes. Stadium site MOD.  
Site of General Gordon's house, 53, Charlton Way, demolished early 1972.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South Norwood

Bromley by Bow

Phillibrook Stream - Leytonstone