Dulwich

 this post has not been edited or checked

Bassand Street?

1895 artist with picture in Dulwich gallery

Bawdale Road.


Beauval Road

1894 local family Glamis of Camberwell. Lords of Beauvale Dulwich

Tillings have built stables behind the east side 

Blackwater Street.

A large steam laundry has been built on the north side near Lordship Lane 

Boxall Road

Called after Robert Boxall, landlord of the Greyhound, who built cottages Boxall Row


Calton Avenue

Cottan family owned manor after dissolution. Was Green Lane, was Church lane, and was old path across to St.Giles before Dulwich church built

1 Gallery Bookshop

St.Barnabas. made on Newcastle scale and freedom. Sandstone, violet and vermilion, opened in 1894, and became the parish church.  A red brick 19th century structure with a high lofty roof and very fine tower that is perpendicular in style and ornately carved. By W. H. Wood of Oliver, Leeson & Wood of Newcastle. The big square tower was added in 1908. The church is of very red brick with Perpendicular tracery of North English character. Interior with tall octagonal piers without capitals and no division between nave and chancel. Lean-to aisle roofs and small clerestory windows.  Much woodwork of 1895 done by parishioners under the supervision of F. E. Day. Stained glass window by E. B. Powell, 1922, quite good.

Lord Haw Haw on his soap box

Corner with Court Lane cottage, 1814 Manor House or Hall Court

Chesterfield Grove

Built by E.J.Bailey who came from Derbyshire and used road names derived from places there.

College Road

1 the site of James Allen's Girls' School, and later residence of Alfred Janes, artist and friend of Dylan Thomas.

Old College gates, ‘for which Sycamore Lodge was demolished in the late 19th century’

Stella Lodge. Immediately past the gates.  The only freehold home in mostly leasehold Dulwich never acquired by the Estate.  In the mid 19th home of Sir W.T.Douglass who built the Eddystone Lighthouse and various other harbour and sea based constructions.

Howletts Mead home of Sir Noel Hutton, Chairman of the Estates Governors.  Flowering ash or Manna ash in the front garden – very rare.  Also a yellow flowering horse chestnut.

Oakfield, home of R. Low, chairman of the Dulwich Society, 1790. Oriental Plane tree in the garden, scaly bark and pendulous fruit balls.

Colwell Road

Mission Hall converted into a shirt-dressing establishment.  

Court Lane

101, 1760, has canted bay-windows; then in irregular group with a six-bay centre of 1759-60.

103 an addition with a door with a broad fanlight; a more substantial wing built in 1794, projecting forward, with Ionic porch.

142 garden at former home of Anne Shelton (the "Forces' Favourite"), hacking on to trees and rhododendrons of Dulwich Park. Urban garden planted from 1994 featuring rose garden, mixed border with roses, central lawn with fruit trees, vegetable bed, all on a circular theme.

16 1841 nineteenth century villa

53 plainer c 18 altered 1938, also of three storeys, brown brick with red dressings;

57 larger houses, set back from the road, yellow brick, built in 1793;

61-67, post-Second-World-War neo- Georgian

93-95, a clever neo-Georgian pastiche of 1934.

97 is of 1796, tall, five windows wide, with ground-floor windows within arches, and ionic door case.

Ash Cottage

C 20 Tudor, as is most of the west side. Around this nucleus larger detached houses

Cottage of 1814,

Dulwich Court, where Alleyn lived from 1608, has long since vanished. Whether it was merged into Court Farm or became a village house is not known

Old Burial Ground. With iron gates from the early 18th by G.Bamber in 1728.  Alleyn gave the site to the village in 1616 because the village had no church or graveyard of its own and it was used until 1898. It includes Dulwich's 35 victims of the 1665 Great Plague. The last person buried there was Betsey Goodman, father of the landlord of the Crown. Also buried here are Warren Hastings' solicitor and builder of Casino House, Richard Shaw;  ‘Old Bridgett’,  Queen of the Gypsies, Bridget 1768; John Eggleton, a 'player' whose wife was the original Lucy in the Beggar's Opera; Anthony Boheme, 'the famous tragedian'; . Samuel Matthews, the 'Dulwich Hermit'; Mathematician Thomas Jones, fellow and tutor of Trinity College 1807. In the early 19th there were several incidents of attempted body snatching from freshly dug graves.

Opposite was site of stocks and cage

Pair of c19 stucco villas with windows framed in giant arches.

Small c 18-19 cottages and shops on either side of the pub, close to the road,


Crystal Palace Road

90 Uplands Tavern

193 Crystal Palace Tavern

289 Castle Pub

Cyrenea Road

1880 fossil found in Dulwich called Cyrenea.


Dekker Road

Named after Thomas Dekker, the Elizabethan playwright who knew, and wrote to, Alleyn. built in 1909 on college farmlands


Desanfans Road

Benefactor of Dulwich Art Gallery connoisseur; built in 1909 on college farmlands


Dovercourt Road

Bomb seven died


Druce Road

Dulwich College solicitors; built in 1909 on college farmlands

House rebuilt by St.Austin's 1902. Sainsbury's Centre.


Dulwich

‘Dilwihs’ in 967 in Anglo-Saxon charter, ‘Dilwiche’ 1127, ‘Dilewisse’ 1210, ‘Dulwyche’ 1555, that is 'marshy meadow where dill grows', from Old English ‘dlle’ and ‘wise’. The dill plant was used for medicinal purposes from early times. The manor was already divided by the 14th century: East Dulwich is ‘Est Dilewissh’ in 1340; West Dulwich is ‘West Dilwysh’ in 1344. Dulwich is pronounced 'Dullidge'. The first known mention of Dilwys was in 967 when King Edgar granted the manor to one of his thanes. Dulwich has therefore over 1,000 years of recorded history. At one time the area was forest land, part of which still survives as Dulwich Woods and is recalled by the names of Kingswood and Norwood. Charles I and his court hunted here and, to preserve the woods for royalty, citizens were commanded "to forebeare to hunt, chase, molest or hurt the king's stags with guns, greyhounds, or any other means whatsoever".  Set in woods, parks and playing fields, semi-rural Dulwich in south London has been carefully preserved by the major landowner in the area, the Dulwich College Estate. A collegiate village with exclusivity maintained by Dulwich College.

Dulwich Village

Fine collection of 18th suburban dwellings retaining village character. The village street is full of harmony and has a warm mellow style of great charm. It is small wonder that Pickwick, lover of all things English, chose to live here where he had a "garden situated in one of the most pleasant spots near London”.  Chestnut trees in the village planted by James Allen, and he also began the white posts and chains. 

101-103 c.1700. Land by Alleyne. Road widens after it, Woodlawn

Woodlawn – Black Walnut tree in the garden with saw toothed leaves

Bald Cypress tree in the road

18 Dr. Barbour

2 Dr. Finney

31 Art Stationers. Site of Beech House.  Where the first Lucifer matches were reputed to be sold

5 also nineteenth century

25-49 Commerce Place site of the village pond.

50 Rose Cottage 

52 nineteenth century Briar Cottage

57 Georgian. Built 1793

58 Woodbine Cottage

59 Lonsdale Lodge

60 The Laurels survived virtually intact since first built in 1767:

61 was Plasqwyn

61-67 all modern, west side of the street, nearly all 200 years old Georgian brick houses

62 The Hollies survived virtually intact since first built in 1767:

63 was Camden House

70 was the saddler, Flashman Furniture and Car Hire. Little house next door to it, is the same house in Dulwich

73 Crown and Greyhound pub. 1895, cheerfully cross gabled marks the centre of the old village. It replaced two early c 18 inns. Designated a ‘heritage’ inn. The Crown was on this present site and Greyhound was the other side of the road. Dulwich group met there. Land used to belong to the Greyhound. Known throughout Dulwich as 'the Dog', both traveller's rest and 'local',

76 1783

84 1773

86 1773

88 Mitchell Builders and Lloyd’s Yard. Mitchell & Son Ltd occupy the original smithy of Old Clem. Here, every November 9, four days after Guy Fawkes, the village smith would render a salute to his namesake, one of the first shoeing smiths of England, by reversing three anvils outside his forge, charging them with gunpowder and putting the touch paper to them

93-105 modern, 1903 named for road previously called High Street

94-96 are grey brick stucco underneath

97 eighteenth century approach, 1796, John Adock

103 'country garden in London'. Long herbaceous border, spacious lawn, ornamental pond, roses and many and varied other plants, plus fruit and vegetable garden. 

105 mostly herbaceous with lawns and lots of old-fashioned roses. Shrubbery, ornamental pond, water garden. Very pretty garden with many unusual plants.

Bricklayers Arms. Previously called The French Horn built 1740.

Dulwich Hamlet School occupies the two buildings, which once held the children of both Dulwich Infants' School and Dulwich Girls' School.

Fairfield, of which only the wall now remains

Finger Post

Gallery Book Shop on the site of the blacksmiths forge, eighteenth century coach house, nineteenth century house

Long Pond.  some five hundred and fifty feet in length and seventy feet wide, filled in in 1859, and covered by a row of shops. Filled in with spoil from the Southern High Level Metropolitan Main Drainage Tunnel.

Number One, Dulwich Village,

Old College grounds Beech House claimed first place matches made

Post Office

St.Barnabas Public Hall. Stands in testimony to the residents who subscribed the cost of building in 1910. The foundation stone was laid on July 5 by A. Bonar Law.   Art and Crafts style, with big sweeping roofs, tile-hung gable, and cupola.

White Cottage

Wood Yard at the back of Barclay’s  Bank. Belonged to Dulwich College and where faggots for the poor were stacked

Ye Olde Tucke Shopp evokes memories of the traditional atmosphere of the Village.

East Dulwich

Is dull late c 19 suburban

East Dulwich Grove

Used to be called Bailey's Grove after a local landowner

Sainsbury's sports centre

Camberwell Enterprise Building Group

James Allen Girls’ School. James Allen was an 18th century master of the College. It is thought to be the oldest girls' school in London. It was founded in 1741 when James Allen, Master of Alleyn's College of God's Gift at Dulwich, gave some property in Kensington to endow his new school. He stipulated that the profits be applied 'towards finding a school mistress or mistresses to be resident in Dulwich for the instructing and teaching such and so many poor boys to read and so many poor girls to read and sew...' The school started in two rooms in the Bricklayers Arms, in Dulwich Village. In 1857, an Act of Parliament passed to reorganize Alleyn's College of God's Gift and decreed that what was then called the Dulwich Free School should educate girls only. Was now restricted to girls and the school moved to new premises further along the village in 1866; the buildings are still used by Dulwich Hamlet School. The school became known as James Alien's Girls' School in 1878 and moved to its present site in East Dulwich Grove in 1886 onto land through the Bessemer estate. Early c20 neo-Georgian buildings.  Playing fields on the site of the railway. Wood was planned as a new thicket. Tennis courts are on melon grounds of Hill House. This is now one of the leading girls' public schools with 510 pupils, a handsome range of buildings. Sir Ernest Shackleton, the Arctic explorer - a prized school memento is the boat in which this Old Alleynian rescued his companions who were marooned on Elephant Island in 1915. Botany Gardens were created in the school grounds soon after Dr Lilian Clarke joined the staff in 1896. It was the first such experiment by a school in this country. A further pioneering step was taken in 1902 when the country's first school laboratory equipped solely for botanical study was established. Composer Gustav Hoist began teaching at JAGS in 1904. - Memorial window in the school hall. Jonathan Miller opened the Prissian Theatre, named after former headmistress Iris Prissian, in 1983. JAGS was the first girls' school in the country with its own purpose-built theatre. When the lease expired on Bessemer’s model farm, it was conveyed to James Allen's Girls' school for a nominal sum. In the 1960s the near-derelict model farm was replaced by a new pavilion which was later converted into the Music School

Botany Gardens, neglected from 1939- 1984, wide range of habitats, ponds, bridge over the railway and lane, wood, meadow. Heath and sand dune. Historic botany garden dating from 1896. Wildlife ponds, woodland area, osier beds, country lane, bordered by hedgerow and ditch. Many varieties of wild flowers

King's Head.  rebuilt in 1770 with cottages, stalls and courtyard. Very posh inside. Closed 1810 and divided into two cottages - Retreat and Ivy House. Until 1899 Estate  Previously called the Crooked Billet

75 Springer's Wine Bar. Interesting pub style tiling

Eastlands Crescent

1931 estate there called that because east side of the College; was a school

Felbrigg Road?

1897 Norfolk name of the Wyndham family of Cardinal Bourgeois

Gilkes Grove

Mansion of de Coll 1889-1914. 1923 site of horse pond. Gilkes was the master of Dulwich College from 1865-14

Glengarry Road

Goodrich Road.

Great Spillmans

Local field name

Green Dale

two lodges.  One on the St Olave's Recreation Ground and the other on Sir H Bessemer's estate 

Hansler Road.

Heber Road

3 Heber Arms

A few houses on north side near Lordship Lane 2-storey and 3-storey.  Remainder 2-storey houses with bay windows. A few shops near the Board School. Houses on north side, west of Cyrena Rd, are better than the rest. People are not allowed to take lodgers. (Booth)

Hillsborough Road

Place where Alleyn had property.

Jennings Road.

Landcroft Road

Plot 1867 lot of land of Frien Manor

Landells Road

Ebenezer Landells lived in Dulwich, started Punch and worked in the Greyhound, 1868

108 Bernardi's Vineyard

Lordship Lane

Named from the title ‘Lordshipp’ 1609, from Middle English lordship 'a manor or estate', probably with reference to the old manor of Friern owned by Holywell Priory in Shoreditch- Lordship Lane formed the boundary between this manor and Dulwich.

1 East Dulwich Tavern

14 Chener Books

17 South London Christian Bookshop

27 Foresters’ Arms

Dulwich Wells near corner of Dulwich Common & eighteenth century spa

91 Lord Palmerston. Furnished in stately home style

211 Magdala

381 The Plough.  Bus terminus. In 1805 this was a shack.Arts and Crafts conservatory. Plough by Dulwich College in 1838 sold to the railway because of big profits.

Moria Close, handicapped peoples scheme to eliminate sense of isolation

Lytcott Grove

Named after family that had died of the plague

1943 bombed and 10 people died

Allsopps bottling store close to the wall of Alleyn's School

Melbourne Grove


North Cross Road

North Croft Road piece of land

Pellatt Road.

Crystal Palace Rd.

Plough Lane

Tiny pond managed by London Wildlife Trust.

Two cottages on south side and another detached house. Men work for a milkman, about l0/- a week. (Booth)

Rodwell Road

Landell's daughter’s father in law. The White House green still there.

Police station opened 1881 after the Charlie Peace burglaries

Shawbury Road.

The Salvation Army has a large hall in this road. 

Silvester Road.

East Dulwich Provident Dispensary, the popular medical resort. People pay a weekly subscription. Sometimes the attendance is so large that they have to have a policeman to regulate it. 

Tarbert Road.

Thompson Road.

Thorncombe Road.

Townley Road

Especially made in order to give ample access from Lordship Lane. The road took its name from Margaret Townley, the mother of Edward Alleyn, founder of Dulwich College.

Christ Church Presbyterian Church of England 1890. Bombed and demolished. Vicarage still there.

Alleyn's School. Dates from 1887 when it was built to house the Lower College of God's Gift This establishment, called after the 17th century founder, had 810 boys in 1960 and a range of well equipped buildings surrounded by playing fields.  The new school contained sixteen classrooms, offices, kitchens and servants' quarters but it had no gym and the field was a wilderness where the pheasant waged incessant war on the mangel-wurzel'. A path, wide enough to take a horse and cart, was cut from Dulwich Village to Alleyn's to enable easy access. This path was called 'Smith's Walk' and named after the headmaster the Revd J.H. Smith; it finished up opposite the front door of the school. Re-organisation of Dulwich College in 1881, building in 1887. Pioneer in day schools house system, partly rebuilt in 1939 and 1964.  During the First World War 264 Old Boys were killed. They are remembered by the school organ above the platform in the Great Hall, which was installed in their memory. In 1920 R.B. Henderson, who had been Master at Rugby School, became headmaster. He revolutionised ideas within the school. He once said, 'it will be boys you will teach here, not subjects'. Parents were told that the whole waking time of the boy belonged to the school. Private again in 1958, independent again in 1976. Girls from 1976.  In 1975 a major change of direction came when the first girls entered the school in the sixth form. The following year the school became co-educational with a first year intake of thirty girls. Various new buildings have been added to the school in recent years.  Formal late c19 Jacobean front with cupola. Later additions

Near junction bombed 20 killed.

Greater part of road abuts on cricket fields and the grounds of Alleyn s School.  

Trossachs Road.

Ulverscroft Road

Local field name.

Wellington Place?

Wellington House was police station, lot of fuss because no station in Dulwich

Whateley Road.

Woodwarde Road

1884 Alleyn's first wife


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South Norwood

Bromley by Bow

Phillibrook Stream - Leytonstone