London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
This post has not been edited or checked
One of the main roads belonging to the St. Germain's
Estate, built by Cameron Corbett between 1896 and 1905. It was the coming of
the railway and the opening of Hither Green Station in 1895 which made the
building of this large dormitory estate possible — a link with London was
essential. The estate, consisting of 278 acres, stretched from the station west
of the railway line, as far as Muirkirk Road and St. Fillans Road, and to
Hazelbank Road to the South. Although several places of worship were built, no
pubs were allowed.
Site of Priory Farm.Signs of a
moat there, so it could have been an ancient site.
Baptist Church 1902.By Smee, Mence & Houchin: the
Nonconformists' typical brand of 1900 Gothic.
Catford School buildings
The Dartmouth' public
house, used to be called 'The Dartmouth Arms'. The coat-of-arms on the sign
board is that of the Legge family, later the Earls of Dartmouth and Lords of
the Manor of Lewisham since 1673. open tower, good ornamental iron work,
Elmer Road /Laleham Road.
6.41 3rd v2 in London.75 houses
destroyed 11 people killed in 8-12 5-14
Rushey Green Marks and Spencer destroyed, Times, Colliers, etc.
77 Dartmouth Pub. used to be ‘Dartmouth Arms’. There
is a replica of the coat of arms of the Legge family, the Earls of Dartmouth
and Lords of Manor of Lewisham since 1673, Open tower, iron work, chimneys. Note the
ceiling in The saloon - all that is left of the original interior.
Mountsfield Park was named after a mansion house called Mountsfield which was
situated in 6 acres of well-timbered grounds, and was the home of Henry Tibbets
Stainton, the most famous entomologist of the nineteenth century. He was born
in 1822, became secretary of the London Entomological Society, and wrote many
books and papers for scientific journals. He died at Mountsfield in 1892. The
house was demolished, although some out-buildings survived until recently.
After the addition of another 7 acres, the park was opened in 1905, on August
Bank Holiday. The park now consists of over 28 acres, and is laid out with many
sport and entertainment facilities, as well as a one of the most beautiful lower
garden and interesting trees. Children’s playground. Large football and cricket
area.Here was a stream and waterfall, fed by
drains from the higher ground, and surrounded by flowers and shrubs
Athletic Ground. Used by Charlton A.F.C. in the 1920s as a training ground, before
they moved to .Charlton/Added to it.And more in 1935.
Solar Heated Housing - Lewisham's less monumental, friendlier public
housing of the 1970s.Three-storey
terraces of twenty- nine flats, linked by glazed staircases.Their special feature is partial solar heating,
one of its first large-scale applications.Planned
from 197, Royston SummerAssociates
for Lewisham. An interesting experimental housing
scheme. This was the largest solar installation of its kind in the world when
it was originally designed by the architects Royston Summers, in association
with Julian Taylor, Borough Architect of the London Borough of Lewisham. The
development was completed in March 1981.
Was the site of barns
Plassy, Bowers & Southend Roads are the site of Honley Field
St.Andrew1904 by P.
A. Robson. Brick; broad interior with brick piers, narrow aisles with the
flying buttresses of the nave showing inside. Art Nouveau detail. The aisle now
divided off. Wrought-iron screens. Later Stained Glass by M. Travers, 1921-37.
RC Holy Cross 1904 Sanctuary added 1924
Sandhurst road school direct hit on the school. 30 children managed to
get out in time but it exploded in the dining room. 38 children and six
teachers were killed. All buried in Hither Green cemetery
Holy Cross Church.A Roman Catholic brick
church of 1904 by Francis Tasker.The
sanctuary is an extension of 1924, and the front porch was added 1949. The
interior is in classical style the orientation is south. Note the rose window,
the rood, and the murals in the transepts.
Called after Henry Stainton of Mountsfield Park
Goes along the Greenwich
So named after a house which once stood here. The road is
quite unusual as it is built in the form of a rectangle, probably marking the
extent of the house and its grounds.
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by
Phillibrook Stream The Phillibrook, or Fillebrook, comes through this area and flows south west Post to the west Leyton Post to the south Leytonstone Post to the east Wanstead - Golf course and basin A12 Section through Leytonstone opened in 1999 as the Hackney-M11 link road Aylmer Road. London City Mission . Building dates from 1885. It was later a clothing factory Browning Road This was Back Lane which went from the High Road to the Forest. Also known as Green Man Lane and in 1893 as Park Road. It became Browning Road in 1900 Cottages built by Lord Wellesley, probably in the 1840’s, to house the workforce which serviced local big houses. 24 North Star . Built as a 'beer house by Lord Wellesley. It was originally two cottages knocked together and first referred to in 1858. There was an off-sales serving hatch. It is either named after a famous steamship or famous train or a ship which an early landlord sailed on. Henry Reynolds Gardens . This is a small park n