London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
this post has not been edited or checked
Post to the north Shooters Hill
A2 Relief Road
1885-88. 244 house
demolished and 8 acres of open space gone. Green Link Bridge across the two
bits of Eltham Park.
Grid of streets with
Scottish names round the station. Thomas Jackson's estate bought by Jamieson
and sold to Corbett. Lib MP for Glasgow. Land bought in 1895 by Corbett. No
alcohol. Corbett built his poshest houses within easy walking distance of the
railway but out of sight of it. Cheaper houses either nearer the railway or on
the far edge of the estate.
dene hole. 1878, a shaft and chamber discovered.In order to remedy the water supply, workmen
discovered that water ran into a disused brick shaft with abrick crown. The shaft was 100 yards from a
houseand was 140 ft. deep widening into a chamber in .chalk, which was 40 ft.
by 50 ft. and 9 ft high.It had aflat roof in a band of flint, and was
supported by three pillars of chalk in the centre.The shaft was lined as far as the chalk.
There were eight courses of brickwork in the chalk lining.The whole of the lining rested on a plate of
wood on a ledge.
two Roman burial urns also
found which were smashed by accident.
Shop was on the site of a
hut stayed there and used as a shop until 1958
Used for hutments
Used for hutments
Used for hutments
Used for hutments
One hut at least still used
as garden shed
Used for hutments
Eltham Park Gardens
Corbett c. 1909
Eltham Park Station,
Station. 1st July
1908 by the South East and Chatham Railway. Opened as ‘Shooters Hill and Eltham
Park’.The line had been proposed by
landowners along the route and the station was part of a law suit between
Corbett, the developer, and the owner of land. Substantial and capacious, brick
booking office, footbridge with shops in the original building. Very impressive
with covered walkways and platforms on a
gradient.. Designed by Alfred William Blomfield and laid out by Jackson,
1849-84, civil engineer of Bexley Railway. On the east side of Westmount Road
but street buildings converted to shops after the booking office had been moved
onto the footbridge.. In 1927 it was renamed ‘Eltham Park’. closed 3/85. Some street level buildings
survive and are listed.
Shooters Hill sub station alongside
Park House stood opposite
Golf Course: Gravel path
lane and nature study centre. Warren source of spring water for palace and moat
and lots of springs. Gravel pits of 1740s. Grassland etc. foxes and rabbits.
Drainage ditch across the golf course ancient derelict hedges around. Round
Eltham Park North
Bought by London County
Council 1929 after pressure from WBC. North part bought in 1930 to conserve the
old Long Pond Walk.Woodlands, and a special atmosphere,particularly around the Long Pond. Surrounded on three
sides by Shepherdleas Woods.The
grassland is managed as meadow.
Long Pond.Lots of frogs and water birds. This is an ancient long pond,probably dug 1800-1830 and used as a boating
lake in mid-19th.It is attractive,with its overhanging trees. .
Children’s play area, a putting green and tennis courts.
Eltham Park South
This very large area of open space is divided by the railway lineand the Rochester Way Relief Road, which run alongside
each other in a deep cutting.Eltham Park South was
acquired by the LondonCounty Council in
1902, as public open
space. An early open space in the area. ).
large grassed area with sports facilities
Open air swimming pool
opened 1924. Closed and derelict
Used for hutments
Blackheath to Falconwood is a green
corridor with cuttings and embankments with sycamore and oak woodland.Hawthorn and bramble providing habitat for
birds and animals.
Deansfield. Old playing field surrounded by
Shepherdleas Wood.Rough grassland with
scrub and young trees.
of the ancient forest that covers Shooters Hill and itforms part of Eltham Park.Many of the trees were damaged by the storm
of 1987.Acquired 1934.There are fine views. It was acquired by the London County Council at
the same time as Oxleas Wood
and had similar characteristics to it. it is designated a site of special scientific interest, and is classified as ancient
woodland, though there have been many changes. The dominant tree is oak, and there are also sweet chestnut, blackthorn, aspen, hazel, birch, ash, wild cherry, as
well as the rarer wild service tree. There is a wide variety of shrubs, wild herbs
and other wild plants in denseundergrowth. there is
a fine display of bluebells in the late spring, particularly on thewestern side..There
is a good network of footpaths through the woods.
92/98 Station Parade.Shops in what was originally Eltham Park
Station. 96 was the booking office. The
station was originally built by the firm ofSir
Arthur Blomfield & Son in 1908 to serve the Eltham Park Estate, already at
that time well advanced in
construction. It was quite splendid, with covered walkways down ramps to the
canopied platforms. It was originally called Shooters Hill & Eltham Park
Station, and was renamedEltham Park in 1927.
It was closed in 1985 and replaced by Eltham Station. The remains (which can
be viewed from Glenlea Road across the Rochester WayRelief Road) consist of the platforms and, behind the
shops, a short and derelictsection of the wooden
covered walkway. The original station building is now 92/98Westmount Road, having between the wars become a parade
of shops; 96 with itsdistinctive upper part
was the original entrance and booking office.
285 Co-op Bungalow branch
opened 1917. In three huts. Closed when the new shop opened in Well Hall
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by
Phillibrook Stream The Phillibrook, or Fillebrook, comes through this area and flows south west Post to the west Leyton Post to the south Leytonstone Post to the east Wanstead - Golf course and basin A12 Section through Leytonstone opened in 1999 as the Hackney-M11 link road Aylmer Road. London City Mission . Building dates from 1885. It was later a clothing factory Browning Road This was Back Lane which went from the High Road to the Forest. Also known as Green Man Lane and in 1893 as Park Road. It became Browning Road in 1900 Cottages built by Lord Wellesley, probably in the 1840’s, to house the workforce which serviced local big houses. 24 North Star . Built as a 'beer house by Lord Wellesley. It was originally two cottages knocked together and first referred to in 1858. There was an off-sales serving hatch. It is either named after a famous steamship or famous train or a ship which an early landlord sailed on. Henry Reynolds Gardens . This is a small park n