Isleworth

 this post has not been checked and edited

Copper Mill Drive

John Broad's 16th century brass and copper mill

Grove Road

Primary school

Hall Road

2 County Arms

Hartham Road,

Is their a connection with Capricorn

Pear's Lanadron Soap Works

Isleworth

An ancient town – charter of 677 which calls it ‘Gishereusyrth’ – ‘the enclosed settlement of Gslhere’.  ‘G’ dropped before the 13th.   The history of this name demonstrates a bewildering variety of spellings; the first syllable alone has been ‘Gis-‘, ‘Ist-‘, and ‘Yst’; ‘Hist-‘, ‘Yist-‘, ‘Yhist-‘, and even ‘Thist’-. That the modern form should be phonetically so close to the earliest record of the name demonstrates the strength of oral tradition and its ability to withstand scribal vacillation. The first form cited below comes from a forged charter, but the document is regarded as reliable in its spelling of place names, almost certainly derived from an original deed of the purported date  ‘Gistelesworde’ 1086 in the Domesday Book, ‘Istleworth’ 1231, ‘Thystelworth’ (sic) 1477, ‘Iseliworth’ 1576. After the reformation available land made this an area for the rich to move to. 

Linkfield Road

London Road

Crowthers Yard 10 acres of antiques

183 Coach and Horses

Rose and Crown.  The pub name symbolises the union of York and Lancaster in the marriage of Henry VI  and Elizabeth of York. 

574 Milford Arms

Isleworth Station. 1849. Between Hounslow and Syon Lane on South Western Trains. Line from Barnes in 1849 on the Windsor, Staines and South Western Railway when it replaced Smallberry Green. It is at the boundary between Isleworth and Hounslow. Extended to Feltham in 1850. In 1989 the up side canopy was removed and neglect to the station house led to increased vandalism.

Odeon Parade

Conversion of Isleworth film studios into flats. It was a George Coles Odeon cinema - not very inspired internally, as if he had not yet got into his stride with 'modern' Odeons, but the exterior was very nice indeed. Opened in March 1935. The third Odeon by Coles, it shows how he quickly adapted his more traditional style to the simple modernism of the Odeon circuit, with Germanic curves and effective lighting. This cinema closed in 1957 to become a film studio.

Osterley Road

Were laid out by 1855, and nearly a hundred houses were up b 1887. A few original houses tall gaunt classical villas in spacious gardens, faced with Taylor's own patent stone

St.Mary's church built and spire collapsed twice. Faced with Taylor's own patent stone

Quaker Lane

Friends Meeting House

Raybell Court

Housing Manning & Clamp, 1976, a traditional almshouse composition in brown brick with steeply pitched roofs.

Smallbury Green

Supposed to be place of the ton for Whitton

Spring Grove

Remains of a grander Victorian suburb which grew up on the edge of a former hamlet called Smallberry Green. It as developed around Sir Joseph Banks's former house by John Taylor Jun., for H. D. Davies, who bought the Spring Grove estate in 1850 and further land a few years later.

St John's Road

St John the Baptist church. Paid for by the brewery owners and completed in 1857

Watneys Brewery. This was both the largest and the oldest commercial enterprise in the village. Founded in 1726, it gradually expanded to incorporate other mills on the river and was eventually sold to Watneys in 1924. Brewing ceased in Isleworth in 1952 although bottling continued till later. Dinosaur humps rising behind Gumley Gardens. The buildings by S. Hutching of Watney Mann include two with Silberkuhl roofs - no internal columns, the single-storey beer warehouse of 1964-5 and a two-storey building of 1967-70 with bottling and canning hall on the upper floor.

The Grove

A few original houses tall gaunt classical villas in spacious gardens, face with Taylor's own patent stone

Thornbury Common

This was the name of the common, which lay between Osterley and Spring Grove.

Woodlands Road

A mid c19 commuters' suburb of modest stucco trimmed villas near the railway

Woodlands Grove

A mid c19 commuters' suburb of modest stucco trimmed villas near the railway

Wood Lane

Level Crossing, Hounslow station adjoined it 1849-1850

Hounslow Smallberry Green Station 22nd August 1849. London and South West Railway by Wood Lane level crossing. Temporary terminus for trains from Barnes to Feltham. 1850 closed

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South Norwood

Bromley by Bow

Phillibrook Stream - Leytonstone