This post has not been edited or checked
Garages, rear access road from Hengrave Road, line of the canal
West and south sides of the road rear garden boundary is the canal's west bank
66 was no 5 Bovill Terrace. Home of Walter de la Mare 1877-1887
73 General Napier
Christ Church. 1852-62 by Ewan Christian. Sited prominently on a hilltop, with a tower. The original parish church of Forest Hill, tower and spire not built until 1885. The interior has lost its original impact, because an upper floor was inserted at the west end in the 1970s and the sanctuary partitioned off c 1992. In the north aisle is a stained glass window by Sir Ninian Comper 1936.
Churchyard near the church entrance, to the left a red granite obelisk over 'the family grave of George and Mary Baxter' 1867. and to the right a gravestone to the architect Alexander Heid 1838-1915 and family; by the west wall, a memorial in the form of a pinnacle to members of the Tetley tea merchant family, from 1872.
1/13 David’s Road is a terrace of 1864; some houses have altered ground floors. The houses were erected in the bed of the Croydon Canal. 13a-13 remain from around the late 1860s beside the highest section of pavement. Some others have now been replaced
Raised pavement was the canal towpath, on the east side of the canal.
13, now Kingdom Hall of Jehovah’s Witnesses, was previously in use as Forest Hill Workingmen’s Club and as the Mission Hall for St Paul, Waldenshaw Road.
St John’s United Reformed Church Centre, It was built 1871 as the church hall for St Johns Presbyterian Church, Devonshire Road (demolished 1983).
The line of the canal remained traceable between Woodcote Crescent and David's Road up until very recently and only in 1985 was it first developed for residential purposes.
Fire Hydrant at Devonshire Road corner. Gone, it was alongside a coffee stall which has also gone. Pipes from the road go up the side of the pavement going under the pavement to a stop cock.
Developed from the 1860s. Portion of the road called Canal Road until 1867. Remains of canal were on the West Side.
7 Pie and Kilderkin,. Was the Railway Signal, also called Hobgoblin, nicely rounding the comer with Davids Road, is a pub c.1862, extended in the late 19th century. Reid’s Brewery mirrors behind the bar.
61 Post Office Sorting Office an Edwardian baroque building. Note the fine frieze, pediment, and royal arms above the central window, the curved parapets on either side, or the ER ciphers over side windows.
Two Penfold hexagonal pillar-boxes, almost certainly of the 1870s: in the northern part, outside no 202; and in the central part, at the junction with Benson Road. Oak leaves. Manufactured in Dudley.
K2 red lift-iron telephone kiosk, to the design of Sir Giles Gilbert Scott 1927
Edward VII letterbox.
Toilets at David’s Road corner. Two storey building with underground gents. Closed.
Devonshire Road Nature reserve. One of a chain of reserves following the railway line to London Bridge. The site was saved following a campaign led by the Forest Hill Forum, which opposed the cutting down of vegetation by British Rail, from 1979. Lewisham Council, which promotes the site as an educational reserve with community involvement in its management. The six-acre reserve supports a community of plants and animals, and offers visitors a chance to enjoy some wilderness . There is a classroom on the site. Between 1809 and 1836 the - site was crossed by the Croydon Canal, later (1842-4,7), by the Croydon Atmospheric Railway and now belongs to British Rail, and has remained relatively undisturbed for over 50 years.
Curve of the canal crosses, then it curved round the hill, crossed the railway and crossed the road again. Canal in water and used for skating until the 1870s as far as Davis Road. Its next curve took it across Devonshire Road and curves round the hill east of the railway to return and recross the road. Continual problems with the railway cutting has ensured there are no traces left.
Haweis Wharf, west of Devonshire Road at northern extremity of Sydenham Common
St John. United Reformed, former Presbyterian. 1884 by J. T. Barker, French Gothic, very large, pinnacled spire. Demolished.
GLC housing. Low rise 1978
Forest Hill. Recorded thus in 1797 and on the Ordnance Survey map of 1816, area developed from the early 19th century and named from the once extensive tract of woodland in this area called ‘la Forest de Leuesham’ - 'the forest of Lewisham' in 1292 and ‘Forest Wood’ in 1520, from ME/Forest 'wooded area set aside for hunting'.
Between Honor Oak and Forest Hill the land was mainly owned by Lord St.Germain, and here it cut through his forest. The hill to the west above the forest, along what we now call Honor Oak Road, was already a place of residence before the canal was built - the original Forest Hill. The view above shows some of its houses on the skyline. The area was formerly on Sydenham Common, near the north east edge, with the nearest habitation being the small settlement of Perry Stow just to the south east. Four roads met at a swing bridge over the canal, and using the modern names, they were - Stanstead Road and a part of Perry Vale from the north east, Perry Vale from the south east, London Road from the west, and Dartmouth Road from the south. The 1819 Lewisham Award that obliterated the Common resulted in development around the canal bridge, the earliest being along Dartmouth Road and Stanstead Road. As first built the railway was crossed in much the same fashion here, but by a level crossing. The subway under the railway is its successor, when the new road was built to the north. The area had grown sufficiently for the railway to provide a station here from the outset, and called it Dartmouth Arms after the adjacent and newly 1894 built inn, itself named after Lord Dartmouth, a local landowner. Built with its platforms stretching south from the crossing, was right up by it. Work for that laid on the east side, involved the removal of level crossings and the building of engine houses to contain the pumping engines. Forest Hill was to be the main passing place between Croydon and London, and consequently to have the largest engine house to work both sections. Like all the engine houses, it was built in a very ornamental ecclesiastical style, and contemporary illustrations have it attached to the rear of the station building. The area did not develop much until after the railway came in 1839. On the London Road a few mid c19 classical terraces; in the roads to the North Italianate villas of the same period, especially in Honor Oak Road, where there are also a few older houses
3 The Coach House, Sculptor's mature courtyard garden.
Part of forest owned by Earl St. Germains. This road was the original Forest Hill, laid out in the 1780s. The area retains a strong appeal, with a mix of early, mid and late 19th century houses, postwar developments, which are mostly in a sympathetic style. The road winds along the shoulder of a ridge, with higher ground to the west and quite nice views to the east. Originally called Forest Hill, the new name was a developer’s invention.
18 in part the lodge of a house called The Manor. The tall stuccoed section in the centre of this long block is an early 19th century house once called Forest Hill House
53 include a tall central section, which is basically the site of Tewkesbury Lodge. Tewkesbury Lodge was a large mansion facing Honor Oak Road, built in 1855, and demolished c1930. Horniman Drive and Liphook Crescent were subsequently laid down in the grounds. There are some interesting survivals from the grounds and the area around
64 Hill House is in part the oldest house in the street. Plain brick part to the left with its Doric porch is c.1796; the part to the right Italianate window-cases was added c1843.
147 Belmont, a large rambling house of 1895 with gabled rustic porch, nice brickwork, and a hall with a cupola.
175 mid 19th century, with a rustic porch, fantastic barge boarding, Tudor and Gothic windows;
74/82 form an impressive classical group near the bottom of the hill on the west side.
76 is a detached house c.1842. The modem house alongside is an extension
78/80 are a handsome pair of the late 1840s, with stuccoed and rusticated floor and porches with fluted Ionic columns.
82 is detached with a strong porch, c 1854.
A lane normally closed leads up to the grassed top of an old reservoir; it was constructed 1887, but has not been in use since the early 20th century.
Ashberry Cottage. Story that it is the place of a Civil War battle, 1643. Also supposed to be haunted, cannon ball in the garden. A highly attractive house. Great rusticated and stuccoed bows through two storeys on either side of the entrance are the dominant feature, and the floor above is of brick with hands of window-cases. A plaque says: 'Here lived William Duke of Clarence later King William IV & Mrs Dorothea Jordan actress'. However, this is very doubtful, as the house was not built until after their relationship ceased in 1811. With a royal coat of arms over the back door.
Fairlawn. A school of 1957 designed by Peter Moro. Back from the road, a line of projecting glazed infant school classrooms recedes left to right, all linked by a long low block at the rear. Behind and running is the Hall, and at right angles to this going westwards the junior school. In front, to the right, a separate classroom on columns projecting was added in 1966, and to the left a separate classroom added in 1989, the additions being in similar postwar modernist style. It is very imaginative, taking advantage of the fine location on a slope with fine views. High up, overlooking Honor Oak Road. Curtain-walled classrooms with glazed hall at right angles; light, airy, and undated.
Hamilton Lodge now Eurocentre. Built by Tewkesbury Lodge owner, Charles Bayer for his son, at the northern edge of the estate. It is a large and handsome red brick house in arts & crafts style, with a rounded projecting corner.
Havelock House. Built 1900 for owner of Tewkesbury Lodge, Charles Bayer, for his daughter at the southern edge of the estate. It is a harmonious and handsome house in Queen Ann style, with a semi-circular porch and four fine dormers. Two houses of c. 1900 built by the last owner, Mr Beyer, for his son and daughter also survive at the extremities of the former estate. Now part of the Metropolitan Police complex.
Path to Reservoir built by the Lambeth Water Company in 1887. Because of a border dispute with the Kent Water Company water was not supplied continuously so it is supplied with an automatic water tank.
On the Colfe Estates field called Great Ozey
23 Bayer's Folly. Tower. Nineteenth century garden building for Tewkesbury Lodge. Now in a garden of Liphook Crescent. Erected c.1880 in the grounds at the rear of Tewkesbury Lodge. It is quite difficult to see and the only view from the road is between no 23 and a neighbouring house. It is octagonal, of ragstone with strong stone dressings, two storeys high with a belvedere on the roof, accessed by a spiral staircase. Late c 19, octagonal, of rubble. This was a garden building
There are fantastic views over the west and over Central London.
29 King's Garth. The fine central Italianate part with a balcony was built in 1850 as a pair; the left porch has survived, but the right has disappeared as part of an extension called Princes Garth, of 1908 developer Arthur Dorrell. The similar extension to the left is also by Dorrel 1908.
Dorrell Estate, which extends for some distance along London Road, is named after Arthur Dorrell, who incorporated some mid 19th century houses with development from c.1900; Lewisham Council has added further buildings since bought the estate in 1975.
67/77 London Road is a long and bulky but rather g block consisting of two pairs and one detached villa of the late 1840s, linked by c.1900. The most prominent features are the protruding square bays with inset columns at first floor level which were the porches of the original houses, the staircases leading up to them having gone. Note the elegant balconies of the original houses
79/85 is similar but not so long; it consists of one pair of the 1840s, with an extension c.1900 to the west.
Silverdale Lodge a large white building late 1840s, its central porch flanked by full height canted bays
Former Zion Baptist Chapel, a large and rather forlorn white brick building of 1878. The chapel closed 1973, and the building has been integrated into an industrial estate.
On both sides groups of interesting houses before the road bends and descends to the railway.
2 plaque to Dietrich Bonhoeffer, large, stuccoed, mid 19th century, has a Lewisham Council plaque: 'Dietrich Bonhoeffer 1906-1945 theologian and pastor lived here 1933-35'. Bonhoeffer was pastor of the German Evangelical Church in Dacres Road and this house was both the manse and a German school. On his return to Germany he became actively involved in the resistance to the Nazis. He was arrested in 1943, and executed in April 1945, a few weeks before the end of the war.
Cottage late 19th century cottage orne with decorated bargeboards.
4/6, large, stuccoed, mid 19th century, was from 1875 to 1917 the forerunner of Sydenham School. Extension to the right is c.1890.
8 is a distinctive red brick arts & crafts house of 1883, with a Gothic porch and tile hung gables, built by Edward Mountford as the Vicarage for St Paul’s Church, Walldenshaw Road (destroyed 1944).
10/18 are strange Gothic stuccoed houses with Gothic porches and windows,
Pond on the site to collect water from high ground for the canal
53 Corner plot with spectacular views over London. Front garden inspired by Beth Chatto's dry garden, with stunning borders in soft mauves, yellows and white. Rear garden on three levels. Themed beds, some shaded, others sunny. Large pond; patio with pergola.
Previously Forest Vale. On Roque it is Steucers Lane, and it is Staneyhurst Lane in 17th. At the century’s beginning, there were no buildings at all here, the road itself being along the north eastern edge of Sydenham Common
112 Railway Telegraph pub. Shepherd Neame tied house in 1970s. An imposing pub c.1853, with a central ’PW’ in the distinctive projecting ground floor. It was handsomely restored in 1998.
Terrace On the west side of the road, lying close to the railway bank, cottages. the last house in the terrace differs in that it has slit windows on either side of the house and in studying this small building you will find other interesting features.
Posts two metal posts denoting that this marks the property of St. Olave's, Hart Street. One post is quite conspicuous the other one is not far away
319 Blythe Hill Tavern
63, a small early Victorian workshop style building. It has been recorded as a canal horse stable, with its plaque showing. Three lions in a boat as referring to the canal company. Its origin is as yet unknown, but the building was, not erected until well after the canal had closed. It arrived mid century, shortly after, and in the garden of the house just to its south.
'Forest Hill Hotel'. Plans of 1836 clearly show buildings here, but the most northerly of the group of five houses shown was the forerunner of the present day hotel. It is a 1937 structure on the old site, and the other four older buildings to the south had been replaced by the century's end
3 home of Henry Cox entomologist. Linnean Society
Formerly part of Park Road which was built over nursery ground,
unusual building built into the side of the railway bridge.
Gents urinal. closed
l In 1846, were built near the Dartmouth Arms station and engine sheds by the railway company, so that the enginemen should be near their work.
Corner with Stanstead Road and built into the bridge brickwork is a small cottage
It was probably built here shortly after the new road was built under the railway in the winter of 18434. It has been suggested it was for an engineman of the atmospheric engine house
Triangular area between road and railway was a coal depot with sidings at running line level 18. The triangular area between road and railway was a coal depot, with sidings laid in at running line level above about 1870, and probably the cottage was connected with the security or administration of the yard.
2 formerly called The White House, a large stuccoed house probably c.1815, and possibly a rebuild incorporating an earlier smaller house. Difficult to see properly behind fencing, railings, and trees. It has a Doric porch off the lane to the left, which leads to the coach house. 1780s
19 West sloping family garden dominated by old oak tree. Large vegetable and fruit garden, perennials, climbers, pots and small ponds for abundant wildlife.
Coach House, stuccoed originally built for White House.
Canal traceable from here to David's Road until recent redevelopment