London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
Roman road supposedly ran across it. Marked thus near to ‘Blythe House’ built
c.1830 on Bacon's map of 1888, possibly a transferred name or so called from the surname of some
local person or family.
. To the north of Blythe Hill are the open
fields previously mentioned as stretching to the south from Brockley Grove.
Blythe Hill Fields.
London County Council 1935. They had bought up Blythe Hill Farm which
had also taken over the grounds of Blythe Hill House. Has in the centre a large grassed mound, 70 metres high, which provides
sensational views on all sides except to the west; there is a particular! Good
panorama to the north, covering Shooters Hill, Hilly Fields with Prendergast
School, Canary Wharf, and the National Westminster Tower. Trees planted for the
coronation of George VI.
Modern design and a reference point for Roman Road dig 1962. Now gone.
Toilets on the
east side of the childrens’ playground., demolished 1992.
Blythe Hill Lane
A rural lane leading from Stanstead Road up to Blythe Hill
Fields. Together with neighbouring roads - Winterstoke Road, Blythe Hill,
Ravensbourne Road - it forms a distinct enclave, with many houses of the 1860S
within an otherwise predominantly Edwardian area.
2 a late 19th century house, two recent sundial designed
by Ray Ashley - one on the chimneystack with the legend ‘Time can do much', and
one on the west side with the legend ‘The day flies on'
Blythe Hill House, built 1842 and designed by Samunel
Teulon.demolished c1895. It was to the
south and its grounds became a large part of the Fields
Fire hydrant iron
Very few houses in it on the east side, and these 2-storey
houses, are south of Blythe Hill, rather than south of UpperWinchester Rd. No dwellings south of Lower
Winchester Road (Booth)
Old lane on old maps called Stoney Street
The south end, overlooking the Cemetery has a new row of
small 2-storey.Occupied by clerks etc,
no servants. Begins just west of Arthurdon Street and the new houses a little
way along on the south side. On the north is the Cemetery, with its Lodge.
Further along is Haddon (now Joy) Farm, coming down. West of this house
building until the other end of Chudleigh Road is reached, then a few more
houses like the new houses in Ladywell Road. On the north side, east of Merritt
Road are new 2-storey houses. Smaller. Between .Merritt Road and Lindal Road
are new 2-storey houses with attics. Then older houses, 2-storey West only one
house. The Grove is continued round the bend facing the open front of Brockley
Hall. 2-storey houses. Occasional servants, "a better class than they
look”. Cases of afternoon house-breaking; in one recently "a lot of stuff
"taken. At the extreme corner are two old cottages. Brockley Hall is
occupied by the family of Nokes (deceased), big brewers. At this point in this
section there are no houses till those in Ravensbourne Park and Blythe Hill are
St William of York a Roman Catholic brick church with considerable extensions of 1931
on both sides. It is classical, with deep aisles, and a fine doorcase with
Byzantine columns and shell hood. The interior is attractive, top-lit by a
small square window in the centre of a fine wooden roof. The chancel is of
1986, with orientation north; behind the altar is a circular window with brightly
coloured stained glass Goddard & Gibbs. At the rear of the church is an
arcade with Byzantine columns.
self build houses next to the school
built by Lewisham Council 1980, is at the top of the hill. Partly weather boarded
houses are in imaginatively grouped clusters around a large but secluded green, and there are similar houses nearby.The road outside provides
a fantastic view across to the ridges formed by Honor Oak Road and Sydenham Hill, with the tower of
Horniman Museum in between.
yellow brick terraces of the 1970s an interesting example of more recent
trends. Homely timber-framed, partly weather
boarded clusters of imaginativelygrouped houses, around
a secluded green...A special feature is the
flexible planning which allows for anadditional
front room or garage. By the Borough of LewishamArchitect's
Department, Geoffrey Wigfall. 1978-80.
56 The Chandos, an imposing pub of
1857.cheapest pub in the area.Model of the Burton Union system of brewing.
1865-6 by W. Smith, completed 1875 and 1928, truncated after war damage.
St Georges Church Hall, originally St Georges Slum School
and Parish Room of 1889, now serving as the Church; like the church, has some
128 former Catford Police Station, an impressive long red
brick building of 1891.
Prince Henry was the Place House
Tavern with an alleged haunted cellar. closed
King's Church, or Catford Hill Baptist Church, built 1880;
under the gabled east end are chequer work and a Gothic window.
Horse trough at junction with Stanstead Road. Gone.
Bombed 8.12.40 50 casualties
Late Canterbury Road.
Fire hydrant iron pavement cover. Made by Blakeborough of
Fire hydrant iron pavement cover. Made by Stantonwith Thames Water logo
Bombed 1940, school destroyed
Lower Winchester Road (Not on AZ)
more self-build houses of 1996 on the south side backing onto Segal Close.
stuccoed Italianate pair c 1870, with towers at each end.Note the numerous
narrow round-headed windows - pairs in the towers, tripletselsewhere.
steeply up to Blythe Hill Fields.BetweenLowther Hill and
Duncombe Hill is a private oblong of wooded open space, with nopublic access.
Is the name of the murderer of Edward II who was rewarded with the manor
Italianate pair, probably c1860, a full-height gently bowed extension, probably
of the late 1860s.
Rathfern School, a pleasant London School Board building
of 1887, distinguished by tall pedimented windows which protrude into the
gables; the smaller building to the south is 1900.
Fire hydrant iron pavement cover. Made by Blakeborough of
Ravensbourne Park Crescent
57 one of a pair facing the Gardens from the west,
originally Italianate houses c1860 with Doric porches. In 1885 changed in an
extraordinary way - it was extended to the left, given three dramatic top
storey` bows, and a grand staircase leading up to the Doric porch to which
square pillars were added. In the 1970s it was extended upwards in an
unpathetic way, with a top floor and dormers added.
59 remains unaltered.
build houses - Attractive narrow close off Brockley Park, with seven timber- clad self-build houses based on the Walter Segal
concept, completed 1981.It was the
earliest of the social self-build schemes of Lewisham; built by Jon Broome of
Architype in 1978.
1 St.Germain Hotel
Rural survival, a private close,
The Coach House, steep gabled was the coach-house for
Stanstead Villa, a large mid 19th century house to the demolished in the late
Tye Garage. Now a modern building. In the 1920s site of a private bus
co. garage. Traded as Edward Paul Ltd. until 1949.
319 Blythe Hill Tavern, pub c1866. development followed
the pub. Has become an Irish pub. Lively
locals' pub on the South Circular, A three-roomed, two-bar pub, it is larger
than the exterior suggests.
250 Stanstead Lodge, A large and fanciful stuccoed
villa probably of 1842, with battlemented front and west side.a large Tudor villa ofc. 1840, stuccoed, with crowstepped gable
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by
Phillibrook Stream The Phillibrook, or Fillebrook, comes through this area and flows south west Post to the west Leyton Post to the south Leytonstone Post to the east Wanstead - Golf course and basin A12 Section through Leytonstone opened in 1999 as the Hackney-M11 link road Aylmer Road. London City Mission . Building dates from 1885. It was later a clothing factory Browning Road This was Back Lane which went from the High Road to the Forest. Also known as Green Man Lane and in 1893 as Park Road. It became Browning Road in 1900 Cottages built by Lord Wellesley, probably in the 1840’s, to house the workforce which serviced local big houses. 24 North Star . Built as a 'beer house by Lord Wellesley. It was originally two cottages knocked together and first referred to in 1858. There was an off-sales serving hatch. It is either named after a famous steamship or famous train or a ship which an early landlord sailed on. Henry Reynolds Gardens . This is a small park n