Hounslow West

 this post has not been checked or edited

Crossways

Heston Hall,

Heston End

Hounslow West

New district formed on part of Hounslow Heath in the late 19th.

Bath Road

Ambassador Cinema 

Hounslow West Station. 21st July 1884. Between Hounslow Central and Hatton Cross on the Piccadilly Line Metropolitan District Railway opened as s ‘Hounslow Barracks’. Hounslow and Metropolitan District Line terminus on a loop line, which no longer exists. 1884-1975. was Hounslow Barracks Station, opened 21st July 1884, with shuttle service from Osterley by the District Railway. Trains ran in 1903 on a line which had been laid many years previously.  Trains ran from Hounslow Town Station. It was a subway track for a while, doubled in 1926. The original station was stock brick and booking hall but only one platform. The new station uses the original entrances but the Holden building has been kept. It was renamed Hounslow West on 1st December 1925 and a new station was opened on 11th December 1926 rebuilt as tube station.  1931 a Portland station, heptagonal hall, shops, offices & car park floodlit at night. Piccadilly Line trains from 1933. A new platform for the Heathrow Link was built when the line was extended to Heathrow in 1977 after quarter of a century of discussion.  .  Island platforms linked with a covered walkway to the existing ticket hall. Bus layby and car park outside.

St Paul's church, 1873

Salvation Army barracks

Sutton Way

Westway

Traveller’s Friend pub only building in the area in the early 19th.  Has since become a Macdonalds

Cut and cover trench alongside the road for the tube extension to Heathrow.

London Road

Dominion Cinema On 28 December 1931, Bromige's cinema, was opened. This latest Dominion was a much more substantial 2,022 seater with a very wide auditorium and an unusually shallow circle to the rear. It had boldly designed ventilation grilles on either side of the screen with zig-zag shapes and large uplighters on either side. The facade was a sturdy-looking stucco portico with buttressed walls and vaguely Mayan overtones, which fronted an otherwise dull and conventional brick shed with an asbestos roof. While externally it certainly was not one of Bromige's best designs, its angular appearance was very much of its time. The building was quickly sold to London and Southern Cinemas and passed with that circuit to Odeon in the spring of 1938. The Dominion closed in December 1961 and quickly became a bingo hall, which it remains

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South Norwood

Bromley by Bow

Phillibrook Stream - Leytonstone