London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
Eltham Well Hall
this post has not been checked or edited
Post to the south Eltham Centre
Hutments built in the First World War.
Cakehill Lane went north from here,
curving round the foot of the cemetery hill, before going towards Hill Farm and
Shooters Hill Road by the present gate to the old Naval College sports ground.
Hut which was used as a church before St. Barnabas was built.It was then used as a church hall until the
Hutments built in the First World War.
Boundary post once stood at the
One of a series of road names on the
Progress Estate with connections to the workplace of the munitions workers for
whom it was built.
Southern boundary of Middle Farm
The Lower Kid Brook follows the road
but then turns south towards the Rochester Way at its junction with Wendover
The Earliest bit of the Corbett estate
to be developed
44 Birthplace of Bob Hope
picturesque groups on either side of the junction with Well Hall Road.
Built by Corbett in 1909
Earliest bit of the Corbett estate to
Gordon School.1904 by T.J. Bailey, for the London School Board. A late three-decker school, with
giant arches, steep open pediment, and
yellow terracotta trim. Huts survive
which were put up in 1913 to provide temporary classroom accommodation for
children from the Progress Estate.
Hutments provided here in the First
Shops at the Junction with Rochester
Way. These were the successors of various huts.Became Pat’s Corner and the last hut only went in 1965.
Earliest bit of Corbett estate to be
Tiny scrap still left – the rest of
the road exists but under different names. This was the main road through
Kidbrook which ran northwest / south east. Described as the royal carriage
route between Eltham and Greenwich palaces.
village green fringed by houses. The footpath leads into Well Hall Road
Phineas Pett Road
name with connections to Woolwich Dockyard
'Garden suburb' estate of 1,200 houses,
greens, trees, curving roads and footpaths, and array of house styles. It was a
government development built during the First World War to house
munitions workers. It was conceived, planned, and built in less than a year. Design
was by the Office of Works under the, Frank Baines, a former pupil of C. R.
Ashbee, and it was intended as a showpiece solution to emergency housing
problems created by the war following the low-density principles established by
known the Well Hall Estate, it was renamed Progress Estate when it was bought
by the Royal Arsenal Co-operative Society in 1925.The houses are now owned by a Housing
Association, though some are private.In
the 1920s Rochester Way was built slicing it in two. It is a virtuoso re-creation of the 'old English
village'. Tiles supplied by Halls.
Line runs around the Well Hall Estate
on a dangerous kink.The line should
have run north but the owner of Well Hall, Sir Henry Page-Turner Barron forced
Parliamentary consent for Well Hall Station.
Developed in the 1880s and was then
called Woodville Road.From Brook Lane
to Well Hall it follows the line of Kidbrook Lane. The arterial road was opened in 1928.
A dip at Briset Road is where the
Lower Kidbrook emerges after skirting the Samuel Montague Sports Ground.
Dip where Mid Kidbrook crossed north
of Dursley Road.
Chandlers Farm was east of the road
and consisted of two fields of market gardens owned by the Drapers' Company
St.Barnabas. It was originally the chapel of the
Royal Naval Dockyard at Woolwich built 1859; by Sir George Gilbert Scott and in
1933 bodily removed and re- erected, brick by brick on its present site. It was
gutted by bombs in the Second World War. The interior is by Thomas Ford in 1957,
447 Howerd Club. Small club at the
rear of St Barnabas church hall. Founded by a former vicar, the pub takes its
name from Frankie Howerd, the comedian, who was born locally.
curving, with raised pavement;
enclosed and intimate green, with a footpath leading under a house into
Whinyates Road. Named for Paul Sandby who worked at the Royal Military Academy
Well Hall Road
terrace facing a green
Well Hall can be traced back to the Norman Conquest, and a complete
list of owners exists dating from 1253.In the early 16th William Roper, who had married Sir Thomas More's
daughter Margaret in 1521, built a Well Hall on the site of an earlier moated house
of which nothing remains.In 1733 it was
bought by Sir Gregory Page, to add to his Wricklemarsh estate.He demolished the Tudor house and built a new
mansion on the east side of the moat. 1899 - 1922 this was the home of Edith
Nesbit and her husband Hubert Bland.This house was damaged by fire in 1926, and the site was bought by the
Metropolitan Borough of Woolwich in 1930 to become the gardens of Well Hall
Pleasaunce.The house was demolished,
and a surviving Tudor building, now known as the Tudor Bam.
Tudor Barn. Its original purpose is unknown, but it
was not a barn. It was inhabited because there are original chimneys and two
fireplaces. The windows follow the original pattern. At ground level are
several blind windows originally decorated with coloured plaster. It has an Oak
timbered roof.William Roper’s monogram
is beneath the southeast corbel and a coat of arms on the north front has the
date 1568, but the building is probably earlier. In the west wall is a small
stained glass window showing Thomas More and his daughter Margaret Roper,
designed after Holbein's portrait by Margaret Cowell 1949, restored by Susan
Ashworth 1992. It was converted to an art gallery and restaurant. The art
gallery closed in 1991
With Tudor brick banks.An extension to it runs along the west side
of the Tudor Barn.
bridge. There is also a modern wooden bridge over the moat to the west.
Well Hall Pleasaunce. Noted
for its spring bulbs.Sections of the original
Tudor garden walls to the south remain. The Park entrance gates have the old ‘WBC’
badge.It was Laid out in 1936 with the medieval
moat, a scented garden for the blind, fishpond and a bowling green, plus woodland
lawns and gardens, a waterfall; a winding stream and fountain. In the east wall
are niches for braziers, used to keep the frost off delicate fruits or which
may have been bee-boles.There is a wild
area on the western side.
RACS store. Reading room and library
Coronet Cinema.A former Odeon cinema of 1936 by Andrew
Mather with art deco features. There was a projecting glass staircase tower and
the circular canopy over the entrance.The interior of the foyer was also circular, with a circular wooden
ticket box and the word Odeon in green and red mosaic set into the floor.
Martyrs Church.Roman Catholic Church,
dedicated to St John Fisher and St Thomas More.A brick church, by O'Hanlon Hughes 1936. The functional interior has embodies
two pioneering structural features, - the aisle roofs are unsupported by
pillars, and the main lighting is by a series of circular windows in the nave
and aisle roofs.On either side of the
sanctuary are stone bas-relief statues of the two martyrs by Lindsay
Clarke.In a small chapel is a stained
glass window by David Whalley 1988.
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by
Phillibrook Stream The Phillibrook, or Fillebrook, comes through this area and flows south west Post to the west Leyton Post to the south Leytonstone Post to the east Wanstead - Golf course and basin A12 Section through Leytonstone opened in 1999 as the Hackney-M11 link road Aylmer Road. London City Mission . Building dates from 1885. It was later a clothing factory Browning Road This was Back Lane which went from the High Road to the Forest. Also known as Green Man Lane and in 1893 as Park Road. It became Browning Road in 1900 Cottages built by Lord Wellesley, probably in the 1840’s, to house the workforce which serviced local big houses. 24 North Star . Built as a 'beer house by Lord Wellesley. It was originally two cottages knocked together and first referred to in 1858. There was an off-sales serving hatch. It is either named after a famous steamship or famous train or a ship which an early landlord sailed on. Henry Reynolds Gardens . This is a small park n