London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
this post has not been edited or checked
Churbim and Seraphim St.
which was part of the grounds of Brambleberry House. Now a designated Site of
Local Importance and is managed as a nature reserve by Plumstead Common Environment
Group. The name is most appropriate, since the site remains an important
breeding ground and home to many species of birds. Also known as Bird's Nest
Hollow, also known as The Dip.Approximately 1.25 hectares in area. After the demolition of St Margaret's
Church in 1970 it gradually became an unofficial dumping ground. Designated a
nature conservation area in 1992, and in 2004 it was granted official status as
a Site of Local Importance. It is aptly named, in view of the huge crop of
blackberries the nature reserve hedgerow produces each year.Secondary woodland covers the majority of the
site: sycamore which is being gradually thinned and coppiced, and ash, with a
number of trees, occasional planes, sessile and English oak, horse chestnut and
silver birch. The shrub layer is dense in places, with frequent holly,
hawthorn, hazel, elder, English elm and, at the northern end, yew. A legacy of
a least part of the site's history as a garden is the single mulberry tree
which remains near the northern perimeter. Clumps of snowdrops can be seen at
the southern end in early spring and bluebells once more cover the eastern
slopes in April-May. The reserve is a haven for bird life and in the open
grassland areas different species of butterfly can be seen.
boulders. A rock studded pit. At the heart of the dip are the puddingstone
boulders which were deposited during the Ice Age and look like Christmas puddings.
allotments with flowers,
scrub, birds and a nature reserve. Entry
is through large wooden gates. This is a wooded embankment on the slopes of
Shooters Hill, bordered by a housing estate with views across the Thames. in 1987 it
was licensed to the London Wildlife Trust as a nature reserve.The grassy upper part of the slope has
brambles spillingdown towards the
damper, area with dense cver.A natural
spring feeds a stream, itself feeding a pond surrounded by soft rush, hairy
willow herb, sweet grass and common reed.There are remains of ancient woodland in oak, ash, birch and wild
service trees.A hawthorn hedge has been
planted along the western edge.There is
a population of frogs and birds - blackcaps, willow warblers and tits.
New houses on west side, gardens to
large house on east.
Garland Road/Dothill Road
Access road to abattoir
Hargor Road. (Not on AZ)
North of Shooters Hill
Complex geology. Plateau of
Blackheath and Woolwich Beds
Old Mill Cottages (not on az)
Old Mill Road
1 The Old Mill
pub.Mill of 1636 was blown down in 1763. The
present one 1764 by James Groom who also got a licence, closed 1847 and the
sails removed. It has been used by the pub ever since. Grade II listed.Pub is Victorian. Lemon coloured has
been a public house since the time of Charles II. It is part of the 18th
century Old Windmill, a smoke mill used until the 1850s.In 1848 the mill ceased to grind wheat and
turned to selling alcohol.
St.Mark with St.
Margarets was a Victorian church, built in 1858, dominated the area with its
substantial tower. By 1965 it was felt in the diocese that there were too many
churches locally and that they were too costly to maintain.St Margaret's had structural problems and in
spite of its local popularity, with its 'village green' setting, the decision
was taken to close in 1966 and combine with St Mark's in Old Mill Road. The
vicarage in Vicarage Park became once again a private house. The church and
neighbouring Victorian mansion, Powis Lodge, were demolished in 1970. St Mark's
too was demolished and a new purpose built church, St Mark with St Margaret,
was built on the Old Mill Road site.All
that remains of the church is the altar, the tubular bells and stained glass
high up on the left in the entrance lobby of St Mark with St Margaret
School.. Built on a site formerly occupied by cottages, this is an
impressive building from 1914—a tall 21/a-storey red brick building in the
classical manner with a brick front facing Plumstead Common.it sustained bomb damage during the 2nd
World War but was restored . A comprehensive for 1,400 girls. It was originally
built as Plumstead County Secondary.Behind is a sports hall, plus a sequence of additions by Powell &
Moya, 1970-3. These buildings, are compact yet not cramped, grouped round a
variety of courtyards, and linked by a spine corridor.. The school has the Old
Mill s its logo. It was opened as an eight form comprehensive school in 1967,
amalgamating three school -King's
Warren grammar school on Old Mill Road, Waverley School on Ancona Road and
Church Manorway in Plumstead. Ancona Road School, as Waverley School had been
originally known, was was an elementary school, as also was Church
Manorway.Plumstead County School for
Girls, had became known as King's Warren, and had been opened following the
1902 Education Act.The building of
1913, had contained every facility for a 'liberal education' for girls and
forms the front part of the Plumstead Manor School.
9 Prince Albert A well
15 cellars of the old mill, used for
grain storage, are under the house.
10-20 Shrewsbury Villas
Two covered reservoirs of
Kent Water Co., 1890s, 850,000 gall at above OD, Plumstead pumping station,
1890 one well and one engine, 63 hp, cottage for the man in charge, 3
reservoirs of each 2m gall, originally reservoirs for Dr.Clarke's process for
softening chalk water in 1858, apparatus softened water with cream of lime, but
chalk precipitate choked it, 1861 Plumstead Woolwich and Charlton Pure Water
Co. auctioned in 1861
Madeira Villas. Mid 19th
Clay Farm House.
Plumstead Common Road
1-4 Heath Villas
44 Lord Bloomfield
101 with sides glazed. 2-storey, one window right
57 Fox and Hounds
102 Unity Cottages 1848
106-108.Two detached 2-storey houses with slate roofs.
106 yellow stock brick with a parapet roof and overhanging
eaves and a painted front to the road
108 19th house
110 arly 19th villa with alterations. 2-storeys
and basement. Low pitched roof with eaves soffit. Multicoloured stock brick
111 Prince of
WalesThe Arsenal Football Club, as it is known today, was originally
formed as Dial Square Football Club, after Dial Square in the Royal Arsenal, at
a meeting held in October 1886 at the Prince of Wales Public House on Plumstead
Links' Clock Tower Built in 1904/5. A prominent local land mark. rising from
and forming part of the doors of the RACS supermarket. First floor central
section in red brick; side withpebbledash render. Second floors have mock Tudor half-timber with
rendered panels. Oriel window to first and second floor of central section Most
of right hand at first floor level is missing. Steeply sloping tiled roof to
ornate clock tower with pyramidal roof topped by weather vane. Co-op terraceMock Tudor style with ornate clock tower and weather vane.Rhine castle style. The Links refers to
uneven ground leading up to Shrewsbury Park.Name of a large house once on the site.
Belle Vue Cottage
– fine portico early 19th
Ebeneezer Terrace 1848
Globe Court is on the site of the Globe Cinema
locally called The Picture Palace and demolished 1955.
'Prince of Wales' P.H. Late 19th Century building in Dutch
style, 2-storeys and attic. Red brick with .white stone dressings. On both
fronts the curved gable at right has a round window with four keystones. High
pitched, slated roof.
Star. Collection of old photographs of
The Dip – the area approaching Blendon
Terrace.Also called The Hollow
Church Polygonal church with prominent corona
almshouses at south east corner of Heavitree Road and Park Road. .
The name comes from fruit
trees which were grown locally. Inned by monks from Lesnes, who owned the area,
and before that the high ground was where the church was on a headland. Chalk
workings and abandoned gravel diggings. The ownership later passed to Queens
College, Oxford. It was used by the War Office who said they had a right to
exercise troops on it- Landmann walking
there in the late 18th went to the battery, which was there.There were later riots and protests by the
Metropolitan Board of Works, led by John de Morgan. This led to the
Metropolitan Board of Works Plumstead Common Act of 1878. The War Office were
allowed to use 72 acres. The Metropolitan Board of Works gave some land to the
LSB and a school was built. Later the London County Council bought the rights
from Queen's College, for £9,000 and then in 1884 bought Sots Hole with a dust
shoot and two cottages on it – a horse and cart fell into them in 1858. The
Rights of the Woolwich Board of Health were extinguished by £500. Queen's
College developed site next to Old Mill Road and bought the Parratt from
British Land Co, 1887. A Roman coffin and skeleton found was sent to Maidstone
Museum in 1890. The Arsenal Football Club’s first match
under the name Royal Arsenal Football Club took place here against Erith on the
8th January 1887.
It is sand and shingle on
the Blackheath beds. The common is made up of acid grassland on the sandy
upland with gorse and broom.There is
oak and birch and bluebells.
First World War
Memorial -'To the Glorious Memory of our fallen
comrades of the 8th London Howitzer Brigade RFA TF who gave their
lives in the Great War of 1914 to 1918'.Sited near where the bandstand once was.
Memorial to George Webb
Bowling Green with its Pavilion within a civic
area with rose beds, spring bulbs and shrubs and hedges.There also used once to be a putting green.
Tennis Courts adjacent to the bowling green.
Boulders near the entrance to the Adventure
Playground.In 1883 noted and it was
guessed they were part of a ‘bluff headland’.
Adventure Playground – on the site of an Edwardian
bandstand where the RA band played in summer. In 1970s replaced by the
playground. Terraced seating or you could sit on the pudding stones.
Bandstand – was the old one from Southwark
Park put there in the 1880s.
Laid out in inferior lawn tennis
courts. Belongs to LCC. The ground rises rapidly to Plumstead Common with
sudden dips east and west. Soil gravel and chalk with
bits of clay on the high ground.
Estate of Shrewsbury
Housewith old woodland. At the golf course boundary are London County Council
The Oaks. Grassy gully with
flat bottom and steep sides, trees, lots of children swing down the slope.
High Grove.A small area of ancient woodland with oak,
birch, ash and sycamore.There is also
wild service and maple.
may be seen elsewhere in thearea, notably along
the fence which separates ShrewsburyPark from
Shooters Hill golf course and at the end ofWinn's
House. Now a community centre.
St John's Road,
Ending abruptly in a miniature
precipe at the west end,
St Margaret's Grove
School – Victorian
School and now a C. of E. Primary
School.A plaque says: ‘Plumstead Central Schools
erected by Grant of £1000 from the War Department. The voluntary contributions
of 3807 parishioners and a further grant from the Committee of Council on
Education Rev. W.Acworth Vicar. John Cooke, William May Churchwardens”.This is a modest
village school of 1856, with a steep roof and a tower with small metal steeple.
Inside there is a memorial of St.Margaret's church in a stained glass window
set in a box. It shows St Margaret praying, with the words "Lord lettest
now thy servant depart in peace'' underneath it.
Azile Everitt House site of St Margaret's Church, became parish church in 1864. St Margarets, was a Victorian church, built in 1858, dominated the
area with its substantial tower. By 1965 it was felt in the diocese that there
were too many churches locally and that they were too costly to maintain.St Margaret's had structural problems and in
spite of its local popularity, with its 'village green' setting, the decision
was taken to close in 1966 and combine with St Mark's in Old Mill Road.The church and neighbouring Victorian
mansion, Powis Lodge, were demolished in 1970. St Mark's too was demolished and
a new purpose built church, St Mark with St Margaret, was built on the Old Mill
Road site.For reasons, which seem hard
to justify now, and in spite of vigorous opposition from residents and members
of the Plumstead Society, predecessors of Plumstead Common Environment Group,
Greenwich Council erected a huge twelve storey block of flats, Azile Everitt
House, on the site of St Margaret's in 1976/7. It is this block, totally out of
scale with neighbouring housing, which now dominates. All that remains of the
church is the altar, the tubular bells and stained glass high up on the left in
the entrance lobby of St Mark with St Margaret, and another stained glass
window, set in a box in the school.
The vicarage in Vicarage Park became once again a private
Plumstead Common Balloon Site. run from a commandeered house towards the south end of the
terrace. The balloon site was on the Common immediately across the road. A crew
was made up to man the site twenty four hours at a time. The cooks occupied
another house further down to the left. The balloon site itself consisted of a
perimeter wire supported at intervals by stakes to which the tail of the
balloon was tethered by a pulley. The main cable of the balloon was fixed to a
pulley in the centre. When the wind veered the tail pulley had to be moved to
the appropriate section of the perimeter wire. If the wind became very strong the
balloon was tethered to the ground by ropes from the rigging to concrete
blocks. The main cable was led along the ground and onto a whim on the winch
operated by a petrol engine on a trailer. There was also a stack of bottles of
hydrogen with which the balloon was filled. The gas pressure was checked daily
and topped up as necessary."
The Shree Kutch Satang Swaminarayan
Temple. This building, which is adjacent to St
Margaret's Church of England Primary School and was previously used as a
Territorial Army drill hall and rifle range, became a Temple in August 1988.
Its opening was marked by a large procession from Woolwich, along Plumstead
Common Road and Blendon Terrace. Festivals take place in August each year and
at Diwali in late October. The building was completely re-designed for its
changed use and is an attractive feature today
Tilice Road.(Not on AZ)
almshouses.Instituted by Colonel E Hughes MP Trustees
Robert Low, Esq., Thomas Nelson Moors Esq., Frances Alfred White, Henry
Frederick Driver Esq. This stone was laid by Thomas Nelson Moors Esq. 4 July
1896 A.H.Kersey Architect Builder J.B.Sandford & Co.
The Lodge. Corner of St.John's Terrace. Fine
Victorian building a distinctive landmark on the common.
The Stables which adjoins The Lodge is actually
sited inside the fenced Council Yard.
The Ship on the corner of Wernbrook Street.
In the 1990s called ‘Commoners Rest’ for a while
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by
Phillibrook Stream The Phillibrook, or Fillebrook, comes through this area and flows south west Post to the west Leyton Post to the south Leytonstone Post to the east Wanstead - Golf course and basin A12 Section through Leytonstone opened in 1999 as the Hackney-M11 link road Aylmer Road. London City Mission . Building dates from 1885. It was later a clothing factory Browning Road This was Back Lane which went from the High Road to the Forest. Also known as Green Man Lane and in 1893 as Park Road. It became Browning Road in 1900 Cottages built by Lord Wellesley, probably in the 1840’s, to house the workforce which serviced local big houses. 24 North Star . Built as a 'beer house by Lord Wellesley. It was originally two cottages knocked together and first referred to in 1858. There was an off-sales serving hatch. It is either named after a famous steamship or famous train or a ship which an early landlord sailed on. Henry Reynolds Gardens . This is a small park n